Page 263 of 528 FirstFirst ... 163 213 253 261 262 263 264 265 273 313 363 ... LastLast
Results 7,861 to 7,890 of 15838

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguymark View Post
    That song is one that I never really connected with. I guess when the Fragile came out, it was kind of all over the place, and I liked it enough as a passing interest. Years later, when I really got into NIN as a whole, Starfuckers just stood out in the catalog, and on the album, in a way that bothered me. That was my impression until a couple of weeks ago, when I finally picked up Things Falling Apart. The different (version)s are all interesting in their own right, and reveal the value of that song that I just didn't see before. Or something.
    I don't get how people can say a particular song feels out of place on a NIN album. To me the albums are crazy roller coaster rides with extreme highs and lows that snake around like a cobra on crack. Starfuckers, like Everything in HM, to me are tracks that are absurd but absolutely fit into the crazy narratives that the albums are as a whole. To me, it would be the same thing as saying, "That scene where the guy beats the kid's brains out with a baseball bat was so out of place!" Well, it's a dark movie, so what do you expect? It's going to take some extreme twisted turns. Expect it. That's NIN.
    Last edited by placepinion; 01-11-2016 at 01:47 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by placepinion View Post
    I don't get how people can say a particular song feels out of place on a NIN album. To me the albums are crazy roller coaster rides with extreme highs and lows that snake around like a cobra on crack. Starfuckers, like Everything in HM, to me are tracks that are absurd but absolutely fit into the crazy narratives that the albums are as a whole. To me, it would be the same thing as saying, "That scene where the guy beats the kid's brains out with a baseball bat was so out of place!" Well, it's a dark movie, so what do you expect? It's going to take some extreme twisted turns. Expect it. That's NIN.
    I'm pretty sure I can think of one track that is out of place on a nin album-length release

Although, Physical and Suck are meant to be out of place, aren't they? Like that's the whole point of being on their own disc/at the end, because they weren't meant for Broken

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I'm pretty sure I can think of one track that is out of place on a nin album-length release

Although, Physical and Suck are meant to be out of place, aren't they? Like that's the whole point of being on their own disc/at the end, because they weren't meant for Broken
    Exactly. Believe it or not, Trent knows exactly what he's doing.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Exactly. Believe it or not, Trent knows exactly what he's doing.
    Yes, and Trent meant to add them on to the end, as separate, because the Lolla promotional release fell through but he liked the covers and wanted to give them to the fans

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I was just dissecting NIN overdrive/distortion bass guitar sounds and aside from that I began to realize just how much Trent's insecurities about himself that he used to have show throughout his lyrics in more songs than I thought. I can very closely relate to his words from various sources.

Specifically, stuff that's related to destroying his past self:

Sunspots
    my life has taken a turn
    why in the name of god would i ever want to return
    peel off our skin we're gonna burn what we were to the ground
    fuck in the fire and we'll spread all the ashes around
    i wanna kill away the rest of whats left and i do

With Teeth
    wave goodbye to what you were

Various Methods of Escape
    a place to bury everything i did
    and burn it to the ground
    i've gotta let go
    i've gotta get stray/straight?
    why'd you have to make it so hard
    let me get away

Ice Age
    sometimes i still believe who i pretend to be

I Would For You
    see I keep lying to myself
    don't know what else there is to do
    if i could be somebody else
    i think i would for you
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 01-16-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Can we track down the guy who had the proshot Bowie/NIN stuff and try again for the full release? Seems worth it more now.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Will always be my favorite Bowie song.

RIP.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Can we track down the guy who had the proshot Bowie/NIN stuff and try again for the full release? Seems worth it more now.
    I thought the part we got was everything that was properly mixed/cut. Everything else probably exists in raw uncut form.

But I'm sure the vaults of archive Bowie material will open again in the years to come.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I thought the part we got was everything that was properly mixed/cut. Everything else probably exists in raw uncut form.

But I'm sure the vaults of archive Bowie material will open again in the years to come.
    Yeah that's what I meant, I have the vids we did get saved, backed up and saved again lol

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    So I was visiting with a NIN friend on Saturday and we were talking about Bowie, ended up watching through a bunch of stuff on Youtube while chatting, and we found It's... interesting. Like, a different kind of weird than we're used to in fan music videos.
    I knew I wanted to share it on ETS, because more people need to know this exists, but I was busy yesterday.
    Kinda bittersweet to share it now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I wonder what Trent would have said many years ago if someone had asked him simply "Hey man, what exactly don't you like about who you used to be? Whats's this thing you're trying to hide and destroy all the time?"

If I were asked that question a few years ago, I would be pretty damn embarrassed to admit what it was. I've heard of a lot of rock starts/musicians coming out and admitting that they wanted to "be that guy"; the best, the most messed up, the most hardcore, the most tough, the most bad ass/kool basically. With all the pressure of the masses and fans expectations I'm not surprised at all to hear that.

But at the end of the day it's like, lol man wait a second, isn't that desire just downright embarrassing to hold onto and keep secret? I mean this is the kind of anxiety I had when I was in elementary and highschool!

I'm not saying that's exact what Trent was particularly hiding, but I mean what else would he really need to hide other than not being as "amazing" as everyone thought he was? Doing unkind or bad things to people is pretty much the only other thing I can think of. Other than that, I would imagine that being awkward around woman or people in general would have been a major thing that he wanted to erase from his past. I mean, I remember those interviews where he messed up lines on MTV and stuff... That's hard on a musicians ego lol. Or maybe back in the day, some bad ass NIN fan girl with a dragon tattoo on her back was really into him, but at the time, he was struggling with social anxiety, so when he took her to his place one time she was like "Wtf this guy is so awkward... I thought Trent Reznor was a rockstar freak but he's like fumbling over his words and not making eye contact and... Wasn't he supposed to fuck me like an animal by now? Okay well now that I'm here, I'm going to make it really hard for him to get away hee hee!!"

And then later on Trent's like, "Oh!! I'm so imperfect and tainted.. I'VE GOTTA LET GO!!! I'VE GOTTA GET STRAY/STREIGHT. WHY'D YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT SO HARD?!? LET ME GET AWAY!!"

All jokes aside I fucking love that song and I love Trent Reznor. I'm not saying this actually did happen, but I'm just trying to imagine what he was struggling with and these things come to mind.

Could happen to someone.. Could've happened to my past self at least!
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 01-12-2016 at 12:41 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Oh man I can't believe I had another Trent Reznor dream last night! It's so weird I've had like 4 in the past 4 months.

Okay so I'm like at this free NIN concert in some large city legion; you know, like those town halls where sometimes small local bands play at. In my mind I'm like, "hm, kind of weird NIN would do a free concert at a small venue like this..." The place practically looks like a highschool gym complete with stage lol. So I'm at this place and it's pretty much full of various NIN fans; some actually watching the show, and others casually talking among each other and I'm like what the hell is this? The music isn't that loud, it's all instrumental sort of Ghosts-like stuff, but not even as impressive, and Trent looks like he's just off to the side of the stage with his nose in a laptop; all laid back Aphex Twin style. At some point I work my way towards the front of the stage and I under my breath or maybe to a friend I say something on the lines of "Why's Trent doing such a small show like this?" And somehow Trent hears me and he says something to me like "You know not everyone feels the need to flaunt a stadium packed concert every time they do a show" or something like that. This whole time I'm quite surprised by how modest and casual this whole thing appears to be. Soon enough however, I find myself just being an observer and I'm looking to the crowd from the stage. Now things are starting to pick up and Trent's more in the center of the stage and his band mates and him pick up their guitars and prep for a song. BUT, as they do this, Trent gets caught up in some cables and something like his guitar strap is hooked with another guitarist right beside him. So now these two guys have their guitars in their hands, but their trying to unhook each other from the cables or whatever, and finally they get free and they're like "alright. one. two - " lol and here's the fuckin hilarious part. On three Trent attempts to strike an aggressive guitar riff to start the song, and just as he swings his arm down, the whole neck of his fucking guitar snaps right off from the guitar body and he virtually trips over himself lol. It was so anticlimactic I'm pretty sure I laughed in my dream and maybe woke myself up from it.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 01-12-2016 at 04:15 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I used to mishear the breakdown to Mr Self Destruct as "You made me do this to you." and noticed and like how "You let me do this to you." sounded a lot more menacing and aggressive. Oh, and while checking out the NIN Wiki, I was also reminded of "I am the need in you for more.", and it certainly makes me appreciate and relate to the song a whole lot more.

It's just one of those very simple, yet profound lyrics. The need for more can certainly make or break us and eat us from the inside out. And now that I somehow thought about this with the word eat in mind, I like how the first track on Hesitation Marks is named The Eater Of Dreams, which also lead me to think about With Teeth. This is still just a guess, and I'm not claiming anything, but it seemed like Trent had the those eating expressions in mind.

For some reason, I didn't really think about that, or at least as much before.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-13-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised if the next bit of news we receive this 2016 will include Trent's involvement with The Overlook Hotel.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised if the next bit of news we receive...
    I wouldn't be surprised if the day of any news break you're popping out with THERE, TOLD YOU GUYS!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    i want new nin and i want it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    i wanna know if placepinion is friends with rabbit

On a SLIGHTLY more serious note,
    in 07 or 08 or so, back when i was eleven11 , somebody came here and made a goofy ass thread titled "parade of fun" or something along those lines.
    And when people tried to explain to him about how making threads works, he said more goofy shit. One thing i specifically remember him saying was "i don't understand. isn't this where all the NIN fans are supposed to go?"

And it turned out to be someone from the nin camp trolling us. I wanna say it was Robin. Do you guys remember that, and remember who it was? it was so goddamn funny.

I also remember asking a question about trent's "feud" with Chris Vrenna, and having Chris Vrenna answer my question.

I miss the days when those guys hung out here.

I also remember SOMEBODY (not gonna name names ) getting in an argument with @teitan about something nin related, not realizing who she was talking to.

I wonder if teitan is lurking as a guest here sometimes. I bet you he is. It'd be hard not to.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-13-2016 at 05:07 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'd be very surprised if he is, seems like he's had enough of social media. But yeah, I wish he and other NIN contributors still interacted with the community in some way.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Can someone answer this for me? I figure 17 years is long enough for me to be guessing..

What does TR say after "I'd"

If I could fix myself I'd ????
    But it's too late for me

Something like

If I could fix myself I'd break down?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    He says nothing, this line ends abrupt in the booklet lyrics as well.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I always thought it was meant as a contraction of "I would." So just saying if he could, he'd fix himself, but he can't.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I always fill it in with "die". Nonsense though. On Still I hear "I'd...I don't know"

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    It's an exhale, people. He gives up.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    For very obvious reasons, this part of Closure has been constantly replaying over and over in my mind as of late.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I used to mishear the breakdown to Mr Self Destruct as "You made me do this to you." and noticed and like how "You let me do this to you." sounded a lot more menacing and aggressive. Oh, and while checking out the NIN Wiki, I was also reminded of "I am the need in your for more.", and it certainly makes me appreciate and relate to the song a whole lot more.

It's just one of those very simple, yet profound lyrics. The need for more can certainly make or break us and eat us from the inside out. And now that I somehow thought about this with the word eat in mind, I like how the first track on Hesitation Marks is named The Eater Of Dreams, which also lead me to think about With Teeth. This is still just a guess, and I'm not claiming anything, but it seemed like Trent had the those eating expressions in mind.

For some reason, I didn't really think about that, or at least as much before.
    "I am the need in your for more"... Hm, it took me a couple moments to understand that phrase but I get it now. And regarding the word eat and With Teeth, that's an interesting association I haven't thought about.

Also, that's interesting how it's your thing to listen to NIN on overcast nights. I recently moved to an area in my city called Delta, which is kind of a commercial and industrial wasteland, but it's situated on a giant hill that remains high for a long ways, beside stretches of lower farmland. Powertowers stretch all over the place and for some reason being here at night while listening to the song Satellite feels almost "right"; like I've almost chose the right setting that could match this song if it were used in a music video or something.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 01-13-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    My wife dropped the bomb on me the other day that she thought the lyrics to terrible lie were "turn out the lights" instead.

Can I facepalm my own post?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    My wife dropped the bomb on me the other day that she thought the lyrics to terrible lie were "turn out the lights" instead.

Can this room really be as bright as it seems

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post

An old friend of mine told me that his ex always used to hear the lyrics of 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' as 'Ghost man so close to me' and it's always stuck in my head...I think 'turn out the lights' might too.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    this is random. i once wrote a girl a poem using the entire lyrics to "and all that could have been"....she wasnt a NIN fan and had no clue they were song lyrics...it worked...i scored with her that night..thanks trent

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    this is random. i once wrote a girl a poem using the entire lyrics to "and all that could have been"....she wasnt a NIN fan and had no clue they were song lyrics...it worked...i scored with her that night..thanks trent

Man you went full fedora and it paid off?!? Good on you man!