Page 131 of 263 FirstFirst ... 31 81 121 129 130 131 132 133 141 181 231 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 7873

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I think a lot of people will be disappointed - at first, at least - by the new album.

Not because it's not good.
    Not because it's not great.

But because of how long it's been. Expectations will be too high. We tend to like songs MORE after we've heard them a few times and gotten to know them than we do when we hear them for the first time, although I think many people don't consciously recognize this. But given how long it's been since 10,000 Days came out, people will think that there's been so much work on this that every single second of the album is going to have them on the brink of orgasm or something, and anything less will be a disappointment.

Just hope that people actually give it time before whining about anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm in a good position in that I'm a Tool fan, but not rabid enough that I've been waiting. I rarely think about them unless I hear a song on the radio or someone brings them up. Put it up for pre-order and I'll buy it.

There are bands out there that I'm chomping at the bit for a new release, so I certainly respect those fans.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I heard Descending. It wasn't anything spectacular. But hearing something "new" from Tool, it did felt special. I have high hopes I will enjoy it "for what it is". Hell, I like Moneyshot and Eat the Elephant, so that bar ain't high for me regarding what I want from Maynard. I want more songs to listen to. That's pretty much it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    As long as Danny brings his all it can't be bad. I could listen to a whole album of his percussion solo.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    There will be whining. And there definitely will be trolling right away- probably from people who have to listen to new NIN 250 times... through $1,000.00 headphones... on multiple halucinegens... before finally “getting it”.

Heh.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Speaking of Descending: I see it listed in some places as “A/Descending”. What’s the significance of that, does anyone know?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Speaking of Descending: I see it listed in some places as “A/Descending”. What’s the significance of that, does anyone know?
    Maybe like Ascending / Descending

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    I heard Descending. It wasn't anything spectacular. But hearing something "new" from Tool, it did felt special. I have high hopes I will enjoy it "for what it is". Hell, I like Moneyshot and Eat the Elephant, so that bar ain't high for me regarding what I want from Maynard. I want more songs to listen to. That's pretty much it.
    They debuted riffs of Wings/10,000 Days during the Lateralus tour in the exact same manner they did A/Descending. Based on that, I have high hopes.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I think a lot of people will be disappointed - at first, at least - by the new album.

Not because it's not good.
    Not because it's not great.

But because of how long it's been. Expectations will be too high. We tend to like songs MORE after we've heard them a few times and gotten to know them than we do when we hear them for the first time, although I think many people don't consciously recognize this. But given how long it's been since 10,000 Days came out, people will think that there's been so much work on this that every single second of the album is going to have them on the brink of orgasm or something, and anything less will be a disappointment.

I remember saying 10,000 days was a bomb but now I absolutely love that album. I feel like you need to really soak up the album by listening to it 20x or so before you begin to peel the layers away and understand what they were trying to do/say. I agree that this new album will be very hard to get into based on what I just wrote along with the time gap between albums.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    They debuted riffs of Wings/10,000 Days during the Lateralus tour in the exact same manner they did A/Descending. Based on that, I have high hopes.
    At the time, it was said that they jumped in the studio right after the tour to get down some riffs that they had done on tour. I’m willing to bet it was just something they were using as an interlude and it happened to really sparked something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    I remember saying 10,000 days was a bomb but now I absolutely love that album. I feel like you need to really soak up the album by listening to it 20x or so before you begin to peel the layers away and understand what they were trying to do/say. I agree that this new album will be very hard to get into based on what I just wrote along with the time gap between albums.
    Agreed. Though I will never understand the relevance of Lipan Conjuring and Viginti Tres.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/mjkeenan/status/1083178774152134661

MJK admitting on twitter the band isn't communicating
    Kiss 2020 goodbye for new Tool

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post

Need a "Jump to Conclusions" mat?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

I'm not jumping to conclusions and really I'm not surprised with their working relationship but It does make me rethink some of Maynard's progress updates, like when he says "final vocals tracked months ago"... what does that even mean? Did he and the band actually come to an agreement and lock them in or will they come back later and say.... "uhhh dude yeah... doesn't sit right with us, try again Maynard".

All i can say is I'm glad I'm not a member of this band lol i can just imagine the stress and while I'm pretty easy-going i don't think I'd be zen or patient enough.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I can't imagine that they would be this far along (according to his own reports) and not be able to get over the finish line in the next two years. Of course, I'm new to Tool so I have not been waiting as long as you all have, so maybe I am not appreciating the reality of the situation. Also, I had to chuckle at this Twitter response: "Maybe you guys are doomed to crumble unless you grow and strengthen your communication."

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Are you SERIOUSLY jumping at this? This is classic Maynard trolling on autopilot, jesus.
    Shitty alternative metal clickbait website articles incoming in 3... 2... 1...
    Last edited by fillow; 01-11-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I mean, it’s not like they aren’t states apart with their own families and side projects and companies.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    That’s been their relationship for probably 20 years now. Weird that he tweeted it but it’s not CNN breaking news either.

I doubt the other three members even care about it.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    You can't really jump to conclusions when you're declaring skepticism about a Tool release.

Anyway if he'll freezes over and this thing does come out, my expectations are already quite low. That APC release was so absurdly bad it's hard for me to have any faith in what comes next.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    You can't really jump to conclusions when you're declaring skepticism about a Tool release.

Anyway if he'll freezes over and this thing does come out, my expectations are already quite low. That APC release was so absurdly bad it's hard for me to have any faith in what comes next.
    Sorry, you misspelled “fantastic.”

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I love how people are still insisting that Adam Jones' new album will be terrible because of what they thought of another band that shares the same singer, as though the two are even remotely related at all when it comes to songwriting.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    That’s been their relationship for probably 20 years now. Weird that he tweeted it but it’s not CNN breaking news either.
    Actually, given the kind of trivial celebrity bullshit that CNN would call breaking news......

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

When I read something like that, my mind reminds me of the reworked version of Pushit from Salival. That didn’t just happen spontaneously; a lot of communication would have been involved. Just sounds like the usual Maynard saying Maynard things to get a kick out of speculations.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    They’re all older guys with their own families and side projects. IIRC, Danny had a business and obviously Maynard has his wine, Puscifer, and APC. Maynard live in AZ and I think the other still live in or around LA.

The band has previously said they do share stuff via a Dropbox and are in communication. But I’m willing to bet they don’t text each other all day. Maybe a monthly or weekly phone call.

It’s a generational thing.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post

This all day. I don't think I have given any other album so much benefit of the doubt before, aside from Coheed's new album... They are both stinkers.

Maynard just seems to be doing Maynard things as usual. Stopped looking into his "Cryptic" posts a long time ago...beating the same horse, I'll see it when I see it.

To add... I wouldn't mind every song being at the 10 minute mark. It really depends on what they're going for thematically that warrants such runtimes.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 01-13-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The connection in Jambi between Danny and Justin is incredible! Check from 58:40 until 59:15, Justin signals precisely when Danny hits the electronic drums during the first verse of the song, and then they lock eyes in order for Justin to come in at the right time. Amazing. Completely live! I watched this part on repeat quite a few times

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    MJK trolling fans so hard on twitter these days.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I personally won't be surprised if this is the last Tool record.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I honestly think this won't be the last album. This is their last contracted one, but I imagine they'll do the same thing as TR. Go independent and sign a single album distribution deal when they have new material. That way they don't have the pressure from the fans expecting something the way they do when everyone knows that they're legally obligated to release something. For the last thirteen years everyone knew there was gonna be another album, and people are just impatient. If there's not an expectation of an album they can take all the time they want and release something like TR did. TR took that indefinite NIN hiatus after 2009, then "Hi, here's Hesitation Marks" sort of outta nowhere. If no one is expecting more material there will be less reason for people to whine about how long it takes before they get more material.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    I honestly think this won't be the last album. This is their last contracted one, but I imagine they'll do the same thing as TR. Go independent and sign a single album distribution deal when they have new material. That way they don't have the pressure from the fans expecting something the way they do when everyone knows that they're legally obligated to release something. For the last thirteen years everyone knew there was gonna be another album, and people are just impatient. If there's not an expectation of an album they can take all the time they want and release something like TR did. TR took that indefinite NIN hiatus after 2009, then "Hi, here's Hesitation Marks" sort of outta nowhere. If no one is expecting more material there will be less reason for people to whine about how long it takes before they get more material.
    Yeah, but if you're gonna compare TR and MJK....

MJK has his own band (Puscifer) that he actually has creative control over, his own vineyard (which is not just "my-name-is-on-this"), ANOTHER band to sing in that flies much lower under the radar (APC)...and a severe distaste for "celebrity".

I can see Tool shows continuing at a small trickle for a while still, but I cannot see him being excited to devote any time to new material for it, no matter how much of a driven and heavy worker he is.