Page 422 of 528 FirstFirst ... 322 372 412 420 421 422 423 424 432 472 522 ... LastLast
Results 12,631 to 12,660 of 15837

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    It saddens me that there have been three Bad Witch discussion threads, and every one of them had to be closed due to asinine trolling and general toxicity.
    Na, they were closed because ETS has power tripping mods. It’s the best and worst thing about this forum. There’s low tolerance for trolling and shitposts, that’s great. In this particular case it’s pretty absurd that we’re days away from a new NIN release and we don’t have a thread to discuss it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Dorbell View Post
    Na, they were closed because ETS has power tripping mods. It’s the best and worst thing about this forum. There’s low tolerance for trolling and shitposts, that’s great. In this particular case it’s pretty absurd that we’re days away from a new NIN release and we don’t have a thread to discuss it.
    Discuss what ? No album yet Aha. Was a good call. It's just fooling around till the release, but some people are toxic whatever happens.
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 06-17-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The album thread has been locked so I’ll post here that I’ve received a shipping notification for the Bad Witch vinyl. Looks like chances are high that it’ll arrive before Friday.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Discuss what ? No album yet Aha.
    I mean, new track off the album was literally played live not so long time ago

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Discuss what ? No album yet Aha. Was a good call. It's just fooling around till the release, but some people are toxic whatever happens.
    Sometimes I wonder - without a malicous intent - if some people were actually born today. The internet is littered with platforms where thousands of people are talking about upcoming events: World Cup fixtures, next episode or even next season of a TV series, the games which were announced at E3, etc. I don't know if calling it a culture would be the appropriate word for it, but what I mean is that it's not a new precedent to talk about stuff we barely know about - and we already know stuff about BW, so it's even more true for it.

So yeah, I legit don't know whether you are an older folk, and this is news for you, or if it's just the highest form of elitism being presented right here.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    The bad witch thread was derailed once again so it was closed. I’m sure the mod got a total rush from closing it with all his power. Massive fucking eye roll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There was a (rather short) discussion over the instrumental tracks. That’s “derailed” enough that we shouldn’t have a thread to discuss the new NIN EP mere days before its release?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    The bad witch thread was derailed once again so it was closed. I’m sure the mod got a total rush from closing it with all his power. Massive fucking eye roll
    I mean, couldn't the derailing posts be deleted/moved with a warning instead of just shutting the entire thing down?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought the whole point of message boards was to talk about things until they "become circular. Basically until you hear more, you're just kind bitching in the dark."

Aside from "bitching in the dark", what else have we achieved on ETS over all these years? Isn't that what the founding fathers of the internet would have wanted?

Back to Reddit I go!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Regarding the whole thing that got THE THIRD Bad Witch thread shut down (which, I actually think is hilarious)...I can get why some people are upset that on a 6-track, 31-minute release Reznor chose to make two of the longer songs instrumentals. To be more specific, I can understand why some people today are upset.
    When Broken came out, there was no social media and therefore no real hype machine. There might have been a magazine ad that said "new ep coming soon" with a date and a backwards, orange "n". That was it. People could put the date on their calendar and call their local radio station to get them to play "Wish" but that was it. Fans of PHM heard that track and probably lost their minds, either in a positive way or a negative way. For some fans, they were in their local record store one day and probably did a double-take when they saw something new in the Nine Inch Nails section. I remember being in a Best Buy in Altemonte Springs, Florida when I saw the NIN logo on a set of VHS tapes. I had no fucking clue what was going on. After that, I paid more attention to Nine Inch Nails on the internet and, for the past twenty years, I have been fodder for the hype machine that's slowly gotten bigger and faster and more voracious. I must have played that "La Mer"/"Into The Void" teaser five thousand times...
    Anyway.
    Personally, yeah, I wish the new album was six, long, lyric-laden examples of everything I love about Nine Inch Nails. I wish Ghosts had lyrics. I wish each and every score was replaced with a full-blown NIN LP. When people say "albums have instrumentals, what's the difference?", I want to tell them that it's basic math; on a full length album, you have more time and more music and maybe an instrumental or three serves as a nice chance to catch ones' breath, but on a tight package like Bad Witch, you want as much content to dig into as possible, you want stuff to unpack. Especially with this trilogy which may or may not tie in to everything Nine Inch Nails has ever done, you want more clues and connections and hidden lyrics.
    Would this trilogy have worked better as a 16-track LP? Would we be gnashing our teeth so violently if Reznor had decided to go that route? Would there be so many closed threads on ETS? Would we have gotten the Quantum Cock Incident?
    Who's to say?
    People have opinions about Reznor and his work.
    Others can agree or disagree with these opinions.
    But, at the core of all this...it's Reznor's fucking work. If people have that many problems with what he does...no one's keeping them here.

Forgive my entire rant.
    Last edited by paul_guyet; 06-17-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by insequence View Post
    "become circular. Basically until you hear more, you're just kind bitching in the dark."
    I think THIS thread just became circular. Lockdown of Random NIN Thoughts in 3, 2, 1...

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    When people say "albums have instrumentals, what's the difference?", I want to tell them that it's basic math; on a full length album, you have more time and more music and maybe an instrumental or three serves as a nice chance to catch ones' breath, but on a tight package like Bad Witch, you want as much content to dig into as possible, you want stuff to unpack.
    Saying that there's no content to be found in instrumental music is like saying there's no content to be found in a painting. Not everything has to be spelled out in words. Sometimes it's all about the mood, the feel of it, that provides the context for its placement within the larger framework of the album.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Yes, because at around 2am, I enjoy nothing more than logging onto ETS to read a thread about an album that hasn't come out yet and see people arguing about instrumentals for an album that no one has heard yet and repeating themselves in multiple posts over and over and over. I got shivers down my spine as I clicked that lock button and such an insane rush of endorphins when I saw the several people discussing the same thing in circles cry out when they saw that padlock. I LOVE THE POWER. /sarcasim

The thread was derailed and it's happened a few times now, hence the part 3.. The LP is out in 5 days, and I'd imagine we'll all start getting emails with download links at some point Thursday night. Until then, it's staying closed until the whole damn thing is out and we can discuss whether we hate it or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think THIS thread just became circular. Lockdown of Random NIN Thoughts in 3, 2, 1...
    Yes! I'm wondering that if we keep up the discussion here, this will also get shut down. How many threads can we lock up - bets, anyone?

Fuck it, lets just delete the whole internet. People talking about stuff has always ended badly, anyway.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Yes! I'm wondering that if we keep up the discussion here, this will also get shut down. How many threads can we lock up - bets, anyone?
    Unfortunately, this is the Random NIN Thoughts thread, the destination for wayward NIN thoughts that don't have a place in any other thread... and since there isn't a thread for Bad Witch right now, you're in the right spot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    Yes, because at around 2am, I enjoy nothing more than logging onto ETS to read a thread about an album that hasn't come out yet and see people arguing about instrumentals for an album that no one has heard yet and repeating themselves in multiple posts over and over and over. I got shivers down my spine as I clicked that lock button and such an insane rush of endorphins when I saw the several people discussing the same thing in circles cry out when they saw that padlock. I LOVE THE POWER. /sarcasim

The thread was derailed and it's happened a few times now, hence the part 3.. The LP is out in 5 days, and I'd imagine we'll all start getting emails with download links at some point Thursday night. Until then, it's staying closed until the whole damn thing is out and we can discuss whether we hate it or not.
    Well, my "power trip" comment has some twenty years (or however long ETS has been around now) of frustration behind it. I know all the NIN fans are here, yet when there's something new to discuss, small or large, I'll often have to jump through tens or hundreds of pages of this or the other "random" thread, because the standards for starting a separate thread are so damn high here. As I also stated I think it's mostly a good thing. Reddit always has a thread for whatever's going on, but they also have a million pictures of vinyl purchases or "DAE think Tronk Rosnir is hot?".

But instead of just facepalming my post because I called you out on being a powertripping mod, perhaps unfairly, you could address the absurdity of the fact that ETS, the biggest NIN community in the world, doesn't have a thread to discuss (as in speculate, dream, fantasize, or bitch about) the new NIN release, or even the brand new song most of us heard for the first time yesterday.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Fuck it, lets just delete the whole internet. People talking about stuff has always ended badly, anyway.
    Look, all you crybabies can go back to Reddit or whatever other barely moderated shithole you came from if you really feel that way, but ETS has tried over many years to keep some sense of decorum and polite discourse in an online world where presidents can tweet whatever stupid-ass thing comes to mind. Do you really want this nice little place of ours to end up like every other bastion of social stupidity gracing cyberspace? I don't. Yeah, I've had my share of gripes with how things are run around here sometimes, but I'd rather it be a little strict than a rampant frontier of shitposting and clickbait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Look, all you crybabies can go back to Reddit or whatever other barely moderated shithole you came from if you really feel that way, but ETS has tried over many years to keep some sense of decorum and polite discourse in an online world where presidents can tweet whatever stupid-ass thing comes to mind. Do you really want this nice little place of ours to end up like every other bastion of social stupidity gracing cyberspace? I don't. Yeah, I've had my share of gripes with how things are run around here sometimes, but I'd rather it be a little strict than a rampant frontier of shitposting and clickbait.
    That's fine, and I appreciate things are run differently on ETS. I haven't been massively active but I've dipped in and out enough over the years to know that this is the case. I don't agree with it, but fair enough. I think it's a free speech issue, and yes I think that's pretty serious; but that's my own thing and so I will go back to my barely moderated shithole I come from until we can actually talk about things here again

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was thinking about the Year Zero ARG earlier, specifically the way in which we were introduced to Survivalism. If I remember correctly, you could call a 1-800 number that would let you hear someone talking about being fed up with society and proving a point, then a snippet of Survivalism plays, then he opens fire on a crowd of people (I think it was a stadium?). The concept of that kind of casual mass shooting seemed so bizarre and subversive in 2007, who'd of thought it would be so common a decade later?

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Well, my "power trip" comment has some twenty years (or however long ETS has been around now) of frustration behind it. I know all the NIN fans are here, yet when there's something new to discuss, small or large, I'll often have to jump through tens or hundreds of pages of this or the other "random" thread, because the standards for starting a separate thread are so damn high here. As I also stated I think it's mostly a good thing. Reddit always has a thread for whatever's going on, but they also have a million pictures of vinyl purchases or "DAE think Tronk Rosnir is hot?".

But instead of just facepalming my post because I called you out on being a powertripping mod, perhaps unfairly, you could address the absurdity of the fact that ETS, the biggest NIN community in the world, doesn't have a thread to discuss (as in speculate, dream, fantasize, or bitch about) the new NIN release, or even the brand new song most of us heard for the first time yesterday.
    Perhaps unfairly? How about unnecessarily? you could make the same points about the bad witch thread without the name calling. There’s no reason for you to say anything about him other than for attention.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Saying that there's no content to be found in instrumental music is like saying there's no content to be found in a painting. Not everything has to be spelled out in words. Sometimes it's all about the mood, the feel of it, that provides the context for its placement within the larger framework of the album.
    100% with you. The Fragile without the instrumentals would be a lot less impactful. Same with TDS. I'm not saying there's no content to be found in instrumentals, in fact I think it's more challenging, and therefore more rewarding, for an artist to convey meaning without lyrics. I supposed I meant concrete, lyrical content.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    While I totally understand that threads tend to get locked down when we circle around a single (sometimes minor) issue like vinyl vs CD, is it an EP or an LP, sadness about not hearing Trent's smooth-ass man-voice on every track ad nauseam, it's a shame we have to post about that seriously kick ass debut of Ahead of Ourselves last night in the live thread only. It sounds like they really matched the brutality of it I remember from the listening station. I hope they liked the reaction to it and that it becomes a regular on this new tour.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    As much as I disagree with the decision to lock down that thread - at least for the reason listed -, I can appreciate a firm and (cant find that word now...) "followable" decision process. I spent, spend a lot of time on team liquid (sorry if it's advertising, but its just a gaming site), and while the moderation can resemble Nazi Germany at times, at least the same rules apply for everyone. Also, mods here and there let grown ass people to duke out their differences.You should've seen the hayday of discussion boards and the power tripping mods there. Self-conscious teens sitting in front of their pc 0-24, searching for arguments so they can use their power. Except on friends. Oh, and many of them turned out to be cheaters too.Tl;dr: ahead of ourselves is fucking amazing, i hope they release it officially, because i dont want to listen to bad live quality

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    AR and TR are incredibly good producers. So I'm looking forward to the songs on this release, vocals or not. In fact, I'm really curious, how in 2018 a NIN instrumental will sound, now that it's not specifically made for a film score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Perhaps unfairly? How about unnecessarily? you could make the same points about the bad witch thread without the name calling. There’s no reason for you to say anything about him other than for attention.
    Well, as I've made obvious, I think he closed that thread unfairly. And unnecessarily. That is part of my point and that's why I used the language that I did.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I both Facepalmed you and replied in a previous post quoting your previous post so I hit both check boxes.

I have been on ETS since November of 2002 when it was launched, and in those 16 years, I don't believe that thread standards have gotten so high that you can't determine whether to start a new thread about a NIN topic or not. I've stated my reasons in the Bad Witch thread (which is becoming the new Manson thread) why I locked it down until this coming Thursday: the thread has become a recycling of posts yelling at each other about why instrumentals are bad vs. good, which is similar to when we shut down the first two threads about the album in regards to the CD vs. Vinyl debate being repetitive and the EP vs. LP debate being SUPER repetitive. As an admin of this board, I can decide when to lock a thread down because it's been derailed past the point of the original topic and when it becomes closed off to NEW users and NEW posts because the same four people are recycling the same talking points over and over and over and over and over again.

I appreciate your concern.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Regarding the new song that was debuted in Vegas last night - I am honestly surprised that no one has started a thread about it yet. We've had threads for God Break Down The Door, The Lovers, The Background World, Less Than, Not Anymore, and so on. I'd encourage someone, anyone to make a thread about Ahead of Ourselves at anytime instead of complaining about not being able to talk about it in this thread and the GBDTD thread.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    Regarding the new song that was debuted in Vegas last night - I am honestly surprised that no one has started a thread about it yet. We've had threads for God Break Down The Door, The Lovers, The Background World, Less Than, Not Anymore, and so on. I'd encourage someone, anyone to make a thread about Ahead of Ourselves at anytime instead of complaining about not being able to talk about it in this thread and the GBDTD thread.
    Sorry TR, didn't mean to bitch, that's why I started with the point that I totally get why the thread is temporarily locked, but tried to move on to how awesome the song is - I don't think that I made that clear though. Startin' a thread.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    i alreadly started a thread if anyone's interested.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...s-Debuted-Live

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Haha, just merged them for you.