Page 185 of 521 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 183 184 185 186 187 195 235 285 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,550 of 15617

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

@Bachy - In that case, I also hope that you enjoyed the demo version.

@nemesiswontdie - And well, anything to get a fellow ETS member's YouTube videos more views, right?

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-01-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just listened to With Teeth in the car and it was awesome. Just putting it out there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    With Teeth is definitely this album I don't listen to that much, but when ALTITW starts, I can not stop myself.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    I just listened to With Teeth in the car and it was awesome. Just putting it out there.
    I really love the mindset Trent had for the album.

"The demo process was very stripped-down, consisting of a drum machine, a piano, a microphone, and a computer. From those demos, Reznor would determine what worked and what didn't. He found that the piano element in the demos provided an interesting contrast to the drums, and it would remain in many of the songs."
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 10-02-2014 at 07:03 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I really love the mindset Trent had for the album.

"The demo process was very stripped-down, consisting of a drum machine, a piano, a microphone, and a computer. From those demos, Reznor would determine what worked and what didn't. He found that the piano element in the demos provided an interesting contrast to the drums, and it would remain in many of the songs."
    I read somewhere that he ended up keeping a number of the vocal takes from the demos as well because they had a raw quality that he was missing when doing them in a proper studio.

I was crushed and dissapointed by With Teeth when it came out, probably because it was 5-6 years since the Fragile and I was expecting something really out there. Since then I have come to love the album and listen to it front to back often.... except Only. I still don't get what he was thinking with that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know why, I just heard it differently last night, if that makes sense. Always nice when that happens, like a little layer has peeled away and you hear something new.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I think I see an alien ship at the top

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just bought some new headphones, and just listened to the audiophile version of "Copy of A."

Holy shit.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I wish The Spiral was still around. Was before my time as a fan, but it seemed really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thespiralvideos Here's some videos that got saved. Really great stuff.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    he can't rap in general. his lyrics are trash. but his music is good. I always find myself wishing I could get instrumental Kanye albums.
    Um, *pushes glasses back to top of nose*, actually, he can rap.

Have you not heard his verses on Gorgeous?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Cassette's Won't Listen remix of 'Flyentology' highlights Trent's vocal contribution to the track very well.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aywok View Post
    The Cassette's Won't Listen remix of 'Flyentology' highlights Trent's vocal contribution to the track very well.
    You know, there's an instrumental version, has anyone done that elimination thing to isolate his vocals?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post

Kanye West's first album The College Dropout is one of the greatest albums I have ever heard. I was battling the depression at the time it came out in 2004, it was getting me through the bullshit. The Album is a classic as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post

Kanye makes some great records, which almost makes me hate him even more.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Oh my god i hate the Kanye love. Ive heard his albums. What is so great or unique or revolutionary about his music that we talk about him on a nine inch nails board? PLEASE FILL ME IN. I DONT GET IT!

Only thing even remotely related to him that i though was brilliant was the Rogen/Franco video.

It feels like an inside joke that everyone gets but me. I dont understand.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 10-03-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    That hurts man. Dudes rhymes are wack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    After listening to Yorke's new album I wanted to strip down some NIN albums to eight tracks, like little Thom does since The King of Limbs.
    Of course I had to cut classic songs, but I wanted to create a new flow. I thought it could bring a new light to them.

Year Zero :
    1- me, i'm not
    2- survivalism
    3- meet your master*
    4- the warning*
    5- the great destroyer
    6- another version of the truth
    7- in this twilight
    8- zero-sum

The Downward Spiral**
    1- piggy
    2- dead souls
    3- a warm place
    4- eraser
    5- reptile
    6- the downward spiral
    7- all the pigs, all lined up
    8- closer

*These two work very well together
    **Yeah I cheated, I used the deluxe edition

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    You ditch I Do Not Want This and include a cover instead ? Go to hell, heathen !

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    You ditch I Do Not Want This and include a cover instead ? Go to hell, heathen !
    Well, Dead Souls was on the original TDS release in Japan and it fits and should have been on domestic releases too

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    I have never thought of any japan release as "canon". They always get a B-side track or a remix shove in, and including Dead Souls there somewhat destroys the narrative and the purpose of a concept album to me, you see what I mean ? It's like having a trailer in the middle of a movie, or the author telling you to check out his buddie's book as well right after chapter 15... Dead Souls is a great track, but as far as including unrelated tracks, having Burn included makes a lot more sense to me than having the Joy Division cover, as great as it is. It doesn't even sound right, compared to the rest of the album... That's like putting Metal in The Fragile...

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    But what Dead Souls is about totally fits, a schism of mentality.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Never really cared for that one Dead Souls tune. Notable exception: when someone on forums said s/he uses "they keep calling me" as a ringtone. That cracked me up so bad i can't take the song seriously anymore

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    But what Dead Souls is about totally fits, a schism of mentality.
    Oh yeah, I'm not arguing that ! What I mean by "destroys the narrative" is that you get a whole album worth of monologue and inner turmoil, just to suddenly have your character quoting another band for five minutes. That doesn't work for me. Then again, I'm not making a point about the official inclusion of Dead Souls in The Downward Spiral, that's just my two cents about it

Fun fact nobody cares about : It's Dead Souls that got me into NIN. My parents worked in a library and my dad was always bringing CDs home and checking out the new releases/catalogue. I had bought The Crow soundtrack and asked him if they had My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult. Since they didn't, I asked for Nine Inch Nails, which they didn't have either (NIN was quite obscure in France before TDS), so I went to my records store and bought Broken. A few months later my dad showed me a review in his newspaper talking about The Downward Spiral.
    Last edited by Khrz; 10-04-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    That's fair, but I try to see it as part of the album, no different to Stephen King quoting bands in Dark Tower. Or maybe the protagonist just put on Still between his breakdowns :P

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I don't think dead souls fits on the end, I definitely don't think closer fits on the end, but to be honest I don't think hurt does either. It stands alone, but TDS ending with TDS works best IMHO.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Anybody ever considered TDS a bigger "mess" than TF?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i find it a little more bizarre to use a silly and overlong remix of a classic NIN song (ATPALU) instead of the original.

to keep (a lot of) the story intact:
    01. Mr. Self Destruct
    02. March of the Pigs
    03. Reptile
    04. Closer
    05. A Warm Place
    06. Eraser
    07. Hurt
    08. The Downward Spiral

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Dead Souls is a great track, but as far as including unrelated tracks, having Burn included makes a lot more sense to me than having the Joy Division cover, as great as it is. It doesn't even sound right, compared to the rest of the album... That's like putting Metal in The Fragile...
    Much as I love Dead Souls, I have to agree with you. (It helps that I also have a fondness for Burn.) NIN's covers tend to be too faithful to the originals to fit into an album musically, let alone lyrically.*

That said, I don't think Suck deserved to be relegated to the Broken bonus disc — hell, he was half covering himself.

* Not to contradict what Sheepdean said about Dead Souls fitting into TDS thematically.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    NIN's covers tend to be too faithful to the originals to fit into an album musically, let alone lyrically.*

That said, I don't think Suck deserved to be relegated to the Broken bonus disc — hell, he was half covering himself.
    I thought Zoo Station was a heavy departure, though I guess a decade between cover songs might have given him time to figure it out. And Suck/Physical were on there because they weren't part of Broken, not for being covers - they were originally meant to be on a Lolla promotional release blah blah blah.