Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post

I have to open at work tomorrow so I won't get a chance to play this until tomorrow.
    I got mine today, too, and just like you... I won't get a chance to mess with it until tomorrow (at the earliest). Being an adult is horseshit.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

I'm messing with my Strega today, and good lord... this thing is a playground for soundscapes and textures. I've got mine paired with a 0-CTRL, and now it's got me wanting to add a 0-Coast.

Last edited by caca; 03-11-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The Model Samples is like the Digitakt Light kinda how the Digitakt is the Octatrack Light. I have all 3 but I am not keeping the Model Samples. I just picked it up for cheap and thought it might be a fun device to travel with. Ended up picking the Polyend Tracker for that task.
    About Samplers, it all depends what you want to do but I say you can't go wrong with any of the current MPCs, The Force, Polyend Tracker or Digitakt/Octatrack. It just depends on your budget. I am obsessed with samplers/drum machines so if you have any questions on any of those i'd be happy to answer.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I HATED those knobs on the desktop version. I can't imagine so many more on the keyboard version. I did the knob upgrade on my Tempest and it felt like a fancy new machine. I don't know why they skip out on such expensive gear.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    For those of you interested in buying a Buchla Model 100: Careful, it may make you trip balls.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/engi...ally-takes-lsd

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Someone was selling a Cyclone Analogic TT-606 in mint condition on eBay for $189...

Of course, I had to go for it. Thankfully I didn't buy the Behringer RD-6. I find the TT-606 has more oomph to it. A more pronounced sound. Plus the upgraded sequencer and the multiple alternate hi hat/cymbal sounds to choose from.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

An ode to one of my favorite and best supporting characters of all time. Starts off slow but gets noisy later on. I programmed everything in advance, and when I recorded this I manipulated filters/decays on my DFAM, Mother and Grandmother and triggered the samples live, which I used my SK-1 Wilhelm scream and Audacity on my computer for, as well as ran my L-12. Percussion came from RD-6/8 and I used all sorts of effects pedals. Audacity and VSDC were used for post. I just have so much fun doing this stuff!
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 06-26-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ProckGnosis visits the new Dreadbox office/workshop in Greece...

Two upcoming synths were leaked in the video for those who looked closely.

Dreadbox Nymph.
    A new 6 voice polyphonic synth, which DB had been teasing on their Instagram stories. You get to hear a little bit of it.

Dreadbox Abyss V2
    An upgraded Abyss is finally coming in the form of an 8 voice version with what appears to be a Typhon screen sized cutout with "preset" written.

In case this wasn't already known, I am a HUGE Dreadbox fan. This is awesome news!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Picked up a Minilogue XD

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Picked up a used Roland Boutique Juno sound module for a steal, and wow, this is what I have been needing. Between my Grandmother and Mother Ecosystem, everything I have been making lately has been sounding same-y, and getting a new and different voice into the mix has helped me get re-inspired. Especially running it through my Hall of Fame, the "SHIMMER" setting really gets the party started!

(I know better to fall into the trap of more gear=more creative. And yes I know it's only got 4 voices, but this is the first poly synth I have owned so it's more than enough for me.)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Speaking of Roland Boutiques... I've got three that I'm a big fan of, but one thing that bugs the crap out of me is the power supply. Micro USB sucks, that's why everyone stopped using it, and if you try to run more than one Boutique off a single USB power supply, you're going to get ground noise in the audio path. It's a major pet peeve of mine.

Well, I don't know why I didn't bother trying this before, but tonight I ran a couple of wires from a 5v wall wart to the spot where the batteries connect to the mainboard on one of my boutiques and it started right up. So I've ordered three barrel jacks and I'm going to add a traditional DC power connectors to each of my Boutiques, and try running them off a single power supply. I'm pretty stoked about this, because right now I need three different USB power plugs to run three of these devices, and that's kind of silly.

P.S. I'm selling a couple of analog delays and an acoustic guitar DI box.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Anyone mess around with the Bastl instruments stuff? I picked up the Kastl and Kastl drum super cheap online last week. Thought they would fall into the pocket operator area of too toy like for me, but they are surprisingly robust. I have the Microgranny sampler, which kind of just sits around unfortunately. Their new synth looks pretty sweet. But now I am getting interested in some of their older discontinued gear. Never popped over to this side of ETS.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    Anyone mess around with the Bastl instruments stuff? I picked up the Kastl and Kastl drum super cheap online last week. Thought they would fall into the pocket operator area of too toy like for me, but they are surprisingly robust. I have the Microgranny sampler, which kind of just sits around unfortunately. Their new synth looks pretty sweet. But now I am getting interested in some of their older discontinued gear. Never popped over to this side of ETS.
    Only their eurorack modules but never personally bought any. I'm still very much considering getting a Knit Rider though

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I keep looking at that Dirtywave M8 Tracker.... I would love to have something super portable as I travel for work (well not lately). Too bad there is such a small amount of them out, no second hand market yet.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I keep looking at that Dirtywave M8 Tracker.... I would love to have something super portable as I travel for work (well not lately). Too bad there is such a small amount of them out, no second hand market yet.
    Well, you could always go lofi and get an LSDJ Gameboy tracker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Well, you could always go lofi and get an LSDJ Gameboy tracker
    This is true. I dont have any experience with composing in that environment so it would probably be worth it to see if it even works for me. I could see people either loving or hating it.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    This is true. I dont have any experience with composing in that environment so it would probably be worth it to see if it even works for me. I could see people either loving or hating it.
    It's definitely an "acquired" approach... it takes patience and it might not be your thing. I would actually recommend checking out Renoise over anything else at this point, though that's probably for the other computer music making thread

But yeah, Renoise is definitely the most incredible tracker program I've messed with... it's free to play with, you just can't export audio without a license, but even then, if I remember right it's only like 50 dollars or something
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-06-2022 at 01:50 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It's definitely an "acquired" approach... it takes patience and it might not be your thing. I would actually recommend checking out Renoise over anything else at this point, though that's probably for the other computer music making thread

But yeah, Renoise is definitely the most incredible tracker program I've messed with... it's free to play with, you just can't export audio without a license, but even then, if I remember right it's only like 50 dollars or something
    Thanks. Didn't realize there was another thread. I use both sides so I will pay attention to where i post. Where is the, "tell me if my songs suck" thread? I think i am ready

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Where is the, "tell me if my songs suck" thread? I think i am ready
    Make a thread in the Artistic Expression part of the board. Usually people aren't assholes, and I am interested to hear.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-12-2022 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I recently got reissue TC Electronic SCF Gold Chorus pedal I have just now got worked into my rack and patch bay, and I have been running my Grandmother through it with just a simple 80s style pluck bass patch that I usually have the filter mostly closed for but goddamn when you open it up and get that width dialed in on some weird grooves....

You get the point, all of a sudden I feel like i can get lead type sounds out of this. As of late for leads, I have been relying on the matriarch and I have also been running my jd08 and ju06 on the same midi channel with a keystep 37 and playing them together as one synth. I enjoy the bright clean sharp tones I get out of the Rolands juxtaposed against the dark abrasive nature of the Moog gear.

Not sure where I am going with any of this, just a few comments in regards to what I have been up to and my thoughts. I have realized over the last year just how much, as an amateur experimentalist, I love the immediacy of physical synthesizers, crafting and shaping sounds. I have a Roland KC990 I play through in my studio place and it's brutally loud and I love how I can FEEL the sound waves.

I'm way off, but eh whatever. If you read all this thank you.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Outside of fucking around on the piano, all my music creation methods have grown stale. I have been wanting and thinking about getting into modular synths. After watching a boat load of videos it sounds like it's good to have an initial plan of what you want to achieve (melodic sequence, ethereal sounds, etc) and work up from there.

For my starting point I would want a clock to sync with my daw, something to generate sequences, an oscillator, LFO, envelope and filter, probably a delay. I have also seen videos where it is suggested that a good starting point is a semi modular unit like a Moog Mother 32.

Can anyone comment on the pros an cons of starting semi modular vs. full modular? My understanding is that semi gets you started quickly but may pose some limitations later.

Does my plan full modular sound reasonable as a starting place?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post

Can anyone comment on the pros an cons of starting semi modular vs. full modular?
    If you're thinking about full modular then it's inevitable you'll go down that route at some point. Semi modulars are good at two things - being a gateway to the modular world, having a few complementary functions under one chassis and integrating very well with non modular gear so you can get comfortable with the ideas. They are also really useful as auxiliaries to a modular system. I run a small eurorack rig live and nine times out of ten take a Dark Energy or an 0-Coast for an extra voice or functions I *may* need.

It is a good idea to have a plan when starting with Eurorack but that plan can quickly change as you deal with the actual instrument. I think modular can be a great environment to work in for some purposes but an expensive overly complicated one for other things.

Have you looked at the Behringer 2600 at all? It's a really great synth that is capable of functioning as a fairly straight fixed architecture synth doing standard leads/basses/pads etc, but can get really wild once you start patching it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I picked up an MPC One about 6 months ago and have finally gotten comfortable with using it as the main brain of my rig. Master clock, midi and cv sequencing and sampling was the main things i wanted it for. I sampled my DFAM and have made a couple gnarly kits with it, and it's great because I can play it along side the DFAM itself similar to how I'll play my 303 clones as almost a lead. I also got my Strega to follow the DFAM and process some of its various CV signals, so that's been pretty rad (it's still a NIN drone machine, not that that's bad)

I have also, through a bowling partner of my friend I share my workshop with, managed to get a Microkorg for $75 (gift for their son who used it once 3 years ago and hasn't touched it since and has no interest in it) for it's built in vocoder, and to add another sound to my pallet. So far I've use my crap vocal abilities to make some stereotypical 90s techno samples (yeah! Woo! and most importantly.... BASS) and with the MPCs new update they added probability into the sequencers so I can set it real low for samples so they only come up so often when I'm jamming. We will see where this vocal thing goes... I hate my voice and I don't think I can really sing well, but I friggin love robot vocals and I'll make it work in pursuit of them. It's not like Al or Trent are the best vocalists out there but they cut the mustard.

I'm feeling more comfortable with my gear and being able to get the sounds in my head out of said equipment. Someday Ill track everything I have been jamming on the last few months (so busy with work so even and hour is a luxury), reset everything and try to sculpt an actual song(s).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I'm so happy about this I need to share. A fellow manager from a different department where I work at, a guitar guy, after months long negotiations, sold me a well worn, gigged MF101 for $200.

I have all my effects pedals in a separate stand patched into my patch bay, but this is so versatile it's getting put up on the top of my keyboard stand with my modular gear. I hooked up my sub mixer to it that I use for my drum machines and with an EP-3 ran into the filter cutoff I'm already getting some gnarly sweeps.

edit: I'm not into succulents but I understand the need for knick-knacks in the jam space. Those aren't just any welding goggles, I wore them to the last Ministry show I went to and I was on the rail so they have been in the presence of The Master. If even a tiny, microscopic amount of Al's musical mojo wore off onto them, and this was Skyrim they would give me +5 to Music Production and +3 to general Bad Ass-ery. Various stones for channeling energies, robots, cat statues and Star Wars figures.

Moral of the story, talk to anyone and everyone you know about making music. I've know this guy for 5+ years and only in the last year have I know about his interest in guitars, and even though I don't play, there is obviously overlap with my musical interests.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 07-02-2022 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I'm so happy about this I need to share. A fellow manager from a different department where I work at, a guitar guy, after months long negotiations, sold me a well worn, gigged MF101 for $200.
    Awesome, dude!!

I wore them to the last Ministry show I went to and I was on the rail so they have been in the presence of The Master. If even a tiny, microscopic amount of Al's musical mojo wore off onto them
    I know that feel. I was on the rail on a Ministry show and Al got down and shook everyone's hands. I shook it and immediately I felt a tiny part of his energy inside me. Another guy next to me actually kissed his hand. Normally I'd be like "ewww" but in that case it made perfect sense

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Got an irl friend to part with this, they have the M too and said they hardly used the Z and it shows, this thing is so fresh! (Still paid twice msrp but the prices haven't exploded like the M has, yet.)

Im really excited about the loop breakout feature on this too, so I can run the delays through a phaser or bit crusher or something else. Plus IMO I prefer the darker sound of this one over the brighter tones of the M model. Woo!!!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I am downsizing a ton of stuff. selling off tons of gear.
    if anyone sees anything they like, hit me up.

https://reverb.com/shop/drones-pro-audio

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I am downsizing a ton of stuff. selling off tons of gear.
    if anyone sees anything they like, hit me up.

https://reverb.com/shop/drones-pro-audio
    Well, I am definitely interested in that DBA Absolute Destruction pedal if it is still around
    Pm?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caca View Post
    I'm messing with my Strega today, and good lord... this thing is a playground for soundscapes and textures. I've got mine paired with a 0-CTRL, and now it's got me wanting to add a 0-Coast.
    all of the Make Noise devices are amazing. My favorite so far is the Phonogene, which I personally prefer to the Morphogene, but they're both great. A Phonogene, basically dirt-cheap last time I checked, is gonna accompany your setup there amazingly.

Then, you gotta expand with a random voltage unit... and I'm not trying to break the bank here for you, but a Make Noise Wogglebug will make your setup....

rock...
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-25-2022 at 06:03 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    yup! still got it! @Jinsai