Page 316 of 528 FirstFirst ... 216 266 306 314 315 316 317 318 326 366 416 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,480 of 15827

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I think the next NIN project is going be some sort of musical theater. Anyone know what Rob has been up to? I feel like he could be working on art direction for something like this. Doing something on Brodaway and then maybe a small tour.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    I think the next NIN project is going be some sort of musical theater. Anyone know what Rob has been up to? I feel like he could be working on art direction for something like this. Doing something on Brodaway and then maybe a small tour.
    Do you mean the Fight Club musical that's on the cards?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I read Trent's text interviews in Trent's voice.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Trent buddying up to Fisher Stevens..since when did Fisher become mr serious hollywood politico? I remember seeing a lot of his old movies where he was almost in Crispin Glover territory, always doing these crazy roles and anti-hollywood bizarro things....and now he's one of the establishment....when did ol Fisher get so serious

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    ...and anti-hollywood bizarro things....and now he's one of the establishment....
    The fuck are you talking about? The guy was in Short Circuit 1 and 2 and Super Mario Bros. Motherfucker has even been on Law & Order five or six times! He's never been anti-Hollywood.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Don't forget Hackers too!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Everyone used to be so cool and now they're all just a part of the system. All my heroes are just corporate pawns in a game we were set up to lose. So Hollywood now. Mainstream. Ugh.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Everyone used to be so cool and now they're all just a part of the system. All my heroes are just corporate pawns in a game we were set up to lose. So Hollywood now. Mainstream. Ugh.
    Nooooooww I belong...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    is this a NIN song circa 1989?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Yeah fuck them and their success because I haven't had any

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Yeah fuck them and their success because I haven't had any
    You've had success with my heart.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Listening to The Becoming off of the Sept 14 1995 bootleg (first performance of tour with Bowie). From what I could gather from NINwiki, this was the very first time the song was performed live. Not only it is very faithful to the album version (minus a few guitar fuck-ups at the end), but Trent actually pulled off the "I can try to get awaaaaaay" and "I can see it killing awaaaaay" parts spot-on (and he almost nailed the "I can try to scratch awaaaay", too). No wonder Bowie said that Trent would destroy him on stage. The Becoming is easily on my top 5 favorite NIN songs, so it makes me sad that the third verse is so hard for Trent to sing/scream. They didn't play it on the Fragility tours. He does the third verse screams on lower notes on the Still version and 2009 and 2014 performances. His screams on Performance 2007 (now listening to February 14, 2007 as I type this) are alllllmost there, although they are less melodic and more guttural and death metal-ish, heh.
    Dear gods, I love this sort of analysis. I'm reposting/quoting here because I've always been fascinated by those screams in The Becoming as well as TR's scream evolution over time.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Listening to The Becoming off of the Sept 14 1995 bootleg (first performance of tour with Bowie). From what I could gather from NINwiki, this was the very first time the song was performed live. Not only it is very faithful to the album version (minus a few guitar fuck-ups at the end), but Trent actually pulled off the "I can try to get awaaaaaay" and "I can see it killing awaaaaay" parts spot-on (and he almost nailed the "I can try to scratch awaaaay", too). No wonder Bowie said that Trent would destroy him on stage. The Becoming is easily on my top 5 favorite NIN songs, so it makes me sad that the third verse is so hard for Trent to sing/scream. They didn't play it on the Fragility tours. He does the third verse screams on lower notes on the Still version and 2009 and 2014 performances. His screams on Performance 2007 (now listening to February 14, 2007 as I type this) are alllllmost there, although they are less melodic and more guttural and death metal-ish, heh.
    Just listened to those two shows. Really interesting. I think around 2005-2006 Trent was on his highest level singing-wise. His voice got lower and he hit the notes a little better AND he could still pull of those insane screams (to the degree that they were sometimes even more insane than in the years before). Love that era. Although I have to agree with you – when it comes to The Becoming he's really, really close in 1995. Amazing performance.

What I also find incredibly interesting is what Aaron North is playing in 2007 later during the verses – that's got to be some sort of varation of the ending riff from I'm Afraid of Americans, right?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    The guy was in Short Circuit 2
    "Before the Flood" perfectly describes the eyes of a five-year-old wizfan right before he witnessed Johnny 5 being beaten up. "That little robot... nooooooooooooo"

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    forget before the flood..this is fisher stevens greatest work

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    seeing some of the reviews of Before The Flood....YIKES..ol Leo is getting decimated....Trent looks like an even bigger fool for attaching himself to this shit

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    You know what I love about that 95 version? The fact Trent sings in a very distressed manner over the guitar outro, a sort of staple of the Self Destruct shows in general. When I first heard that, I was kinda taken back by how much that caps the song off better especially considering the story of The Downward Spiral. You can't beat the Piano ending he added in 2009 though, that's top stuff right there, bonus points for Robin Finck smashing a guitar during it once. (Video is at 4:45)

Last edited by nooneimportant; 11-01-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    seeing some of the reviews of Before The Flood....YIKES..ol Leo is getting decimated....Trent looks like an even bigger fool for attaching himself to this shit
    You mean the 70% on Rotten Tomatoes with an average review score of 7/10? It's not getting decimated.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Every morning I login to ETS I'm anticipating a new thread saying "nin: halo twenty nine - [insert title here]".

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I had a dream about a week ago that a new NIN EP had been announced, along with a tour. It was better than my sex dreams.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    "I'm a pretty big NIN fan," I thought. "Those torrent seed releases were for the casual fans," I thought. Now I've learned that there is an alternate version of ATLITW I've never heard?? Any other concise way of knowing of other different takes/versions from those releases. This also applies to the damn Apple Music releases. So many cool additions in those instrumentals and I've not heard them yet...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    "I'm a pretty big NIN fan," I thought. "Those torrent seed releases were for the casual fans," I thought. Now I've learned that there is an alternate version of ATLITW I've never heard?? Any other concise way of knowing of other different takes/versions from those releases. This also applies to the damn Apple Music releases. So many cool additions in those instrumentals and I've not heard them yet...
    I thought so too, what alt version of ATLITW do you soeak of? What torrents are these?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I thought so too, what alt version of ATLITW do you soeak of? What torrents are these?
    There was an alternate version included in "The Definitive NIN - Deep Cuts" torrent that features samples from The Twilight Zone episode "And When The Sky Was Opened" at the beginning. It's an interesting listen, but not something I would call essential.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    There was an alternate version included in "The Definitive NIN - Deep Cuts" torrent that features samples from The Twilight Zone episode "And When The Sky Was Opened" at the beginning. It's an interesting listen, but not something I would call essential.
    Trent really likes naming songs after Twilight Zone episodes doesn't he? And when the sky was opened is a title from Before the Flood

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    These torrents aren't around anymore? Is there any place to still download them?

I did find them a part of a torrent, but the files were 192kbps... is that how they were uploaded? Or were there better quality in the original torrents?
    Last edited by neorev; 11-03-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It is essential because it hath been decided upon by Trent, damnit. Also I just find it fascinating, especially because the only standout sampling I can recall from WT is in the title track intro and RWIB.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I did find them a part of a torrent, but the files were 192kbps... is that how they were uploaded? Or were there better quality in the original torrents?
    I believe that's how they were uploaded originally.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I believe that's how they were uploaded originally.
    Ah, alrighty. Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah it was more of a generous promotional thingy rather than a full-blown gift, those files were never HD to begin with, just enough to be listenable.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    For info on differences in the instrumentals for TF and WT, you can look them up here:
    http://www.nin.wiki/Remixes

The Definitive NIN series can still be streamed at Spotify and SoundCloud. Here's more info:
    http://www.nin.wiki/The_Definitive_NIN