Page 101 of 528 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 201 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 15827

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    Holy fuck that is perfect. I never know how to argue when someone like listens to a few songs of them and is like "meh I don't get it". Yeah b/c you've spent 2 minutes with it..

I wish people weren't so impatient when it comes to music. Thankfully my dad raised me with the habit of treating music as something you need to get to know. I know for certain that my first impression is not to be trusted. I've discovered and loved so much great music that way. People are looking to be grabbed instantly instead of slowly seduced when it comes to music, and it just sucks because they really limit their possible taste horizons that way.
    I'm seriously starting to wonder if that's why I shouldn't have subjected some pop fans to Nine Inch Nails. Even though they don't end up hating it, it just didn't seem to instantly click to them. And of course, not all pop fans are like this, but I have meet some of them that really are that way.

I seriously thought that pop fans would've immediately eaten up songs like Head Like A Hole, Down In It, Closer, Into The Void, and Only. I really wonder what NIN's missing, because I can't find it, unless it goes back to them expecting to get it in 2 minutes or less.

And when I say pop, I'm talking about the Madonna, Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, NKOTB, Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, and Justin Timberlake crowds... so does this mean I that I shouldn't get my hopes up for some of them also liking Capital G, Echoplex, Copy Of A, All Time Low, Disappointed, or Satellite?

(Oh, and I obviously didn't mean to entirely limit pop music to just them, but I just did it as an attempt to give you a clear picture of what I mean. And heck, NIN makes very good pop too. )
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-15-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I'm seriously starting to wonder if that's why I shouldn't have subjected some pop fans to Nine Inch Nails. Even though they don't end up hating it, it just didn't seem to instantly click to them. And of course, not all pop fans are like this, but I have meet some of them that really are that way.

I seriously thought that pop fans would've immediately eaten up songs like Head Like A Hole, Down In It, Closer, Into The Void, and Only. I really wonder what NIN's missing, because I can't find it, unless it goes back to them expecting to get it in 2 minutes or less.
    pop songs may be designed to be instantly gratifying*, but that doesn't mean that pop fans are necessarily less willing to spend time to appreciate music. (and just because NN music takes some time/concentration to understand, doesn't mean NIN fans will necessarily give new music a lot of time/concentration (source: ETS ).) my point is that you shouldn't expect to change the way you present music to have it appeal to a different group. you should change the audience's expectation to suit the music.

* i'm not sure how true this is. there are definitely some "pop" albums that have taken me several listens to like. (off the top of my head: Back to Basics by Christina Aguilera.)

EDIT: LOL. you (also) keep editing your post. i think the problem is that the "pop" label isn't that great in the first place. but, anyway, i think it's important to remember that there aren't really fans of certain genres. there are fans of certain music in certain genres.
    Last edited by m15a; 11-15-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I think you are. It's one of my favorite live renditions.
    Maybe it's just the arena acoustics, but the chorus of Survivalism has been pretty unintelligible at the two shows I've seen.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I don't think you can ever predict how people will react to music that doesn't line up with the stuff they already like (or hate). There's a lot of distance between Pop-pop and NIN-pop.

How much pop would a NIN-pop pop if a NIN-pop could pop pop?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Maybe it's just the arena acoustics, but the chorus of Survivalism has been pretty unintelligible at the two shows I've seen.
    Ok, so maybe I am.

I think it would be interesting to hear a Death Grips remix of NIN. Maybe the Great Destroyer or Satellite.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I think it would be interesting to hear a Death Grips remix of NIN. Maybe the Great Destroyer or Satellite.
    So now I have to check out Death Grips too. This place will keep me in new music for months at this rate.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    EDIT: LOL. you (also) keep editing your post. i think the problem is that the "pop" label isn't that great in the first place. but, anyway, i think it's important to remember that there aren't really fans of certain genres. there are fans of certain music in certain genres.
    Yeah, sorry about that. I ended up wondering if I leave stuff out, or sometimes have a regular habit of saying things before completely saying them. I guess it's just part of me having lots of fun discussing NIN, but I should take the time to slow it down, tone it down, and think it through before even thinking about posting.

I certainly appreciate your reply as well. And oh yes, I was aware of that too.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

And when I say pop, I'm talking about the Madonna, Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, NKOTB, Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, and Justin Timberlake crowds... so does this mean I that I shouldn't get my hopes up for some of them also liking Capital G, Echoplex, Copy Of A, All Time Low, Disappointed, or Satellite?

(Oh, and I obviously didn't mean to entirely limit pop music to just them, but I just did it as an attempt to give you a clear picture of what I mean. And heck, NIN makes very good pop too. )
    My friends who are fans of pop music do seem to take an immediate liking to The Hand That Feeds, All Time Low, Satellite, Capital G, The Beginning of the End, Closer (obviously) and The Fragile (the song)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I know I'm not helping by perpetuating the constant mentions of Marilyn Manson in other parts of ETS that aren't the Marilyn Manson thread, but it really is hard for me to watch this and even think that I'm over it. I really miss these days, and actually hope that there would be a time when they can be cool again in this lifetime. I also loved the way Trent screams, "Hate!" in The Beautiful People. And yes, I know, it's obviously nostalgia and wishful thinking speaking.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Ain't happening. Manson is a mess. And didn't you read Manson's BOOK? I doubt that Reznor will ever get over that kind of betrayal. The 90s are very over.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    28 Famous People Who You Might Not Know Were Band Geeks

Not mentioned: Trent Reznor. Booooooooo, buzzfeed. Boo.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Friend is going to the Portland show, a bit jealous! Oh well.

NIN has the best music ever made and will ever be made!!!!!! *NIN*!!!!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Ain't happening. Manson is a mess. And didn't you read Manson's BOOK? I doubt that Reznor will ever get over that kind of betrayal. The 90s are very over.
    I didn't read it... what happened?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Holy fuck me, I don't know where to post this...my friend is kimmels assistant, and I couldve gone to see them but I'm in Chicago and just took a bunch of time off work. Anyways, today in the mail I just got the placard from their dressing room door, signed by TR. How do I post a pic????

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I still have yet to actually get it, and yes, it's exactly why I said it was just nostalgia and wishful thinking speaking.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-16-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    28 Famous People Who You Might Not Know Were Band Geeks

Not mentioned: Trent Reznor. Booooooooo, buzzfeed. Boo.
    That sometimes seems to happen a lot. I also couldn't help but notice that too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You know what would be a great song to hear reworked with NIN's current backup singers/Pallandino-augmented lineup? Another Version Of The Truth.

Think about it: Pino laying down a bed of that bassline as Alessandro piles on layers of synth and the backup singers improvise over it... it would be glorious, I tell you. Glorious.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I didn't read it... what happened?
    Way too much betrayal of confidence to post in a thread.

I still have yet to actually get it, and yes, it's exactly why I said it was just nostalgia and wishful thinking speaking.
    Read it and any nostalgia and wishful thinking is replaced by a feeling of ew.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-16-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Out of all things I've gotten Marilyn Manson, I never got The Long Hard Road Out of Hell. I also owe it to myself as somebody that was really obsessed with him in high school to actually get it. Thanks for reminding me though, because I sometimes forget that he even wrote such a book.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Holy fuck me, I don't know where to post this...my friend is kimmels assistant, and I couldve gone to see them but I'm in Chicago and just took a bunch of time off work. Anyways, today in the mail I just got the placard from their dressing room door, signed by TR. How do I post a pic????
    A lot of people here just upload it to flickr or another photo sharing site and then post the link here.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Out of all things I've gotten Marilyn Manson, I never got The Long Hard Road Out of Hell. I also owe it to myself as somebody that was really obsessed with him in high school to actually get it. Thanks for reminding me though, because I sometimes forget that he even wrote such a book.
    It's one of the funniest books I've ever read. It wouldn't exist without Strauss. And it's a good example of the literary term "unreliable narrator."

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Listening to Lisa wail on Even Deeper gives me the chills every single damn time. It's one of the best songs on the set.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I made up a NIN playlist, and Closer transitions fucking beautifully into All Time Low. I just had to get that out there.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I hope the Tension line up is the same for the tour in Australia. That would be ace.
    Also the whole video call to Andrew Youssef and the song TR chose to dedicate, In This Twilight, being one Andrew is really drawn to atm is pretty cool.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Seeing the video someone took of ITT with the FaceTime call reminded me just how much I love how Trent does that song live. Like, it's a great song on record, but (like most NIN songs) it takes on a completely different life in a live setting, even without the Zero-Sum piano outro. I listen to the Vegas 2008 performance of it (from TOIOU's Another Version of the Truth) all the time and it never ceases to move me, especially with the connotations the Vegas performance had attached to it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm glad we have a video of that. It was such an awesome thing for him to do.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    A lot of people here just upload it to flickr or another photo sharing site and then post the link here.
    Dude i am not an internet saavy person...dont even know how to do that. The pic is on my cell. If i log onto my acct from there, can i attach it somehow? Let me check this flickr out...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Got it-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/109078103@N04/
    This is the dressing room sign, its clear see thru, against the cardboard it was shipped in. Totally unreal. Only one in existence. My most prized possesion.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Got it-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/109078103@N04/
    This is the dressing room sign, its clear see thru, against the cardboard it was shipped in. Totally unreal. Only one in existence. My most prized possesion.
    As seen on Trent's Instagram @ http://instagram.com/p/gcBOCNTPc3