Page 133 of 528 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 183 233 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 15835

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    So excited to watch a pro-shot, HD performance of the Tension version of The Frail/The Wretched this weekend. The sound mix better put Lisa's amazing scream for the chorus front and center.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINisamazing View Post
    This might be short sighted. But Trent was talking about in the austin city limits interview (cut to loud breathing noises of the interviewer), how he is bored with the aggressive style of nin. Yet, he is doing it now, and he is probably going to do it with the soundgarden tour. Am I the only one who wants Trent to explore/experiment NIN more live?

anyway....

Also, Trent mentioned he has a long way to go as a song writer and really wants to get better at evoking emotion.

Dude, i have cried several times while listening to your music. I think you got the whole evoking emotion thing down pretty good.
    The mix up of styles on different tour legs was because of boredom. He was probably bored of the aggressive style of NIN at the time. Doesn't mean he is now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This might be short sighted. But Trent was talking about in the austin city limits interview (cut to loud breathing noises of the interviewer), how he is bored with the aggressive style of nin. Yet, he is doing it now, and he is probably going to do it with the soundgarden tour. Am I the only one who wants Trent to explore/experiment NIN more live?
    I might have missed the part you're talking about specifically, but I thought it was not just about being bored with that style of NIN, but wanting to challenge himself and the band by pushing it in a different direction. It could be that in these past legs he's pushing himself (and the band) in a way that's more subtle. Maybe the interaction between the band members is different or something like that. (Like, maybe he asked the rest of the band what they wanted to do on this leg. )

But, to answer your question, no, I'm definitely interested in seeing more experimentation from NIN live. If you think about it, aggressive NIN was at some point an experiment, definitely not an obvious evolution from PHM. But that was a while ago . . .

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

"This is a song about masturbation"
    -Trent Reznor, 1988

Come on Trent, I think the song is a little deeper than that :P
    Last edited by GlitchyFlame; 04-03-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post

-Trent Reznor, 1988

"Working my hands until they bleed"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    "Working my hands until they bleed"
    That one line in particular may be referring to masturbating, but the song itself seems to be more than Trent singing about jerking off.
    Last edited by GlitchyFlame; 04-04-2014 at 12:05 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I loved back in the day when he'd get pissed at the crowd and introduce every song as "this song is about fucking."

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    What is your preference: La Mer lp version with keys, or AATCHB version with Robin plucking the key parts on guitar thingy?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    -Trent Reznor, 1988

Ok, fine, it's about masturbation because the one you love is covered in orange dye and so she won't sex you up. Deep enough?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Ok, fine, it's about masturbation because the one you love is covered in orange dye and so she won't sex you up. Deep enough?
    I shouldn't have been drinking Coffee when I read that...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    What is your preference: La Mer lp version with keys, or AATCHB version with Robin plucking the key parts on guitar thingy?
    i think AATCHB will always win for me — it sounds much fuller because of the bass synth, and Robin's plucking + e-bow guitar later are much more satisfying, imo, than the studio cut.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    i think AATCHB will always win for me — it sounds much fuller because of the bass synth, and Robin's plucking + e-bow guitar later are much more satisfying, imo, than the studio cut.
    Same. The piano itself sounds better/fuller too, and I like the very end of Robin's part in the song where he releases and it almost sounds like a whale (or dolphin?) siren.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So I've become addicted to RITC recordings lately and I've decided that Japan undoubtedly gets overall the best-quality NIN shows and that Performance 2007 has one of the best sounds of any NIN incarnation as far as I'm concerned. I really don't have a favorite tour/lineup but this is definitely up there for me.

But honestly, I find the shows from Japan so great that I'd genuinely consider travelling just to see NIN there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

anyway....
    Reznor's not Nina Simone nor someone who is going to radicalize their catalog nightly-
    what'd be cool for NIN to do is: instead of having one sex song per masochistic, instrospective LP, have fewer cathartic tracks amongst a sex-jam LP.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    The more I listen to While I'm Still Here/Black Noise, the more I love Hesitation Marks. I know it's the new album and we were all excited for new NIN, but for the new albums I have been around for (WT onward), none of them has struck me as much as this one. I thought the albums ranged from Ok to pretty good but I love Hesitation Marks like I do TDS or TF. Only song I don't really care for is Came Back Haunted, it just seems like The Hand that Feeds pt2.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

I would agree except the hand that feeds is awesome and CBH is just .... not awesome.

I love HM too except for CBH. I've listened to it a ton since the album came out and I just can't deal with CBH. It's like he purposely wrote a nin cliche song. It just doesn't seem genuine to me and I don't think I've ever said that about any nin song before.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I would agree except the hand that feeds is awesome and CBH is just .... not awesome.

I love HM too except for CBH. I've listened to it a ton since the album came out and I just can't deal with CBH. It's like he purposely wrote a nin cliche song. It just doesn't seem genuine to me and I don't think I've ever said that about any nin song before.
    agreed, i guess, but the live version is a much better interpretation, i think... it's got a cool intro that the arrangement desperately needed. the only problem left, imo, is that the song just refuses to end; at this point i'd take the NIN-cliché-sudden-ending-out-of-nowhere after the last chorus than the unnecessary-NIN-cliché "just can't stop"-stop after the usual buildup (a la THTF, LY, GG, etc.).

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I actually really like CBH. It worked for what it was: yes, it has tons of the usual for NIN, and the whole idea was that it was "the comeback single" that let us all know that NIN is still here and still sounds like NIN. I know a lot of casual fans or people who never listen to NIN who ended up getting HM because of it, it fits well on HM as far as I'm concerned (I mean if we're going to complain that it's a re-tread thematically, well then all of HM kinda is). The video is a whole other story that I won't get into, but as far as the song itself is concerned I think it's perfectly fine as a catchy, louder NIN song that doesn't try to be anything it's not. It's not my favorite HM track by any means, but it's certainly far from my least favorite. Within context of the album I think to try and say that it isn't genuine is to try and say none of HM is genuine; the whole thing deals with similar themes and subjects.

Oh, and Trent repeats phrases at the ends of songs all the goddamn time, even Copy of a ends after a ton of repeating the chorus.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I actually really like CBH. It worked for what it was: yes, it has tons of the usual for NIN, and the whole idea was that it was "the comeback single" that let us all know that NIN is still here and still sounds like NIN. I know a lot of casual fans or people who never listen to NIN who ended up getting HM because of it, it fits well on HM as far as I'm concerned (I mean if we're going to complain that it's a re-tread thematically, well then all of HM kinda is). The video is a whole other story that I won't get into, but as far as the song itself is concerned I think it's perfectly fine as a catchy, louder NIN song that doesn't try to be anything it's not. It's not my favorite HM track by any means, but it's certainly far from my least favorite. Within context of the album I think to try and say that it isn't genuine is to try and say none of HM is genuine; the whole thing deals with similar themes and subjects.

Oh, and Trent repeats phrases at the ends of songs all the goddamn time, even Copy of a ends after a ton of repeating the chorus.
    I .... really, really like CBH
    unapologetically
    it's got a nice condensation of everything I like about NIN

THTF, on the other hand... the recording does nothing for me and the live version even less. it's all surface level and it's a fine pop song, but I like weird noises, of which there are precious few in THTF

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Haha^^^ to each his own, I guess.

Perhaps genuine is the wrong term. CBH just feels like it was written to be a single while every other song on HM seems inspired.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Haha^^^ to each his own, I guess.

Perhaps genuine is the wrong term. CBH just feels like it was written to be a single while every other song on HM seems inspired.
    This
    I agree with the other people here who think Satellite would have been a better single.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I love Josh's rings he wore for Austin City Limits. See Sanctified 2.35 mark.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I love all of the ACL performance. So fucking good.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I figure they stayed away from saying much about the Tension DVD because of ACL and not wanting to take attention away from that. Now that it's been said and done I'm guessing we'll get something about the Tension disc within the next month (especially now that they're on a small break from touring again).

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    NIN = so many feels.

http://www.ninwiki.com/Recurring_lyrics#Feel

Feel

• Suck: "how does it feel"
    • Gave Up: "forgot how it feels, well almost"
    • Fist Fuck: "oh you just wish I could feel that way too"
    • I Do Not Want This: "to those who know what it really feels like" / "don't you tell me how I feel, you don't know just how I feel"
    • Last: "still feel it all slipping away"
    • Memorabilia: "I know what it feels like"
    • The Big Come Down: "it feels like it keeps coming from the inside"
    • The Way Out Is Through: "we feel so small"
    • The Wretched / The Great Collapse: "now you know this is what it feels like"
    • The Hand That Feeds: "and you feel just fine"
    • Every Day Is Exactly The Same: "I can feel their eyes are watching"
    • Only: "and I had this funny feeling"
    • Getting Smaller: "don’t know what to feel"
    • Sunspots: "I feel it coming" / "I have to apologize for the way I feel"
    • Beside You In Time: "feel the little pieces bleeding through" / "I can feel me start to fade away"
    • Right Where It Belongs: "feel the hollowness inside of your heart"
    • Home: "and it feels I’m getting to the end"
    • Me, I’m Not: "I feel it coming apart"
    • In This Twilight: "and it feels like, like it was a friend" / "do you wonder if it feels the same?" / "what it feels like, and I won't feel again" / "and the longing that you feel"
    • Discipline: "feels like I’m wearing down"
    • Hurt: "the feelings disappear"
    • Kinda I Want To: "I can't shake this feeling from my head"
    • 1,000,000: "I feel a million miles away"
    • Demon Seed: "And I can feel it breathe"
    • Echoplex: "you feel me breathe, I am watching you"
    • The Great Below: "I can still feel you, even so far away"
    • My Violent Heart: "feel it coming now"
    • Underneath It All: "I can still feel you"

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I guess Trent was....hooked on a FEELing! hahahhaha!!

(Oh I am so so sorry...I just came back from Winter Soldier...)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    @sweeterthan - Got your package today - totally forgot about those, thank you very much! And yes, I'm still using an iPhone. I put on the one in the second pic and it looks purdy.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I am SO UPSET with casemate, because I just updated to an iPhone 5 (fiance broke his phone, so I gave him my 4) and I CAN'T GET MY NIN CASE

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    @sweeterthan - Got your package today - totally forgot about those, thank you very much! And yes, I'm still using an iPhone. I put on the one in the second pic and it looks purdy.

Yay! So glad you got them. It does look pretty.

I still owe another ETSer a package with cases but I've misplaced them somewhere. I hope they turn up soon!

Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I am SO UPSET with casemate, because I just updated to an iPhone 5 (fiance broke his phone, so I gave him my 4) and I CAN'T GET MY NIN CASE
    I totally feel you on this. I almost didn't want to upgrade my phone because of my case collection. I contracted for Casemate for a few years and acquired a ton of cases while there. I had so many nin ones. I was heart broken I couldn't use them anymore on my 5.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I still use my iPhone 4 with NIN Casemate cases. Even if I upgrade to a new phone, I will still keep the iPhone 4 to use as an MP3 player.

I have some iPhone 4 NIN Casemate cases that haven't been used. If anyone is interested in purchasing one for a decent price, please send me a PM.