Page 135 of 528 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 133 134 135 136 137 145 185 235 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,050 of 15824

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I just dont understand why a guy who is obviously smart wouldnt try to reach a higher hanging fruit THAT he totally can reach judging from the way he speaks outside of his songs. Is that not a justified random nin thought?
    Why should he reach for "higher hanging fruit"? Why should his artistic decisions be made based on his intellectual capacity?

(Agree with your first point.)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I synced up Right Where It Belongs V2 with the album version and the results were pretty interesting. It's like Trent having a duet with himself, and when it gets to the line "And if you look at your reflection, is that all you want it to be?", it's kind of eerie.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I synced up Right Where It Belongs V2 with the album version and the results were pretty interesting. It's like Trent having a duet with himself, and when it gets to the line "And if you look at your reflection, is that all you want it to be?", it's kind of eerie.
    I did this years ago and not just with studio versions, but with BYIT version as well. Sounds really cool.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I love Josh's rings he wore for Austin City Limits. See Sanctified 2.35 mark.
    For anyone interested in the rings he wore, you can find them here. (Yes, I did tweet Josh about it and he was kind enough to reply back).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    For anyone interested in the rings he wore, you can find them here. (Yes, I did tweet Josh about it and he was kind enough to reply back).
    I usually have, like, no interest in jewelry, but those are really cool!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    unghhhh i love stuff like that. my friend maggie is a metalsmith and she makes some really cool stuff.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Well, yeah. If you were sitting in some war-torn African country surrounded by starving children and complained your day was "horrific" because you could only find non-organic vegetable produce, I'd say you have a talent for exaggeration.

None of the points you mention make Trent a "horrific" songwriter, you wouldn't even have noticed them if there wasn't such a vast catalogue for repetition to be inevitable.
    OK I admit "horrific" was not the right word to use there.

You can't deny that the lyrics have been regressing ever since the Fragile. I also understand that this guy isnt known for his word play. I got into NIN when I was an adolescent and at that time those lyrics spoke to me and still speak to me... maybe my tasted have evolved and I foolishly wish his did too.

The only thing I can really compare my original comment to is when I see actors whose work I dont particularly enjoy doing an interview and their "actual" personality and mannerisms are hell of a lot better than anything they do in the movies.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    there was a lot of talk about “A warm place” being “Crystal Japan” ripoff.
    but what about “Warszawa” for that matter? almost feel like part one/part two to each other

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    You can't deny that the lyrics have been regressing ever since the Fragile.
    People have been denying that, so this statement is false.

Funny how Trent's lyrics are "regressing" while your tastes are "evolving." I mean, can't you at least be open to a more objective view of the situation?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    People have been denying that, so this statement is false.

Funny how Trent's lyrics are "regressing" while your tastes are "evolving." I mean, can't you at least be open to a more objective view of the situation?
    I think that I am being very open and objective to the situation. Ive been a fan for years and many times had to defend nine inch nails' music against my more vanilla peers. Should I have said "maturing" instead of "evolving"?

Is it possible that his older stuff seems to mean more because the first heard it at a time I was young and had a very adversarial view of the world? Maybe. Personally I don't think that's the case because I find new meaning in those dusty jams as I listen to them over the years. I just feel that the newer material's lyrical content recycles old ideas and is vague at best at what it thinks it's about. That is what I mean by "regression". Dude said it himself, copy of a copy.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    You can't deny that the lyrics have been regressing ever since the Fragile. I also understand that this guy isnt known for his word play. I got into NIN when I was an adolescent and at that time those lyrics spoke to me and still speak to me... maybe my tasted have evolved and I foolishly wish his did too.

"and when I suck you off not a drop will go to waste
    it's really not so bad you know once you get past the taste, yeah"
    vs

"I have made a great mistake
    Pray The Lord my soul to take
    Ghosts of who we used to be
    I can feel them come for me"
    Last edited by screwdriver; 04-11-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Can we just accept that the dude's lyrics range, just like almost every other musician ever? Some of the things he's written are beautiful and amazing, some are sub-par (and in some opinions embarrassing). Nevertheless as a songwriter he wins out almost every time, and honestly that's almost certainly the biggest reason the majority of NIN fans love NIN in the first place.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Can we just accept that the dude's lyrics range, just like almost every other musician ever? Some of the things he's written are beautiful and amazing, some are sub-par (and in some opinions embarrassing). Nevertheless as a songwriter he wins out almost every time, and honestly that's almost certainly the biggest reason the majority of NIN fans love NIN in the first place.

I agree.
    Trents lyrics for YEARS have flip flop flip flop flipped.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Trent has probably read over the last few posts in this thread, and is now slipping on the tears you've all made him cry.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Trent's been recycling ideas since Pretty Hate Machine. With the exception of Year Zero and Ghosts I-IV, his music has always been introspective and typically dealing with the same things. He may be repetitive, but he still sounds sincere, and that's what matters to me in the end.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Is it just me, or has this thread turned into Controversial NIN Opinions?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    because Controversial NIN Opinions turned into contest of puns

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    because Controversial NIN Opinions turned into contest of puns
    it was a downward spiral

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I fucking love 'A Warm Place'. I'm so happy I heard it live at the first Sydney show.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    it was a downward spiral
    The thread that you know, it used to have substance.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So i saw LITS and it was so fucking awesome, and i REALLY wanted to see tension.
    This is the first time i can remember trent not bringing the show to dallas, and he usually brings it to D town TWICE.
    And now this 4 piece thing with soundgarden...sigh.

Do you guys think there might be another leg of tension in the fall?

I want to see it, damnit!
    Dallas would be great...Tulsa would be even better...that BOK Center, @Alrea can attest to this...there aint a bad seat in that motherfucker.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I doubt that there will be anything Tension-like. I'm kinda hoping that he takes a break after the summer... so he doesn't get burned out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, he said in one if his recent interviews (Vive Latino?) that the Tension DVD/Blu-ray release is basically to show that leg or era for people who didn't get to see it. He was mainly referring to other parts of the world but I think he's also saying it ain't happening no mo.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Trent has said on multiple occasions that each leg of touring this time around is going to be different in terms of production and setlists, so I think it's highly unlikely the Tension setup will be making a return.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So i saw LITS and it was so fucking awesome, and i REALLY wanted to see tension.
    This is the first time i can remember trent not bringing the show to dallas, and he usually brings it to D town TWICE.
    And now this 4 piece thing with soundgarden...sigh.

Do you guys think there might be another leg of tension in the fall?

I want to see it, damnit!
    Dallas would be great...Tulsa would be even better...that BOK Center, @Alrea can attest to this...there aint a bad seat in that motherfucker.
    4 piece thing with Soundgarden? He hasn't even announced what the European leg of the tour will consist of let alone the one after that so I think it's a bit early to make that claim.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    4 piece thing with Soundgarden? He hasn't even announced what the European leg of the tour will consist of let alone the one after that so I think it's a bit early to make that claim.
    I don't know, dude. It is under my impression that T-Rez will continue with Ilan, Ally & Robin for the remainder of all NIN's tour dates. I feel that there will not be a Tension v2.0 nor a change in the lineup.

Saul Williams should guest vocal on every live version of Survivalism.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I'm watching BYIT right now. Seeing Aaron is making me sad. I hope that he gets well.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I'm watching BYIT right now. Seeing Aaron is making me sad. I hope that he gets well.
    I always think that too these days. He was amazing to watch when I saw him with NIN

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I don't know, dude. It is under my impression that T-Rez will continue with Ilan, Ally & Robin for the remainder of all NIN's tour dates. I feel that there will not be a Tension v2.0 nor a change in the lineup.

Saul Williams should guest vocal on every live version of Survivalism.
    Were definitely not getting tension 2.0. Won't argue that. I don't think we're ever getting anything 2.0 since he seems to be all about moving forward. But I'd also be surprised if he doesn't change things up in different ways. I don't expect the four piece NIN to remain. Or at least not in the same way.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    On the next tour, Trent will play drums and Ilan will sing lead vocals. Sean Beavan will also rejoin to sing backing vocals from behind the stage.