Page 436 of 528 FirstFirst ... 336 386 426 434 435 436 437 438 446 486 ... LastLast
Results 13,051 to 13,080 of 15835

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I personally can't stand to listen to 2005 rehearsals. Trent and the bound sound slightly off in them and the mix sounds odd to me.
    There's a few songs where I don't think it sounds very good. SICNH and Sin especially. Jeordie's bass sound is way too harsh on Sin.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    There's a few songs where I don't think it sounds very good. SICNH and Sin especially. Jeordie's bass sound is way too harsh on Sin.
    Sin comes to mind also. Trent's vocals at times sound a little lazy but i think that's the nature with rehearsals. I haven't listened to them in years, so I can't think of any specific examples.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I've been listening to a ton of NIN bootlegs from 1994-2018 over the last couple of months and I can't help but simultaneously smile and roll my eyes every time Trent introduces a song by saying something like, "this is one of our favorites" or "we did this for <movie title>'s soundtrack" as if anyone but him is responsible for the (vast majority of the) songs he's introducing. It's just weird to me to hear him use group pronouns to refer to NIN when HE and HE ALONE is Nine Inch Nails (until 2017 anyway).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    I've been listening to a ton of NIN bootlegs from 1994-2018 over the last couple of months and I can't help but simultaneously smile and roll my eyes every time Trent introduces a song by saying something like, "this is one of our favorites" or "we did this for <movie title>'s soundtrack" as if anyone but him is responsible for the (vast majority of the) songs he's introducing. It's just weird to me to hear him use group pronouns to refer to NIN when HE and HE ALONE is Nine Inch Nails (until 2017 anyway).
    Maybe he’s using the royal “we...”

There are some songs that the rest of the live band worked on. Memorabilia and the Quake soundtrack spring to mind.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Maybe he’s using the royal “we...”

There are some songs that the rest of the live band worked on. Memorabilia and the Quake soundtrack spring to mind.
    Right, totally. There definitely are situations where other members of the band had a part in the studio songs in some way and in the case of 1994-2000, it makes more sense to say. But with the 2005-2007 lineup and most of the 2008 and 2009 lineup (aside from Robin in 2008-2009), none of them were a part of the band in any way, shape or form.

Good call about the royal "we"

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Atticus was. We just didn't hear about it until 2016.

EDIT... I should also say: the UK reporter from that recent piece in The Quietus (my fellow Numanoid, Mr. John Doran) had interviewed TR before, circa With Teeth, and he wrote about his genuine surprise to discover upon walking into the room that he was meant to also be interviewing Atticus about NIN in this year's round of press interviews, as well. Then again, Atticus has also had writing credits since 2007 with every track on Ghosts I-IV, and helped with the programming and production of the previous two records, so it's not like he was exactly sidelined for his contributions either.

But, yeah, there's a more defined era of him being "In. The. Band." only now with the last three records (along with their central roles as members of How to Destroy Angels).
    Last edited by botley; 08-02-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Dear God this makes me miss the nineties.
    I was gonna put it in NIN spotting but decided it was a little too off colour.
    But yeah, the Courtney Love/Trent Reznor/Evan Dando/Billy Corgan show was a fucking HOOT in 1994-95

I honestly kind of miss the insanity of it all.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    But yeah, the Courtney Love/Trent Reznor/Evan Dando/Billy Corgan show was a fucking HOOT in 1994-95

It's still there on social media. Not so much with those personalities, the culture has obviously moved on, but celebrity musicians in the modern-day tabloid press are still A Thing.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

Right but back then, it was a bunch of my favorite bands and I was fourteen.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Right, totally. There definitely are situations where other members of the band had a part in the studio songs in some way and in the case of 1994-2000, it makes more sense to say. But with the 2005-2007 lineup and most of the 2008 and 2009 lineup (aside from Robin in 2008-2009), none of them were a part of the band in any way, shape or form.

Good call about the royal "we"
    All jokes aside, I would assume that it just comes out like that naturally when you’re standing on a stage with several other people.

It’s never been “Trent Reznor & Nine Inch Nails,” so I can imagine it would just be awkward for everyone, including Trent himself, if he only referred to himself during stage banter. The live band has always been presented as a tight unit. Not just as a backing band for one guy.

It also makes sense for the average concert goer who may just be a casual fan.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Whenever I hear Atticus Ross talk I feel like I'm listening to someone who is wearing one of those big hats with a cane from the Victorian era.. from around 1886.

I like it...I wish more people spoke like that now a days... it sounds very classy...his voice has such a shameless masculine command...quite sexy...the Americans and Brits and Canadians and Australians have lost class in the past few decades....he is shaming us..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    If the supposed music video is for I'm Not From This World, it would actually be very very interesting. As it's a bit of a soundtrack already, it would be an incredible addition to the album. And I would watch it everytime.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Whenever I hear Atticus Ross talk I feel like I'm listening to someone who is wearing one of those big hats with a cane from the Victorian era.. from around 1886.

I like it...I wish more people spoke like that now a days... it sounds very classy...his voice has such a shameless masculine command...quite sexy...the Americans and Brits and Canadians and Australians have lost class in the past few decades....he is shaming us..
    People in the UK still speak like him. Depends where you go. The local accent changes every few miles here. He probably had a good upbringing and went to a private school where good elocution was encouraged.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    the fragile is to the end of the 90s what disintegration was to the end of the 80s.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    People in the UK still speak like him. Depends where you go. The local accent changes every few miles here. He probably had a good upbringing and went to a private school where good elocution was encouraged.
    His whole early life was fascinating, @sheepdean linked to a Tatler article about him, apparently his dad (or father as he is posh) moved them to Los Angeles to open a roller rink and when it failed had to become a butler for Beverley Hills families to make ends meet. He wrote a book about it, I can't find the article now though. Also yes He went to Eton the poshest private school but bunked off the whole time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really like Where is Everybody, I'm not sure if it is popular among the die hard fans but to me the song has so many layers of sound. Does anyone know what effect is used towards the end? Are they strings reveresed? I'm no musician but it sounds like it may have been a super complicated song to finish.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrickooo View Post
    I really like Where is Everybody, I'm not sure if it is popular among the die hard fans but to me the song has so many layers of sound. Does anyone know what effect is used towards the end? Are they strings reveresed? I'm no musician but it sounds like it may have been a super complicated song to finish.
    I always thought it would be a good song to do in place of Me, I'm Not or The Warning on a Setlist especially now that Atticus is in the band. It's got a very similar vibe. I wonder if Trent finds the chorus embarassing though, because he's said some things on The Fragile are embarassing but I know his opinions on his own work can change alot over time.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Or better yet, they should play the remix!

But seriously, I would love to hear some tracks that haven't been played in a while (or at all). I remember how awesome it was to hear that new version of "Sanctified" five years ago and thinking that they should revitalize a few more old songs. It was nice to hear "I Do Not Want This" played recently, but moments like that seem few and far between.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've been just basking in the satisfaction of the trilogy being completed, while also still trying to process it all. For quite a while even before With Teeth came out, I was actually wondering if Nine Inch Nails would release CDs around similar lengths of the likes of Broken and Still, and I got much more than I ever expected with Not The Actual Events, Add Violence and Bad Witch in under the span of 2 complete years nonetheless.

And then it also hit me that Hesitation Marks and Bad Witch are also with in the 5 year span thing that's been around NIN's albums since the beginning.

With that being said, and this is just a given, but it also just leaves me more excited to have a chance to see any of those songs live, as with any new NIN releases at the time being.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrickooo View Post
    one of the sounds at the end is a slide on a guitar just being rubbed around a bit, i believe.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Reminds me of the cover of Add Violence. More info here.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Or better yet, they should play the remix!

But seriously, I would love to hear some tracks that haven't been played in a while (or at all). I remember how awesome it was to hear that new version of "Sanctified" five years ago and thinking that they should revitalize a few more old songs. It was nice to hear "I Do Not Want This" played recently, but moments like that seem few and far between.
    Following up on this: I would love nothing more than to hear a reworked version of "Ringfinger". There's so much they could do with it, especially in regards to the ending. Just imagine Robin playing that fuzzy riff before the whole band explodes into the finale.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Following up on this: I would love nothing more than to hear a reworked version of "Ringfinger". There's so much they could do with it, especially in regards to the ending. Just imagine Robin playing that fuzzy riff before the whole band explodes into the finale.

God damn Ringfinger is such a banger, always forget about it for some reason then instantly remember how much it kicks ass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder how unofficial releases like this one make it to NIN‘s Spotify:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Maybe it is too obvious but... imagine a tour package of NIN + The Black Queen + Crosses

One can dream, right?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laci View Post

Reminds me of the cover of Add Violence. More info here.
    first record i thought of was this one

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soma View Post
    Maybe it is too obvious but... imagine a tour package of NIN + The Black Queen + Crosses

One can dream, right?
    Greg would do that in a second since he loves NIN. I am sure Chino would be down as well

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Lately I can’t get enough of the Still version of The Becoming. Pure, raw anguish that oozes from my speakers. The Still version increased my liking of the song tenfold.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The director of the agency I work for stopped by today along with a couple women from HR. The director noticed the NIN shirt I was wearing and commented on it. One of the women from HR said she wasn't familiar with the band. The director then asked me what NIN's most popular song was. I declined to answer the question. I figured it was probably best not to tell anyone from HR about NIN's most popular song.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    For some reason I'd love a Still-version of Burning Bright. Even though it so layered, a version with a piano/guitar/bass/keyboard in a small room could be beautiful.