Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: ASHES dIVIDE / Billy Howerdel

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    So no Josh Freese. Understandable, between Offspring and Sting, it's hard to squeeze even more bands. Is Danny Lohner still there?
    Billy has confirmed that Danny is in the touring band

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    New track hit streaming services! “Beautiful Mistake.” Billy posted that he’ll be releasing a track a week until the album comes out.

And damn, this song rules.

So far, I love the sense of freedom of form I’m getting from these songs. So many people described Ashes Divide stuff in an “A Perfect Circle lite” way. This album is not that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

For the guitar gearheads:

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    So far, I love the sense of freedom of form I’m getting from these songs. So many people described Ashes Divide stuff in an “A Perfect Circle lite” way. This album is not that.
    Couldn't agree more. If anything, Ashes Divide gave off that Perfect Circle lite feeling. Hearing the new tracks, it makes sense as to why he dropped the name and used his instead... It sounds like everything he wanted to make back then and the song has more room to breathe making the track feel like 3 minutes instead of 5.

Everything sounds deliberbrant, well thought, and throws in little tid bits that doesn't make the song drag out. I do wish some artists didn't release the entire album or half the album before it even releases, but that seems to be the trend now.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I do wish some artists didn't release the entire album or half the album before it even releases, but that seems to be the trend now.
    SAME. Sadly, I don’t think it was his call because I’ve seen him comment several times that he would prefer people listen to the record in its entirety.

It’s definitely a product of the singles based music industry these days but IMO having 5+ songs from a record before it comes out really takes some of the excitement out of the first listen.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimie View Post
    SAME. Sadly, I don’t think it was his call because I’ve seen him comment several times that he would prefer people listen to the record in its entirety.

It’s definitely a product of the singles based music industry these days but IMO having 5+ songs from a record before it comes out really takes some of the excitement out of the first listen.
    Yeaa this unfortunately happens with a lot of artists. I was a victim of listening to singles (I wouldn't even consider them singles these days) when they were released and once the album came out for said artist, it would deflate the experience. I've been holding off from now on, I'll listen to one or maybe two tracks and wait for the final release.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimie View Post

Maybe I’m an outlier but I love listening to albums all the way through and this fits how I learn albums. I always feel like I find one or two “touchstone” songs that other songs kind of lead to then those songs get filled in as I listen.

This is way better than just having the whole thing leak willy nilly and will drive interest.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Oh I understand why artists do it now and especially in his case because he’s starting a tour for an album that nobody has heard yet so the more of it they can get out to people the better. I just have a tendency to overplay songs that come out before an album release and then anytime I listen to the record in its entirety I have the urge (and often do) skip those songs. I wish I had the willpower to just not listen to things but I do not so I have just learned to try to limit my listens so I don’t get burned out.

Sort of related but I’ve also seen him mention in a few places he will be playing Ashes songs “adapted for 2022” which makes sense since he’s headlining shows on a 10 song record (which would make for an awfully short set) so I’m reallllly excited to see what tracks he chooses and what he does with them.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I want to hear Sword so bad now.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This album is absolutely incredible.

So much energy and it’s extremely rock solid. It’s incredibly rich sonically and feels deceptively complex.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I stayed away from all the singles except the first one and I'd say that this is definitely not what I expected. I've enjoyed it on the first two listens and I'm sure this will become one of my favorite records.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    I stayed away from all the singles except the first one and I'd say that this is definitely not what I expected. I've enjoyed it on the first two listens and I'm sure this will become one of my favorite records.
    The first single seems completely unrepresentative of the whole album. Seems like a curious choice to release first.

Billy’s voice is so calm and commanding on the album and the music has a brooding, dark quality that I hadn’t expected.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Loving it after one listen. A thought I was having as the later singles released was that a lot of these songs kind of sound the same, but I think that's mainly just me getting used to this new sound, such a contrast from most of APC/AD. This is going to be such a nice chill-evening-having-dinner-and-a-drink-with-my-partner album.

Also, my headcanon is that Free And Weightless is a sequel to Weak And Powerless, since it's track 2, has a similar name, and would thematically make sense as a follow-up. That is all.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post

Also, my headcanon is that Free And Weightless is a sequel to Weak And Powerless, since it's track 2, has a similar name, and would thematically make sense as a follow-up. That is all.
    He addressed that in an interview recently and swears it's just a coincidence but said he has been accidentally mixing the two up in conversation

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Any idea what EXP stands for?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    https://www.kerrang.com/billy-howerd...hanged-my-life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [parasite] View Post
    https://www.kerrang.com/billy-howerd...hanged-my-life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This was a really interesting set of questions.

I want to chime in again and just say that EXP is hauntingly beautiful in a way that harkens back to some of the best of Mer de Noms.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Pretty cool that La Ment… later just written as Lament (which one is it, Robert?!) is a favourite of Billy’s. My all-time favourite Cure song is the extended 12” version of Just One Kiss, also on Japanese Whispers.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I’ve been trying to document the shows I’m doing (audio and video) but I really suck at it so I’m glad others are grabbing great video and sharing. I hope it continues the rest of the tour.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    If any of you are on the fence about going to one of these headlining shows because you don't have the cash for tickets, send me a DM and I will do what I can to help get you in for free.

These shows are being criminally under attended and I know it's partially because in some markets the tickets are running $50 including fees and times are tough for a lot of people right now. These shows are great though and deserve to be seen.

Oh and Danny Lohner has been coming out afterwards on some nights bullshitting with people so if you're looking for your chance to meet him, this could be it.

Dates listed below

06/24 – Minneapolis, MN @ Fine Line Music Café
    06/25 – Milwaukee, WI @ Summerfest
    06/26 – St. Louis, MO @ Delmar Hall
    06/28 – Chicago, IL @ Cabaret Metro
    06/29 – Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
    07/02 – Toronto, ON @ Axis Club
    07/03 – Montreal, QC @ Café Campus
    07/05 – Allston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall
    07/06 – New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre
    07/08 – Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre of the Living Arts
    07/09 – Baltimore, MD @ Baltimore Soundstage
    07/10 – Charlotte, NC @ The Underground
    07/12 – Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade
    07/14 – New Orleans, LA @ House of Blues
    07/15 – Houston, TX @ White Oak Music Hall – Inside Downstairs
    07/16 – Dallas, TX @ The Echo Lounge & Music Hall
    07/17 – Austin, TX @ Emos
    07/20 – Phoenix, AZ @ Crescent Ballroom
    07/24 – Ventura, CA @ Ventura Music Hall
    07/26 – Solana Beach, CA @ Belly Up
    Last edited by Jaimie; 06-23-2022 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Added postponed tour dates

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    ^ I'm definitely going to hang out after the Toronto show and see if I can ask Danny some geeky Fragile questions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd love to go see Billy but don't think it's going to happen this time. The closest show to me is 3 hours away on a freaking Wednesday. I'd also love to see VOWWS again. I saw them open for Deftones and they were fantastic!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    So which song on the album was originally Trafficking?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    So which song on the album was originally Trafficking?
    Stars, the last track

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Been listening to this and gone back and forgot how much I enjoyed Keep Telling Myself…

Especially Too Late, Forever Can Be, A Wish, Ritual, Sword and the Lohner mix of Denial Waits (much superior to the album version IMO).