Page 262 of 264 FirstFirst ... 162 212 252 260 261 262 263 264 LastLast
Results 7,831 to 7,860 of 7892

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    They low-key released a 30th Anniversary Undertow at the Idaho Falls show last night, CD with signatures for $500. A pass for me but the artwork is cool, Art direction by Justin for a change and packaging by Mackie, photos here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ToolBand/comme ... niversary/

Plus a couple days ago they announced a US Winter 2024 tour, tickets going on sale today at 10 am.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That looks really nice! Not for me though at that price point. Any word on bonus tracks or anything extra? That's what I'd be most interested in

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    They low-key released a 30th Anniversary Undertow at the Idaho Falls show last night, CD with signatures for $500. A pass for me but the artwork is cool, Art direction by Justin for a change and packaging by Mackie, photos here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ToolBand/comme ... niversary/

Plus a couple days ago they announced a US Winter 2024 tour, tickets going on sale today at 10 am.
    4… infinity symbol? What happened to it being 4 degrees?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The CD looks neat. Put it in a regular shop at a reasonable price and I’ll buy it. I’m nowhere near any of the stops on this tour, though, and don’t need a $500 signed copy.

Give me some B-sides or something and we’ll talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    That looks really nice! Not for me though at that price point. Any word on bonus tracks or anything extra? That's what I'd be most interested in
    Nothing of this sort, this is Tool we're talking about. It'd be easy to include demos and live recordings but nope. These will only be available during the 2023-2024 US tour, no signs that they'll have an unsigned version (same thing with the Opiate re-release, only signed CD version, no bonus material). How can there be a market for this type of release is beyond me, with $500 I'd buy a plane ticket for a holiday, not a CD that I already own.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I know they didn't do this every night of the current leg of the tour, but imagine showing up & getting this utter garbage of a set:

Alot of nights were getting some variation of this, where the only difference would be which older classic song they would play in the Stinkfist position above. I'd be livid if this dreck is what i got, but at this point Tool live is very much buyer beware as it's not a secret how bad their setlists can be. That much FI material at this point is ridiculous imo...the record is over four years old now. And that "encore"! Fuck outta here with that. The unmitigated GAUL!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    ^^
    That setlist is a fucking blast.
    You want them play greatest hits? You had 10 years or pre-Fear touring of that.
    You want them to play Undertow-heavy set with H. and d/r/t for the encore? You know damn well it ain't happening.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    ^^
    That setlist is a fucking blast.
    You want them play greatest hits? You had 10 years or pre-Fear touring of that.
    You want them to play Undertow-heavy set with H. and d/r/t for the encore? You know damn well it ain't happening.
    No, I wouldn't say "greatest hits". I don't expect or want Lateralus into Vicarious into Schism into Prison Sex into Sober into Aenema and then we all go home. But there's a large middle ground imo between that, and what I posted above, where the majority of the setlist is made up of five very long & very boring FI songs (and not the one good one, Tempest), and then CC Trip, which is just nonsense. And again, playing all that FI material made alot more sense in 2019, 2020 & 2021. It's bullshit at this point.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    No, I wouldn't say "greatest hits". I don't expect or want Lateralus into Vicarious into Schism into Prison Sex into Sober into Aenema and then we all go home. But there's a large middle ground imo between that, and what I posted above, where the majority of the setlist is made up of five very long & very boring FI songs (and not the one good one, Tempest), and then CC Trip, which is just nonsense. And again, playing all that FI material made alot more sense in 2019, 2020 & 2021. It's bullshit at this point.
    Me checking in on various threads this morning turned into a game of Why Is Bobbie Solo Mad At Everything?

On one hand, I'm with fillow that that setlist sounds great. Sure, 7empest would be fun live, but I like all the other FI songs in the setlist better, so I'm certainly happy to hear those instead. We're obviously both welcome to our opinion, but you may be in the minority thinking that's not a perfectly acceptable setlist.

On the other hand, and more to your point, Tool is a band that puts out an album once a generation but tours almost every year. So yeah, setlist-wise, it all starts to feel pretty same-y. When NIN tours, I'm figuring out whether to go to one show or several, but when Tool tours, I'm figuring out whether to bother this time or wait for the next one. But that has more to do with them touring so much without putting out new material more than anything. Short of maybe something like playing Aenima or Lateralus in full, I don't know that I could imagine a setlist that would make me go, "oh, I *have* to see them this time."

But I think a lot of people going to a Tool show don't really care what the setlist is. A Tool show is kind of a holistic mood-and-lighting-fueled experience more than just hoping the band plays their latest single or your favorite song from your teen years. Obviously there are people who want that, too, but especially when their setlists aren't wildly different from tour to tour, I think a lot of people go in just being happy with whatever set they get.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    How can there be a market for this type of release is beyond me, with $500 I'd buy a plane ticket for a holiday, not a CD that I already own.
    The market is for people who don't have to buy plane tickets because they've got so many points from business travel that they haven't paid for a hotel or a flight for personal use in years. I actually think Tool does okay balancing things out between cost conscious fans and people who are more aligned with spending big money to support the band. I bought FI from HDtracks on FLAC. I thought the physical offerings were ridiculous, but some people like that more than me. I'm 44 years old and live in an 1100sqft apartment full (FULL) of stuff, I don't have room for tchotchkes, whether they're $75 or $500. At that price point, I'd almost rather buy direct from the visual artist than through a proxy like a band.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I mean, yeah, it's a bit FI intense for me, but still, I'm not complaining. We get both Jambi and the Pot? Sick, yo.

Last night in BC they got something similar, but they seem to be adding another classic song to the end of the set:

Fear Inoculum
    Jambi
    The Pot
    Rosetta Stoned
    Pneuma
    Descending
    Intolerance
    The Grudge

Intermission

Chocolate Chip Trip
    Culling Voices
    Invincible
    Stinkfist
    I'd be pretty happy with that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    All I'll say is thank fuck my FIL gets me into any Rogers Arena event for free. Didn't bother checking prices for tonight's show until this morning and ooooooooof. Heading out now...should be fun!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Me checking in on various threads this morning turned into a game of Why Is Bobbie Solo Mad At Everything?
    i got a lot to say! Alot of nothing to say!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    i got a lot to say! Alot of nothing to say!
    Come down!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    I mean, yeah, it's a bit FI intense for me, but still, I'm not complaining. We get both Jambi and the Pot? Sick, yo.

Last night in BC they got something similar, but they seem to be adding another classic song to the end of the set:

I'd be pretty happy with that.

I think I’ve listened to The Pot about 7 times since 2006.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, that was a TOOL show.

My favorite part was like 10 min in right before Jambi. MJK says 'Finally!.....Vancouver!' *mild cheer* '.....Vancouver?!' *slightly louder cheer* '.....work on it.'

Who knows, maybe dropping like $300+ on a seat sorta dampens the mood a bit!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Last edited by pulse; 11-10-2023 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Europe 2024

May 25th - Hannover, DE - ZAG Arena
    May 27th - Amsterdam, NL - Ziggo Dome
    May 30th - Birmingham, UK - Resorts World Arena
    June 1st - Manchester, UK - AO Arena
    June 3rd - London, UK - The O2
    June 5th - Paris, FR - Accor Arena
    June 8th - Berlin, DE - Parkbühne Wuhlheide
    June 10th - Wien, AT - Wiener Stadthalle
    June 11th - Kraków, PL - Tauron Arena
    June 13th - Budapest, HU - Budapestarena
    June 15th - Firenze, IT - Firenze Rocks
    June 18th - Köln, DE - Lanxess Arena
    June 20th - Dessel, BE - Graspop Metal Meeting
    June 22nd - Copenhagen, DK - Copenhell
    June 25th - Stockholm, SE - Tele2 Arena
    June 27th - Oslo, NO - Tons of Rock Festival

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Well, it's been literal decades since I first got into this band, somewhere between Ænima and Lateralus, back in late high school. I think I posted earlier in this thread that somehow the stars never aligned quite right and for one reason or another, be it funds or timing or my not being into 10KD at all for the first few years after it came out, I never got to see them live until tonight. So take my perspective on the show and setlist for what it's worth, someone for whom Tool's always been a band I hold in high esteem - just not one of my favorites of all time or anything, I listen to them only occasionally nowadays compared to when I regularly marathoned their catalog in the early 2000s.

So first. Show in and of itself was awesome, even from the nosebleeds. I believe I was told earlier that there was really no such thing as a bad seat at a Tool show, and yeah, I definitely see that. Across the venue from the stage and nearly all the way up the band were obviously marginally visible, but even so, I could make out everyone okay (Except Maynard, who I knew going in would stick to the dark, as he does all the time now), and of course the giant psychedelic display was the logical eye-catcher from my position. Maynard sounded really good, whole band tight as fuck, really great. Glad I had earbuds in the pocket because holy shit that was loud.

Setlist:

Fear Inoculum
    Jambi
    Lost Keys intro/Rosetta Stoned
    Pneuma
    Intolerance
    Descending
    The Grudge

Intermission

Chocolate Chip Trip
    Culling Voices
    Invincible
    Forty Six & 2

I know that there are folks - in this thread I'm sure - and religious Tool devotees who've seen them more times than they can count. I'm sure many of the wishes that we've levied - I myself have in the past - at Trent to not play Closer or HLAH or Hurt or whathaveyou have their equivalents here - I'm sure some of you guys might be rolling your eyes at Forty Six & 2 perhaps, and I obviously get it. But being on the other side of that, it was all a new live experience for me, so I'm in the position of "I don't give a shit what's played, expected or otherwise", for the most part. Nowadays I try to keep in mind every concert is probably someone's first time - and I hope I didn't look like a filthy casual poser or whathaveyou headbanging to Forty Six - but I don't care. I had my period where it got overplayed and I got tired of it, same with Schism, but seeing it live for the first time is something else, so yeah, I'm pretty happy about the setlist.

Except.

...look, I don't hate Fear Inoculum or anything. It's a fine album. But after the honeymoon period wore off I didn't revisit it anywhere near as often as I did, say, Eat The Elephant. Tool have gotten proggier and proggier and the songs have gotten longer and longer and we're more serious and introspective and all that because we're older now. I get it. But in the first place it takes a certain kind of energy, or headspace, for me to listen to albums like that. Call it attention deficit or my being a product of a radio singles generation, whatever. Personally, I would not fill a setlist full of 80% of your new album regardless of song length, but when they're over 10 minutes each I can't help but think "you know, dropping just one of these would have left room for two other songs". When I went to see the Pumpkins in 2012 - and anyone who knows how often I post in that thread when stuff's happening knows how hard into them I am - I was rolling my damn eyes that Billy was playing all of Oceania front to back before he trotted out the familiar stuff. This isn't quite to that level of "you're gonna listen to the whole thing and like it" - I can completely understand that maybe you've played that older stuff on and off for years and now you're all about the newer thing you've made. That's where your energy's at. I respect that. But maybe...not quite this much? Not asking for blown vocal cords through Ticks and Leeches or anything or half of Undertow...just sayin'. Maybe grab something off of Gay Rodeo or Spring Boner, I dunno.

Maybe I've just come in at a weird/transitory time. Looking at setlist.fm I can see that stuff like Stinkfist and Sober are way up there in terms of plays, which I suppose was more along the lines of what I was expecting - which was nothing specific, I went in blind. I've never followed Tool live to any real degree, I have no idea if stuff's been dropped for years or not for one reason or another. I get the band is now very different from what it once was...but anyway, I guess this is all just a long winded way of saying I hope we don't go so far into proggy, epic territory that we forget that the shorter stuff rips hard too, be they hits or no.

Anyway, to reiterate, I really did have a blast. I thrashed out during Rosetta Stoned like I was 20 and I'm gonna pay for it tomorrow, fuck.

Choice bits of banter, aside from the obvious Happy Birthday to Justin

"Montreal, you can do better than that. One more chance, and then I''m gonna start calling you Toronto."

(After a Phones In Your Pocket request/warning) "...or we will come down there....and kick you in the vagina. And if you do not have a vagina...we will come down there and install one for you. And then kick you in it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alex Lifeson came out and played Jambi with them at the Toronto show last night!

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    With a sizeable intro (and the entire solo!) from "A Passage to Bangkok". Pretty cool, wonder if he'll be back again tonight?

(I just bought a ticket so I can find out)
    Last edited by botley; 11-21-2023 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Oops, they did it again!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Great show tonight.

My personal highlights were a lot of the older stuff too.

I hate to be that guy too, but I realized something at the show. I like the songs from FI, but I don't like them all the way through.

And I mean that seeing them live, I liked the songs but they felt like they went on for too long. Which made me realize that when I'm listening to them at home, I don't usually let the song finish.

I like the song, but they feel like they overstay their welcome.

Still, great show.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    I like the songs, but they feel like they overstay their welcome.
    I think we can blame Danny for that (and Chocolate Chip Trip). Wanting to make the whole album one song and all that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I went to both of the last two nights and really enjoyed myself. Band was tight. And I didn’t mind the FI/10k days heavy set list per se. But one track from Aenima and one from Lateralus is pretty egregious.

I feel like a few small tweaks to the set would really take it into ethereal levels of sonic assault. And I think we all agree CC trip after a 12 minute break and then the Culling Voices extended intro becomes 30 minutes plus of zero momentum. So by the time Maynard says welcome back it’s like there’s no build up and then it just ends. if they had done something like the set below, it would really have been a peak performance worth the full value of the overpriced tickets. Maynard gets enough down time in the set, it really does milk it a little much with the current encore set up.

Fear Innoculum
    46 & 2 or Stinkfist
    Rosetta Stoned
    Pneuma
    Descending
    The Grudge or Parabola
    Jambi
    Lateralus
    - 5 Min Intermission -
    Pushit
    Invincible
    7empest or The Pot
    Aenima

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    12 minute intermission is kinda the perfect length, but I really dislike "Culling Voices" and agree that it kills the momentum.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    12 minute intermission is kinda the perfect length, but I really dislike "Culling Voices" and agree that it kills the momentum.
    It’s grown on me significantly and by the time I saw them I felt like it going from quiet to heavy pretty perfectly set the tone for the remainder of the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    You know, whether you like FI or not, you gotta give the band credit for actually touring in support of the new album. Unlike so many bands these days that crank out album after album, only to go ahead and play greatest hits + two or three newest singles on any given tour.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    You know, whether you like FI or not, you gotta give the band credit for actually touring in support of the new album. Unlike so many bands these days that crank out album after album, only to go ahead and play greatest hits + two or three newest singles on any given tour.
    I agree with your sentiments here. Too many times, you’ll see a legacy band touring on a shit record and they’ll play like one song off it. So at least these guys are committed to the newer material (or perhaps MJK just can’t pull off certain songs anymore). Weapon out and belly in indeed..

Having said that all that, by the time Tool’s current tour dates are over, Fear Inoculum will be 5 years old!!! Hell, even Metallica didn’t tour the fucking black album for 5 years. So there’s always a bit of “who the hell do these guys think they are” when it comes to Tool.