Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    @Leviathant hey, I've been trying to record a bunch of parts we've been putting together in the Tempest and were trying to multitrack record it out to the computer. I tried running the six voices simultaneously into my audio interface, and it did separate the voices, but the result was kind of unusable because it would be putting different sounds on different voices... like, voice one would have the kick, then the kick would be on voice 2 or something, and then the hi hat would show up toggling between voices 1 or 4 or whatever...

So actually getting the "sounds" I want on their own respective channels seemed to be a more laborious process than just going through and individually dumping the solo'd parts... which is really not an effective way to go about things. Do you have any suggestions?
    First question, and my apologies for a 'Did you check the plug' question, but are you using insert cables on the indie outs? They're stereo output. If you're careful about programming and voice assignment on account of "feedback" only affecting the left channel, you can technically get 12 outputs if you pan hard left & rigth.

In general, I've taken to assigning each pad to a specific voice. At first, this arose out of an issue I had with using the filter to make sine-wave kicks. There were subtle differences between voices 1-6, so by setting that kick to always be voice 1 (or whatever), I got a consistent kick. Eventually, because of the occasional weird voice cutoff, I found it made sense to just assign every single pad to a specific voice. I'm a little bit predisposed to this given that I got my start in music on tracker software, and early on only had four channels to work with - got used to putting the kick, hihat, and snare on the same channel, especially if I had a snare sample that was really a kick + a snare.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    awesome, you've given me the breadcrumb trail to figure this out. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    If anybody would like to buy this for me I would be very grateful.

You wanna buy my arp axxe 2313? (come on, we both know you don't need a 2600, you just need a TTSH)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i had the greatest moment with my dad this summer (yes it's relevant) i had just gotten the filter knobs done on my my righT arm.

Envelope on the Left
    Filter on the Right
    inspired by the pro one patch sheet (found in the manual)

i looked up at my dad, put my arms out (so i was sure he could see my new ink ... rubbing it in at this point is ok because... )
    'Father, forgive me for my sinths!

We both laughed for a free minutes. It was great. After all we are O'Donovan's.

i'll be back after i get rest, i might be selling somethings. first need sleep.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    well, that was endearing, but ultimately confusing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    maybe this will help ... https://www.instagram.com/p/2KCEw4nKln/

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    so I finally took the plunge and bought my first Eurorack modules.

my new best friend

EDIT: and I just realized that if I sell all this collectible stuff I've been collecting randomly through the years, I can expand this in a really insane way.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-09-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    is anyone going to NAMM this year? I'm going to be working at a booth.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    is anyone going to NAMM this year? I'm going to be working at a booth.
    Can I get a pass?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Can I get a pass?
    Sorry, I don't think so...

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    went out today and bought the Flame 4vox quad wavetable oscillator. I didn't know this kind of love was possible.

The modular Eurocrack addiction struggle is real, but also the best thing ever.

Last edited by Jinsai; 01-11-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    went out today and bought the Flame 4vox quad wavetable oscillator. I didn't know this kind of love was possible.

Made any music??

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    Made any music??
    This is the newest track I've put up, and the first one I've used the modular rig on: https://soundcloud.com/sirensection/...kle-pony-racer

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, Yamaha Montage looks quite good, does it not? :-)
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...016-namm-show/

But, seemingly it can not doo AWM as input for AFM like my SY-99 can, so Yamaha SY-99 is still the best Yamaha ever. :-p

(But really, I wish Yamaha woud come with something GREAT again after so many years of Motifs...)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    For whatever reason, I've never really been drawn to workstation style synthesizers. For all the hype the Montage got (which really just consisted of Richard Devine saying it was alien), it really does look like it's an updated SY-99. I'm sure it's very powerful, and feels very nice, but it's not really the kind of thing I'm going for personally.

I'm mildly interested in the Korg Minilogue, but I'm letting the hype machine burn itself out before I take a closer look. It seems like a nice replacement for my MS2000.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I'm mildly interested in the Korg Minilogue, but I'm letting the hype machine burn itself out before I take a closer look. It seems like a nice replacement for my MS2000.
    I'm going to try to make time to check that out at NAMM when/if I get a chance. I'm not in the market for it, but I'm curious.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I think I'm selling my synths (Alesis Micron and Novation XioSynth) to make room for new babby. Mixed feelings!

On the other hand I might buy a teenage engineering OP-1 in compensation.

Grand sum of music recorded in the last year: none.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I think I'm selling my synths (Alesis Micron and Novation XioSynth) to make room for new babby. Mixed feelings!
    As in "How is babby formed"? Congratulations!

On the other hand I might buy a teenage engineering OP-1 in compensation.

Grand sum of music recorded in the last year: none.
    I feel like you might actually not have time for music if girl get pragnent, not for a while. Save that money up for diapers and daycare.

Quote Originally Posted by jinsai
    I'm going to try to make time to check that out at NAMM when/if I get a chance. I'm not in the market for it, but I'm curious.
    Even if it seems like a good thing to swap my MS2000 for, I think I'm going to wait it out a few months. The hype is strong with this one, and I wasn't really sitting here thinking "I need a new/different polysynth" - but the MS2000 is physically bulky, the sequencer/arpeggiator falls out of sync, and the sequencer's kind of a pain to work with. Although it has nice modulation routing for a VA of it's vintage, and a wide range of oscillators, I really just don't find myself gravitating towards it when I want to make sounds.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Even if it seems like a good thing to swap my MS2000 for, I think I'm going to wait it out a few months. The hype is strong with this one, and I wasn't really sitting here thinking "I need a new/different polysynth" - but the MS2000 is physically bulky, the sequencer/arpeggiator falls out of sync, and the sequencer's kind of a pain to work with. Although it has nice modulation routing for a VA of it's vintage, and a wide range of oscillators, I really just don't find myself gravitating towards it when I want to make sounds.
    If you're looking to negotiate space in your studio, you might consider trading out your MS2000 for the MS2000R rack mount version? It would probably be a clean trade with 250 to 300 extra for yourself.
    Interesting that the thing is drifting off sync. How are you syncing it?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I can't be the only one who spoonerism-reads "Korg Minilogue" as "Kylie Minogue".

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    If you're looking to negotiate space in your studio, you might consider trading out your MS2000 for the MS2000R rack mount version? It would probably be a clean trade with 250 to 300 extra for yourself.
    Interesting that the thing is drifting off sync. How are you syncing it?
    The sync drift is a known issue, and was addressed directly by a Korg rep online in the 2000s with "Just record it as is and adjust it in your DAW" basically. As I've been moving further and further away from any DAW interaction, that's not really helping my situation - and neither would an MS2000R, although there was a time when I considered getting one just because it was cheap and would double my polyphony.
    @jmtd Every. Single. Time.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Pretty cool setup. Someone recommended the Flame 4vox to me recently and I may have to make room for one. I've loved all the demos I've heard. I'm almost out of room though. How great is Mutable Rings?

The latest thing I did with my setup.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Pretty cool setup. Someone recommended the Flame 4vox to me recently and I may have to make room for one. I've loved all the demos I've heard. I'm almost out of room though. How great is Mutable Rings?

nice! its rare that I see modular videos as anything more than wankery; this was pleasant. gonna check out more of your stuff.

EDIT: wow dude, just climbed through some of your youtube videos. beautiful stuff, man.
    Last edited by screwdriver; 01-19-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Seconding. @blackholesun that was really great, especially considering the bleepy bloopy crap I was expecting to hear coming from your configuration, and despite the irrational and unfair eye-roll I sometimes do when I see a pocket operator. Really nice work.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post

Haha... small world. I saw your post on Facebook (via muff wiggler?) and said something like "dope! and yeah, Rings is awesome"

Which it is... I also love the Flame, but to really get the most out of it I think I need some kind of a summing mixer with attenuation, or something like the Intellijel Planar joystick... which seems like an ideal pairing.

Then again, either way I'm almost completely out of room (I have 9 HP left). Hard to decide if I should get the Make Noise Skiff or just go big and get the 9U Doepfer so I'm set for a LONG time...
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-19-2016 at 11:35 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    As in "How is babby formed"? Congratulations!
    That's right, and thanks

I feel like you might actually not have time for music if girl get pragnent, not for a while. Save that money up for diapers and daycare.
    You're no doubt right. If I can't find time now, I won't have a cat in hell's chance then!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    That's right, and thanks

You're no doubt right. If I can't find time now, I won't have a cat in hell's chance then!
    my kid just turned 1 year old. the year my wife was pregnant (two years ago) I wrote more music than I ever have before. Then, as you can imagine, last year it slowed to a crawl, though I still wrote a few new awesome songs (album coming soon!). This year things seem to be getting a little easier. But just brace yourself for that first year, holy cow.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    @Jinsai oh right on man. Had no idea that was you. Was the eurorack synthesizers group I believe.

Thanks for checking that out @screwdriver and @Leviathant . I like bleepy bloopy stuff myself, but I work better in the melodic and ambient realm.

Namm starts up tomorrow. Looking forward to what new stuff is going to be announced. Strymon supposedly entering eurorack.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    Yeah, I saw that at NAMM. Beautiful, but it's going to cost $2000. Really though, my favorite part of it is the matrix sequencer, and there's much cheaper options to integrate a sequencing approach like that with CV outs for my modular.
    I'm curious to see what the Waldorf KB37 is going to cost, because that looks like it's more up my immediate alley.

Thing looks so amazing