Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    I finally have some downtime this morning and hooked up my Arturia keystep to my Mother 32. Been just playing around getting to know this thing. Sounds are so great. I've been watching tutorials all morning as there is a LOT to learn that isn't in the manual. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a MIDI USB for the computer so I can get all this stuff into Ableton Live?
    Isn't this possible with the keystep?

If you're asking about a compact audio interface that would allow you to track into your computer while also give you additional MIDI ports, you really cannot do better imo than the SSL 2+ USB Audio Interface if you have a computer w/ USB-C ports. You only have 2 ins, but you've got a pair of SSL pre-amps, 2 headphone outs, MIDI I/O. It's just great.

edit: actually, looking for a sec, I'm pretty sure you don't need to have USB-C port on your computer, you can just use a converter
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-09-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I don't know why I can't wrap my head around the MIDI ports... Thank you @Jinsai for the recommendation! I was upgrading my brother's old MB Pro and some of the parts weren't compatible with his computer so I had some refunds on Amazon... Decided to buy a TD-3 lol. I know many aren't fans of Behringer, but for someone who is totally amateur and on a budget. These pieces of equipment are pretty neat and highly affordable!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I don't know why I can't wrap my head around the MIDI ports... Thank you @Jinsai for the recommendation! I was upgrading my brother's old MB Pro and some of the parts weren't compatible with his computer so I had some refunds on Amazon... Decided to buy a TD-3 lol. I know many aren't fans of Behringer, but for someone who is totally amateur and on a budget. These pieces of equipment are pretty neat and highly affordable!
    I love Behringer and their synths. I got a few of them. The TD-3 is fun. I also have a Cyclone Analogic TT-303 MK2, which is even funner.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I have a Behringer Eurorack case that pretty much kicks all kinds of ass. The step sequencer etc, just great, and completely affordable. There's a stigma attached to them, their logo totally does suck, but their gear is really great. The Neutron is awesome and there's nothing like it for the price.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I love Behringer and their synths. I got a few of them. The TD-3 is fun. I also have a Cyclone Analogic TT-303 MK2, which is even funner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I have a Behringer Eurorack case that pretty much kicks all kinds of ass. The step sequencer etc, just great, and completely affordable. There's a stigma attached to them, their logo totally does suck, but their gear is really great. The Neutron is awesome and there's nothing like it for the price.
    the stigma attached to behringer is that the CEO of the company is a literal nazi so, uh...i would avoid giving them money in the future, if possible.

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2...on-journalist/

if you leave a negative review on a behringer product on any public site, he will fucking LOSE IT and start going after you.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the stigma attached to behringer is that the CEO of the company is a literal nazi so, uh...i would avoid giving them money in the future, if possible.

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2...on-journalist/

if you leave a negative review on a behringer product on any public site, he will fucking LOSE IT and start going after you.
    Do you use Apple products? Have you seen how they treat people, especially their workers? I hope you do not have a single Apple product then.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I honestly don't think this bullshit thing makes Uri a "literal nazi," but I agree he sounds like a total asshole. But I dunno, I am at some point in my "musical career" where I've stopped giving a shit about so many of the moral aspects... like as has been said, if you really look into it, owning any Apple products endorses slave wage sweat shop labor... I just wanna make music and have fun doing it and not go bankrupt... so as long as he isn't a LITERAL nazi, I'm shamefully just alright with buying his cheap knock-offs.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Despite saying I wasn't going to buy any more synths, I also hopped on the TD-3 train. This thing is nasty, especially once I started running it through my Boss Super Overdrive I had laying around for a decade ago when I thought I was going to learn guitar.

Speaking of repurposed gear, ive been using the line in on my old Tascam DR05 to tape my jam sessions.

After I compleat the Moog trifecta with a Subharmonicon, I want to pick up a RD-6.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I don't talk a lot of shit about Behringer, but I generally avoid them given how they're the kind of sad sacks who sue people over forum posts. Having said that - I snatched up a Model D when they hit a pretty low sale price a couple of years ago. And as happy as I am with my TB-03 (also snagged at an absurd sale price), I find absolutely no fault in the $150 TD-3. Heck, they're on sale for $129 at Sweetwater (who donates heavily to Republicans, so I stopped buying there) - considering how inflated the prices of original 303s are, I think it's fantastic that they make the sound and the form factor available for peanuts.

And as much as I dislike Behringer, I'm very curious to see what they'll charge for their VCS3 clone. I bet it'll be much less than the $10k+ asking price they often fetch.

For the record since we're asking, the only Apple products I've bought were the iPhone 4s and the iPhone 5s. Yes, corporations are evil. Doesn't mean you can't be thoughtful in the choices you make.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Do you use Apple products? Have you seen how they treat people, especially their workers? I hope you do not have a single Apple product then.
    i didn't say i was perfect, i said the CEO was a bad person (maybe "literal nazi" was a slight exaggeration but the guy's still a fucking asshole). ethical consumption under capitalism is impossible but you have to pick and choose your battles. i was addressing something that was brought up. you don't have to be a dick to me about it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    i didn't say i was perfect, i said the CEO was a bad person (maybe "literal nazi" was a slight exaggeration but the guy's still a fucking asshole). ethical consumption under capitalism is impossible but you have to pick and choose your battles. i was addressing something that was brought up. you don't have to be a dick to me about it.
    I was being a dick? I don't see why you are so offended by what I wrote. Just pointing out Apple is an evil company, even more so than Behringer, yet used a lot by musicians.
    Last edited by neorev; 01-25-2021 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Folks, the topic's over here -->

Thanks!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I don't talk a lot of shit about Behringer, but I generally avoid them given how they're the kind of sad sacks who sue people over forum posts. Having said that - I snatched up a Model D when they hit a pretty low sale price a couple of years ago. And as happy as I am with my TB-03 (also snagged at an absurd sale price), I find absolutely no fault in the $150 TD-3. Heck, they're on sale for $129 at Sweetwater (who donates heavily to Republicans, so I stopped buying there) - considering how inflated the prices of original 303s are, I think it's fantastic that they make the sound and the form factor available for peanuts.

And as much as I dislike Behringer, I'm very curious to see what they'll charge for their VCS3 clone. I bet it'll be much less than the $10k+ asking price they often fetch.

For the record since we're asking, the only Apple products I've bought were the iPhone 4s and the iPhone 5s. Yes, corporations are evil. Doesn't mean you can't be thoughtful in the choices you make.
    I'm thinking the VCS3 is gonna be $700. I've been waiting for the RD-9.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Alessandro is currently debuting the new synth he collaborated on with Make Noise on Instagram live.

EDIT:

More info about it in this video.

Last edited by otnavuskire; 01-27-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I picked up a DFAM and a pair of Mother-32s today, and after just a couple of hours of tinkering so far... holy shit! Awesome! I'm not even going to pretend that I "get it" yet, but I'm slowly figuring it out.

I'm 40 and I've been making music since I was like 9-10, and playing in bands (guitar and bass) since I was 16... but only in the last few months have I started seriously getting into synths. Goddamn, what a fucking blast.
    Last edited by caca; 02-07-2021 at 02:07 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Alessandro is currently debuting the new synth he collaborated on with Make Noise on Instagram live.

EDIT:

More info about it in this video.

Here is another vid...

Got my bonus from work just in time, because I was able to secure one from Detroit Modular!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Here is another vid...

I was able to secure one from Detroit Modular!
    Me, too! I pre-ordered one last Friday. I'm going to pair it with a 0-CTRL.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I've been a bedroom DJ since I was a kid. I still suck, but I love playing records at house parties lol (parties, remember them? Pre COVID?)

Anyways, I just picked up this nice delay box. It's super sick. It's created by one of my favorite Berlin based DJs.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I picked up a Behringer Wasp. Couldn't pass up on the price. I'm a sucker for raw filter synths. Now that I have the Dubreq Stylophone Gen-R, Behringer K-2, and Behringer Wasp, I'm pretty good on the raw filter side. Though I would love a Polivoks filter. I regret selling my old Polivoks.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-14-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I've been a bedroom DJ since I was a kid. I still suck, but I love playing records at house parties lol (parties, remember them? Pre COVID?)

Anyways, I just picked up this nice delay box. It's super sick. It's created by one of my favorite Berlin based DJs.

That is pretty darn sweet. I would love a reverb one, especially if you can let the tail ring out after you release the button.

I also got a new Electro-Harmonix Green Russian Big Muff. I have the regular NY Big Muff Pi too. I love the sound of a synth with fuzz distortion.

I really, really, really, really want to get that Korg Nu:Tekt valve overdrive pedal so bad. I watched a video with it on a synth and it sounded soooooo goooooood.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I picked up a Behringer Wasp. Couldn't pass up on the price. I'm a sucker for raw filter synths. Now that I have the Dubreq Stylophone Gen-R, Behringer K-2, and Behringer Wasp, I'm pretty good on the raw filter side. Though I would love a Polivoks filter. I regret selling my old Polivoks.
    I really want a Three Sisters filter from mannequins... that, is probably something I'm going to just impulsively buy, and hopefully not regret

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    wasn't exactly sure where to put this but Stickermule (from whom i got some awesome holographic stickers for an insanely good deal a few months ago) is having a sale on enamel pins right now. 50 for $29 (normally $69) with free shipping. 1.25" square. i'm getting my shirt design!

https://www.stickermule.com/deals?ut...1TWQnxbQ%3D%3D

anyway, just thought some of y'all might want to get pins made for something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I don't know if you all dig Soma Labs but to me they are soooooo innovative in a world where everyone is doing remakes and clones. The Pulsar 23 is easily the most unique drum machine of all time. I have had mine over a year now and I still can just get lost in it for hours. I know Trent and Atticus have a Lyra 8 but I would imagine they have picked up the Pulsar as well. I am helping Soma with some US distribution and was hoping to go to NAMM or some of the trade shows this year but Covid screwed that to hell. Maybe next year?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Stickermule is having a sale on enamel acrylic pins right now.
    FTFY!

Interesting, and definitely a killer deal. Thanks for sharing.

Who's using a sampler they love, and what is it?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

I have to open at work tomorrow so I won't get a chance to play this until tomorrow.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Who's using a sampler they love, and what is it?
    People mock the Volca line, and there's some deserved mockery there, but the Volca Sample is rad.

There's some great samplers for iPad too, but I guess that's not for this thread. It REALLY depends on what you're intending to use the sampler for though. For instance, you could put together something pretty cool in a little Eurorack beauty case, but if you don't want that rabbit-hole money-vampire in your life, that's reasonable. Digitakt is pretty awesome... and if we're looking at Elektron, I've messed around a lot with the Octatrack, but I think you already have one of those? Also, just now I'm looking at the Elektron site, and I haven't even heard of this line called Model they have now. Model:Sample seems interesting, anyone have any experience with it?

The Teenage Engineering OP-1 is a ridiculously fun thing to mess with, but it's also just something that feels way overpriced for what it is.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-08-2021 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I have to open at work tomorrow so I won't get a chance to play this until tomorrow.
    Fantastic! I've been working really hard at not paying too much attention to the Strega because it sounds so, so good. I'm a little bit jealous.

My synth related update this week is that I finally bit the bullet and bought the Prophet-style knob kit for my Poly Evolver. I was never real impressed with the knobs that came with it - they look a little weird, but they also come off really easily. However, the cost of the knob kit is more than I've paid for some drum machines and some pedals.

Well, I spent the last year not spending money. I'm not buying any new synths any time soon. I've earned a cosmetic upgrade. And after putting them on, I'm actually really glad I did. It looks and feels better than I expected, and I can prove scientifically that the sounds coming out of the Poly Evolver are 5% more warm and fat now. Hell, it's old enough to be called vintage at this point.

(Yes I should have dusted)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I HATED the knobs on the Poly Evolver, now that you mention it. It was instantly offputting for me. I never even considered that I might warm up to the synth a bit more if I swapped the knobs.

While I'm here, lemme just say, everyone in this thread needs a NDLR.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I HATED the knobs on the Poly Evolver, now that you mention it. It was instantly offputting for me. I never even considered that I might warm up to the synth a bit more if I swapped the knobs.
    None of the photos I'd seen of the PEK with the upgraded knobs had really grabbed me, they seemed kind of oversized. In person, they're perfect. In fact they're almost a little TOO tight, as I could see the boards flex as I put some of the knobs on.

Maybe next year, I'll finish this project:

While I'm here, lemme just say, everyone in this thread needs a NDLR.
    That looks delightful! And reasonably priced, too.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    yeah, I mean it should only count for so much really, but hardware aesthetics go a long way for me, and some of Dave Smith's stuff has really toed a line between C&C Music Factory Synth and something you'd buy for your kid. The fonts and colors are just so horrible.

But that's part of the territory really, and blinky lights and cool looks aren't anywhere near as important as the sound and expressiveness of the interface. I can close my eyes and not look at it, but the knobs have gotta feel right.

And yeah, NDLR is a life-changer... even if it's ugly as sin
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-08-2021 at 09:37 PM.