Thread: Tool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think Tool is the only band I know of whose fans get so personally offended and angry when the band doesn't do exactly what they want them to do, but if they're recording again that's awesome.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by think i'm a fire engine View Post
    I think Tool is the only band I know of whose fans get so personally offended and angry when the band doesn't do exactly what they want them to do, but if they're recording again that's awesome.
    Check out thecomatorium.com wheere you'll fnd many mars volta fans enraged over the fact that they haven't released an album since 2009. They even had no less than 10 solo releases last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Check out thecomatorium.com wheere you'll fnd many mars volta fans enraged over the fact that they haven't released an album since 2009. They even had no less than 10 solo releases last year.
    Not to get off topic but I'm not surprised to hear that. The Mars Volta have usually released an album approximately every year and a half since Deloused in '03 and it's been 2 and a half since Octahedron. The new album is well overdue

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by think i'm a fire engine View Post
    I don't think it's that, I think it's the fact that the band seems to actively mock and humiliate their fans for wanting to hear new music. (See: pretty much every Toolband Newsletter.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I don't think it's that, I think it's the fact that the band seems to actively mock and humiliate their fans for wanting to hear new music. (See: pretty much every Toolband Newsletter.)
    I wouldn't count the newsletters as the band mocking fans, but Blair, who is an asshole. Maynard can be an asshole as well, but I think he's coming around lately. Other than Maynard, I've only ever really read interviews or anything from Danny, aside from one interview with Adam about the guitar work on 10,000 Days. That being said, I only concern myself with real news so I stopped reading the newsletter shortly after I started.

Edit: I want to address the issue of "fillers."

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Dorbell View Post
    10,000 Days is my second favorite Tool album after Aenima. Lateralus has the best individual tracks I guess but there's just so much pointless filler on there. 10,000 Days was all... music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
    10,000 Days is good, had some strong songs; Vicarious, Jambi, Rosetta, title track, but fillers, too many spacious moments fillers. Like they tried too hard after Lateralus. Weird is how all leading up to the release, them and reviewers kept saying how heavy it was constantly. I was looking forward to more in your face aggressive style again, with those spacious moments.

Undertow Ænima Lateralus 10,000 Days
    Total Songs 9 9 7* or 10** 6* or 8**
    Filler Tracks 1 6 3 3
    Total Running Time 67:05 77:23 78:51 75:50
    Without Filler Tracks 52:18 66:15 71:57¹ 65:51
    Average Song Length ~6.5 min ~7.36min ~10.28min ~10.98min

*The way I listen to these albums, I have combined songs that absolutely should not be split up, even though they are separate tracks on the albums.
    ** While I can see the argument for Parabol, Triad, or Intension being considered filler, I absolutely believe they are necessary companion pieces the songs that come before them.
    ¹ I even took the liberty of subtracting the empty 2 minutes at the end of Triad.

As you can see, Lateralus has the longest running time when you remove the filler. The band calls them segues and uses them as a transition between songs. In many cases, I have combined these with the songs themselves, but I recognize that they are not necessary in all of these cases. I do, however, find it necessary to keep some of these together and thus included them in the running times above. When looking at if from this point of view, the number of actual songs per album decreases but the average song length increases. Lateralus is still the longest, and unless you consider some of the actual songs themselves to be filler, I don't understand the argument that it has too much. It certainly doesn't have the whopping 11 minutes that Ænima has, and you said that it's your second favorite album, Emil. I'm not saying that running time should be indicative of your favorite, but you claim that is has more filler than 10,000 Days, which just isn't true. If you're going to call 10,000 Days all music, then you have to loosely interpret the word music if you wish to include Viginti Tres and Lost Keys. And if you're going to include those two, why can't you include Eon Blue Apocalypse? It is a beautiful little intro to The Patient and is definitely considered music.

The filler on 10,000 Days doesn't seem to be excessive either. Not when considering that Viginti Tres comes in at 5 minutes itself, making up for half the filler on the album (as I defined it). This shouldn't really be an issue since it comes at the end of the album and we are still left with over an hour of music. Sure, waiting 6 years for an hour of music can be seen as a bit of a let down, but if you consider that at least Maynard put out other material during this time it isn't so bad. Plus the band says they like to take a couple years off and do other things so they can grow individually before they come back together to make new music. Seems like a valid reason for the wait to me, and being a NIN fan I can't really say I'm not used to waiting 5+ years for a new album. As for 10,000 Days being heavy; I don't specifically recall that term being used to describe the whole album. I recall it being described as dense, and individual songs being called heavy, and there are some. Not heavy in a Death Metal sense, but as heavy as we could reasonably expect from Tool.
    Last edited by Goldfoot; 12-07-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Fuck yeah tables!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I don't really like them that much...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    I don't really like them that much...
    Well, what a fantastic first post. Welcome to ets, you'll fit right in here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone going to the Denver show in October 2016? I'm looking for a nonscalper ticket so in other words, not having spend a week's pay on a ticket.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    If you go to 2019 in the tour archives and click on "Load More" at the bottom, these dates magically appear on the site:

FEBRUARY 27 2022 KEYBANK CENTER Buffalo, NY
    MARCH 01 2022 PPG PAINTS ARENA Pittsburgh, PA
    MARCH 03 2022 LITTLE CAESARS ARENA Detroit, MI
    MARCH 04 2022 KFC YUM! CENTER Louisville, KY
    MARCH 06 2022 NATIONWIDE ARENA Columbus, OH
    MARCH 08 2022 VAN ANDEL ARENA Grand Rapids, MI
    MARCH 10 2022 UNITED CENTER Chicago , IL
    MARCH 12 2022 CHI HEALTH CENTER ARENA Omaha , NE
    MARCH 13 2022 TARGET CENTER Minneapolis, MN
    MARCH 15 2022 T-MOBILE CENTER Kansas City, MO
    MARCH 17 2022 TAXSLAYER CENTER Moline, IL
    MARCH 18 2022 ENTERPRISE CENTER St. Louis, MO
    MARCH 20 2022 ROCKET MORTGAGE FIELDHOUSE Cleveland, OH
    APRIL 23 2022 ROYAL ARENA Copenhagen, DK
    APRIL 25 2022 SPEKTRUM Oslo, NO
    APRIL 26 2022 AVICII ARENA Stockholm, SE
    APRIL 28 2022 BARCLAYCARD ARENA Hamburg, DE
    APRIL 29 2022 FESTHALLE Frankfurt, DE
    MAY 02 2022 AO ARENA Manchester, GB
    MAY 04 2022 RESORTS WORLD ARENA Birmingham, GB
    MAY 06 2022 3ARENA Dublin, IE
    MAY 09 2022 THE O2 London, GB
    MAY 12 2022 ACCOR ARENA Paris, FR
    MAY 13 2022 SPORTPALEIS Antwerp, BE
    MAY 15 2022 MERCEDES-BENZ ARENA Berlin, DE
    MAY 17 2022 LANXESS ARENA Cologne, DE
    MAY 19 2022 ZIGGO DOME Amsterdam, NL
    MAY 21 2022 TAURON ARENA Krakow, PL
    MAY 23 2022 O2 ARENA Prague, CZ
    MAY 24 2022 BUDAPEST ARENA Budapest, HU

Spotted on Reddit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    If you go to 2019 in the tour archives and click on "Load More" at the bottom, these dates magically appear on the site:
    Holy shit! I think it's safe to say they're most likely legit, given the source!