Page 457 of 527 FirstFirst ... 357 407 447 455 456 457 458 459 467 507 ... LastLast
Results 13,681 to 13,710 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I listen to the Only 12 inch with remixes by EL-P and Richard X quite often. Only is great song.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    I listen to the Only 12 inch with remixes by EL-P and Richard X quite often. Only is great song.
    They're also on the CD single for Every Day Is Exactly The Same... but I gotta say, some of the live performances of Only are also really quite good (LITS).

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This is definitely going to be a Closure/Woodstock 1994 weekend for me. Those seem to be the ultimate/perfect videos to commemorate The Downward Spiral with. (That is, aside from the 2009 performance of The Downward Spiral in its entirety at the Webster Hall in New York City.)

I've also got to say, that as fascinated as I already am about the overall journey/transition/aftermath of The Downward Spiral to The Fragile to With Teeth, it makes me even more grateful to have Closure, And All That Could Have Been (Live) and Beside You In Time accompany them. Perhaps I'll also watch those videos on The Fragile and With Teeth anniversaries as well.

It makes it even more perfect for me, since for me, the TDS anniversary is on a Friday, and the TF anniversary will be on a Saturday and the PHM anniversary will be on a Sunday.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-08-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    And a... (shudders) concert video:

Dude, it's a GREAT concert video. The presentation and visuals are excellent. Yeah, Ged's hair is absurd, but it was the eighties.

Do you not like that era of Rush?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Dude, it's a GREAT concert video. The presentation and visuals are excellent. Yeah, Ged's hair is absurd, but it was the eighties.

Do you not like that era of Rush?
    In general, it's okay, but certain things are best left frozen in the 80s (like hair); for example, I can't stand "Closer to the Heart" played with those Simmons E-drums and Wal bass... and that harmonizer effect on the guitar solo... ick.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    In general, it's okay, but certain things are best left frozen in the 80s (like hair); for example, I can't stand "Closer to the Heart" played with those Simmons E-drums and Wal bass... and that harmonizer effect on the guitar solo... ick.
    Well, aren't I a bit older than you?
    I haven't watched that vid since I was a teenager. I was watching it over and over on VHS from like, 91 to 96- I was a Rush FANATIC, and the eighties were fairly recent at that point. I was watching it from 7th grade to 10th grade.
    For the record, I FAR prefer more recent rush concert vids now, so, in a way, you and me, we agree. I'm reaching for the Alien Shore.

/End Drift

SO. YEah. I want an NIN VIDEO. I NEVER listen to official live albums, aside from a handful of INSANELY iconic recordings, like nirvana unplugged. The visuals are a MaSSIVE part of what "live" means for me, ESPECIALLY with an act like NIN.
    I can already hear the argument against what I'm saying: hell, I could write it.
    But these are just my (ultimately inconsequential) opinions.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm finally listening to the 5.1 mix of With Teeth out of curiosity and holy shit. I need to find a way to listen to the TDS one now I think. I have the remaster with the SACD disc but I have absolutely no idea what to do with it, or if I even have the ability to play back the SACD layer.
    Last edited by Disassociative; 03-10-2019 at 04:09 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Alright I found a guilt free way to listen to it since I already own the SACD and holy. fucking. shit. TR hurry up and release The Fragile like this :C

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    A show of hands is my favorite rush live album, the versions of subdivisons, marathon and witch Hunt are stellar.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    score! my local record store has a cafe attached. went for breakfast this morning & found a copy of the 2 disc "and all that could've been" for $5 in used cds. perfect condition. good start to the day!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotinCnStopMeNow View Post
    Just listened to the surround sound mix of With Teeth for the first time in atleast 10 years. Damn we need more of the albums done this way. It’s a completely different album, when people rank the best NIN albums this is the real version that should be considered. Great stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    The surround mix of TDS is great too.
    I know I'm just repeating what's already on most fans' minds, but it always obviously helped that The Downward Spiral and With Teeth are among my most favorite Nine Inch Nails albums. I totally understand, not just a fellow fan, but the fact that it's the ultimate rare case and pleasant surprise of adding more to love on something that was already a lot to love.

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Well, aren't I a bit older than you?
    I haven't watched that vid since I was a teenager. I was watching it over and over on VHS from like, 91 to 96- I was a Rush FANATIC, and the eighties were fairly recent at that point. I was watching it from 7th grade to 10th grade.
    For the record, I FAR prefer more recent rush concert vids now, so, in a way, you and me, we agree. I'm reaching for the Alien Shore.

/End Drift

SO. YEah. I want an NIN VIDEO. I NEVER listen to official live albums, aside from a handful of INSANELY iconic recordings, like nirvana unplugged. The visuals are a MaSSIVE part of what "live" means for me, ESPECIALLY with an act like NIN.
    I can already hear the argument against what I'm saying: hell, I could write it.
    But these are just my (ultimately inconsequential) opinions.
    While I see what you mean as much as I sometimes still like to collect DVDs, I still enjoy listening to And All That Could Have Been (Live) on CD. At the same time though, I'm all for it, as I loved Closure, And All That Could Have Been (Live) and Beside You In Time videos. The visuals are definitely a given and always a reminder that visuals are a tremendous part of NIN's music. On the other hand, sometimes I like to separate the visuals from the audio to see how it holds up. (And hold up it does and then some, but it's also just another form of getting enjoyment out of music to me. I even do this with albums as somebody that also still sometimes like to collect CDs, while appreciating their artwork and liner notes.)

Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    Alright I found a guilt free way to listen to it since I already own the SACD and holy. fucking. shit. TR hurry up and release The Fragile like this :C
    I've also, and as I'm sure as many other fans have thought of, was wondering about this since 2009. I hope it finally happens some day. I mean, yeah. I can only hope, dream and wish. But I completely agree nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    score! my local record store has a cafe attached. went for breakfast this morning & found a copy of the 2 disc "and all that could've been" for $5 in used cds. perfect condition. good start to the day!
    Very lucky. I always wished for a deal like that on Still. Happy listening.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-10-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I feel really, really, really stupid for not realizing that the middle of WT isn't silent. I just found out less than a week ago about the absolute gold that's in the middle of the song awithateeha.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andallthatcouldhavebeen View Post
    I feel really, really, really stupid for not realizing that the middle of WT isn't silent. I just found out less than a week ago about the absolute gold that's in the middle of the song awithateeha.
    AWITH-ATee-THuh...HaWITHAtee....
    @Halo Infinity , I feel you, but I'm just not in the same boat. It's a 1st world problem, I thinkm

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Mumford & Sons cover Hurt, the voice is definitely Cash-esque although it’s in Cleveland - I only heard the first few lines, done in a bizarre slow way, not keen although if I get more time to listen perhaps it improves
    https://www.binaural.es/noticias/mumford-and-sons-hurt/
    fffffffffffFFFFFUCK mumford and sons i fucking hate them so much oh my god they are so awful and every time i hear that guy's voice it makes me want to die

i am absolutely not clicking that link because it will completely ruin "hurt" for me forever

/foaming at mouth

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    It's a no from me, dawg.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    I have the remaster with the SACD disc but I have absolutely no idea what to do with it, or if I even have the ability to play back the SACD layer.
    Sony is the only major company that makes Blu-ray players with SACD capability. I think even some PlayStations have them too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Sony is the only major company that makes Blu-ray players with SACD capability. I think even some PlayStations have them too.
    Ooh good to know. I think I have a Sony bluray player somewhere

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I found out by happenstance and was so happy for it, despite not having a surround system at the time. Now I do and I've enjoyed listening to the SACD's I've bought, even though I have to switch some wires around to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been wondering, since I haven't held an actual vinyl in my hands, but know a bit or two about stuff and things and whatnot...

Do you think Bad Witch has hidden music in the label itself? A la Lazaretto?

I don't know if the kind of texture I've seen on Bad Witch's photos ( https://img.discogs.com/l9dw-T1utF3U...-9459.jpeg.jpg ) is normal in all vinyls, but I haven't seen it, at least, in other vinyl photos.

Anyone willing to fuck up their copy of Bad Witch for the sake of science?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolick Shiawase View Post
    I've been wondering, since I haven't held an actual vinyl in my hands, but know a bit or two about stuff and things and whatnot...

Do you think Bad Witch has hidden music in the label itself? A la Lazaretto?

I don't know if the kind of texture I've seen on Bad Witch's photos ( https://img.discogs.com/l9dw-T1utF3U...-9459.jpeg.jpg ) is normal in all vinyls, but I haven't seen it, at least, in other vinyl photos.

Anyone willing to fuck up their copy of Bad Witch for the sake of science?
    Nah, that's a pretty normal texture on vinyl. I wouldn't recommend trying anything with it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I have both versions of TDS and the SACD is the way to go. I use a Sony 5 disc DVD changer I bought in 2004/5 that i still use to this day.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The 2017 DE remaster is my preference on my phone or laptop or wearing headphones or whatever but from now on the surround sound mix is my new favourite way to listen to it when possible thankfully I got my PC hooked up to a decent 5.1 system and a proper soundcard so that's a fairly easy way to go for the surround sound version. Would I get crucified for revealing I ended up finding a way to listen to it via a ISO rip of the SACD and playing it through foobar2000 with a plugin? Like I said I already own the SACD so that's my justification :P

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Maybe it is just me, but the bassline (or guitar, i'm not very good with instruments) to Eraser sounds a lot like My Sharona. Crazy it took me 25 years to hear this
    Last edited by 3knic; 03-15-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3knic View Post
    Maybe it is just me, but the bassline (or guitar, i'm not very good with instruments) to Eraser sounds a lot like My Sharona. Crazy it took me 25 years to hear this
    A few NIN songs sound like My Sharona

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3knic View Post
    If we're thinking of the same part, it's just two notes alternating between an octave. Still funny, though.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    No, the part the OP refers to is not actually the bassline, it's the synth melody.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

One of these days I’m gonna flip to the 2nd picture on that eBay listing for Closer and finally see that sweet, sweet white Further Away disk. Any day now... I can feel it.

Last edited by cheddamash; 03-17-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Between 15-20 years ago, a friend and I were browsing through a local used record shop. They also had a bunch of CDs. My friend comes up to me and says shows me a copy of Closer To God, saying "Hey, you like NIN, right? Look what I found". It was the white disc, and was extremely cheap (iirc about £4). I told him it was pretty rare, and he immediately then went to the counter to buy it. He knew I was a huge NIN fan, yet he bought it for himself.

I think he may have been a huge asshole.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I think he may have been a huge asshole.