Page 304 of 528 FirstFirst ... 204 254 294 302 303 304 305 306 314 354 404 ... LastLast
Results 9,091 to 9,120 of 15835

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Ha! Everyone goes through stuff but I see your point. Before my life changing car accident, 12 year old me thought Trent was scary. After eating dashboard, losing a parent in a car accident and suffering through rounds of reconstructive surgery, his music appealed to me greatly and his abrasive image was sexy to 14 year old me.

Year later, listening to the fragile for the first time and hearing TDTWWA and the line "The plastic face forced to portray" hit me hard. People slam his lyrics but that song will always be an uncanny echo of the confusion and despair I went through after that event. That day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Has it ever occured to you guys that as rabid NIN fans, nearly all of us have some sort of darkness about us, or have been through some awful existential crisis, or addiction, or SOMETHING?
    I mean, unless you ignore the lyrics.

We are all such nice people, but this music that brings us together is very dark, lyrically.
    I can say I fit the bill

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Ha! Everyone goes through stuff but I see your point. Before my life changing car accident, 12 year old me thought Trent was scary. After eating dashboard, losing a parent in a car accident and suffering through rounds of reconstructive surgery, his music appealed to me greatly and his abrasive image was sexy to 14 year old me.

Year later, listening to the fragile for the first time and hearing TDTWWA and the line "The plastic face forced to portray" hit me hard. People slam his lyrics but that song will always be an uncanny echo of the confusion and despair I went through after that event. That day...

Damn. I am so sorry. That's fucking awful. What an awful day.
    I flipped a car five times with my wife in it on our first date, and we somehow emerged fairly unscathed.
    The car didn't look like anyone could have survived.
    So i know about the horror, the feeling of everything going terribly wrong, and the realization that you are like powerless.
    But i don't know about the agony you went through.

I love trent's lyrics too. It sounds like we kinda got into nin in the same time frame.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Damn. I am so sorry. That's fucking awful. What an awful day.
    I flipped a car five times with my wife in it on our first date, and we somehow emerged fairly unscathed.
    The car didn't look like anyone could have survived.
    So i know about the horror, the feeling of everything going terribly wrong, and the realization that you are like powerless.
    But i don't know about the agony you went through.

I love trent's lyrics too. It sounds like we kinda got into nin in the same time frame.
    @sweeterthan and @elevenism , thanks for sharing those personal and horrific stories. Makes me think on a lot.

You also make me read into the lyrics of TDTWWA differently yet again, considering the stated meaning behind it.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    @joplinpicasso , @sweeterthan 's story was the horrific one.
    Mine was just a bit of identification.

As for me, i got into this band at 12 when broken came out because it was unlike anything else. It was somehow WAY heavier and darker than pantera or metallica.

Then, i wound up having a lifelong struggle with drugs and alcohol that has nearly killed me over and over and over again. That's MY horrific story. (i've been accused of telling it too much around here )

And i relate 99% of trent's music to drugs, from the like pro-drug anthem "please" to the recovery inspired vibe of With Teeth. It's so interesting, because i think that people who haven't been through it might miss that in With Teeth, the recovery theme. Songs like With Teeth, Love is Not Enough, YNWYA, and even Only, can be read from like a recovery perspective, and i think it's 100% intentional.
    I will say that that album helped save my life when i was at the bottom of my drinking.
    And recovery teaches you that life is NOT ABOUT YOU, so it made sense for trent to turn his focus outward on Year Zero after a career of beautiful but ultimately kind of masturbatory, self involved tracks. Now don't get me wrong, i LOVE all those tracks and NIN is my favorite band of all time. I'm just saying that i seriously think that's why he changed his writing persepective at that time.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    We are all such nice people, but this music that brings us together is very dark, lyrically.
    No I'm an asshole

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    No I'm an asshole
    you terrible bastard :P

yeah i didn't word that quite right.

how about this. I'M a fucking nice person, and...

is that better? that's more fucking like it, right? :P
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-21-2016 at 01:22 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Just a little bit of depression which probably stemmed from unknown at the time gender dysphoria for me. Something about hating every bit of your physical existence makes NIN appealing.
    Last edited by sick among the pure; 09-20-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think that the popular image on NIN misreads the themes of the lyrics, one of which is 'survival,' confirmed by the excellent tales here. Keep living and stay strong, all.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Member when Trent used to have an online presence and post updates?

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I miss the online communication too. The last two years, we've barely heard anything from him. Look at this long ass post from 2012. https://www.facebook.com/treznor/posts/3265399773880:0
    Where is that guy?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The silence is deafening - I'm starting to take it personally! hahaha

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I miss the online communication too. The last two years, we've barely heard anything from him. Look at this long ass post from 2012. https://www.facebook.com/treznor/posts/3265399773880:0
    Where is that guy?
    He even called us his friends. :'(

It hurts when you're waiting by the phone and your friend doesn't call.

Then again, I'd imagine it also hurts when some of your friends continually criticise everything you've done for 11 years.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just confirmed "DIVE & SLAM" for early 2017 release. TR is saying that because of tragedy of the killing of Harambe, he has decided to re-record the vocals as a tribute to everybody's lovable gorilla friend.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I rarely facepalm, but, yeah...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Just confirmed "DIVE & SLAM" for early 2017 release. TR is saying that because of tragedy of the killing of Harambe, he has decided to re-record the vocals as a tribute to everybody's lovable gorilla friend.
    no.

10 characters

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    This. They chose to film the tour with cheaper prosumer DV cameras specifically so they could afford to record a bunch more shows' audio, and stitch them all together in post-production (which was no mean feat, with circa-2001 offline editing workflow).
    https://web.archive.org/web/20030410...dvd/index.html
    https://web.archive.org/web/20010213...nt/index4.html
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1001384/reznor.html

It's fun hearing Trent geek out about computers.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Member when Trent used to have an online presence and post updates?

Member the typewriter font on NIN.com with weekly updates and things to look forward to?

Member Tension live set that would be an expansion of the YouTube video upload?

Member not feeling like Everything (Instrumental Version) that leaked from a reddit user was all we had to look forward to?

Member a potential Gary Numan + TR collaboration mentioned back in 2009?

Oh yeah, I member that!

...member Juno?

...no, not rly...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I enjoy the silence it plays a large part of suspense.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    I enjoy the silence it plays a large part of suspense.
    Like a seemingly endless loop of Pinion at the start of a show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone know where to get all the Jubilee (Aaron North's band) tracks that are out there? Preferably would like to buy them in a way that somehow gets back to the artists involved but I don't think an official channel like that exists for them anymore.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I was away from NIN until Ghosts and really dig the Aaron North guitar sound. I really enjoy this lo-fi, sludgy recording of a loose soundcheck. I know it doesn't pass quality control but its good to hear them sounding like a basement band, after hearing them in HD for so long. The songs within the video aren't even their best. Improved by the spontaneity and mystery.
    North is a maniacal guitarist. That Reading 'HLAH' is just what I needed today.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The Tetsuo Theme is like The Downward Spiral and Year Zero having sex for five and a half minutes and I wish it went on for an hour

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    The Tetsuo Theme is like The Downward Spiral and Year Zero having sex for five and a half minutes and I wish it went on for an hour
    At this point an album of "Tetsuo Theme's" with vocals would be just about the best thing that could happen. That and the deluxe version of The Fragile and nin could retire.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    At this point an album of "Tetsuo Theme's" with vocals would be just about the best thing that could happen. That and the deluxe version of The Fragile and nin could retire.
    It's really all I want at this point. And I don't even care that much about a Fragile deluxe edition, I just want a way to get the instrumentals without Apple Music and a way to get it on vinyl without having a baby just so I can sell it to afford it used

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    It's really all I want at this point. And I don't even care that much about a Fragile deluxe edition, I just want a way to get the instrumentals without Apple Music and a way to get it on vinyl without having a baby just so I can sell it to afford it used

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...torrent_links/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

On a spree of 2007-era North guitar videos. Digging all of the bent notes and feedback-playing. This is incarnation of the live band is news to me! Great discovery when Spin or whomever wrote his story. Godspeed Mr. North.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Member the typewriter font on NIN.com with weekly updates and things to look forward to?

Member Tension live set that would be an expansion of the YouTube video upload?

Member not feeling like Everything (Instrumental Version) that leaked from a reddit user was all we had to look forward to?

Member a potential Gary Numan + TR collaboration mentioned back in 2009?

Oh yeah, I member that!

...member Juno?

...no, not rly...
    Juno is still kinda in my mind...not the best memory but it's there...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Honestly, this is all it would take. It just seems so odd to have no information for such long periods of time. There are plenty of bands that are inactive, but still have a strong presence and as far as we know nin is still active. Why not say something about the Before the Flood score? Why not give an update on any reissues in the works or a new album... or anything. It would literally take seconds to give an update to the fans.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I haven't even listened to fucking Juno. As much as I love Trent's music, knowing that an instrumental song is the only thing we've got, that kinda bums me out. I'm sure I'll give it a listen at some point.