Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

I have been waiting for this film to come out since Sin City came out all those years ago. I almost felt it was never going to happen, but here we are! With a great cast (JGL for the win!) and a very intriguing continuation from the first, this should be something to really look forward to. Here is the cast as of now:

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I didn't really like Sin City, but something about it made me rewatch it from time to time. Clive Owen is just perfect in it and the whole thing is a thrill to look at.

But it's pretty tragic that two of the former actors passed away too early.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I know Michael Clark Duncan did, which was the other one?
    Also, that's some damn fine casting. I always enjoy Josh Brolin, JGL and Christopher Meloni!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Brittany Murphy.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Oooh yeah, totally forgot about her...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Oooh yeah, totally forgot about her...
    Pretty sure everyone did. I can't see how her not being in the movie is anything but an improvement

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I absolutely loved the first Sin City, the neo-noir style, the dames, the hard boiled, the inner monologues and commentary/narration, the soundtrack. I just love being soaked up in that stuff, I'm like a sponge when it comes to movies like this especially that harken back to the good ol film noir of the 40s and 50s.

Bruce Willis, Clive Owen and Mickey Rourke were all brilliant in their respective roles, Rosario Dawson as Gail, Jaime King as Wendy/Goldie and Jessica Alba as Nancy was always some welcomed eye candy even though Jessica played it pretty safe like she usually does.

At least they tried to get most of the actors back for the sequel, it's a shame Brittany and Michael died.... it also looks like the one that played Miho passed on the role.

We'll have to see if they can retain what made the first one so good. I think it will be hard to replicate some things again, I'll be surprised if they can get Mickey Rourke made up right for Marv again.

Either way I'm stoked as hell!

- My warrior woman. My Valkyrie. You'll always be mine. Always... and never.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 01-16-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I really hope this film is a redeemer for Frank Miller. The Spirit was without a doubt, one of the worst films I had ever seen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Remember Sin City seemed like a real breathe of fresh air when it was released during what was a real bad period for mainstream cinema. I think it raised the bar somewhat.

Looking back its really was quite a nasty violent piece of work but the stories were great. And i thought Britney Murphy suited the role perfectly as ,it was probably not far from her personality or situation in real life!

Jessica Alba was seriously sexy jailbait, but Clive Owen stood out for me as the best role.

Be interesting to see if this one works given so much time has passed. Weird how its taken so long to come about was supposed to be out in 2006 if i recall.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I really wish there was more of Elijah Woods character... He was bad ass.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I really hope this film is a redeemer for Frank Miller. The Spirit was without a doubt, one of the worst films I had ever seen.
    Just as long as he doesn't direct it we should be fine...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Eva Green is one of my favorite actresses. This is awesome news!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/..._medium=social

EDIT: I just remembered Josh Brolin is in this. I will love this movie.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Eva Green is one of my favorite actresses. This is awesome news!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/..._medium=social

EDIT: I just remembered Josh Brolin is in this. I will love this movie.
    That's going to be awesome. I love Eva Green.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    His The Spirit was awful, but besides that he's been spending the past two decades becoming one of the most abhorrent figures in comics. It's going to take more than a sequel to the braindead adaptation of his trash series to pull his name out of the murk.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    its about time that Mickey Rourke gets put into a decent movie again.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    its about time that Mickey Rourke gets put into a decent movie again.
    The Wrestler and Iron Man 2 were pretty decent to me. I do have to say that Rourke has clearly created himself into the role of Marv. I couldn't imagine anyone else.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    The Wrestler and Iron Man 2 were pretty decent to me. I do have to say that Rourke has clearly created himself into the role of Marv. I couldn't imagine anyone else.
    Yeah they were great but 2010 feels so long ago... and the things he has been i since have been kinda sad.

Anyhow. Sin City 2 sounds like its going to be something special.

I wonder if from a technical standpoint the special effects/green screen will look much different than the original.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I've never read any of the comic books, but im thinking this is a prequel right? Hoping it'll be as badass as the first one.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The trailer is here!!! God, does it look good!

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    You wouldn't even be able to tell that nearly 10 years are between these movies, I am very pleased at how well they've replicated the feel of the original since after all with technology improvements and using different filming techniques something was bound to look different.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Yay looks awesome.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    JGL!!!!!! So intrigued to see the new story line they added for his part.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    You wouldn't even be able to tell that nearly 10 years are between these movies, I am very pleased at how well they've replicated the feel of the original since after all with technology improvements and using different filming techniques something was bound to look different.
    Yeah, that was one of the things that bugged me about the Matrix and Matrix: Reloaded. The advances in technology hurt it, to me. Look at the "Agent transformation" sequences. The original is awesome due to how glitchy and rough it is, whereas the cops in the freeway chase that get taken over by agents just look rubbery and too smooth.

Here's hoping the rest of the new Sin City looks as good as the trailer and as faithful to the first one!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Yeah, that was one of the things that bugged me about the Matrix and Matrix: Reloaded. The advances in technology hurt it, to me. Look at the "Agent transformation" sequences. The original is awesome due to how glitchy and rough it is, whereas the cops in the freeway chase that get taken over by agents just look rubbery and too smooth.

Here's hoping the rest of the new Sin City looks as good as the trailer and as faithful to the first one!
    Ughh!! I hated that about Reloaded. When Neo is fighting all the Agent Smith's in the beginning, Neo has that rubbery look to him and there are so many close ups too that just make it look cheesy. The look of the trailer is just like the original like disciple said, but it looks....better. Bravo to them for that.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Please... don't suck. The trailer looks amazing but I really hope it's a redeemer for Rodriguez and Miller.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I can't fucking wait for this!

BTW, i guess i'm in the minority here but i rather enjoyed "The Spirit," just on its unusual style alone.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    So, anyone seen this? Any good?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Damn no not yet - i have been wanting to, just haven't been able to get out on a Tuesday to see it but i am very sad that it was a financial bomb.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    So, anyone seen this? Any good?
    Its good. If you liked the first one, you'll like this. You'll also have plenty of room in the theater to stretch out, put your feet on the chair in front of you and such.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Finally saw a late show of it last night in 3D and, despite having a godawful headache throughout the day that extended to my viewing, I couldn't put it off anymore and ended up enjoying the shit out of it. The 3D was a really nice touch, and it felt right for the super-stylized world of SIN CITY. As Rodriguez has described, the plentiful negative space of the film's visuals lend themselves to the format. By comparison, a lot of other 3D films almost have too much information.

Brolin kinda stole the movie for me - more than anyone else in the impressive cast (except for maybe Rourke who is amazing), he seemed to nail the tone: finding that sweet spot with the dialogue where he honored the "noir-ness" of it without hamming it up too much. I also have to shout out Christopher Meloni who was a very pleasant surprise. He was perfect as Mort, who I never imagined would be played by a name actor.

The ending was a little abrupt and maybe slightly anti-climactic, but I totally agree that if you liked the first one, you'll like this one. It's a great ride. Jessica Alba has become a better actor, too, right? And a better dancer to boot.

Might have to see this again in all its theatrical glory before it's gone so I can enjoy it without a raging headache.