Page 298 of 528 FirstFirst ... 198 248 288 296 297 298 299 300 308 348 398 ... LastLast
Results 8,911 to 8,940 of 15838

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @elevenism , oh yeah, all the way thru, beginning to end; in the car, especially. I used to listen to it on plane trips a lot but I have not been able to travel much (special needs pets), Heresy upon takeoff once was hilarious ("your GOD IS DEAD..."); still love all of TDS, view it as a narrative and I don't relate to the protagonist's destructive hunger for power so it doesn't affect me personally; by the end, I kinda feel sorry for the protagonist but not really.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-27-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    by the end, I kinda feel sorry for the protagonist but not really.
    are you familiar with the true definition of psycopathy

Seriously though, for me, i guess it is hurt to which i have the hardest time listening. (ending sentences with prepositions is the sort of thing up with which i will not put.)

Hurt and the title track. IDK, maybe it's not so disturbing. I haven't listened to it in awhile, like once in the past year. Maybe i should give it a spin.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @elevenism , the protagonist brought it upon himself and considering the protagonist's ... um ... difficulty with female power, it's possible that I view the protagonist differently than you. We are not totally sure of the end, it is left for us to fill in the blanks. The protagonist ultimately discovers / realizes that he can't be as powerful as he desired. I later took a Capstone class focused on Milton's "Paradise Lost" (Genesis, Satan's fall) so I saw a lot of similarities between TDS and that. (Reptile, Eve, Power, God)
    Last edited by allegro; 08-27-2016 at 03:40 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    @elevenism, the protagonist brought it upon himself and considering the protagonist's ... um ... difficulty with female power, it's possible that I view the protagonist differently. We are not totally sure of the end, it is left for us to fill in the blanks.
    i was just teasing you :P

Re the protagonist's female power issues, i WON'T listen to big man with a gun, so i doubt our view of the protagonist differs all that much.

But i am VERY interested in your view of the ending as being ambiguous.
    Are you saying that it may not be a suicide, rather, a description of a murder or something?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i was just teasing you :P

Re the protagonist's female power issues, i WON'T listen to big man with a gun, so i doubt our view of the protagonist differs all that much.

But i am VERY interested in your view of the ending as being ambiguous.
    Are you saying that it may not be a suicide, rather, a description of a murder or something?
    No, just giving up his search for power, which for the protagonist is a pretty big concession (it was for Satan, LOL). BMWAG, I don't think that was literal, it was just another way that the protagonist is saying that he wants more power. He believes that the female is MORE powerful than him, that's what Closer is about, using her to get closer to God's power; in BMWAG, he has the gun because his own power isn't enough, and his dick certainly isn't enough; it's just a part of the overall narrative (and was allegedly a companion piece to Tori Amos' song "Me and a Gun" which is about her being sexually assaulted IRL, but that guy had a knife, though). The protagonist also has some level of self-loathing and loneliness that he hopes to alleviate through power, and in the end perhaps he realizes that he is in fact okay because he is just like everybody else: powerless.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-27-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    @allegro i realize all of that about BMWOG, however, i still have trouble with it.
    Also, i never bought the idea that it was a TA companion piece, but i suppose it's possible when you look at all the other TR/TA connections ie the tori song that says starfucker and their double albums both being released on the same day and the TR backup vocals on the TA song.

I think the reason that i didn't buy the connection is that i seem to remember one or the other of them denying it, however, that doesn't really mean shit.
    The author of Watership Down claimed that there was no religious symbolism in that book, which is fucking absurd.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @elevenism , TA said that the whole reason that TA and TR met is because he called her up and said he had listened to Little Earthquakes (released in 1992) and really loved it; this was BEFORE he recorded TDS. So, yeah ... "companion piece" is probably the wrong term; "reaction piece" is probably a better term. She references Reznor in "Precious Things" (those demigods with their nine-inch nails).

(Starfucker isn't about her, though. She wrote more songs about him and about CL, see "She's Your Cocaine," LOL)
    Last edited by allegro; 08-27-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    @elevenism, TA said that the whole reason that TA and TR met is because he called her up and said he had listened to Little Earthquakes and really loved it; this was BEFORE he recorded TDS. So, yeah ... "companion piece" is probably the wrong term; "reaction piece" is probably a better term.
    right, and trent was once quoted as saying that he listened to Little Earthquakes every day while working on TDS.
    The more i think about it, the more i think that it WAS some type of "reaction piece," but they denied it to avoid relationship rumors.

But for me, a song about, say, ritual satanic murder, recorded in attempt at irony or as a reaction to someone else's song about ritual satanic murder, is still a song about ritual satanic murder.

This is why i have trouble with the song. I know that TR was obviously shooting for a bigger meaning, but alas, it still is what it is: someone threatening to kill me if i don't blow him at gunpoint
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-27-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    There was a comment on a YouTube of 32 Ghosts IV that says it sounds like Darth Vader is beat boxing. It was spot on and I still can stop laughing at it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    right, and trent was once quoted as saying that he listened to Little Earthquakes every day while working on TDS.
    The more i think about it, the more i think that it WAS some type of "reaction piece," but they denied it to avoid relationship rumors.

But for me, a song about, say, ritual satanic murder, recorded in attempt at irony or as a reaction to someone else's song about ritual satanic murder, is still a song about ritual satanic murder.

This is why i have trouble with the song. I know that TR was obviously shooting for a bigger meaning, but alas, it still is what it is: someone threatening to kill me if i don't blow him at gunpoint
    I don't think they were in a relationship, I think he just liked that she wrote about "raw" things in a very vivid and emotional way, with a single "theme" running throughout the album, which was something he also strived to do.

I think you're looking at it wrong; with BMWAG he was writing a scathing piece about a really bad protagonist, so it was an empathetic piece to TA's piece; TR ISN'T the protagonist. He's exploring the various areas of living a life like that guy, but he's not necessarily "that guy."
    Last edited by allegro; 08-27-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    I don't think they were in a relationship, I think he just liked that she wrote about "raw" things in a very vivid and emotional way, with a single "theme" running throughout the album, which was something he also strived to do.

I think you're looking at it wrong; with BMWAG he was writing a scathing piece about a really bad protagonist, so it was an empathetic piece to TA's piece; TR ISN'T the protagonist. He's exploring the various areas of living a life like that guy, but he's not necessarily "that guy."
    Oh no, i totally get that, that trent is writing as someone else.
    What i'm saying is, whether that is the case or not, i STILL have a hard time with the CONTENT, you knoe? Like there is a Tyler, the Creator song that has the ironic chorus of "my bitch suck dick like my bitch suck dick." This inane statement is, to me, obviously a commentary on the banality of popular rap music. But to my wife, it's STILL a song saying "bitch suck dick" over and over and she finds it quite crude and doesn't want me to play it, even though she DOES understand the meaning.

And i have no idea if they were in a relationship, i just meant that hey wanted to avoid RUMORS of being in a relationship.

This keeps happening. Perhaps i am having trouble expressing my thoughts today.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-27-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    There was a comment on a YouTube of 32 Ghosts IV that says it sounds like Darth Vader is beat boxing. It was spot on and I still can stop laughing at it.
    Meathead on 5 Ghosts I: "For some reason this song makes me think of Darth Vader watching a Quentin Tarantino movie."

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    @allegro @elevenism

When I see "TR" and "TA" together, all I can think about is this:

It is time to tell the legendary tale of Charles Manson, Tori Amos, and a curiously uncooked chicken. Trent and Tori had become friends (he sang on her last album) and she would visit him at the Los Angeles house where TDS was recorded. The house where Manson followers killed Sharon Tate. On one visit, Tori told a depressed Trent that whe would whip him up a hearty home-cooked meal. The cursed chicken. After six hours in the Tate house oven, it was still bloody and raw. Tori's preferred excuse: "The spirits of the house wouldn't let it." Eventually Trent left for another studio, where he ordered in.

And the chicken?
    He shrugs. "I didn't ask. The ghosts ate it."

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I always thought that story was just a "90s rocker" story. Or they were both high as balls and forgot to put the oven on.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @elevenism , BMWAG used to make me feel really uncomfortable, too, until I realized that it's SUPPOSED to make you feel uncomfortable, that's its intent.

If you feel uncomfortable: Mission Accomplished.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    so it turns out that, according to this website, the TR TA connection is some type of dark conspiracy that the record industry doesn't want you to know about! For instance, both used apple computers! Also, they BOTH had labels distributed by Atlantic records!
    And if that doesn't convince you, at one point, they had both released a total of two singles off their latest album.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @elevenism , my recollection seems to think that records are or were released on Tuesdays and that TA has released a lot more records than TR so this is coincidence, never mind the fact that I used to be on boards and news groups back in the 90s and early 2000s inhabited by girls who provided detailed information as to their rather short-lived relationship with the certain Rock Star male in question who was, at the time, living the typical Rock Star lifestyle, to which of course he was entitled (of course TA was not in that scene), to which Manson's book can provide testimony.

Now this does not mean that TA did not aspire to be in said relationship, or did not use said aspiration and the mystery of same to her benefit, mind you ... A lot of profit can be made off of said conspiracy. Or, it just adds fodder for discussion among those who don't have anything better to talk about over on certain message boards I won't name ...
    Last edited by allegro; 08-28-2016 at 04:21 AM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    @allegro , a la Evan Dando/Juliana Hatfield, regarding the "will they/won't they" and "is this song about her/him, zomg it totally is" sort of thing?

Like, as a rabid lemonheads fan in the nineties, i bought JH records for just that reason

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @elevenism , HAHAHA EXACTLY!!!!

I guess we get the same thing, now, with Taylor Swift, LOL and any other guy

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Last night I had a dream that I was in a room with Trent and a handful of people from ETS and we were trolling Trent about "soon" and the supposed 2016 new stuff. At one point he had his shirtless back to us and I started painting some weird looking tattoo idea on his back with black paint and my index finger. There was a lot of laughter. What the fuck was that all about?

no, I don't recall which ETS people were with me unfortunately.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Last night I had a dream that I was in a room with Trent and a handful of people from ETS and we were trolling Trent about "soon" and the supposed 2016 new stuff. At one point he had his shirtless back to us and I started painting some weird looking tattoo idea on his back with black paint and my index finger. There was a lot of laughter. What the fuck was that all about?

no, I don't recall which ETS people were with me unfortunately.
    that's hilarious.
    i've had dreams regarding ets and nin too, one where we like rented a 747 to go and pick everyone up to go to the show.

As to what its all about, hmmm. The tattoo, especially combined with us trolling him, could it have something to do with you wondering if trent still comes here and lurks, and thinking about how it might hurt his feelings, as in MARKED him, if he saw his fans laughing about "soon" and NIN 2016?

Maybe did you feel a little guilt deep down for that skeleton pic? OR, maybe were you just deep down wondering if he saw it?
    That's my best guest @Ryan

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    that's hilarious.
    i've had dreams regarding ets and nin too, one where we like rented a 747 to go and pick everyone up to go to the show.

As to what its all about, hmmm. The tattoo, especially combined with us trolling him, could it have something to do with you wondering if trent still comes here and lurks, and thinking about how it might hurt his feelings, as in MARKED him, if he saw his fans laughing about "soon" and NIN 2016?

Maybe did you feel a little guilt deep down for that skeleton pic? OR, maybe were you just deep down wondering if he saw it?
    That's my best guest @Ryan

Skeleton pic AND the 2016 Plans Fake Screen Grab, lol.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Best two releases of 2016!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Not really a NIN question rather than a musical question (don't know where else to put it):

Does anybody know how to produce that voice-powered synth that Trent did for example on Leaving Hope or The Frail?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Not really a NIN question rather than a musical question (don't know where else to put it):

Does anybody know how to produce that voice-powered synth that Trent did for example on Leaving Hope or The Frail?
    I'm actually working on something along these lines right now. I will make the ETS announcement... soon.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    This person seamlessly edited the instrumentals of Please and Appendage to sound like the Fragile cassette. Thanks, Starlord!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    'Tis the month? (for something, anything - news, info, single)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    'Tis the month? (for something, anything - news, info, single)
    The launch of the new ios10 from Apple is next Wednesday isn't it? And I read somewhere the new iPhone will be in shops Sept 16th? (Which was supposed to be new single date)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    "Me, I'm Not" is so damn haunting. Love it.