Page 435 of 485 FirstFirst ... 335 385 425 433 434 435 436 437 445 ... LastLast
Results 13,021 to 13,050 of 14539

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I listen to new and old stuff. I've never been of the mindset that music made before a certain time was "the good stuff". If you set that limitation for yourself, you'll never enjoy new music.

Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    I'm watching a documentary on Columbine and there's a picture of Eric Harris with his backpack on his lap, and it's got an NIN logo and a Sin logo on it.

Then I read that Dylan was a huge NIN fan and that either one or both of them referenced TDS in journals they kept.

Funny that I don't remember hearing of this before.

Did the media go after Marilyn because he was an easier target?

Apparently what these kids were REALLY big fans of was NIN and Ramstein.

Please note that I'm not trying to claim the music influenced the event; rather, it just tripped me out to see that backpack mostly.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Manson was flashier, hence an easier target for the media. Also, Columbine happened before The Fragile came out, so Trent wasn't in the public eye as much since there hadn't been any new music (aside from The Perfect Drug) in five years.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    The idea that the Columbine thing ‘ruined’ Mansons career was ridiculous anyway, it probably just added to his notoriety and becoming a household name in the US

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tangentially related: The book "Columbine" released in 2009 is a terrific and insightful read.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm watching a documentary on Columbine and there's a picture of Eric Harris with his backpack on his lap, and it's got an NIN logo and a Sin logo on it.

Then I read that Dylan was a huge NIN fan and that either one or both of them referenced TDS in journals they kept.

Funny that I don't remember hearing of this before.

Did the media go after Marilyn because he was an easier target?

Apparently what these kids were REALLY big fans of was NIN and Ramstein.

Please note that I'm not trying to claim the music influenced the event; rather, it just tripped me out to see that backpack mostly.

I read Columbine (2009) and they talked about how Dylan was mostly depressed/isolated while Eric was more the leader/psychopath of the group. Dylan referenced The Downward Spiral in a journal he kept.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    The idea that the Columbine thing ‘ruined’ Mansons career was ridiculous anyway, it probably just added to his notoriety and becoming a household name in the US

it's really not ridiculous. He was on a lot of drugs at the time too. that, combined with the killings made him paranoid to tour. they cancelled the show at red rocks scheduled a few days after the shooting. i was in high school at the time. i remember how i happy i was that nin put out the fragile that year-the fans were starving. i was getting food thrown at me every day at lunch and shit for just having a black shirt, headphones, and trenchcoat. by the time winter came that year, i dropped out. i went back and got my diploma next year in night school, where people wouldn't be capable of ganging up against me, doing what was known as the 'walk up'. five j ocks coming up to a kid under 130 lbs "if you shot up the whole school, you wouldn't kill me right? because you look like you would" etc. so i can imagine manson didn't want to get shot on stage for something he didn't do. manson was already a household name in the US by that time.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I didn’t know that either. The focus did seem to be on Manson.

I was pretty goth in high school and I was a junior when the shooting happened. I remember people coming up to me asking if “we were cool”. I had plenty of friends in high school and knew almost everyone so I certainly wasn’t treated poorly because of it. I just remember people being very concerned that I was a Manson fan and the counselor had a sit down with me at some point.

Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I read Columbine (2009) and they talked about how Dylan was mostly depressed/isolated while Eric was more the leader/psychopath of the group. Dylan referenced The Downward Spiral in a journal he kept.
    While this thing surely doesn't go as deep as any book, I'll just leave this here as it includes the aforementioned backpack.
    Also, I was 19 in 99 and thought I already knew all about columbine by now. Admittedly, this kid pulled up a LOT of things I wasn't aware of.
    (I usually watch all his vids and he's getting better and better, moving into actual Indy documentary territory with vids like this)

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    It’s been documented that they weren’t fans of Manson- google his Rolling Stone essay. They were fans of Rammstein and NIN if memory serves correctly. Yeah, Manson was the easy target at that time for reasons not even related.

Some students even said that Eric Harris was the one who started shit with the jocks for no reason, so when they ganged up on him it was from his own doing depending on if you believe it or not.

No winners there either way.

EDIT: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...-is-it-232759/

Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post
    I didn’t know that either. The focus did seem to be on Manson.

I was pretty goth in high school and I was a junior when the shooting happened. I remember people coming up to me asking if “we were cool”. I had plenty of friends in high school and knew almost everyone so I certainly wasn’t treated poorly because of it. I just remember people being very concerned that I was a Manson fan and the counselor had a sit down with me at some point.
    Oh HEY. Sorry for double post, (edit: AND drift) but I had a NICE leather jacket, like a fucking expensive one, that came down to thigh level. I wore it to the community college one day a few months after that shit went down and didn't make it in the door: motherfuckers literally scattered and were like "WHOA WHOA what's he got under that coat?!" :/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Oh HEY. Sorry for double post, (edit: AND drift) but I had a NICE leather jacket, like a fucking expensive one, that came down to thigh level. I wore it to the community college one day a few months after that shit went down and didn't make it in the door: motherfuckers literally scattered and were like "WHOA WHOA what's he got under that coat?!" :/

Lol for Halloween this year I decided to go a little...extreme and wore my nice leather coat w/white face-paint and black hair paint to school (Senior year of HS). No one was really concerned/freaked out, but my mom thought I was going to get in trouble.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The first four tracks on Bad Witch are great to run to and, I would assume, would also be great to work out to. Right now, they kick off my running playlist. Shit Mirror and Ahead of Ourselves are especially motivating. I need to try out the live versions in that context, though.

The Trilogy has some pretty kickass songs for that purpose overall. Branches/Bones, She's Gone Away (a bit more sombre, but it matches my pace pretty well) and The Background World (pushing yourself to the limit to the sound of that degenerating loop feels amazing) spring to mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The first four tracks on Bad Witch are great to run to and, I would assume, would also be great to work out to. Right now, they kick off my running playlist. Shit Mirror and Ahead of Ourselves are especially motivating. I need to try out the live versions in that context, though.

The Trilogy has some pretty kickass songs for that purpose overall. Branches/Bones, She's Gone Away (a bit more sombre, but it matches my pace pretty well) and The Background World (pushing yourself to the limit to the sound of that degenerating loop feels amazing) spring to mind.
    The whole Trilogy has regularily been my my gym music since they came out. Lately its been random NIN though after buying tickets. My other gym go-to is anything by garbageface (check out “kinda repaired” on Obduracy)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I kind of want to go to the Chicago shows in October decked out in cornstarch in classic 90s NIN fan fashion. It WILL be the weekend before Halloween, after all. It’d be a costume of sorts, right?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ive had this very same thought

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    ive had this very same thought
    100% down for a pre-show meet-up/corn starch party. Just throwing it out there...

I googled corn starch and one of the first cans I saw saw “NO MESS!” That’s cute.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    I kind of want to go to the Chicago shows in October decked out in cornstarch in classic 90s NIN fan fashion. It WILL be the weekend before Halloween, after all. It’d be a costume of sorts, right?
    Ironically, when I saw NIN at that venue I cornstarched.

Do it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    People are sharing the same faulty rip of the Mad Cool stream on YouTube, and it pisses me off. Every video of Shit Mirror I've seen there has a huge audio dropout that eliminates "goddamned time." The timing is such that I suspected censorship at first. But it isn't. It's someone shitty Internet caving in, and now it's the accepted version. There's even a multicam on YouTube that fuses together some audience videos with the webcast audio, and the editor of that chose to cut out the silence, truncating the whole song with no respect for rhythm or lyrics.

TheBang's rip has a tiny dropout in the beginning of the song, but retains the line in question. It's practically flawless, like his 2013 rips. If only people would use Google instead of sharing their own useless fucking shit. I will be so grateful once Ryan manages to put the NIN Video Drive together.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I truly believe that the LITS performance from The Warning up to Wish is one of the greatest live performances ever by any band. The entire show itself is good but that chunk of songs is just incredible. I can't imagine what seeing that in person was like.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Ironically, when I saw NIN at that venue I cornstarched.

Do it.
    Funny that you bring that up - I remember it being talked about here before those shows! It’s been so long that I couldn’t recall whether it actually ended up happening or not. That was partially my inspiration for wanting to do it! So I suppose I have you to thank for the idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I truly believe that the LITS performance from The Warning up to Wish is one of the greatest live performances ever by any band. The entire show itself is good but that chunk of songs is just incredible. I can't imagine what seeing that in person was like.
    It was breathtaking, even with knowing what was coming up next because I studied the setlists like a hawk before I went to my LITS show. Hands down the best show I've ever seen. Hoping the show I go to in September dethrones it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    When Nin and soundgarden did the tour together, I was expecting some kind of collaboration, but nothing, it was like both of them didn´t want to do the tour together, that was sad for me

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    Funny that you bring that up - I remember it being talked about here before those shows! It’s been so long that I couldn’t recall whether it actually ended up happening or not. That was partially my inspiration for wanting to do it! So I suppose I have you to thank for the idea.

That would be me (I did it both nights, the second night a few people joined me). One girl got so upset when there was a breeze and a particle of cornstarch dust came toward her, she was CERTAIN that security would not let anyone in with corn starch because "it could be anthrax!".
    Robin certainly enjoyed it, I had a moment on the rail in front of him the first night.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by millertd0513 View Post
    Nothing More is a very solid "new" band.

I would recommend checking out a few originals to get used to their style before you watch their cover of We're In This Together. It's the only NIN cover I've ever approved of.
    Thats funny you should mention Nothing More, because I just saw them close out the 2nd stage at Rock USA 2 weeks ago from today. I had never heard them at all so I dint know what to expect, and as we were standing there waiting for them to start playing, I hear, of all tracks, the Zac De La Rocha/El-P track "Digging For Windows" start playing over the PA as their taped intro. So im just like "any band that uses this song as their intro, is ok in my book," and I headed straight into the pit. Great energy and I liked the sound of their songs. They played an instrumental, they strapped a bass guitar into this stand thing, and the band minus the drummer, all took a side and proceeded to play the song on the instrument at the same time. They also had this drum riser thing that shot 15 feet into the air towards the end of their set.

Ill have to check them out for sure after reading your recommendation

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    This was my first NIN show at 16. This was my first concert period, actually. I was a few rows of people back from the rail and was not prepared for what was going to happen when that smoke started seeping out and the lights went off nor was I prepared for what I'd be feeling when these motherfuckers, of whom I'd watched countless hours of footage by that point, were right the fuck in front of me, emerging from the plumes of smoke like some science experiment gone wrong. So that was something. But being a bit fat and totally unprepared for what had hit me (literally), I was more or less beat by the time we got to The Frail so I started to make my way slightly out of the madness and wound up next to this dreadlocked white Rastaman who passed me a joint, which I accepted because, I mean... #YOLO amirite?

Well this may have also been my first or second time smoking pot and I may not have 'taken it easy' as they say. Around 'Closer' is when I seemingly dissociated from reality and only existed as the essence of an urge - that urge being 'find one of these huge 42 oz cups of soda everybody has.' I guess I made it to concessions where I drank that entire fucking soda where I stood, after which my goal in life shifted to 'immediately find a pisser.' Luckily there was one right next to concessions and I remember thinking it was strange that there was a huge line of dudes standing around in front of it. I'm not sure why but they all seemed awful pissed off when I walked past them up to a urinal. So weird, how can you even be in a bad mood at a wonderful place like... whatever this huge building is? They have big sodas and they're playing fucking Nine Inch Nails on the radio of all things! And not even just the hits either. 'Gave Up' was pretty cool to hear over the PA but now they just put on 'The Warn- HOLY FUCK WAIT SHIT WHAT

This would be the moment I proceeded to not wash my hands, not tip the bathroom attendant, not pass Go, and not spay and neuter my pets because I was in a full bore sprint around the outer edge of this massive Colosseum and probably doing a sweet ass tactical jump and roll into the first darkened doorway I found, only to be immediately greeted with:

WE BEEN WATCHING YOU WITH ALL OF OUR EYES
    AND WHAT YOU SEEM TO VALUE MOST
    SO MUCH POTENTIAL...
    OR SO WE USED TO SAY

...after which I was forced to at least make an attempt to collect my fucking shit and find some place safe to strap myself in.

I don't have the time nor the words to recount exactly what happened from this point to the night's conclusion, but I did find this artist's approximation that I hope will at least help explain.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post

Hey look, you accurately summed up what it felt like when I saw them play The Great Destroyer and then Eraser in 2014. That was my first NIN show and I knew what was coming because I couldn't help myself, but I was not prepared for the absolute force of it in person.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 07-29-2018 at 06:04 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    People are sharing the same faulty rip of the Mad Cool stream on YouTube, and it pisses me off. Every video of Shit Mirror I've seen there has a huge audio dropout that eliminates "goddamned time." The timing is such that I suspected censorship at first. But it isn't. It's someone shitty Internet caving in, and now it's the accepted version.
    Oh, that's an interesting glitch, caused by a corrupted fragment. That's from indykid's capture that was posted to Dime. I guess that provides some vindication (and personal reassurance) for why I try to always capture from 3 different locations, and then compare checksums on all the fragments, so I can get some kind of quorum consensus on what's corrupted and what's not. For this stream, 2 captures matched all fragments exactly, but 1 capture I did from a Spain VM had 5 fragments that were corrupt. They probably would have manifest like this glitch.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The Fragile keeps getting better with each passing year. Although it certainly is a classic, I don't think I would say the same thing about The Downward Spiral. Not talking about individual songs, but the albums as a whole. IMHO of course.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    After hearing Fine, the final part of the Sonoio trilogy, I really do wish Trent would let Alessandro be a more integral part of Nine Inch Nails, hell, even the third official member. Alessandro's work as Sonoio really shows his songwriting skills. Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and Alessandro Cortini would make one fucking strong team. I wish Trent would invite more people into the album writing/making process like back in the day. But if there can only be one... Alessandro Cortini definitely. Folks will hate me here for saying this, but I had a much bigger emotional response to Sonoio's final part of his trilogy than Bad Witch. Not that Bad Witch was bad, but something clicked with me more personally with Fine. Fine made me feel sad yet empowered. Sonoio shows Cortini is an amazing songwriter and excellent at melody, structure, and emotion. He would be a great contribution to Nine Inch Nails than just a live keyboardist/back up guitarist/bassist/etc. I do hope Trent let's him work more closely on the next album if we get one. The three of them together would be one hell of a trilogy of musicians/artists.