Page 275 of 528 FirstFirst ... 175 225 265 273 274 275 276 277 285 325 375 ... LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,250 of 15838

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    @wizfan @Kris need to remember how to have random thoughts, because these look like random trivia flashes to me

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    @wizfan @Kris need to remember how to have random thoughts, because these look like random trivia flashes to me
    I'll think about it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reznovka View Post
    I really love the Stella version of AWP. I always hoped for other "remixes" with her like an leaving hope version or something like that.

As much as I want a new NINrecord, I really hope he will not tour this year. We bought a new car and have to watch our bankaccounts now :/
    If there'll be a tour I don't want a festival only tour like 2013. 120€ for a single concert is a bit too much....and we all know festival bathrooms.
    Nah, I take everything that Trent throws at us.
    I'm worried about the same thing! I just bought my first home, and now have two new dogs, so I'm still adjusting to the new financial normal. I know if NIN went on tour, that will totally mess up my budgeting. I'd still definitely try to make a couple shows, but not nearly as much as I would like to see, or have done in the past.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Does this mean I have to finally get around to watching Twin Peaks

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Does this mean I have to finally get around to watching Twin Peaks
    I'm in the same boat. I loved Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart but just never got round to Twin Peaks, it never seems to be on TV either, still at least it's only two series and a film

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I loved Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart but just never got round to Twin Peaks, it never seems to be on TV either, still at least it's only two series and a film
    Never watched Twin Peaks. Hated the CBH video. Didn't like the Unstaged show he did with Duran Duran. So will probably just watch the (I'm guessing) 2 minute cameo on youtube or something! This had better not be the 'other things' that Trent referred to in his Xmas tweet (hopefully as TP's not airing until next year, it isn't)....unless he's doing the music for it too of course....

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Does this mean Trent Reznor and Eddie Vedder will be singing together in an episode?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Did I miss the news somewhere that Reznor will have a cameo in the new Twin Peaks show???

o_O

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It's not just Trent appearing, but also Mariqueen... Maybe a HTDA cameo? But Atticus Ross isn't on the list and neither is Rob... Maybe Trent and Mariqueen play a couple? Maybe they play lodge spirits? You can never tell with Lynch.
    Edit: Robin Finck is also cast? Hmmm...

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Thanks, that sounds really interesting.

At least one "Rob" of Trent's is going to be there, that's pretty cool. I'd hope that a married father of three in recovery would know better than to play with spirits, though.

But admittedly being a Black Lodge Spirit might just be a superfan/bucketlist cheat-day thing, I guess.

:)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Never watched Twin Peaks. Hated the CBH video. Didn't like the Unstaged show he did with Duran Duran. So will probably just watch the (I'm guessing) 2 minute cameo on youtube or something! This had better not be the 'other things' that Trent referred to in his Xmas tweet (hopefully as TP's not airing until next year, it isn't)....unless he's doing the music for it too of course....
    Don't be put off David lynch because of the CBH video. Blue velvet and wild at heart are amazing films

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I actually kind of dig the Came Back Haunted. But it feels less like a music video and more like a video that should be in background on a screen during a live performance. The shaky cam closeup of Trent reminds me of Lost Highway.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Don't be put off David lynch because of the CBH video. Blue velvet and wild at heart are amazing films
    OK. To give you an example I like the films of Scorcese, Tarantino and Fincher a lot - all fairly conventional (compared to the little I've seen of Lynch). Based on that, which of his films am I most likely to like in your opinion. Happy to give one a go...

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I think Lost Highway would be your best bet. Not too abstract or artsy, not too dated, and it it will definitely satisfy your yen for gangster-oriented pulp fiction while easing you into the Lynch-ian worldview his fans love so much and meeting you halfway with a fantastic soundtrack. There's a reason it's one of his most successful films.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'd recommend Blue Velvet as a starter. It's the first David Lynch film I watched and the first that got me obsessed. I ended up watching Twin Peaks (and the movie) after that, then Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Wild At Heart, Eraserhead and Inland Empire (which is probably one of the weirdest films ever made. It's like a fever dream caught on video. It's claustrophobic and nightmare inducing)

Dune is kind of interesting visually, but not his best. The Straight Story is incredibly underrated and Elephant Man is a beautiful film.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    OK. To give you an example I like the films of Scorcese, Tarantino and Fincher a lot - all fairly conventional (compared to the little I've seen of Lynch). Based on that, which of his films am I most likely to like in your opinion. Happy to give one a go...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    I think Lost Highway would be your best bet. Not too abstract or artsy, not too dated, and it it will definitely satisfy your yen for gangster-oriented pulp fiction while easing you into the Lynch-ian worldview his fans love so much and meeting you halfway with a fantastic soundtrack. There's a reason it's one of his most successful films.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I'd recommend Blue Velvet as a starter. It's the first David Lynch film I watched and the first that got me obsessed. I ended up watching Twin Peaks (and the movie) after that, then Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Wild At Heart, Eraserhead and Inland Empire (which is probably one of the weirdest films ever made. It's like a fever dream caught on video. It's claustrophobic and nightmare inducing)

Dune is kind of interesting visually, but not his best. The Straight Story is incredibly underrated and Elephant Man is a beautiful film.
    i find blue velvet far too upsetting to watch again. it's really good, it's just...not a good time.

i would agree with haz and say start with lost highway. that was my entry point into the world of lynch, and i think it's perfect. plus, like he said, killer soundtrack (that's why i wanted to watch it).

also, @sheepdean (et al), twin peaks is great. there's no other show like it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Definitely Blue Velvet, it's disturbing but comprehensible, wild at heart is very weird but I still liked it because I really like Nicholas cage and Laura dern's characters. Eraserhead I didn't really get and Dune I wasn't keen on either. And that's all i've seen

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Did I miss the news somewhere that Reznor will have a cameo in the new Twin Peaks show???

o_O
    I'm surprised marilyn manson isn't in it given the stuff he's done with lynch. Perhaps touring made it impossible
    Last edited by WorzelG; 04-26-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Well, he's certainly kept himself busy on the road and with cameo appearances in various TV shows and movies...but I'd imagine he'd move heaven and earth (as it were) to work on a Twin Peaks/David Lynch project in ANY capacity.

I'm guessing Reznor and Lynch bonded and worked together well enough that the idea of inviting Manson never even entered into the discussion afterward, since that's kind of what it sounded like happened at the outset.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Mulholland Drive is the best...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Here's something I wrote on David Lynch: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2016/0...vid-lynch.html

It's a four-part essay in the links below the page.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I seemed to have stopped calling Nine Inch Nails they and them altogether for quite some time. I often say he or him. I also still sometimes use the word band to describe Nine Inch Nails, but I also find myself saying that Nine Inch Nails or he is a musician and a singer whenever discussing NIN for the time with others, especially if they haven't heard about him before.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I also find myself saying that Nine Inch Nails or he is a musician and a singer whenever discussing NIN for the time with others, especially if they haven't heard about him before.
    Pro-tip : it usually confuses people, it's too much information, and really they couldn't care less. Unless they want to know everything there is to know about that great band* they never heard about, you really shouldn't jump through hoops to talk about it.

* : (because one way or the other Reznor isn't Lopatin and NIN is a concerted effort)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    NIN is a they to me - like The Streets and La Roux etc, it's easier to pluralise than to explain the intricacies of the artist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I bet Trent heard the new Youth Code record and decided not to release a new NIN this year.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    I bet Trent heard the new Youth Code record and decided not to release a new NIN this year.
    Nah, you're confusing NIN and Skinny Puppy. It's okay, a lot of people do.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Honestly, barring Reznor's involvement, LOST HIGHWAY is really one of Lynch's weaker efforts. Most of his movies have some sort of new angle or abstract indictment of americana, but LH just seems like a looser, formless retread of those themes with new goth wallpaper for 90s kids.

I'm by no means a Lynch superfan though, I think he's about 50/50.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I actually kind of dig the Came Back Haunted. But it feels less like a music video and more like a video that should be in background on a screen during a live performance. The shaky cam closeup of Trent reminds me of Lost Highway.
    CBH is prob bottom 3 for me, including Only which is just boring and of course Deep.

Top 3 in no particular order would be Closer and TPD, and maybe MOTP. WITT is good too. They all just fit the songs so well. The worst 3......not so much. Big name directors too. Weird.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Ok my top NIN videos are The Perfect Drug, Wish and Head Like A Hole.......and We're In This Together

I just loved the whole Vampire/Victorian angle of TPD. To me, that was the ultimate image of Trent (I have always wished that he had released an album around that time). Wish and HLAH were very aggressive and visceral... these were the videos that introduced me to NIN and at the time, the image and music were too extreme for me... but the videos drew me in.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 04-28-2016 at 11:40 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    How anyone can not think Closer's video is a fucking masterpiece of the visual medium is beyond me. That thing was defining for me as a new fan. TPD is an amazing video, too. In general Romanek + Reznor seemed to result in perfection. I really wish we'd have learned whatever that thing Romanek teased about a year or so ago was.

I think all videos went downhill post-TDS era but especially post-Fragile. Though we all know the Discipline video is the greatest, duh.

I've said it before but Year Zero is the largest missed opportunity for videos Trent's ever had. Imagine if someone had found a USB with a full video for something like Me, I'm Not or The Great Destroyer? There could've been weird concept videos with tons of glitch art and images of government tyranny and showing the indoctrination of society for The Greater Good. Something similar to The Loop Closes video for HTDA maybe. Me, I'm Not could've been extremely weird and moody with distorted closeups of Trent's face in RGB glitch art mixed with the type of imagery used for the 2013 festival/2014 NA screens. There could've been execution videos and images of riots for Meet Your Master. There could've been some really cool drug addiction juxtaposed with hopped up soldiers for Vessel or something. A whole recreation of The Warning's story and comic. In general there was so much potential (or so I used to say). If there was ever a NIN album lending itself to the cinematic it was YZ and we never got it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Favorite NIN video? that's easy....Broken film. I feel like they're speaking to me.