Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Awaiting for my Behringer RD-8 (808) to be delivered today
    I've heard mixed things, I'd be curious to know what you think. I haven't looked into it, but I would hope the Behrninger version would come with all the "intended mods" available via switch or something? At LEAST the Kick mod.

On another note, I love the Roland TB-03, it slays the Behringer clone sound-wise, and I'm glad that it is programmed the way a classic 303 is.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I've heard mixed things, I'd be curious to know what you think. I haven't looked into it, but I would hope the Behrninger version would come with all the "intended mods" available via switch or something? At LEAST the Kick mod.

On another note, I love the Roland TB-03, it slays the Behringer clone sound-wise, and I'm glad that it is programmed the way a classic 303 is.
    I didn't like the sound of the Roland TB-3 or TB-03. I felt it was especially lacking when it came to the squelch. I prefer the TD-3, hands down.

I am enjoying the RD-8 as well. It sounds like an 808 to me. I had a TR-8 and did not like it. Sold it. Thought it sounded too sterile. I dunno, personally, the Roland digital clones sound sterile to me. The Behringers have warmth and liveliness to them.

For example, Liam Howlett used a Roland TB-03 on the latest Prodigy album No Tourists and I could tell right away. He used to have an original, but I could tell this wasn't the original. A Prodigy gear giveaway popped up and there was the TB-03, signed and doodled on by Liam with it stating it was used on the new album and the track "Give Me A Signal."

Liam's original 303, which he also gave away...

I tried recreating Claustrophobic Sting 303 riff on my TD-3 and got pretty close...

A post shared by on

I'm sure someone will start modding these things. Behringer wanted to do a Devil Fish version and offered the original modding guy quite a bit of cash, but he began making crazy demands and ruined it.

Something I made while testing out the TD-3...

A post shared by on

Oh, and Liam told me he picked up the RD-8 this week as well. We've been chatting for a few years now. He reached out to me online after the release of my album Disrupt The Scene. He really dug it and called it heavy. We chat a lot about gear and recording. He's told me some awesome making of stories. Dude is a legend. Made me want to produce. I cried when he reached out to me to give me props and even left the door open to work together. I don't need fame or money (though it'd be nice), this is enough for me. Makes it all worth it. I got him to pick up a Dreadbox Nyx V2. I'm a hardcore Dreadbox fan. The best sounding oscillators out there. I'm also a hardcore Prodigy fan, and was psyched Liam posted a picture with the synth when he announced they would return with new beats after Keith passed. Been listening to these guys since I was 9 years old (1993). Keith's passing hit me hard. Management sent me one of Keith's funeral pamphlets. That made it even more real, having it in my hands. But I knew deep down Liam wouldn't stop making music, especially when he kept picking up new gear, such as Soma Labs Lyra 8. I got to hear a little bit of what's coming. Anyway, back to music gear.

A post shared by on

Last edited by neorev; 08-12-2020 at 11:03 PM.

Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    I'll throw my vote in for the TB-03. I got one for $244, shipped new in the box, a few black fridays ago. Figured I would never, ever see a new in the box TB-03 for that price again, so why not? I don't use it in my music, but it's so much fun to have around. It also looked great next to my 606, but I sold that to Gotye a couple of years ago now. I'm not going to wade into whether the TD-3 sounds better than the TB-03, beyond saying that Behringer does good approximations that are a little exaggerated around the edges, but by and large, the Boutiques are more accurate representations of the sound - and the "condition" knob on the Roland Cloud Tb-303 is a nice touch, shame it can't be (won't be) back-ported into the Boutique. Enjoy the tools that work best for you!

Sound aside, other reasons I'll take a Roland Boutique over a Behringer any day of the week: full MIDI control over all the things. While I generally record live, sometimes I want to program in a nice, smooth sweep.

The TB-03 was also the only thing I ever ended up syncing my Boss DR-110 to - only to record a video that I used in my Reverb listing for the DR-110.

The Boutiques are insidious. I traded my MS2000 for a JP-08 and fell head over heels. I've since picked up the SH-01a, the TB-03, and the TR-08, in that order. The smart thing to do is to get a TR-8S, but I've got a Tempest, and until the v2 Firmware was announced, that's done a great job at keeping that at bay, except for hihats. Can't do Roland hihats on a Tempest that sound good. I sold the Boss DR-110 and I paid only a little more for the TR-08. Considering I got the DR-110 because I couldn't afford an 808, this is a massive, massive upgrade for about $20. Also: Looks cool, is a blast to program.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I'll throw my vote in for the TB-03. I got one for $244, shipped new in the box, a few black fridays ago. Figured I would never, ever see a new in the box TB-03 for that price again, so why not? I don't use it in my music, but it's so much fun to have around. It also looked great next to my 606, but I sold that to Gotye a couple of years ago now. I'm not going to wade into whether the TD-3 sounds better than the TB-03, beyond saying that Behringer does good approximations that are a little exaggerated around the edges, but by and large, the Boutiques are more accurate representations of the sound - and the "condition" knob on the Roland Cloud Tb-303 is a nice touch, shame it can't be (won't be) back-ported into the Boutique. Enjoy the tools that work best for you!

Sound aside, other reasons I'll take a Roland Boutique over a Behringer any day of the week: full MIDI control over all the things. While I generally record live, sometimes I want to program in a nice, smooth sweep.

The TB-03 was also the only thing I ever ended up syncing my Boss DR-110 to - only to record a video that I used in my Reverb listing for the DR-110.

The Boutiques are insidious. I traded my MS2000 for a JP-08 and fell head over heels. I've since picked up the SH-01a, the TB-03, and the TR-08, in that order. The smart thing to do is to get a TR-8S, but I've got a Tempest, and until the v2 Firmware was announced, that's done a great job at keeping that at bay, except for hihats. Can't do Roland hihats on a Tempest that sound good. I sold the Boss DR-110 and I paid only a little more for the TR-08. Considering I got the DR-110 because I couldn't afford an 808, this is a massive, massive upgrade for about $20. Also: Looks cool, is a blast to program.
    there’s something really cathartic about going out for a walk and unpacking the TB03 w/ some batteries and an iPad for drums. It has really been a zen thing to help with COVID cabin fever

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    so FWIW the record I just put out pretty much just uses logic as a tape machine. very minimal plugins. just mastering and things like that. Maschine is the only software instrument I used here and there.

But tons of effects pedals, guitars, live drums, drum machines and synths. it was a fun long project.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So I sold almost all my stuff recently (Ableton Push, Mininova, DSI Mopho, Kawai K4r, Korg Microsampler, Korg MicroX, Kurzweil PC3LE6, Yamaha SY99), I kept just Roland System-1 (yes it's that good for me) and plan to use mostly software instruments (e.g. Zenology so maybe this is more for the other thread), but I'm not giving up completely :-) so I need a keyboard - 88 keys, good quality keys, both old MIDI OUT and USB MIDI is a must, and maybe it could also be a piano without computer...? So after a lot of research, e.g. cheap M-Audio, Nektar, Arturia keys have too many bad review regarding keybed, then on the other side we have serious products like Kawai MP7SE (the most beautiful sound I heard), or interesting Korg SV-2, or Yamaha CP88, or very interesting not expensive Casio PX-S1000 (no MIDI though), or Roland RD-88 with Zen engine (but I don't want complicated instrument anymore), nothing was right... until I discovered Studiologic, and especially Numa Compact 2 which is older model (newer 2x has also organs and Sledge (almost Waldorf Blofeld) sound engine and more sliders), but it's EXACTLY what I was looking for, boots in one second, new firmware, aftertouch, USB audio, very simple interface, new sounds including two newly sampled pianos, small size, beautiful design for me, happy owner here! (388 €) The keys are not weighted piano which in fact is good for me, and who is Studiologic? Fatar. There, done deal. :-)

https://www.studiologic-music.com/
    Maybe this could help someone because to tell the truth I scrolled many pages looking for something like this and it was hiding from me all the time somehow! :-)
    Last edited by Substance242; 10-13-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Fatar keybeds for the win generally...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I have a Behringer TD-3, but picked up a Cyclone Analogic TT-303 MK2, another 303 clone. I gotta say that I prefer the TT-303. Folks said the filter on the TD-3 was a little brighter. The TT-303 is pretty damn close to the original. Even better, it has an updated sequencer. The TD-3 uses the originals sequencer, which can be annoying to those not familiar with it. The TT-303's sequencer is much more direct and jammable. The Loop Edit, Pattern Lab, Arp functions make it even more fun. I'm having a blast with it. Much better for jamming. I gotta say, I do prefer the TT-303 MK2 over the TD-3.

There's a major update for the Behringer RD-8 coming too, which should fix any negatives folks may have heard with the 808. I was loving it already, so the update will just make me love it even more.

Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    The TD-3 is literally the bottom of the barrel, and that's fine. You can get them used for about $100, which is a fraction of what you'd pay for that sound 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago. I think that's great much in the way that I think the Model D they put out is great - I bought my Model D for $250, IIRC. Ten years ago, if you wanted an authentic Minimoog sound, whether it was a clone or a vintage unit, you were looking at multiples of that price. To be able to get that sound for the cost of a boutique guitar pedal seems like a no-brainer... but I sometimes think "Maybe I should have spent a little more and picked up the SE-02" but at the time, it was $499 vs $250. Today there are used SE-02s for as low as $350 on Reverb, a much more attractive price.

I haven't had any trouble with the Model D, but I do think it's the only Behringer thing I'll ever buy. If you can save up for the Behringer, you can save up for the better option too.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

I haven't had any trouble with the Model D, but I do think it's the only Behringer thing I'll ever buy. If you can save up for the Behringer, you can save up for the better option too.
    They get a lot of shit for a LOT of reasons in the synth world, but it's hard to say no to the price on some of these things. The Neutron is dope, and I want to get some of their affordable Eurorack modules for logic functions.

Their new 2600 clone does look ridiculously cool. Not seen what they're asking for it yet

Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    They get a lot of shit for a LOT of reasons in the synth world, but it's hard to say no to the price on some of these things. The Neutron is dope, and I want to get some of their affordable Eurorack modules for logic functions.
    For the most part, I think it's pretty great that they've revived decades-old abandonware with faithful reproductions at an extraordinarily low price. I feel like their very direct targeting of Korg was kinda shitty. The whole attempt to sue DSI over forum posts was very shitty, and I'm glad it blew back in their faces. But yes, bring back the Octave Cat, The Wasp, clone 80's x0x devices, and at rock bottom prices.

Their new 2600 clone does look ridiculously cool. Not seen what they're asking for it yet
    I believe the street price was announced as $599 - so if you hold out another year, $499 - half of what a Grandmother costs. It's a great price, and a different product from the recently relaunched ARP 2600, in terms of fit, finish, and features. I don't really see them as competing products. Personally, I think Behringer picked the worst of the 2600 faceplate designs, and the LEDs are trashy as hell (but can at least be turned off).

My setup's been pretty good at keeping new purchases at bay, thankfully.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The TD-3 is literally the bottom of the barrel, and that's fine. You can get them used for about $100, which is a fraction of what you'd pay for that sound 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago. I think that's great much in the way that I think the Model D they put out is great - I bought my Model D for $250, IIRC. Ten years ago, if you wanted an authentic Minimoog sound, whether it was a clone or a vintage unit, you were looking at multiples of that price. To be able to get that sound for the cost of a boutique guitar pedal seems like a no-brainer... but I sometimes think "Maybe I should have spent a little more and picked up the SE-02" but at the time, it was $499 vs $250. Today there are used SE-02s for as low as $350 on Reverb, a much more attractive price.

The Neutron though. For real, for the price and patchpoints, there ain't really anything like it. I highly suggest it. It's a great synth. To be honest, the Behringer Model D sounded beefier than the SE-02. Had both, both great, but the oscillators on the Model D was beefier. I ended up selling both of them cuz the Moog ladder filter bugs me when cranking the res loses so much bass end.

I also prefer the Behringer K-2 over the Korg MS-20 Mini. I thought the build quality of the Mini was kinda crap and plastic-y.

I've got a few Behringer synths and enjoy them all, especially the Pro-1. Pro-1 is their best clone.

My favorite synth I own is my Dreadbox Nyx V1. I absolutely love Dreadbox.
    Last edited by neorev; 10-23-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I bought a Akai MPK Mini a few weeks ago, since I finally got a new computer. Been wanting to play around with electronics for a long, long time. Bit into me hard and it's all I've been spending my free time doing.

Today at the suggestion of a co-worker, I bought a Moog Werkstatt-01 kit.

That's all I got right now, just wanted to share. It's been driving me crazy not being able to tape shows so I decided to take the plunge. We will see if I ever get to the point where I can create something that could be considered a "song" lol

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I picked up a Modal Skulpt for $169 new along with a used TC Electronic T2 reverb pedal.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Damnit you guys should have warned me how addicting synths are. I've tried guitar and drums in the past, but neither clicked with me like this did. I understand when people talk about how they fell in love with a certain instrument for the first time, this just feels so right for me.

Anyways I bought myself a Moog Grandmother and Mother-32. They should be here by the weekend, so excited!

Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Damnit you guys should have warned me how addicting synths are. I've tried guitar and drums in the past, but neither clicked with me like this did. I understand when people talk about how they fell in love with a certain instrument for the first time, this just feels so right for me.

Anyways I bought myself a Moog Grandmother and Mother-32. They should be here by the weekend, so excited!
    Okay, now that you've got a Werkstatt, a Mother-32, and a Grandmother - stop buying synths for a while. You now have a formidable arsenal of monosynths that you should explore before you fall into an expensive habit. Honestly, if you can return the Werkstatt, do it. I wasn't going to talk shit on your fun first synth purchase, but it's a wee little baby, and now you've got grown up options. Use the money to get some outboard f/x - a used Hall of Fame reverb pedal is cheap and hugely rewarding, sonically, and since you're doing analog stuff, maybe get an inexpensive analog delay pedal. I realize the Grandmother has a spring reverb, but that's also a very specific type of reverb - and doesn't do anything for your Mother32.

Just... practice your instruments for a little while. You've got *great* instruments.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    And in the meantime, Behringer being not very nice (though their own stuff like Deepmind or Neutron seems to be great):

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2...off-seriously/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Okay, now that you've got a Werkstatt, a Mother-32, and a Grandmother - stop buying synths for a while. You now have a formidable arsenal of monosynths that you should explore before you fall into an expensive habit. Honestly, if you can return the Werkstatt, do it. I wasn't going to talk shit on your fun first synth purchase, but it's a wee little baby, and now you've got grown up options. Use the money to get some outboard f/x - a used Hall of Fame reverb pedal is cheap and hugely rewarding, sonically, and since you're doing analog stuff, maybe get an inexpensive analog delay pedal. I realize the Grandmother has a spring reverb, but that's also a very specific type of reverb - and doesn't do anything for your Mother32.

Just... practice your instruments for a little while. You've got *great* instruments.
    Thanks man, I'm gonna hold onto the Werkstatt I think, it was cheap and it wouldn't make me too nervous modifying the thing. Also since I'm into car audio as well I can run it off a portable power pack and direct into sub amp and really get my Sundowns flexing with some test tones.

Hall of fame you say? I've seen it used on other people's set-ups, Ill have to track one down along with a delay pedal.

I played piano when I was a kid, so the muscle memory is starting to come back. Any suggestions on tutorials for honing my key skills?
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 11-24-2020 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Hall of Fame is usually < $100 used, and I think it does a good job of covering your basic reverbs. Nothing's that good at simulating spring reverb, but that's perfect because you have the real deal on the Grandmother.

Personally I have a Boss RV-500, and I think that'll hold me over at least a decade and a half. It costs a lot more but sounds amaaaaaazing. A lot of people like Strymon reverbs, but when it came time to buy, the Boss appealed to me more.

I played piano when I was a kid, so the muscle memory is starting to come back. Any suggestions on tutorials for honing my key skills?
    Practice, practice, practice. It's boring but it works. Practice in small chunks, and then practice playing a song through without stopping and restarting. Over and over.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Thanks man, I'm gonna hold onto the Werkstatt I think, it was cheap and it wouldn't make me too nervous modifying the thing. Also since I'm into car audio as well I can run it off a portable power pack and direct into sub amp and really get my Sundowns flexing with some test tones.

Hall of fame you say? I've seen it used on other people's set-ups, Ill have to track one down along with a delay pedal.

Hall of Fame is usually < $100 used, and I think it does a good job of covering your basic reverbs. Nothing's that good at simulating spring reverb, but that's perfect because you have the real deal on the Grandmother.

Personally I have a Boss RV-500, and I think that'll hold me over at least a decade and a half. It costs a lot more but sounds amaaaaaazing. A lot of people like Strymon reverbs, but when it came time to buy, the Boss appealed to me more.

Practice, practice, practice. It's boring but it works. Practice in small chunks, and then practice playing a song through without stopping and restarting. Over and over.

I picked up a Source Audio Collider, a dual engine delay/reverb pedal. Plus it has an app to make your own effects and you can turn the pedal into a delay/delay or reverb/reverb, etc. It's an awesome pedal. I've seen used ones for just under $300. But it's so worth it. I hold them up there with Strymon. If you do ever have extra cash, you can't go wrong with Strymon pedals either.

More affordable options, I just picked up a used TC Electronic T2 (Trinity V2) reverb for $100 used. Also, check out the Zoom MS-70 CDR. It comes packed with tons of effects. The 2.0 update gives you even more effects. You can create FX chains with multiple effects. Only $125.
    Last edited by neorev; 11-25-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I just impulse-bought a full Eurorack modular system that I in NO way need, and I instantly regret it. I haven't done the math, but I'm certain it's worth 2x what I paid for it... but it was still $1700 and I really don't need to screw around with money like that... especially since, in general, I never sell my music gear.

On the reverb discussion, surprised nobody's bringing up the Eventide Black Hole? It seems like everyone but me has one.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 11-26-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Got a Dreadbox Typhon with 20% off. For $303, a fucking steal! Merry Xmas to moi.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    never installed the newer version of protools i got a couple years ago on my old laptop, apparently (12.something or other), it won't open on my newer laptop since i updated to catalina, so i have to try to get it to open on my desktop that i haven't used for several months just so i can export some stuff to be imported into Logic so i can finish mixing it and release it.

i HATE the way avid does their stupid "subscription" service now, and i'm not paying for another perpetual license ($599). glad i switched to logic. but fuck i just want to export some files, and there's no way for me to do that? ugh.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I had a 4 day weekend so I decided to drive up to Asheville, NC to hike and be outside.. Plus, make a stop at Moog Factory and pick up a Mother 32. I have been looking at this mod synth for like 4 years. I told myself when I graduate and start my career, I am going to drive up to the Moog Factory and pick one up from there. I kept that promise. I have no idea what I am doing. It sound amazing. I have been just tinkering with it for hours.

Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    i told myself when i graduate and start my career, i am going to drive up to the moog factory and pick one up from there. I kept that promise. I have no idea what i am doing. It sound amazing. I have been just tinkering with it for hours.
    yyyyeeeessssssss

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    I had a 4 day weekend so I decided to drive up to Asheville, NC to hike and be outside.. Plus, make a stop at Moog Factory and pick up a Mother 32. I have been looking at this mod synth for like 4 years. I told myself when I graduate and start my career, I am going to drive up to the Moog Factory and pick one up from there. I kept that promise. I have no idea what I am doing. It sound amazing. I have been just tinkering with it for hours.
    Nice to hear man, it's a deep deep resource. I've still hardly scratched the surface with mine. Im not musically inclined by any means, and still very new to this, so Ill usually start with a preset that sounds like it might be interesting, and fiddle around from there. I'm starting to get a feel for what does what, and how to get the sounds in my head out, but sometimes when you patch that cable you have no idea what's gonna happen.

My only difficulty is finding time to jam, on days I work (which is most of them), I really only have a couple hours to myself, and after eating and doing housework, doesn't leave much time to be creative.

I'd love to visit the factory someday when things get back to normal.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 12-23-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    My Grandma died earlier this year and left me $1000. I've been wanting to pick up a synth for a while, and I figured there was nothing more fitting than a Moog Grandmother, so I picked one up a couple of days ago (the Dark model). Sweet baby Jesus! This is definitely going to send me down the semi-mod/modular rabbit hole. I'm already planning to pick up a DFAM and a Mother 32, but I need to at least semi-understand how this beast works first. I look forward to many, many hours of knob twisting and patch fuckery.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    if you really wanna spend 1k well as an investment, don't do something rash. I've got some very good recommendations.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    if you really wanna spend 1k well as an investment, don't do something rash. I've got some very good recommendations.
    What'cha got, man? I'm totally down for recommendations. All I have right now is the Grandmother and a JP-08.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I finally have some downtime this morning and hooked up my Arturia keystep to my Mother 32. Been just playing around getting to know this thing. Sounds are so great. I've been watching tutorials all morning as there is a LOT to learn that isn't in the manual. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a MIDI USB for the computer so I can get all this stuff into Ableton Live?