Page 434 of 528 FirstFirst ... 334 384 424 432 433 434 435 436 444 484 ... LastLast
Results 12,991 to 13,020 of 15827

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    but like...like...they still headline festivals!

Idk. What is relevant? I'm of the mind that they've never really been THAT "relevant" in terms of being some huge important pop act to begin with.

even with people who are around forty, they're like "oh! Nin! Fuck you like an animal, right?!"

Idk these kids are 22 and think Avenged Sevenfold is the greatest band of all time.

Luckily my 22 year old cousin is the ONE of them who is into NIN (and his friends bust his balls for it haha)
    Im 35 and the only "new" bands I listen to are Avenged Sevenfold and Ghost.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The way young people view NIN comes down to their interests. I'm 26, and it's my favorite band. I've found that people who think in terms of "relevancy" and it's importance generally aren't "into" music, they just enjoy what they hear. Most young people who are "into" music seem to hold NIN in a high regard, even if they don't like them. I'm sure the same people who poke fun at someone for liking the band think that Talking Heads are "irrelevant" and not worth listening to as well. It all comes down to interests. The young people who dismiss NIN now are the same as those that dismissed them in the '90s.

Also @SM Rollinger that's kind of sad. There are a ton of new bands breaking all sorts of new ground, and with the internet at our disposal it's easier than ever to hear them.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I'm 38 and the only new band I listen to is A Perfect Circle.

Kidding but not kidding. Part of it is what we were talking about before, that most of us discover our SHIT before the age of 30.

But the other thing is that I just haven't found a new ROCK act that floats my boat in a LONG time.

I do bump a lot of Joey Bada$$, Ghostemane, Chance the Rapper, Odd Future, and plenty of newish drum and bass.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-23-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm not really interested in new music though there's a few pop song every now and then that wins me over like Ariana Grande. Other than that, I just stick to what I like or whatever old music I hadn't heard of.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    "I left her on the bathroom floor"......darkest lyrics since the Fragile days
    yeah ... makes me a little uncomfortable.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Someone should program the Rock-afire Explosion to perform God Break Down the Door. Infact, Trent should just use them for an actual video in place of the actual band. It'd be hilarious if it was done with complete seriousness, black and white, weird video projections, everyone wearing Trent's wardrobe, it'd be great.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 07-24-2018 at 03:04 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm 23 and I went to see NIN in Madrid this month with some mates around my age or younger and we all love the band. Don't worry guys.
    Last edited by mauro995; 07-24-2018 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    "I left her on the bathroom floor"......darkest lyrics since the Fragile days
    It's not as if the next lines help out. "I think I knew when it crossed the line / I think I knew the whole goddamned time." The trilogy (mostly NTAE and BW) really is dark as all fuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Nothing More is a very solid "new" band.

I would recommend checking out a few originals to get used to their style before you watch their cover of We're In This Together. It's the only NIN cover I've ever approved of.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I listen to new and old stuff. I've never been of the mindset that music made before a certain time was "the good stuff". If you set that limitation for yourself, you'll never enjoy new music.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I'm watching a documentary on Columbine and there's a picture of Eric Harris with his backpack on his lap, and it's got an NIN logo and a Sin logo on it.

Then I read that Dylan was a huge NIN fan and that either one or both of them referenced TDS in journals they kept.

Funny that I don't remember hearing of this before.

Did the media go after Marilyn because he was an easier target?

Apparently what these kids were REALLY big fans of was NIN and Ramstein.

Please note that I'm not trying to claim the music influenced the event; rather, it just tripped me out to see that backpack mostly.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Manson was flashier, hence an easier target for the media. Also, Columbine happened before The Fragile came out, so Trent wasn't in the public eye as much since there hadn't been any new music (aside from The Perfect Drug) in five years.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The idea that the Columbine thing ‘ruined’ Mansons career was ridiculous anyway, it probably just added to his notoriety and becoming a household name in the US

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tangentially related: The book "Columbine" released in 2009 is a terrific and insightful read.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm watching a documentary on Columbine and there's a picture of Eric Harris with his backpack on his lap, and it's got an NIN logo and a Sin logo on it.

Then I read that Dylan was a huge NIN fan and that either one or both of them referenced TDS in journals they kept.

Funny that I don't remember hearing of this before.

Did the media go after Marilyn because he was an easier target?

Apparently what these kids were REALLY big fans of was NIN and Ramstein.

Please note that I'm not trying to claim the music influenced the event; rather, it just tripped me out to see that backpack mostly.

I read Columbine (2009) and they talked about how Dylan was mostly depressed/isolated while Eric was more the leader/psychopath of the group. Dylan referenced The Downward Spiral in a journal he kept.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    The idea that the Columbine thing ‘ruined’ Mansons career was ridiculous anyway, it probably just added to his notoriety and becoming a household name in the US

it's really not ridiculous. He was on a lot of drugs at the time too. that, combined with the killings made him paranoid to tour. they cancelled the show at red rocks scheduled a few days after the shooting. i was in high school at the time. i remember how i happy i was that nin put out the fragile that year-the fans were starving. i was getting food thrown at me every day at lunch and shit for just having a black shirt, headphones, and trenchcoat. by the time winter came that year, i dropped out. i went back and got my diploma next year in night school, where people wouldn't be capable of ganging up against me, doing what was known as the 'walk up'. five j ocks coming up to a kid under 130 lbs "if you shot up the whole school, you wouldn't kill me right? because you look like you would" etc. so i can imagine manson didn't want to get shot on stage for something he didn't do. manson was already a household name in the US by that time.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I didn’t know that either. The focus did seem to be on Manson.

I was pretty goth in high school and I was a junior when the shooting happened. I remember people coming up to me asking if “we were cool”. I had plenty of friends in high school and knew almost everyone so I certainly wasn’t treated poorly because of it. I just remember people being very concerned that I was a Manson fan and the counselor had a sit down with me at some point.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I read Columbine (2009) and they talked about how Dylan was mostly depressed/isolated while Eric was more the leader/psychopath of the group. Dylan referenced The Downward Spiral in a journal he kept.
    While this thing surely doesn't go as deep as any book, I'll just leave this here as it includes the aforementioned backpack.
    Also, I was 19 in 99 and thought I already knew all about columbine by now. Admittedly, this kid pulled up a LOT of things I wasn't aware of.
    (I usually watch all his vids and he's getting better and better, moving into actual Indy documentary territory with vids like this)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    It’s been documented that they weren’t fans of Manson- google his Rolling Stone essay. They were fans of Rammstein and NIN if memory serves correctly. Yeah, Manson was the easy target at that time for reasons not even related.

Some students even said that Eric Harris was the one who started shit with the jocks for no reason, so when they ganged up on him it was from his own doing depending on if you believe it or not.

No winners there either way.

EDIT: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...-is-it-232759/

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post
    I didn’t know that either. The focus did seem to be on Manson.

I was pretty goth in high school and I was a junior when the shooting happened. I remember people coming up to me asking if “we were cool”. I had plenty of friends in high school and knew almost everyone so I certainly wasn’t treated poorly because of it. I just remember people being very concerned that I was a Manson fan and the counselor had a sit down with me at some point.
    Oh HEY. Sorry for double post, (edit: AND drift) but I had a NICE leather jacket, like a fucking expensive one, that came down to thigh level. I wore it to the community college one day a few months after that shit went down and didn't make it in the door: motherfuckers literally scattered and were like "WHOA WHOA what's he got under that coat?!" :/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Oh HEY. Sorry for double post, (edit: AND drift) but I had a NICE leather jacket, like a fucking expensive one, that came down to thigh level. I wore it to the community college one day a few months after that shit went down and didn't make it in the door: motherfuckers literally scattered and were like "WHOA WHOA what's he got under that coat?!" :/

Lol for Halloween this year I decided to go a little...extreme and wore my nice leather coat w/white face-paint and black hair paint to school (Senior year of HS). No one was really concerned/freaked out, but my mom thought I was going to get in trouble.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The first four tracks on Bad Witch are great to run to and, I would assume, would also be great to work out to. Right now, they kick off my running playlist. Shit Mirror and Ahead of Ourselves are especially motivating. I need to try out the live versions in that context, though.

The Trilogy has some pretty kickass songs for that purpose overall. Branches/Bones, She's Gone Away (a bit more sombre, but it matches my pace pretty well) and The Background World (pushing yourself to the limit to the sound of that degenerating loop feels amazing) spring to mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The first four tracks on Bad Witch are great to run to and, I would assume, would also be great to work out to. Right now, they kick off my running playlist. Shit Mirror and Ahead of Ourselves are especially motivating. I need to try out the live versions in that context, though.

The Trilogy has some pretty kickass songs for that purpose overall. Branches/Bones, She's Gone Away (a bit more sombre, but it matches my pace pretty well) and The Background World (pushing yourself to the limit to the sound of that degenerating loop feels amazing) spring to mind.
    The whole Trilogy has regularily been my my gym music since they came out. Lately its been random NIN though after buying tickets. My other gym go-to is anything by garbageface (check out “kinda repaired” on Obduracy)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I kind of want to go to the Chicago shows in October decked out in cornstarch in classic 90s NIN fan fashion. It WILL be the weekend before Halloween, after all. It’d be a costume of sorts, right?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ive had this very same thought

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    ive had this very same thought
    100% down for a pre-show meet-up/corn starch party. Just throwing it out there...

I googled corn starch and one of the first cans I saw saw “NO MESS!” That’s cute.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    I kind of want to go to the Chicago shows in October decked out in cornstarch in classic 90s NIN fan fashion. It WILL be the weekend before Halloween, after all. It’d be a costume of sorts, right?
    Ironically, when I saw NIN at that venue I cornstarched.

Do it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    People are sharing the same faulty rip of the Mad Cool stream on YouTube, and it pisses me off. Every video of Shit Mirror I've seen there has a huge audio dropout that eliminates "goddamned time." The timing is such that I suspected censorship at first. But it isn't. It's someone shitty Internet caving in, and now it's the accepted version. There's even a multicam on YouTube that fuses together some audience videos with the webcast audio, and the editor of that chose to cut out the silence, truncating the whole song with no respect for rhythm or lyrics.

TheBang's rip has a tiny dropout in the beginning of the song, but retains the line in question. It's practically flawless, like his 2013 rips. If only people would use Google instead of sharing their own useless fucking shit. I will be so grateful once Ryan manages to put the NIN Video Drive together.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I truly believe that the LITS performance from The Warning up to Wish is one of the greatest live performances ever by any band. The entire show itself is good but that chunk of songs is just incredible. I can't imagine what seeing that in person was like.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Ironically, when I saw NIN at that venue I cornstarched.

Do it.
    Funny that you bring that up - I remember it being talked about here before those shows! It’s been so long that I couldn’t recall whether it actually ended up happening or not. That was partially my inspiration for wanting to do it! So I suppose I have you to thank for the idea.