Page 191 of 263 FirstFirst ... 91 141 181 189 190 191 192 193 201 241 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,730 of 7887

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    !RemindMe 10 years

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Who’s whining? It’s an informed opinion. Not all of us drink the Tool Kool-Aid and worship at the altar of everything this band releases every 15 year cycle.
    And not everyone who's optimistic about the new material is saying it's going to be the most amazing thing ever.

For reasons we’ve outlined for some of you many, many times previously..
    Yeah, it's the many, many times that's getting old.

That doesn’t make us any less of a fan than those of you who find no fault in anything the band does. If you’re okay with retread Tool after waiting so long, then I guess you’re a winner in the end. But to rever this band as the same life force it was 20 - 25 years ago is just flat-out ridiculous..
    I don't think anyone in here finds no fault with the band. I haven't seen anyone acting like they can do no wrong. I've just seen people who are happy there's new Tool and enjoy being happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I've never understood people like this. There are some people that are just afraid to admit their favourite artist released something underwhelming. It's OK to not like everything in an artists discography. But it's when something is clearly subpar and people are trying to convince themselves otherwise.
    See, it's the "clearly subpar" that irks me. The guys who are being negative keep talking like the new material is "objectively bad" and anyone who thinks it's good must have blinders on. I haven't seen anyone say the new songs are the best songs in the band's discography. No one is telling you you're wrong for not liking it, so it kind of sucks when it comes across as people saying you're wrong if you do like it.

Great example of this is Marilyn Manson. Dude hasn't done anything half decent in forever, yet some of his fans continue to gobble it all up like it's the second coming of Christ.
    Totally agree with you... and that's exactly why I don't go in the Manson subforum and constantly tell people how bad I think the recent material is. The people who love the new material think it's great. And that's awesome for them. The Hand That Feeds is some people's favorite Nine Inch Nails song. It's how they got into the band. It got them through a hard time. That's wonderful. It would be pretty shitty of me to go to a show and during THTF, yell in people's ears, "THIS IS ONE OF THEIR WORST SONGS; IF YOU LIKE IT , YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT."

Again, everyone has their own opinion, and I totally respect that. I guess I just don't see the value in constantly telling us that you're disappointed by every detail about this album, especially when 90% of people in here are just trying to have a nice discourse until we can actually hear it.

I'm curious, to everyone defending the new TOOL music, do you like everything the band has done in the past? Is there not a low point in their discography for you? Serious question. Where would you rank this new TOOL material?
    To go back to an earlier point I made, you say "defending" like anyone is saying their opinion is the correct opinion. I only see the negative people doing that. The language of "this sucks" carries an aggressive connotation to it, compared to "I don't like this." I'm not seeing the positive people tell the negative people they're wrong for not liking the new material, but I am seeing the negative people telling the positive people they're fanboys, being defensive, drinking the Tool-Aid, etc. if they do like it.

To answer your question, I like some Tool more than other Tool, but I pretty much love the whole discography. That doesn't mean I expect the new album to be perfect. I'm being cautiously optimistic — I don't expect it to blow my mind, but neither am I focusing on every not-perfect thing about what I've heard so far.

Anyway, I've said my piece. Apologies for getting bent out of shape, but I hate coming to ETS and feeling like I'm being bombarded with negativity (not just negative opinions, but negative ways of expressing them). I want to keep chatting with you guys, and now that we've done this, I'll shut up about it. Respect all around.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I get the feeling the new Tool album will split the base in half. Half will say the new album is utter shit and the other half will claim its a masterpiece on par with their 90s work.....
    And here's the thing: they'll both be right, because that's how opinions work. Let's just make sure to remember that (all of us in here).
    Last edited by Toadflax; 08-16-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don’t understand people who even think every new album by anyone has to be on a par with their best work. I loved With Teeth when it came out, but I never felt it was on par with Fragile / TDS and it really didn’t have to be, I didn’t judge it on those terms and as long as the live shows are great what does it matter?

anyway about new Tool, I love Fear Inoculum - which I listened to first on my Sonos One speaker through Spotify while washing up - I feel if I loved it under those circumstances it will be even better through good headphones - so I ordered the album and this will be the first Tool album I’ve ever heard. I always felt Tool should be a shoo in with my tastes as I love prog and metal and when I first lurked on ETS there was a Tool forum so I read a lot about them but just never got around to it (probably because I’ve never had a chance to see Tool live and a live performance will get me to invest in listening to the music). So I hope they do a proper UK tour next year, rather than the Download festival one off

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    See, it's the "clearly subpar" that irks me. The guys who are being negative keep talking like the new material is "objectively bad" and anyone who thinks it's good must have blinders on. I haven't seen anyone say the new songs are the best songs in the band's discography. No one is telling you you're wrong for not liking it, so it kind of sucks when it comes across as people saying you're wrong if you do like it.
    I agree with everything above, but especially this. It's the negativity presented as objectivity that is annoying: 'clearly subpar', 'nobody wants to hear six 10 minute songs', etc. The whining about wanting more vocals/lyrics, a double album, the band phoning it in, the number of tracks on the album, the expectation of MORE because it's been 13 years...it all sort of reeks of fan entitlement to me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Looks like the Limited Edition is nearly sold out. At least checking all the domestic sites for the US that I had cycled through will no longer allow check out, though there may have been a site I missed. Will be curious if more become available, if Sony-RCA truly had a limited run or if a new physical CD will become available at some point.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Also curious how many limited editions were produced. How does the industry even calculate demand for something like that in this era of low physical sales. Even considering a very active large fanbase. I'd be speculating, but perhaps a few hundred thousand copies? Maybe 500k? Either way, still impressive.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Looks like the Limited Edition is nearly sold out. At least checking all the domestic sites for the US that I had cycled through will no longer allow check out, though there may have been a site I missed. Will be curious if more become available, if Sony-RCA truly had a limited run or if a new physical CD will become available at some point.
    https://www.merchbar.com/hard-rock-m...uxe-cd-package

I didn't try checking out, but it looks as if this place is legit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    ... but I hate coming to ETS and feeling like I'm being bombarded with negativity (not just negative opinions, but negative ways of expressing them).

Exhale, expel. :-)

And as I am getting older and just want to have some fun and enjoy life I'm gonna say this:

I'm going to enjoy every last drop of my fantastically bold sweet tasty Kool Aid as everything in me reacts and moves to Fear Inoculum (and Invincible--that absolutely rocked in concert!). I'm having a blast on the hype train!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    https://www.merchbar.com/hard-rock-m...uxe-cd-package

I didn't try checking out, but it looks as if this place is legit.
    $96?! They are clearly sitting on copies. That's absurd. Would expect that from Ebay resellers.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    $96?! They are clearly sitting on copies. That's absurd. Would expect that from Ebay resellers.
    I feel you; it seems to be pretty expensive everywhere though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hahahaha

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    As far as mashups go, that was really well done.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Swift is my dirty closet music. I have no premonitions, no ethics in my prog metal industrial artistic brained wiring from all these years, I still adore her and don't fucking care. That shit was awesome.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Hahahaha

They’re really describing the same thing.

“I can’t believe you fisted me so aggressively. We’re through.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I’d say take a cue from MJK’s 2002 speech “use this feeling (whether positive, negative or indifferent) to create something positive” re: you not feeling the songs from this new album (sorry if this sounds too hippie).

I, for one, think that Invincible is top tier Tool, right there with their best songs.

Also, if by any chance you are in the Monterrey, Mexico area the day FI drops, the brewpub I help run will have a FI listening party, free admission of course, and we are giving away Tool stickers! https://www.facebook.com/events/2710554135644216/ I'll buy you a beer if you are there!

Finally, from the Metal Hammer interview, JC: "One day during the tour, Maynard's like 'Excuse me, Jus, can I have a word with you?' And I was like, 'Oh no, I'm in trouble'. And he goes, 'Can I ask you a favour? You know, in Invincible, can you get the crowd to not clap during that part? Because it really throws me off!'. The next night I didn't do the pointing thing, and it was hard for me. I'm like 'What am I going to do, just stand in the shadows and be quiet'. And guess what? They all clapped anyway! They're literally clapping a polyrhythm. And I looked over at him and I just flipped him off."

Classic Justin! He should be the spokesperson of this band!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I’d say take a cue from MJK’s 2002 speech “use this feeling (whether positive, negative or indifferent) to create something positive” re: you not feeling the songs from this new album (sorry if this sounds too hippie).

I, for one, think that Invincible is top tier Tool, right there with their best songs.

Also, if by any chance you are in the Monterrey, Mexico area the day FI drops, the brewpub I help run will have a FI listening party, free admission of course, and we are giving away Tool stickers! https://www.facebook.com/events/2710554135644216/ I'll buy you a beer if you are there!

Finally, from the Metal Hammer interview, JC: "One day during the tour, Maynard's like 'Excuse me, Jus, can I have a word with you?' And I was like, 'Oh no, I'm in trouble'. And he goes, 'Can I ask you a favour? You know, in Invincible, can you get the crowd to not clap during that part? Because it really throws me off!'. The next night I didn't do the pointing thing, and it was hard for me. I'm like 'What am I going to do, just stand in the shadows and be quiet'. And guess what? They all clapped anyway! They're literally clapping a polyrhythm. And I looked over at him and I just flipped him off."

Classic Justin! He should be the spokesperson of this band!
    LOL.

And same here re: loving Invincible.

edit: we need this live shenanigans back in 2019.

Last edited by Erneuert; 08-16-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    SRCVinyl still appears to have some in-stock, unless there's a surprise waiting once you hit pay (I wasn't going to order another). Ignore the part where it says you won't get charged until shipment, because that's bull. Not sure why that'd be there, I think most people expect they'll be charged immediately nowadays. It makes that "promise" sound intentionally insincere.

For people complaining about $50 for a CD: this is not just a CD. It's a (custom) digital picture frame with audio capabilities, a CD, and a 30+ page booklet. I can understand the complaint of not having a "regular" physical option, but I was seeing complaints about $50 for a CD being ridiculous.

On entitlement: we're getting a new TOOL album! I've been in this thread before trashing $300 limited editions and delays, but what is the point now? This is supposedly what everyone has been waiting for: a new TOOL album, and it sounds very much like TOOL! People that are bitching about the number or length of tracks on a progressive metal album seem to be missing the point.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Maybe those preorder sites just had a fixed number of orders that their database allows (like 999 copies) and that has to be manually reset by a person. It can't be just sold out on pre-order.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Now that all the sites are starting to be sold out of the CD edition, I'm hoping Amazon doesn't pull that shit where they oversold it and start sending out emails saying "sorry you're not getting it".

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonso99 View Post
    I looked through this thread and couldn't find the info that's being shared on Amazon:

The Limited edition has a 4" screen? COOL!
    This is all anyone was talking about for days after it was announced. I'm personally really curious to see what it looks like.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Really hoping that video screen just plays a worn out VHS rip of Weekend at Bernie's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Somebody let me know when and if they come to their senses and realize they made things way too complicated for some of their most dedicated fans. I'd really like to listen to that album but I'm not going to buy a new gadget or join some online thing just to do it. And I don't need a new screen or speakers.* I have a CD player and I will pay for the music if it ever comes available in a format that doesn't involve a lifestyle change or major electronic purchase.

*No offense to Adam. But a slick packaging job isn't going to make the music sound better or worse.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    <3

Source: Reddit

Quote Originally Posted by CPSmith View Post
    Somebody let me know when and if they come to their senses and realize they made things way too complicated for some of their most dedicated fans. I'd really like to listen to that album but I'm not going to buy a new gadget or join some online thing just to do it. And I don't need a new screen or speakers.* I have a CD player and I will pay for the music if it ever comes available in a format that doesn't involve a lifestyle change or major electronic purchase.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I lost it reading this comment:

That girl on the drums needs more practice.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    "Danny prolly felt weird playing that song with a singer standing in front of him"

Ded

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    <3
    Source: Reddit
    Good god, can we please not let the Tool subreddit creep into this thread?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm glad I abandoned physical music....
    First of all: this shit is expensive

But also I ran out of space. After all the movies and games and books and music and special editions of all my favorite things... I'm not one of minimal antimaterialists or anything, but the simplicity of having basically two apps that lets me listen to everything without having to manage data infrastructure and transfers is just.... Sane

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I finally broke down and preordered it. It seems to be rapidly disappearing and the completionist in me is now satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Good god, can we please not let the Tool subreddit creep into this thread?
    No guarantees. Depends on the quality of the memes.

we can go back to bickering over track count and length if you want.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tool sucks.

There you go I said it.