Page 184 of 528 FirstFirst ... 84 134 174 182 183 184 185 186 194 234 284 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,520 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    This past weekend I finally watched the movie "Walk The Line". About a year ago (a bit more, maybe) I bought "Live at Folsom Prison" (first Johnny Cash album I've ever had) and was completely moved by it (I would go on record saying this is the best live album I've heard by any artist, for many reasons), and I put "Walk The Line" on the list of movies I wanted to watch, for some reason I delayed it until this past Saturday. What a superb movie. I bring this up in this particular thread because the movie made me realize that Cash was THE artist that should had covered Hurt. And, like TR said, I think Johnny Cash absolutely owns the song now, seeing what he went through. There's that line in the movie, when he is in his house in TN, and he tells June "all I do is hurt everyone around me" or something to that effect. When you hear the lyrics of Hurt, you truly believe that Cash could had penned it easily. What a guy.

If I LOVED Folsom Prison...which Johnny Cash album should I get next?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    This past weekend I finally watched the movie "Walk The Line". About a year ago (a bit more, maybe) I bought "Live at Folsom Prison" (first Johnny Cash album I've ever had) and was completely moved by it (I would go on record saying this is the best live album I've heard by any artist, for many reasons), and I put "Walk The Line" on the list of movies I wanted to watch, for some reason I delayed it until this past Saturday. What a superb movie. I bring this up in this particular thread because the movie made me realize that Cash was THE artist that should had covered Hurt. And, like TR said, I think Johnny Cash absolutely owns the song now, seeing what he went through. There's that line in the movie, when he is in his house in TN, and he tells June "all I do is hurt everyone around me" or something to that effect. When you hear the lyrics of Hurt, you truly believe that Cash could had penned it easily. What a guy.

If I LOVED Folsom Prison...which Johnny Cash album should I get next?
    This should probably go in the Cash thread, but hey: At San Quentin is the kinda obvious answer, a just as good live album at a prison. But I'd also add you should get American IV: The Man Comes Around, because that has Hurt on, along with other great covers.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Dear lord, copy of a gets so much better when you see Trent getting into it like this:

Two hour NIN set with just Trent bobbing his head and twiddling on some synth? Count me in!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Dear lord, copy of a gets so much better when you see Trent getting into it like this
    Nice video! This was one of my fav CoA performances of the tour. I didn't notice at the time how much Trent was into it here, but looking back and comparing to the other shows I was at, he seems a lot more energetic. Maybe cuz it was early in the tour?

I was down in the pit area, and the weird thing is that it was almost 1/3 (or more) empty during this song (SG fans off getting drinks, mostly likely). And dozens of ppl in first several rows were sitting throughout. Meanwhile I was in 100% rock-out mode probably looking like an insane ragdoll

Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Two hour NIN set with just Trent bobbing his head and twiddling on some synth? Count me in!
    Yes. The encore would be TGD concluded by a two hour breakdown with trippy visuals.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwing47 View Post
    Nice video! This was one of my fav CoA performances of the tour. I didn't notice at the time how much Trent was into it here, but looking back and comparing to the other shows I was at, he seems a lot more energetic. Maybe cuz it was early in the tour?
    When I saw them (Aug. 27th) towards the end of the tour, he was still super into it and twirling around and jamming out during Copy of A. Also threw the mic in the air during The Wretched when he was trying to sing "and it keeps on coming" but the mic wasn't working, got a good laugh out of that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    When I saw them (Aug. 27th) towards the end of the tour, he was still super into it and twirling around and jamming out during Copy of A. Also threw the mic in the air during The Wretched when he was trying to sing "and it keeps on coming" but the mic wasn't working, got a good laugh out of that.
    Haha, pretty awesome. I think when all is said and done, CoA will be one of my fav NIN songs.

First time I saw it was during the live stream of Lolla '13 in Chicago (first time North America saw that set). I'll quote my friend, who was watching with: "Holy God, what is happening :O"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwing47 View Post
    Haha, pretty awesome. I think when all is said and done, CoA will be one of my fav NIN songs.

First time I saw it was during the live stream of Lolla '13 in Chicago (first time North America saw that set). I'll quote my friend, who was watching with: "Holy God, what is happening :O"
    It really is an incredible way to start a show. I especially love when he does a little improv and morphs the opening synth, jamming on it for about 30 seconds like at the Lollapalooza show.

I'd say Copy of A and Somewhat Damaged are the best openers for NIN shows.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 09-24-2014 at 02:37 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The version from Fuji Rock is still the best imo. Great sound, great filming, and you can hear the crowd is really into it. And the whole show is flawless. Once, I watched it focusing on the light show. That particular stream constists almost exclusively of panoramic shots, so one can truely see how elaborate it is.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    These past few posts got me listening to all the festival streams. I was listening to this one and LOLed at work when Trent gets pissed and incorporates some new lyrics into Only (around 1 hr, 23 min, 13 sec).

Also, at the end of the song: "Wake the fuck up!" Ha, I can't tell if he's getting mad at tech difficulty or just yelling at the crowd.

/watch?v=SnEx4RmVhI8&t=1h23m13s

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The best version of Copy of A is this

because Trent's really into it and it has awesome new synths.

edit: plus I think it has the best mix of the two versions before it (tension and festival).
    Last edited by dominik; 09-24-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    The best version of Copy of A is this

because Trent's really into it and it has awesome new synths.

edit: plus I think it has the best mix of the two versions before it (tension and festival).
    Audio sounds really good on that video, going to have to check out the other videos later.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkė View Post
    The version from Fuji Rock is still the best imo. Great sound, great filming, and you can hear the crowd is really into it. And the whole show is flawless. Once, I watched it focusing on the light show. That particular stream constists almost exclusively of panoramic shots, so one can truely see how elaborate it is.
    Agreed, although it'd be even better with the live drums a la Tension. But the filming really sells the Fuji version. You have to really think of the context that this was the first time NIN was back, and they really did a good job showcasing the individuals being added to the stage like a welcoming, then there was like an "Avengers Assemble" moment right before the first breakdown, and they pulled back so you can see the lights kick in when the song hits full stride. It just said "NINE INCH NAILS IS BACK." Brilliance.
    Last edited by MrSlfDstruct; 09-26-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ever since Ilan plays guitar in Copy of A, it's so low in the mix it's barely audible. what happened?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    Just listened to The Slip straight thru for the 1st time in like forever thanks to you clowns ^

-thanks
    Thank goodness I've found this post. I know that feeling all too well as I've agreed to not do or experience certain things just because of what other people had said. All I just learned was that it could lead me to kick myself in the future for not allowing myself to possibly enjoy something that others might not like. This will really sound stupid, and in a way, it is, but that's what made me miss out on Tool and Radiohead when I was in high school. I didn't hate them, but I jumped on the bandwagon a lot when I was younger. It even prevented from being a fan of the Insane Clown Posse before actually giving their albums a chance at some point in my life as unbelievable as that would seem. (Which is also unbelievable in the other way as well, since most people in fact, do hate them, but if you've seen my history of openly being a fan of them on ETS, you'd understand.)

It also made me miss Marilyn Manson live. At this point, I'll check out whatever he's up to these days. I'm just thankful that he's still around and that I'm actually able to like a decent chunk of his post-The Golden Age of Grotesque output.

And when it came to video games, I almost tried to convert to just being a Sony PlayStation gamer.

(I'm not saying that's exactly what you're doing, but I could see how the majority's opinions can sometimes either make or break your potential enjoyment of just about anything in life.)

Fuck the bandwagon. It's not worth it. And yes, The Slip definitely gave me my fill of Nine Inch Nails at the time. I also love 1,000,000 and Echoplex live.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-27-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    It's one of those albums I often forget about or neglect, then sporadically come back to and find myself thinking "Wow, this is a whole lot better than I remember it being, why don't I listen to this more?"
    To my surprise, that actually happened to me with With Teeth and Ghosts I-IV. I used to listen to Year Zero a lot more, but now I end up listening to With Teeth the most out of all them, and have still caught myself listening to Ghosts I-IV more than The Slip. I'm still glad to know this feeling as well.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I think The Slip would have a far better fan reception if it hadn't been free, people seem to always go back to it being free as a sign of disrespect, despite it being a great little album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I think The Slip would have a far better fan reception if it hadn't been free, people seem to always go back to it being free as a sign of disrespect, despite it being a great little album.
    Agree 100%.

Love it, hate it, or leave it, The Slip ended up primarily being a "practice project" in digital distribution. Not just distribution but in recording as well. How long does it take to record an album in this computer-age and get it out to the masses (effectively)? How does free distribution of an album digitally (in copious formats) effect physical distribution/sales?

I guess a good lesson learned from The Slip is, even in the digital age, cost will still affect one's emotional perception of art.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    While I'm Still Here and Black Noise are quite the tearjerker for me when they really hit and move me live. It's like anger and hate combined with feelings of loss, fear, depression and despair. (Which also includes my bouts with self-loathing and suicidal ideation.) The more aggressive emotions come out of me for the Black Noise part. It just feels good, because I can relate to it so well as I have to fight those demons over and over again, and it's among those Nine Inch Nails songs that really hit home for me, while also being happy to see how Trent overcame his obstacles, and continues to do so. I could see why some people chose that over Hurt as the show closer. This is all emotions running on all cylinders for me right now, and why I keep coming back to NIN for more and more. I don't even know how to express my emotions sometimes and I normally bottle them up inside in real life, and NIN is one of those things that helps me solve my emotional problems.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-27-2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Sorry about that. I guess I sometimes get more emotional than usual whenever I listen to certain Nine Inch Nails songs.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Good point. Doesn't auger well for U2's Songs of Innocence … which is probably a lesser album than The Slip anyway, even before you get into all the ridiculous drama surrounding it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This is probably the best video of All The Love in The World. Especially the beginning, Wyatt Family anyone?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^Ilan is a joy to watch in that video, I love the percussion on that song

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    ^^^Ilan is a joy to watch in that video, I love the percussion on that song
    It's not very often you get to see the band playing instruments closely due to the other stuff going on, and I think that's one of the things that makes the Austin City Limits performance so great. You get closeups of the band, giving you a greater look into the effort of the music and it's awesome. As Trent once put it, theres lots of tricks going on and it's super cool.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 09-29-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm surprised more artists don't attempt to sample NIN, especially in the Hip Hop genre...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    God damn, the Tension tour was fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I'm surprised more artists don't attempt to sample NIN, especially in the Hip Hop genre...
    Agree. After seeing Kanye do his poor attempt to rap over Closer, I think sampled NIN would sound very good in hip hop songs. (I secretly wish for a rap cover of Where is Everybody?)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    NIN has a ton of potential sample material, especially on Year Zero. Also 7 Ghosts and 29 Ghosts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Agree. After seeing Kanye do his poor attempt to rap over Closer, I think sampled NIN would sound very good in hip hop songs. (I secretly wish for a rap cover of Where is Everybody?)
    More so after hearing his last album.. the music was really good and it had a NIN-ish vibe to it.. the poor attempt to rap over Closer, was that the morning show freestyle? that was terrible... I guess he can't freestyle..

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    More so after hearing his last album.. the music was really good and it had a NIN-ish vibe to it.. the poor attempt to rap over Closer, was that the morning show freestyle? that was terrible... I guess he can't freestyle..
    he can't rap in general. his lyrics are trash. but his music is good. I always find myself wishing I could get instrumental Kanye albums.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ghosts I track 09 makes me feel funny.....

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    "Ruiner" is so damn good, probably more so than we'll ever know.