Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Get yourself a screwdriver, some q-tips, and rubbing alcohol. Open that bad boy up, and start cleaning contacts. Maybe it'll fix it, maybe it won't.
    Thanks, man

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    the local keyboard not working might be due to an internal global mode, @elevenism . MIDI language hasn't changed since its inception, we're still rooted in the same restrictions. One of the modal commands is to disable the local keyboard, or to set the local keyboard to distribute out to a different MIDI channel than the device is receiving on, so you could (hypothetically) use the local keyboard to control another device while you mess with the sequencer.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Jinsai and @Leviathant , i sure am glad i know you guys (online at least.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So a couple months ago i updated my os... well it rendered my old midi keyboard useless so I got an m-audio mtrack. love it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    There was one legendary local synth group Oceán, peaking around 1991, I still have them in my heart, and I think their concert was the highlight of my life. On the podium, they had Yamaha DX-7 of course which I already have in SY-99, and Roland D-50, which... I will own soon, thanks to Roland D-05, yay! :-D
    https://www.roland.com/global/products/d-05/
    I resisted JX-03, JU-06, JP-08, SE-02, Behringer Deepmind 12... but this... I just gotta have one.
    Funny thing that yesterday after reading this I had pieces of Jarre Revolutions in my mind when walking outside, only to discover it was almost completely done on the D-50. :-)

Edit: Also, my first "album" was just Cubase on Atari 1040 STF, recorded to cassette tape live from Roland D-110, because I did not have a sound mixer, so of course I used also preset "Soundtrack", but D-110 while multi-timbral did not sound so good.
    Last edited by Substance242; 09-10-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I was going to get a Prophet 08 PE since they're cheaper now but apparently DSI released the successor to it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I made this mostly without a computer.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, what is your favourite new thing from NAMM 2019? I like this crazy box. :-)

https://www.gamechangeraudio.com/plasma/
    Last edited by Substance242; 01-26-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Although historically, Arturia's synth hardware has looked cool on launch only to lose my interest before I got my wallet out, the Micro Freak looks incredibly tempting to me right now.

That Plasma distortion looks lovely, but at $1500 I'm definitely not the target market there.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I am excited for the Behringer clones, especially the Pro-1 and 808. They did an amazing job with the Model and I absolutely love their Neutron synth.

I actually just picked up the Dreadbox Erebus 3. Dreadbox is my top favorite synth company right now. Their oscillators are just so big sounding. I own their Nyx, Erebus V2, and now the Erebus 3. I had the Hades, but ended up selling it to get this. A part of me regrets giving it up, but this synth has loads more going on. I love Dreadbox!

Heres' a short piece I made with the Dreadbox Nyx, Behringer Neutron, and Roland SE-02...
    Last edited by neorev; 01-26-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I've been working at NAMM this year without much time to explore... I'm really hoping I can get around a bit tomorrow and check some things out. I want to see that DAW-less hardware version of Live from Akai w/ cv outputs for euro integration.

That Plasma distortion looks lovely, but at $1500 I'm definitely not the target market there.
    It's $200 I thought...
    It's cool. sounds better on synths than guitar Imo, but it always depends on what you're going for.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Yes, the Microfreak got me. I've placed my order. At Ł265 it was a no brainer really. Looking forward to mangling it further with a pedal or two.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Having fun with these just now..

The Oi Kant! by Optotronics, and the 8-bit synth by Michael Rucci. The little 4 channel mixer is by Michael Rucci too.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Can anyone recommend a good synth for beginners? Since moving to Colorado, I've been looking for a new good healthy hobby for myself, and learning how to play the synth has always been on my bucket list.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Has anyone attempted to record using an old Tascam four track at any point recently? Exploring the idea of going that route for an upcoming release, but I may be romanticizing the process.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good synth for beginners? Since moving to Colorado, I've been looking for a new good healthy hobby for myself, and learning how to play the synth has always been on my bucket list.
    The Korg Minilogue or Monologue seem like nice starters because they're inexpensive, featurepacked, and that little oscilloscope helps you understand how you're affecting the sound when you're fiddling with knobs and sliders. Monologue is a monosynth, so it's one note only, good for basslines. Minilogue has 4-note polyphony. If you had the patience and resources to save up a little more cash, I would recommend a Minilogue XD.

Another good bang-for-the-buck synth is the Behringer DeepMind.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Has anyone attempted to record using an old Tascam four track at any point recently? Exploring the idea of going that route for an upcoming release, but I may be romanticizing the process.
    Low fidelity gets old fast, IMHO. What appeal does a four-track have to you over something like a Zoom R16? Cortini's use during live performances is novel and fits the aesthetic of his music, but there's a very real reason why recording on audio cassette tapes fell out of favor.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Low fidelity gets old fast, IMHO. What appeal does a four-track have to you over something like a Zoom R16? Cortini's use during live performances is novel and fits the aesthetic of his music, but there's a very real reason why recording on audio cassette tapes fell out of favor.
    Looking for a lo-fi sound quality, I guess.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Looking for a lo-fi sound quality, I guess.
    I mean, I can't talk too much smack here - I'm running my entire album through a 1978 mixing console to unify the sound in a low fidelity way. In the spirit of the title of this thread - check Facebook Marketplace for deals.

But also consider the Soundtoys Decapitator VST, you can probably land a sweet deal around Black Friday.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I use a Tascam 4-Track all the time... in a variety of ways. But it's just a tool... ironically, it's a luxury to have it around.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    @Archive_Reports
    I've got a couple of Tascam 4 track machines. The main one I use is a 424 mk III, a great machine with a decent enough mixer and double speed tape deck. I've recorded most of my self released music on that machine, or at the very least used it for the mixer section.
    Prices on ebay and reverb are too high for the most part, but bargains can still be found if you're willing to wait and not dive right in.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Sequential has discontinued the Pro 2.

I had landed a Moog Sub 37, which I still really enjoy, and it has the company of a Poly Evolver & Tempest, so I have used that as an excuse to keep me from spending about two grand on another synth. I've been sidetracked for the past few years and haven't really put my gear through its paces too, so it would be sad and embarrassing to buy one only to effectively put it on a shelf.

But what a monster. I wonder what Dave's doing next.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I just got a Minilogue xd.
    Nice upgrade from the original. Nice to have a 3 simultaneous fx option. The digital oscillator will open a few doors I guess. There are nice touches like 16 sequencer buttons instead of 8, a bigger screen and portamento for the first time.
    Nice machine.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Well hello again. Status up to Yesterday is the same as always: done nothing, achieved nothing. BUT. I just bought a Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator PO-33 KO! sampler/sequencer. And I am determined to achieve something with it/ other shit in 2020.
    https://teenage.engineering/products/po

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I am feeling a significant gravitational pull from the full-size ARP 2600 reissue by Korg, which is already selling out from retailers. The demos sound fantastic. It just looks cool. It's expensive, but if the MS20 kit and MS20M are any indication, for all my talk about how instruments should not be investments but should be something you use, the 2600 reissue will not lose value in my lifetime... but I don't have the space, and spending that kind of money would be unwise for me, considering I don't have a professional career as a musician.

But mostly I'm posting this because Guitar Center uploaded the wrong photos for their listing, accidentally spilling the beans about the (presumably more widely produced) 2600 Mini. Any mentions of this seem to be getting scrubbed from popular synth forums.

I'm sure it will cost less - but I still don't have the space, and I have plenty of great sounding monosynths.

There's a nice interview with a Korg product manager about the work that went into creating the new full-size recreation.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    hey, friends!

what DAWs do y'all use?

i've been using ProTools since i started recording music on my computer in 2004. i bought a new version about two years ago for the first time since, like...2011? but i got a perpetual license, which means i only got updates for a year, so i'm already out of date. also, when i got that new version, i updated my OS, and thus my copy of Reason (what i used for drum programming and synths) stopped working. i was looking into upgrading Reason (which you can supposedly do for only $129 no matter what version you own) so i could be using this shelter-in-place time to work on some electronic-oriented music, but my account on their site shows i'm not eligible for the upgrade, which means i'd have to pay $400 for the software.

logic is only $200, you get free updates forever, it comes with a ton of built-in synths and a hefty drum-programming interface, and (as long as you don't have mac OS Catalina, which i don't) it seems to work really well for people.

i'm not looking to play live, so abelton doesn't seem like a good choice. i mostly record live instruments, with occasional programming and midi work, and do all my own mixing. i don't want to jump into the waters of another DAW unless i know for sure it'll be able to do all the same stuff for me. i'm fine to get to the results using different techniques. from what i'm gathering Logic is probably my best choice.

TL;DR - i'm thinking of getting logic to replace protools for recording/programming & midi/mixing

opinions? advice? thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well, it's hard to use DAW without a computer :-), but - Reaper. Small to install, updated constantly, not expensive and price gives you current + next major version, highly customizable with lost of "javascript" addons. Recommended source: YouTube "Reaper blog" (independent) and reaper.fm.

Anyway, as for real synths, I recently tried to sell everything because it was just a silly dream and it's time to give up (Yamaha SY99, Kurzweil PC3LE6, Korg MicroX, Korg Microsampler, Kawai K4r, DSI Mopho, Roland System-1, Roland D-05, Ableton Push) but as with some previous experiences (selling Xbox, I didn't use it) it's just terrible, so many stupid responses and nothing comes out of it. Maybe I'll donate them for free later. :-)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    The Roland TR-8S got a firmware update and now it has FM drums, and I think I have to get one now

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Awaiting for my Behringer RD-8 (808) to be delivered today