Page 245 of 521 FirstFirst ... 145 195 235 243 244 245 246 247 255 295 345 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,350 of 15617

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

  1. #7321
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    5,494
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    She also opened at the Palladium in 2009
    Yes, that was with the whole Queen Kwong backing band I believe (before Wes Borland joined).

  2. #7322
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    9,098
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    As someone who has been on drugs and drunk almost to the point of dying over and over and in and out of recovery SOOOOO much, to me, the slip artwork is obvious...it's the dope creeping back up on you, sneaking up behind you.

    And the big come down is about, well, drugs. Now i may be interpreting this stuff wrong, but for me, there has never, EVER been a question about these things...same with songs like please, 1,000,000, SICNH. It just screams it fucking blatantly to me. It's a thread that as always present in NIN and i think that's part of why so many of us who are in recovery (and out of it...that's usually how it goes,) REALLY relate to nin, and you hear things like "awhita teetha saved my life."

    ANYWAY. as for why i came here.
    Is disappointed political? Is trent talking about being disappointed with the current administration (and being "part of the reason" as an obama supporter?)
    It's REALLY starting to sound like it to me. At first i thought it was one of those "meta" tracks like (the way i interpret) ticks and leeches, or Hooker with a Penis.

    But now i think that it's definitely political. And if IT'S political, i think that there might be a TOUCH of it in All Time Low too.

    Has anyone else considered this? Probably in the discussion thread for the song when the record came out...sorry if these are old ideas.

    Oh hey @kleiner352 ... when i reviewed TF for my college newspaper in 99, i called the "mantras" nursery rhymes for the end of the world (which i THINK i paraphrased from something trent said, but still. ) I REALLY wish i had a copy of that review but the cocksuckers won't give me the time of day. i REALLY pissed them off 15 years ago and if any of the same people work there, i can understand why they ignore me.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-10-2015 at 04:28 PM.

  3. #7323
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    5,494
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Is disappointed political? Is trent talking about being disappointed with the current administration (and being "part of the reason" as an obama supporter?)
    It's REALLY starting to sound like it to me. At first i thought it was one of those "meta" tracks like (the way i interpret) ticks and leeches, or Hooker with a Penis.

    But now i think that it's definitely political. And if IT'S political, i think that there might be a TOUCH of it in All Time Low too.
    Hadn't occurred to me before to read them in that light. There's a bit of the "submission=power" dynamic, which is usually expressed in the recovery-focussed lyrics of NIN's that you mentioned as being aligned with the seductive nature of addiction. But, since TR started using those metaphors for explicitly political purposes as well (starting with "The Hand That Feeds"), all of the words since then can be read politically, I suppose. He's never really commented one way or another about the Obama administration since the election.

    I honestly don't understand what Americans who supported Obama have to be disappointed about, unless they were naďve enough to actually think he was Superman.

  4. #7324
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,425
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    He's never really commented one way or another about the Obama administration since the election.
    Almost certain around the time HM came out there was an interviewer asking him about Year Zero's concept and whatnot and Trent expressed large disappointment with feeling as though at the time he thought "Wow, I might change something here," and that when Obama was elected he felt highly optimistic and that things would improve, only for nothing to get better, and commented on the NSA/PRISM debacle as well. Really wish I could find a source but it fits really well with the idea that Satellite and Disappointed are political. @elevenism you're the first person I've seen comment on Disappointed as that at all and I think that's a fantastic interpretation, even explains the live visuals a lot -- feeling that our political system is "boxed in" and stuck in a cage where nothing's gonna change.

  5. #7325
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    9,098
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    @botley , what @kleiner352 said

  6. #7326
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,136
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    I really read it as an evolution of the Mr Self Destruct voice : "I am the lies that you believe (and I control you)//You'd think by now you'd figure out that nothing's going to change (and I am part of the reason)

  7. #7327
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Anyone think there might be a parallel between The New Flesh and Demon Seed given the way the lyrics are printed with the same numbered verses?

  8. #7328
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    5,494
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    ^ The parallel is that they both use numbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Almost certain around the time HM came out there was an interviewer asking him about Year Zero's concept and whatnot and Trent expressed large disappointment with feeling as though at the time he thought "Wow, I might change something here," and that when Obama was elected he felt highly optimistic and that things would improve, only for nothing to get better, and commented on the NSA/PRISM debacle as well. Really wish I could find a source but it fits really well with the idea that Satellite and Disappointed are political. @elevenism you're the first person I've seen comment on Disappointed as that at all and I think that's a fantastic interpretation, even explains the live visuals a lot -- feeling that our political system is "boxed in" and stuck in a cage where nothing's gonna change.
    Anybody have a link to this interview?

  9. #7329
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Maybe the songs tie in together somehow maybe?

  10. #7330
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,425
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ The parallel is that they both use numbers.



    Anybody have a link to this interview?
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...f-trent-reznor

    CTRL+F Obama.

    "The day he was elected really felt like: 'I can't believe that just happened.' Jump ahead a few years and … I know one person can't change everything and it's the system that's broken, but the [Edward] Snowden shit that we're finding out about now, is this a surprise to anybody? But no one will do anything about it. We just had banks rip us off, bankrupt the country. Who went to jail for that? Who's accountable for that? Whatever changed about that? Nothing. [Year Zero] has come true. And nobody's doing anything about it, nobody cares. Some people speak up, but only when convenient. Complaining about it on social media isn't gonna change anything."

  11. #7331
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    9,098
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    okay i'm gonna go out on a limb here.
    I think that all time low is political too.

    the first verse (i've heard all i need to know etc) is about seeing obama's policies and saying "oh shit! it's the same but even worse!"

    then, "the paranoia turns to fear." This is (the narrator, like you guys always say, i just think Trent) hearing about the whole "new world order, conspiracy vibe." it's there. it's fucking nuts, but if you're paying attention, it's CREEPY. Now before you say i'm crazy on this one, remember that we are talking about the man who penned TBOTE...YZ in general, and also Letting You.

    Also, the whole "get down on the floor" bit...nothing has changed. We are getting fucked. We know the drill.

    This is what i get out of listening to it over and over since it came out. Paired with Satellite which is OBviouslY about NSA spying and such, i think that those songs are DEFINITELY a political treatise.

    I LOVE and respect everyone else's ideas. Nearly everyone in these types of discussions hits on something profound. It's one of the great things about NIN, the ambiguity and dual meaning of the lyrics. to me, it used to be "is it about a girl or is it about dope?" Now politics are thrown in too. You guys are smart and have great ideas.

    I actually think i'm right on this one though.

  12. #7332
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,071
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @kleiner352 - I just found this again. I forgot that it actually even existed and thought that you might love to see this. As I ended up wondering what it would be like if an influx of "Christian Conservative Republicans" posted on Echoing the Sound like I've admitted to you before, I ended up searching for "Nine Inch Nails", "Conservative" and "Republican" on Google and then ended up finding this particular article. It really is such a good read, which is clearly no surprise as Mormolyke sure knows how to deliver. I don't really get into politics at all, but I'll admit that it sometimes interests me enough to think about or randomly read up on, even if just to get a general sense of how people's political and religious beliefs, or lack of beliefs work together or against each other.

    This still occurred to me more and more, because whenever I read posts from people that admitted they were "Christian Conservative Republicans" on Facebook, in most cases, they would often seem to absolutely contradict most if not all of the views and movements discussed and expressed on ETS along with its support threads, and it seemed to safe to assume that you clearly won't really find that much of the "religious right" among NIN fans on and off the Internet. I'm still aware of exceptions and am open to them though. Whenever I think about politics, religion and Nine Inch Nails fans, they often tend to fall under "Liberal", "Democrat" and "Atheist".

    Oh, and not to deny everything/anything else in between either as I'm aware that there are so many gray areas and combinations of religious views and/or political views/parties, but that still often seemed to generally be the case, even in real life, as I've also taken the time to notice that outside of ETS. This also fascinates me because I actually grew up from a Christian background, and the majority of my Christian friends, acquaintances and family in real life as I was growing up until now also lean towards the right as "Republican" and "Conservative", while being constantly inundated with those beliefs/views.

    @elevenism - I thought that you'd like to check it out as well.

    http://blog.melissadunphy.com/2005/0...t-be-fans.html
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 08-12-2015 at 04:56 PM.

  13. #7333
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,112
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    @elevenism - I thought that you'd like to check it out as well.

    http://blog.melissadunphy.com/2005/0...t-be-fans.html
    She looks like she knows the score

  14. #7334
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    9,098
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    She looks like she knows the score
    yep, sure enough. and her name sounds familiar for some reason
    @eversonpoe you don't agree with my interpretation of satellite/disappointed/all time low ?

  15. #7335
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    10,465
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    yep, sure enough. and her name sounds familiar for some reason
    @eversonpoe you don't agree with my interpretation of satellite/disappointed/all time low ?
    satellite? sure. disappointed? not really, no. i think it's much more of a self-reflection. all time low? definitely not.

    all time low is absolutely in the same vein as with teeth (the song), blurring the line between substance addiction and sexuality. i hear not even the slightest bit of political commentary.

    (also, thank you for not freaking out about me facepalming your post and instead simply starting a discussion. i feel like we've come a long way ;p )

  16. #7336
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    9,098
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    satellite? sure. disappointed? not really, no. i think it's much more of a self-reflection. all time low? definitely not.

    all time low is absolutely in the same vein as with teeth (the song), blurring the line between substance addiction and sexuality. i hear not even the slightest bit of political commentary.

    (also, thank you for not freaking out about me facepalming your post and instead simply starting a discussion. i feel like we've come a long way ;p )
    maybe you're right. Maybe i'm reaching because it's what I'VE been thinking about.
    I'll give you that on all time low. But i'm sticking to my guns on disappointed. I never, however, listened to it as a sexuality/substance abuse song which is strange because that's PRETTTY much how i interpret every nin song.
    I think he is on some other shit now though.

    As far as me freaking out when you facepalmed me that tiime.....dude...i was going through some serious shit. My wife was still my crazy violent gf, things were NOT stable, and i was, how you say...off my meds? and on meds that weren't prescribed to me?

    I'm still embarrassed about it :P


    OH WAIT>>> you are saying that ATL is about substance abuse.sexuality. Yeah, i hear that too. But i STILL think it might be political.

    What about Disappointed? Do you take it like Hooker With A Penis by Tool?

    And while we're at it, is JLYI about our expectations for the album? Like...check this out, it's just like you imagined...and the little joke is that it's NOT what we imagined?
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-12-2015 at 05:25 PM.

  17. #7337
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'd like to see a movie where Trent and Atticus play a major role as bank robbers doing a heist.

  18. #7338
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,112
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    I'd like to see a movie where Trent and Atticus play a major role as bank robbers doing a heist.
    A feature length remake of Rihanna and Shy Ronnie?

  19. #7339
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Santa Mira, CA
    Posts
    922
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I've been listening to a little bit of music from the Silent Hill video games and I realized it had to be inspired by NIN.

  20. #7340
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm glad Trent isn't touring right now cause if he did I would be more in debt as now I am a graduate student.

  21. #7341
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    on my way to hell
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I've been listening to a little bit of music from the Silent Hill video games and I realized it had to be inspired by NIN.
    Silent Hill wouldn’t be Silent Hill without Akira Yamaoka and his soundtracks. Daniel Licht wasn’t bad but I would have picked Trent as the only person who could have come close to replacing Akira on a Silent Hill soundtrack. And how in the hell Korn managed to worm their way onto that last game, I’m still trying to figure that one out?

  22. #7342
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Why do NIN fans come across as more intelligent and more informed than most, if not all, other band fan bases?

  23. #7343
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,228
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^were you around in 2009?
    Although the most obsessive and weird fan base I've ever come across has to be Gary Numans!
    Last edited by WorzelG; 08-19-2015 at 05:25 AM.

  24. #7344
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    ^^^were you around in 2009?
    Although the most obsessive and weird fan base I've ever come across has to be Gary Numans!
    Nah, Morrissey's are far worse, and I'm a huge fan of both he and Gary.

    And yes I've been around for ages, why 2009?

  25. #7345
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,228
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Nah, Morrissey's are far worse, and I'm a huge fan of both he and Gary.

    And yes I've been around for ages, why 2009?
    2009 because of the whole twitter trolling business from some less stable elements of the fanbase!

    hmm, not sure about Morrissey - but maybe the perception of fanbases changes depending where you're from? Do Morrissey fans wear Mozza quiffs in the same way fans of GN try and style their hair in a kind of weave ? (styling in a quiff is at least emulating someone's real hair). To be fair I'm judging the GN fanbase from kind of the 1990s rather than recently. I think he put off a lot of people by going a bit too industrial

  26. #7346
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mostly the UK
    Posts
    483
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Why do NIN fans come across as more intelligent and more informed than most, if not all, other band fan bases?
    We're all extremely self- and image conscious, and while we secretly enjoy being different than the majority, it comes with serious hunger for approval.

  27. #7347
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    canaderp
    Posts
    1,550
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Why do NIN fans come across as more intelligent and more informed than most, if not all, other band fan bases?
    I really think TR's story of sobriety and overcoming addiction has brought a lot of people in who are inspired by that 'redemption arc'. Also, a lot of people probably regard NIN with higher esteem than some contemporaries, just because TR has gone from crazy keyboard smasher to award-winning soundtrack composer.

    And thus the fanbase avoids Tool's problem, which is all the burnouts. Both bands get their share of "bro" casual fans that fill seats, but Tool has a serious affliction in terms of the message (which is great) being diluted by the very sheepish stupidity they've railed against from the beginning.

    Cruise a Tool group on Facebook sometime. You'll see what I mean.

  28. #7348
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    All good points. Also, Trent is always ahead of the curb and all about innovation (see: Apple Music, release of The Slip, etc). It feels like a lot of the fans take after Trent in that way. We're also quite eloquent, like he is (most of us, anyway).

  29. #7349
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    2009 because of the whole twitter trolling business from some less stable elements of the fanbase!

    hmm, not sure about Morrissey - but maybe the perception of fanbases changes depending where you're from? Do Morrissey fans wear Mozza quiffs in the same way fans of GN try and style their hair in a kind of weave ? (styling in a quiff is at least emulating someone's real hair). To be fair I'm judging the GN fanbase from kind of the 1990s rather than recently. I think he put off a lot of people by going a bit too industrial
    I suppose some do. Randomly, here is Moz juggling oranges from two nights ago.


  30. #7350
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    on my way to hell
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Why do NIN fans come across as more intelligent and more informed than most, if not all, other band fan bases?
    You might not want me in your collective nin fandom IQ pool. I certainly aint one of these so called learned peoples you speak of. Book learnin’ aint for folk like myself, it’s for those whatdoyacallem……. oh yeah, achievers. Middle school education right here my peeps. How’s that for a sheepskin on the old wall?

    Am I still allowed to be a nin fan?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions