Page 6 of 84 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Seriously, folks, try it as a playlist in the sequence I just posted. Works wayyyy better.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Listen to the scientist! He's right.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The Pin Ups photographer speaks about the session and its origin. Funny to think of an alternate-universe Bowie & Twiggy version of Barry Lyndon!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Yeah, it can be annoying when there are too many re-releases of the same album. You wonder what version is the best, most of the time it's not worth buying again like in your case, and you also worry if they've crushed the dynamics. I got it because it was my first time (officially) owning any version, so it was good for my case as it included both surround and vinyl in one pack. Got into vinyl within the last year and planned on picking this up sooner or later, though they sure are milking this one. If you already own one of the many past re-releases, it probably isn't worth getting. I guess one potential advantage of this release is that it was mastered by Ray Staff, who engineered the original. I don't have a way to compare them, so I can't add anything here regarding that.
    A little late to respond, but anyway. The 40th Anniversary Edition is a new version of the album and is arguably better than the 30th Anniversary one that many purists complained about (trimming off stuff and swapping some channels). There are some threads out there (http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/ar.../t-280554.html) and some reviews (http://www.prosoundnewseurope.com/st...-analogue-self) which detail the differences between versions. Bottom line, none of the versions are overly compressed and they don't try to make it sound modern (just like they didn't do that with the Station to Station 2010 version, it was just a fresh transfer from the original tapes, nothing else, but it still sounds a lot better than other versions). Some will complain that it's just another reissue, but really, all the versions (RCA, Ryko, EMI 1999, EMI 30t, EMI 40th) are pretty different. That goes for every Bowie release with regards to the original RCA CD's from 1985, the Ryko CD's from 1991 and the EMI Remasters from 1999. Some will try to say the RCA CD's are the best but they're just transfers from the vinyls. The 1999 EMI Remasters are the most clear, and it's pretty easy for most people to hear the differences between the releases across the board.

I'm hoping they do some reissues of Low and Heroes at some point, they seem to be where EMI have stopped, having done some sort of special edition to every album before those.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I asked Tony Visconti on twitter (@tonuspomus) about that and he thinks there will be remasters/deluxe editions of those albums; I guess it's just up to EMI or Universal or whoever-the-fuck owns those masters now to pull the trigger on it.
    Last edited by botley; 10-28-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ANYBODY WHO IS A BOWIE FAN AND HAS NOT SEEN THIS YET NEEDS TO WATCH RIGHT NOW:

Edit: If anyone can name the Let's Dance mix on the 15 minute mark, i will love you forever.

Last edited by GoodSoldier333; 11-14-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I asked Tony Visconti on twitter (@tonuspomus) about that and he thinks there will be remasters/deluxe editions of those albums; I guess it's just up to EMI or Universal or whoever-the-fuck owns those masters now to pull the trigger on it.
    They seem to have gotten better about doing these reissues in recent years since there isn't anything else going on with Bowie, so I'm sure they'll come out at some point. It would be nice to have the EMI remasters of the unreleased tracks collected in one place. Hopefully in addition to Low and Heroes, they'll do Scary Monsters as well. I'm not sure they'd do Lodger, as it is a overlooked album of his (sort of like Pinups), but they could do it like they did with Young Americans, just a small package with the little content they do have. I think the others could use a more elaborate package.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    regarding goodsoldier's video: great mix of 'never let me down,' too!

edit: and the LULU version of man who sold the world? forgot how much i liked that.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 11-15-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Can anyone name that Let's Dance mix on the 15 minute mark? I reaaaally need it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    "On January 8, 2013, quite without fanfare and out of the blue, David Bowie did something nobody really expected."

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

New David Bowie

Not many details but if you go to iTunes *right now* you can preorder the album that will be released in March.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/th...xe/id590844404

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Uh... is this true? I don't want to fooled like that dickhead who posted that NIN thing only to reveal that it's a sham.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    ACK! i mean, uh. i preordered it without even thinking. and seventeen tracks & the use of 'heroes' artwork is promising. but uh, i don't care for the track they're giving you out of the gate...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy shitballs.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    One of the best live acts I've seen, on the Reality tour!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Weird new video. Love that the new album art appears to be "Heroes" crossed out with the new title superimposed over top. Totally the last thing any of us expected, hahah, I am so damn excited to hear the rest in March!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I almost didn't believe the tweet from @manmademoon about this.
    The song is great, the video is weird. I love weird Bowie.
    The part of the video where he is standing by the wall looking at the 'workshop' - is that recent? If so, he is looking damn good.

And yay Australia! We get the album days before the rest of the world.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This might be reaching, but is anyone else getting the vibe that he's trying to connect with the post-internet/ADHD/sensory overload age (given how all music released nowadays is affected by it)? What with a bizarre lo-fi video, the WTF album art slapped together via MS Paint, literally nonexistent hype preceding this announcement, and an entire 17 tracks (which is quite a bit, especially for a Bowie album).
    Last edited by Aladdinsanity; 01-08-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i'm just hoping that the rest of the tracks are a bit more exciting than this one, as this comes off like a reality/toy b-side... it may not be bad, but as a lead off teaser after a ten year hiatus, i can't help but feel extremely disappointed. the music has moments of beauty, but i've heard shimmery guitar lines & building drums many times before. here's hoping for a better full length.

ps- invoking and riffing off my all time favorite bowie album for cover art isn't doing me any favors, either...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Check this out http://www.davidbowie.com/the-next-day

New single released now (video - http://www.davidbowie.com/vision?videopremiere=true) and new album in March!

Happy Birthday, Mr. Bowie!
    Last edited by Scarlet Siren; 01-08-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just to be clear: is this a new album the way Reality was a new album, or is this more along the lines of a collection of previously unreleased songs?

Either way, I'm still very, very excited and thrilled by the sudden news! Thanks for the heads-up!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    a new album entirely. seventeen songs. preorder-able on itunes. i mean, it sounds a lot like lesser songs from the heathen/reality/toy era...but praying for the rest to soar above the teaser.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Happy B-Day David. I'm glad you're going to put out new music for all of us devoted fans. And if it's possible, please try and do a tour. I just want to see you play once in my pathetic life.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The artwork on iTunes is probably bullshit.

http://www.davidbowie.com/news/new-w...hday-boy-47841

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    And this is one of the reasons why I love this website! Breaking news about my faviourtes posted here! LOVE IT!

I hope he tours to support this album, I would LOVE to see Bowie live again, saw him in 2004, during his last run and it was an awesome show.
    Looks like he's looking pretty old though, but hey if like The Beach Boys, Rolling Stones and other old timer rock 'n roll masters can still tour, I don't see why he can't as well!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thank you, sir. The cover art definitely threw me: all the press says NEW ALBUM, but I wanted to confirm before entering the "Super-Unreasonably Excited Phase" which is especially dangerous if the teaser is as underwhelming as you suggest.

All that said, this is still great news. Really hoping my laptop is back to normal tomorrow so I can watch/listen to the new song. Also, I don't know how I feel about the LP cover, but I'm willing to forgive it if the music is good. The single cover I dig a lot more. I realize it's doing the same thing, but the fact that it's a far less iconic image makes it seem more new and original.

Doesn't an honest to goodness new album deserve some new photography? Maybe I need to sleep on it. Just seems like an odd choice (which may reveal itself to be an appropriate one), not necessarily a bad one. Certainly a tad confusing. Bottom line: who really cares. Brand new Bowie album is a blessing, and something I honestly didn't think we would ever get again.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Who's the other head?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    in the past couple of years I've came to realize that I love all of his albums with no exceptions (yes even the first one and tonight) so... CANTFUCKINGWAIT!!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

David Bowie

Wow I like this song. I like the video, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD