Page 7 of 264 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Having a different opinion is fine, it's just having a shitty attitude about it that's not cool (EDIT: lookin' at you, bobbie solo).
    right, cuz Maynard's attitude about Tool has just been so positive over the past 7 or so years, how could i NOT be more excited about them as a band....RIGHT???

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    right, cuz Maynard's attitude about Tool has just been so positive over the past 7 or so years, how could i NOT be more excited about them as a band....RIGHT???

What does Maynard have to do with anything? You know he's just a singer, right? Literally the least important aspect of the band.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Are you being sarcastic?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    Are you being sarcastic?
    Me? Yes, I consider Maynard the least important aspect of the band. Not like that even matters, because he was very into the Reno show. So even if he fucking hates Tool, he's not showing it on stage, and that's all that matters.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Maynard's contribution is what makes the band palatable to a mass audience and therefore a viable independent entity. Vitally important. He also attempts to repel the slobbering sycophants with sarcasm, without as much success.
    Last edited by botley; 01-17-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I've noticed this too. It is certainly not a function of the fine work you've done on the Hotline over the years.

My theory is that we've become too jaded as an online music culture for bands like Tool. When everything in the world is a file on a computer it is just too hard to get into a long contemplative track or (God forbid) a whole album.

Not saying that this in and of itself is good or bad. It is just a shame because so many of us were introduced to new concepts and ways of looking at the world through this band.

The part that upsets me the most is that in the leadup to the follow-up to Lateralus, I distinctly recall saying to a friend at the time "how on earth are they going to make something better than Lateralus?" and I had a feeling things would go downhill. Circa 2001-2003/2004 things were still kind of "special" in the music world. There were surprises to be had and so on. It's only been in approximately the last five or six years that everything has become jaded, as you mentioned. There's this sudden lack of mystery. Now on YouTube you can see footage of a gig literally right after it's over, or while it's happening in high quality. You see candid sides of Maynard on his property in Arizona. And the crumbling point, at least directly in terms of Maynard's downfall, was immediately apparent: the release of The Outsider "video". Everything went downhill and lacking in quality after that.

I think you all get the general gist of what I'm saying. There was a definite altering point somewhere there. I feel as though everything essentially post 2004 or 2005 saw a real decline in our appreciation for music and we just got to see too much. Or more than we want to know or should know about artists. I think that's the problem with Tool now. When we didn't have access to twitter or being essentially able to see inside Maynard's ass hole via the web, when it was all more of a distant, mysterious type thing and we didn't know what to expect... those were the days.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ***SPOILER for this tour*** Proof that he's human.

I'm not knocking him, I just think that's pretty funny.

That all being said, the music sounds GREAT, but his singing is awful. I know he can't sing as high any more, I get that, but damn. It doesn't sound right at all in a lower octave.
    Last edited by theruiner; 01-18-2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: God damn BBCode never works right

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I noticed watching some of the Reno videos that Maynard missed alot of the lines and the timing. Music sounds awesome though.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    The music does, indeed, sound great, and Carey continues to blow me away. How that dude can still drum like that at 50 (I think he's 50...right?) is beyond me.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Here is an album with all the tour posters so far. I'll add more as the tour continues. Even though it seems the huge majority of people in this thread are anti-Tool...

http://imgur.com/a/lc4XM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like the part where they misspelled Albuquerque.

I'm quite looking forward to any new music from them, though. I actually really appreciated 10,000 Days.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I would sell my kidney and name my firstborn after you for that stick.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by denuir View Post
    I like the part where they misspelled Albuquerque.
    people misspell that all the time, but b/c of that fact, you'd think SOMEONE would have thought to double/triple check it before going to the printers. rush job, but kinda funny.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    and this is why "print your own" tickets are ridiculous to me, if youre trying to do the whole keepsake thing. that looks goofy. not your fault, but thats why i never do it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD View Post
    I would sell my kidney and name my firstborn after you for that stick.
    Dude, you couldn't believe how happy I was when I caught that thing. Perks of being somewhat tall. I also elbowed the other guy trying for it in the head on the way down. I don't think I've ever jumped that high.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    and this is why "print your own" tickets are ridiculous to me, if youre trying to do the whole keepsake thing. that looks goofy. not your fault, but thats why i never do it.
    I agree, but a friend bought the ticket for me and there wasn't enough time to get hard tickets mailed to him, and then mailed to me.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by denuir View Post
    I'm quite looking forward to any new music from them, though.
    That would be nice. I get the funny feeling it won't be out until early next year. I hope I'm wrong, though. It's kind of hard to believe we're coming up on six years since the last album. It doesn't seem like that long.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    http://www.fourtheye.net/ has been updated

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Dallas tour posters added, with artwork done by Adam Jones.

http://imgur.com/a/lc4XM
    Last edited by Harry Seaward; 01-19-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone have a spare ticket for the Philly show? I'd rather not go thru Stubhub.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Hey I figure you guys hadn't seen this yet because it comes from my local paper.... in the opinion column

Last night I worked a Tool concert. For those not familiar with them, Tool is a heavy metal band of spoiled brats. They held a meeting with us (I am an Usher) prior to the event and threatened to have us all fired if we did not keep everyone in their seats and if they saw anyone taking pictures or videotaping the show. Oh-and their organ player does not like to be watch or looked at, so we were not allowed in to prep our areas, or even to clock in because he was doing his sound check. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like being a rock star is an interesting career choice for someone who doesn't like to be looked at....

We lost complete control of the concert the minute the music started. The fans were up on the stairs and dancing in the aisles and even trying to stand in their seats. EVERYONE was taking photos and videos with their cell phones. there was a lot of drinking going on (big surprise), and I had a group (as in more than one) throwing up all over the seats and people in front of them. I was elbowed in the face, pushed down the stairs and even spit on by folks who didn't want to go back to their seats.....
    It goes on without anything else notable.

Of course, while she should have known what to expect, it was a dick move for Tool to threaten to get the Ushers fired, and it sounds like the audience at a Tool show completely sucks to deal with...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Of course, while she should have known what to expect, it was a dick move for Tool to threaten to get the Ushers fired, and it sounds like the audience at a Tool show completely sucks to deal with...
    Sounds like that guy is a drama queen.

And Tool is a big show that draws a lot of attendance. I think they have to right to do things their way.

Regarding the audience, I talked with a few of the venue guys at the show I went to, and they said that the crowd was unbelievably chill for such a big rock concert. Sounds like your city is just filled with apes.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Sounds like that guy is a drama queen.

And Tool is a big show that draws a lot of attendance. I think they have to right to do things their way.

Regarding the audience, I talked with a few of the venue guys at the show I went to, and they said that the crowd was unbelievably chill for such a big rock concert. Sounds like your city is just filled with apes.

It was a middle aged woman, and I figure the show was probably in Oakland or something, Tool definately did not come to Monterey, unless I missed something big.

As for the right to do things their way... sure, but do they really have to threaten to get them fired? that's such an asshole way of going about things. It's not like they're the fucking olympic pantheon. They're five millionaires making music, they don't have to put down the little guy that's just trying to help...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    As for the right to do things their way... sure, but do they really have to threaten to get them fired? that's such an asshole way of going about things. It's not like they're the fucking olympic pantheon. They're five millionaires making music, they don't have to put down the little guy that's just trying to help...
    Probably just scare tactics to get them to take it seriously. They're artists, if that's what it takes for them to put on a kick-ass show, then so be it. It's for the crowd more than anything.

P.S. Tool only has four members.

P.P.S She called Maynard the 'organ player', that's hilarious.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

P.S. Tool only has four members.

P.P.S She called Maynard the 'organ player', that's hilarious.
    Ha! That makes sense. I love tool and all, but I don't follow they're absolute every move. When she mentioned the Organ player I thought, "I don't remember them having an organ player, but okay." and so I said five, because I thought the organ player was, in fact, the fifth member. I imagined him being an extra reclusive guy that I had just never heard of.

Oh, dear.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    She added, "And the organ player was having some sort of seizure the whole concert! He was flopping around and acting weird. It was crazy."

By the way, threatening to have the ushers fired (if that is indeed what happened) makes them all blatant assholes. Period. No other way around it. I don't care if they want to make it a "kick-ass show," they're completely in the wrong. It's called being an out of touch millionaire rock star who thinks the world owes them everything. Fuck entitlement.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    She added, "And the organ player was having some sort of seizure the whole concert! He was flopping around and acting weird. It was crazy."

By the way, threatening to have the ushers fired (if that is indeed what happened) makes them all blatant assholes. Period. No other way around it. I don't care if they want to make it a "kick-ass show," they're completely in the wrong. It's called being an out of touch millionaire rock star who thinks the world owes them everything. Fuck entitlement.
    I'm pretty sure Tool has held that same opinion long before they were millionaires. It's just that now that they're big, they have the authority to command that.

Entitlement? What exactly are they gaining out of doing that, besides a reasonable work space? Who would want to go see Tool if they were just pissed off at the crowd the whole time for being annoying assholes?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Also, from now on, I will refer to Maynard as Tool's organ player. It works on so many levels.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure Tool has held that same opinion long before they were millionaires. It's just that now that they're big, they have the authority to command that.
    Oh, so they were assholes before they were millionaires. But now they have the power (or at least the appearance of it) to fire people who are making ten bucks an hour and they're throwing their weight around to make sure those ten dollar an hour ushers know that they could have them fired. Yeah, nothing wrong with that.

Entitlement? What exactly are they gaining out of doing that, besides a reasonable work space? Who would want to go see Tool if they were just pissed off at the crowd the whole time for being annoying assholes?
    They feel they're entitled to have the crowd be just how they want it, and if not, then they feel that they can threaten to take people's jobs over it. Maybe, and this is a crazy thought, but maybe they can act like professionals who have been playing music for twenty years, and realize that there are 18,000 people in front of them and no amount of security in the world is going to stop everyone from filming with their camera phones. Because it's the year 2012 and everyone has a camera on their phone and instead of threatening the people they perceive to be far, far below them, they should accept the world we live in now and stop pretending it's 1992 and just focus on putting on a good show. They could have, nicely (I know that's probably a crazy concept for them) had a quick meeting and said, hey everyone, please just try to help us out with the camera phone thing as best you can. When you're nice to people, you'd be surprised how willing they are to help you out, not out of fear but because they actually want to help you. Instead of, you know, abusing your perceived "power" and trying to scare a bunch of people making a fraction of your income because you're a big rock star and you can do that. How you can defend a bunch of rich rock stars acting like assholes to the "regular" people just trying to make an honest living is beyond me.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Honestly, I'd say a 20+ year old band has more experience dealing with venue jockeys than you do.

But I suppose you have a bit of a point. It is an asshole move. But I'm fine with that, they can be assholes to whoever they want as long as they come out on stage and melt my face. I don't think it's much of a surprise that Tool are pricks.