Page 1 of 263 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Tool

Not sure if we're going to have a Tool sub-forum again. Use this in the meantime, ja?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    (If the thread gets active enough to warrant the subforum, we'll reinstate it then)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Good idea.

I love Tool, but I would prefer a one-stop shop this time. Plus, I don't think new album anticipative excitement will match that of the 10,000 Days level to need an exclusive forum. (I could be wrong.)

||||||

Have you ever bowled to the sounds of Jimmy?
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-28-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tool = love. All i can say at the moment. Will add collection photo later.

by the way, i have a question for Tool gurus (including but not limited to Ryan)
    if you have the early promo CD with 3 live tracks (Undertow/Flood/Jerk off), i'd be very happy to hear them
    i also read somewhere Flood (live) was a bonus track on japanese edition of Undertow, same recording?

i'm asking because i found out the recordings on Prison sex single differ from those on Tales from the dark side
    [i had this question for a long time, i hope it doesn't really violate "no copyrighted music sharing" rule here ]
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 11-28-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Man it feels like its been 10,000 days since their last album. More TOOL nao, plz.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    I don't think new album anticipative excitement will match that of the 10,000 Days level to need an exclusive forum.
    I started the Tool Hotline because of 10,000 days, and it gets next to no traffic. The Tool fan machine ain't what it used to be.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I can't believe it's been almost six years since the last album. As weird as it sounds, I'm actually glad it takes them so long. It builds the anticipation and makes each album more special.

That being said, I hated 10,000 Days so I hope the next one is better.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    10,000 days was down-right amazing! maybe not as down-right amazing as Lateralus, but it still was a fun record. I think I hated it the firts few listens, it definatly needs to grow on you. But that was the same with Lateralus, that was such a departure from AEnima that I was so shocked when I first heard it, and it definatly took a very long time to get into that style of playing for them. But I can honestly say the latter 2 albums are a million times better then the first 3 (Opiate, Undertow and AEnima). I know that's a pretty bold statement, but I just don't care for their older stuff like I used too.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I started the Tool Hotline because of 10,000 days, and it gets next to no traffic. The Tool fan machine ain't what it used to be.
    Yeah, Lateralus was the pinnacle. I knew deep down it would never get better than that 2001 era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Yeah, Lateralus was the pinnacle. I knew deep down it would never get better than that 2001 era.
    Unfortunately.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm just lucky I caught a show on that tour in 2002, that was a damn good TOOL show!

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Yeah, honestly, I don't expect them to ever top Lateralus. I'd like to be wrong about that, but I doubt it will happen.

That being said, I'm not looking for them to top it. I'd be perfectly happy with a good album; I don't expect them to top themselves now. 10,000 Days was such a massive letdown that I think they can't go anywhere but up at this point.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I didn't know that many people thought 10,000 Days was a let down. I don't like it in it's entirety as much as the other albums, but I really love the first 5 songs, I usually listen to them and then switch to something else.

also <3 The Pot.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I'm just lucky I caught a show on that tour in 2002, that was a damn good TOOL show!
    Yeah, me too! Gotta love silver naked people dangling from chains.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Does Tool even do anything anymore?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    They did an extensive tour in 2009 and 2010, and they're (very, very) slowly working on a new album.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    This may be of interest to some of you.

http://soundcloud.com/revolvermagazi...fourth/s-9gUrz

Feersum Enjinn (Paul D'Amour's new band) Feat. Danny Carey. It's not too bad. Danny is always nice to hear.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The rumor (I believe even from a newsletter) was that first May 2012 was actually going to be the release date for the new album. At this point with MJK still in Puscifer mode I highly doubt it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    The rumor (I believe even from a newsletter) was that first May 2012 was actually going to be the release date for the new album. At this point with MJK still in Puscifer mode I highly doubt it.
    That was the usual Blair sarcasm. It was a May 21/Rapture 'joke'.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Speaking of which...

TOOL NEWSLETTER
    NOVEMBER, 2011 E.V.

At a time when the headlines are dominated by frenzied Amish beard clippers, whooping cough and Occupy Wall Street (Forget that - how about Occupy the Playboy Mansion, all you 69 per centers!), rather than discuss the thawing permafrost, Sandusky, or baffling Gamma ray bursts, how about some exciting TOOL-RELATED NEWS... That's right - while most of you were still digesting your Thanksgiving bird, highly acclaimed recording engineer and producer (not to mention vintage candy aficionado!) 'Evil' Joe Barresi was seated at the mixing console in the band's home studio - the only evidence of the holiday being a bowl of pumpkin-pie cheesecake Kit Kats that was placed there by one of the girls from Tool's business management. Believe it! Hours after your cranberry sauce was still jiggling, members of the band had gathered at the loft to begin tracking. For the sessions, the place looked like a gear-junkie's wet-dream, and with the 'evil' one deftly punching in bars on the remote control, as the night wore on, song after song -in all their musical complexity - were being captured on tape (Yes, tape! For this record, a Studer A827 "Gold Edition" analog tape recorder had been trucked in.) By the time of my much-anticipated arrival on Tuesday, almost all of the tracks were finished, as were the holiday confections. With the loft now littered with empty Tommy's burger wrappers and spent cans of Red Bull, as guitar riffs processed through an antique Echoplex wailed over the KRKs, stories were being told about Danny recently making a daring escape in his orange Lambo from Mastros steakhouse in Beverly Hills (where a side of lobster mashed potatoes goes for $30.00) - the entire thing caught by TMZ's cameras... although the crowd cheers are probably still lying on the proverbial cutting room floor. And now, with you being down to your last leftover turkey sandwich, with but a few overdubs to add, you can bet that the boys will be back at it tonight...

But what about TOOL's new album, you ask? Are they still making progress with the writing and arranging sessions? Will they be working during the holidays as a Gamma ray-mutated pterosaur tramples on foreclosed gingerbread houses? Absolutely! (for the quintillionth time), only with a festive pear-cinnamon cider replacing the Volto! Red Bulls. Actually, I've even seen part of a video from the band's next record - albeit this occurred during a strange time-slip that I recently experienced while pushing a shopping cart down one of the aisles at my local Ralphs (a place where cracks in paratime somehow seem to happen regularly). While looking for *********, I saw some guy wearing a programmable display (UV) TOOL 'video' tee-shirt. Glancing at it, I could hear the haunting sonic structure of one of the new songs accompanied by the bizarre, vibrant, Adam Jones imagery (yes, on the soft, flexible 'screen' material - which, of course, was made from the best quality cloth-plants). Wait a quark-flipping minute! Had I pushed the screeching cart many years into the future? Entranced by the dude's shirt, I watched as purplish amoeba-like things with a tangle of feelers morphed into intensely-colorful creatures. These were frightening, writhing chimeras and other mind-boggling bio-oddities of a demented (er... creative) mind. Were these some kind of "Saucer Wisdom" inspired piezoplastic receivers transmitted from Adam's thought-forms, or had he simply recorded one of his favorite nightmares?

(Had one of the band members themselves appeared in the video, I would have checked to see if any hair was blowing in the wind - just one of several tell-tale signs of a recorded dream.) Either way, how amazing were the images! (Cooler than watching a night janitor at McDonalds on fully charged quantum dot batteries in the flicker of strobe lights).

As I continued to observe the bedizening mental cartoons - snippets of some intricately detailed hyper-animation - I noticed that the guy wearing the Tool shirt was NOW accompanied by band-member semblances (decoy band-member semblances, I wondered?) Recognizing me, the Danny 'semblance' raised a half-full polyglass of some glittering black eagletail. As I was about to acknowledge this wonderful example of encrypted electromagnetic vibrations, I quickly found myself back at the Ralphs of November, 2011 e.v. And guess what happened next? You guessed it. I've heard of MIB types attempting to eat their green Jell-o with a straw, or even sticking a fork into a glass of Dr. Pepper. Hell, I've even seen one of the black hat boojums pay for a Whopper at Burger King with a handful of gleaming silver dollars - not to mention the dude who ordered a "Coke and Olives" at my neighborhood pub. But what this MIB-type did was really a dead giveaway. How so? Well, while at the checkout counter, along with his groceries, 'he' PURCHASED (there on the spot) Ralphs gift cards for $20.00 each (PLUS activation fees), which he wanted to use to pay for everything. Noticing the puzzled look on the cashier's face, I quickly left my stuff on the counter and hurried out of the place... wanting desperately to get back to my enchanted green ball... I mean, to my apartment...

Finally, to address all those Tool tour rumors. A few days ago, I met with the band's management in order to discuss this very thing. Although I wasn't sure if there was any validity to the rumors, I nevertheless told their manager that a small winter tour might not be such a bad thing. However, given my age, I didn't think that I'd be able to attend too many shows as a guest (at least, I wouldn't be able to attend them with the same vigor that I used to). I certainly didn't want to travel on the tour bus, as the bunks hurt my back. Also, my excessive snoring might keep some of the early riser band members awake at night (particularly Danny and Justin). And then there's the issue of the bad weather - both here and in Europe. Some dates in Australia would be okay, but with the recent discovery of an albino trapdoor spider in the land DownUnder, I'd have to rule that out, too. Perhaps some shows in the southern states might be best. Maybe even Texas? How about just a show or two right here in Los Angeles? That would certainly make things easier for me. I might even be able to party like I used to in the good old touring days. Better yet, still, what about an electromagnetic radiation transmitted (as theorized by Rudy Rucker, among others) - reconstituted/manifested Tool concert (including personality wave guests with all-access laminates) anywhere on the entire planet? Now, that would be great!.. Especially with those programmable display tee-shirts available at the Merch booth...

HAPPY TRAILS

Photo by BMB

BMB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to admit, Tool is my favorite band. I haven't been on a forum since ToolArmy died 4 years ago. How many of you guys were ToolArmy members?

I also recommend downloading the Kalamazoo 98 Soundboard for those of you who haven't heard it. Its easily the best audio quality available of any of their live performances. You should be able to find it on any popular Torrent websites.

Btw, no one knows when the hell the new CD will be out. There has been speculation for years. We will hear it when its finished.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    being a fan of Maynard is like being spit on regularly, especially as compared to being a Trent fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Yeah, honestly, I don't expect them to ever top Lateralus. I'd like to be wrong about that, but I doubt it will happen.

That being said, I'm not looking for them to top it. I'd be perfectly happy with a good album; I don't expect them to top themselves now. 10,000 Days was such a massive letdown that I think they can't go anywhere but up at this point.
    10,000 Days is my second favorite Tool album after Aenima. Lateralus has the best individual tracks I guess but there's just so much pointless filler on there. 10,000 Days was all... music.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    being a fan of Maynard is like being spit on regularly, especially as compared to being a Trent fan.
    That is such a great way of putting it.

I hate the fact that they rarely, if at all, come down far enough south to Florida when on tour. MJK makes no bones about the fact that he hates Florida. At a Puscifer show in Atlanta he told me and a friend (we went b/c her family is up there and we did a last minute roadtrip) that Florida is a cesspool of death. He told that shit to us with a straight face like he meant it.

That made me feel oh so great. I mean, FL does suck...but c'mon...don't give us the shaft when you tour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think Tool is the only band I know of whose fans get so personally offended and angry when the band doesn't do exactly what they want them to do, but if they're recording again that's awesome.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by think i'm a fire engine View Post
    I think Tool is the only band I know of whose fans get so personally offended and angry when the band doesn't do exactly what they want them to do, but if they're recording again that's awesome.
    Check out thecomatorium.com wheere you'll fnd many mars volta fans enraged over the fact that they haven't released an album since 2009. They even had no less than 10 solo releases last year.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by think i'm a fire engine View Post
    I don't think it's that, I think it's the fact that the band seems to actively mock and humiliate their fans for wanting to hear new music. (See: pretty much every Toolband Newsletter.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Check out thecomatorium.com wheere you'll fnd many mars volta fans enraged over the fact that they haven't released an album since 2009. They even had no less than 10 solo releases last year.
    Not to get off topic but I'm not surprised to hear that. The Mars Volta have usually released an album approximately every year and a half since Deloused in '03 and it's been 2 and a half since Octahedron. The new album is well overdue

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    ^^ Yes, and they've been performing the new material for like a year now.. Nobody really knows what's up with it. 2 and a half years since octahedron, but there were, like I said a TON of Omar solo releases last year. All of those were awesome.

Anyway, that's ages for Volta fans, but nothing in comparison to what the Tools have to deal with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lateralus used to be my favorite album. But over last 6 yrs I've come back around on Ænima. I even like Undertow more too over Lateralus I think.

10,000 Days is good, had some strong songs; Vicarious, Jambi, Rosetta, title track, but fillers, too many spacious moments fillers. Like they tried too hard after Lateralus. Weird is how all leading up to the release, them and reviewers kept saying how heavy it was constantly. I was looking forward to more in your face aggressive style again, with those spacious moments.
    Last edited by Dissonance; 12-06-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I don't think it's that, I think it's the fact that the band seems to actively mock and humiliate their fans for wanting to hear new music. (See: pretty much every Toolband Newsletter.)
    I wouldn't count the newsletters as the band mocking fans, but Blair, who is an asshole. Maynard can be an asshole as well, but I think he's coming around lately. Other than Maynard, I've only ever really read interviews or anything from Danny, aside from one interview with Adam about the guitar work on 10,000 Days. That being said, I only concern myself with real news so I stopped reading the newsletter shortly after I started.

Edit: I want to address the issue of "fillers."

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Dorbell View Post
    10,000 Days is my second favorite Tool album after Aenima. Lateralus has the best individual tracks I guess but there's just so much pointless filler on there. 10,000 Days was all... music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
    10,000 Days is good, had some strong songs; Vicarious, Jambi, Rosetta, title track, but fillers, too many spacious moments fillers. Like they tried too hard after Lateralus. Weird is how all leading up to the release, them and reviewers kept saying how heavy it was constantly. I was looking forward to more in your face aggressive style again, with those spacious moments.

Undertow Ænima Lateralus 10,000 Days
    Total Songs 9 9 7* or 10** 6* or 8**
    Filler Tracks 1 6 3 3
    Total Running Time 67:05 77:23 78:51 75:50
    Without Filler Tracks 52:18 66:15 71:57¹ 65:51
    Average Song Length ~6.5 min ~7.36min ~10.28min ~10.98min

*The way I listen to these albums, I have combined songs that absolutely should not be split up, even though they are separate tracks on the albums.
    ** While I can see the argument for Parabol, Triad, or Intension being considered filler, I absolutely believe they are necessary companion pieces the songs that come before them.
    ¹ I even took the liberty of subtracting the empty 2 minutes at the end of Triad.

As you can see, Lateralus has the longest running time when you remove the filler. The band calls them segues and uses them as a transition between songs. In many cases, I have combined these with the songs themselves, but I recognize that they are not necessary in all of these cases. I do, however, find it necessary to keep some of these together and thus included them in the running times above. When looking at if from this point of view, the number of actual songs per album decreases but the average song length increases. Lateralus is still the longest, and unless you consider some of the actual songs themselves to be filler, I don't understand the argument that it has too much. It certainly doesn't have the whopping 11 minutes that Ænima has, and you said that it's your second favorite album, Emil. I'm not saying that running time should be indicative of your favorite, but you claim that is has more filler than 10,000 Days, which just isn't true. If you're going to call 10,000 Days all music, then you have to loosely interpret the word music if you wish to include Viginti Tres and Lost Keys. And if you're going to include those two, why can't you include Eon Blue Apocalypse? It is a beautiful little intro to The Patient and is definitely considered music.

The filler on 10,000 Days doesn't seem to be excessive either. Not when considering that Viginti Tres comes in at 5 minutes itself, making up for half the filler on the album (as I defined it). This shouldn't really be an issue since it comes at the end of the album and we are still left with over an hour of music. Sure, waiting 6 years for an hour of music can be seen as a bit of a let down, but if you consider that at least Maynard put out other material during this time it isn't so bad. Plus the band says they like to take a couple years off and do other things so they can grow individually before they come back together to make new music. Seems like a valid reason for the wait to me, and being a NIN fan I can't really say I'm not used to waiting 5+ years for a new album. As for 10,000 Days being heavy; I don't specifically recall that term being used to describe the whole album. I recall it being described as dense, and individual songs being called heavy, and there are some. Not heavy in a Death Metal sense, but as heavy as we could reasonably expect from Tool.
    Last edited by Goldfoot; 12-07-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Fuck yeah tables!!