Page 190 of 264 FirstFirst ... 90 140 180 188 189 190 191 192 200 240 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,700 of 7892

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    How bitter and lonely life must be when you hear 10 minutes of a 90 minute album and just randomly decide "this entire album is garbage".
    Uh..

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I'm not feeling this record either.. Everything leading up to it's release feels forced and rushed. Like, they're releasing something for the sake of releasing something at this point. Kinda feels like they're doing it to shut the fans up. From the reviews i've read, and the song's i've heard already 4/7 (invincible, descending ccTrip, FI), i'm not convinced this record is for me.
    By my math, that's roughly 43 minutes of the album, or essentially half of what we're getting. Not sure where you're getting only 10 minutes, unless you just failed to read his reply in general..

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Uh..

By my math, that's roughly 43 minutes of the album, or essentially half of what we're getting. Not sure where you're getting only 10 minutes, unless you just failed to read his reply in general..
    lol Why in the fuck are you judging new music based on goddamn iPhone videos of the songs performed live? Hell if that was the case, you motherfuckers didn't need a new Tool album as much as you said you did, if fan recorded live vids are the final stop for new Tool music.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Chances of this thing leaking early?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Chances of this thing leaking early?

I have to admit I’m dying to hear it. I work the weekend it comes out and my commute isn’t even 10 minutes anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I have to admit I’m dying to hear it. I work the weekend it comes out and my commute isn’t even 10 minutes anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hahahah -- the struggle is real. I cant even listen to a Fear Inoculum in the time it takes me to drive to work. May lie to my wife..."sorry babe got a out of town meeting...k byyyeee."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Metal Hammer scan up (from Reddit), this is a VERY good interview.

https://www.docdroid.net/EUWs6Je/img-20190815-131231-2-converted.pdf
    JC: "When you are getting older, you think about what you have to offer, and what's the point of your life. We are all musicians, and WE ARE NOT REALLY GOOD MUSICIANS"

THIS GUY! Ha ha!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    For the record I do not expect a shit album. I think its humanly impossible for Tool to record a shit album....I just would have preferred more than 6 songs with vocals

Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post

Also, I'm not too fussed about Maynard recording his stuff away from the band. Mike Patton did that for the last FNM record and it was belting, didn't seem phoned in. Again - we'll all find out if this album holds up in a couple of weeks when it's out.
    Except the new Tomahawk record was finished 2 years ago and is still sitting in Pattons house waiting for him to record vocals to it but he can't be bothered. Thats the problem when singers do not record with their band and decide to do it away from the band at their home studio. Its not as organic.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    JC: "When you are getting older, you think about what you have to offer, and what's the point of your life. We are all musicians, and WE ARE NOT REALLY GOOD MUSICIANS"

THIS GUY! Ha ha!
    Haha as compared to who? Tom Jenkinson? Victor Wooten? Justin, you are a humble man, but it is okay to admit you are a really good bassist. Also, we? Haha okay, you're playing with a musician whom by general consensus of other top musicians is considered a top percussionist on the planet. It's one thing to hear fans and critics praise a drummer, but when other top drummers are all praising the same drummer, you are good to go. And not forgetting Adam, yes he is a little overshadowed, but for what technical skills he lacks on the frets, he makes up in great songwriting. Obviously Adam doesn't get as much praise like noteworthy guitarists in other bands, but Tool's distinctive sound is due to him. He is a good player that can riff your head off. At any rate, Justin, you guys are really good. lol...
    Last edited by pulse; 08-15-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Haha as compared to who? Tom Jenkinson? Victor Wooten? Justin, you are a humble man, but it is okay to admit you are a really good bassist. Also, we? Haha okay, you're playing with a musician whom by general consensus of other top musicians is considered a top percussionist on the planet. It's one thing to hear fans and critics praise a drummer, but when other top drummers are all praising the same drummer, you are good to go. And not forgetting Adam, yes he is a little overshadowed, but for what technical skills he lacks on the frets, he makes up in great songwriting. Obviously Adam doesn't get as much praise like noteworthy guitarists in other bands, but Tool's distinctive sound is due to him. He is a good player that can riff your head off. At any rate, Justin, you guys are really good. lol...
    It's funny. I've had people tell me I'm a really good guitarist, and I know I'm objectively not – like, really not. But I know how to do exactly what I want to do and make it sound good. I don't know Adam and Justin's abilities well enough to know how technically skilled they are, but they're obviously both masters at doing exactly what they do incredibly well. It's like how someone like Gary Oldman can transform for a role, while someone like Jack Nicholson is just amazing at being Jack Nicholson.

But yes, as you said, Danny is an amazing musician period.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Listening to Undertow, and Flood just finished. For those of you worried songs with limited vocals won't be good: lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Except the new Tomahawk record was finished 2 years ago and is still sitting in Pattons house waiting for him to record vocals to it but he can't be bothered. Thats the problem when singers do not record with their band and decide to do it away from the band at their home studio. Its not as organic.
    As a huge Patton fan and huge Tomahawk fan, learning this information today, has kinda ruined my day. :-( I thought Oddfellows was an awesome record and would love to hear more.

Sigh...but at least there's new Tool, right?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this. Great read. I know Danny is the eternal optimist of the group, so grain of salt and everything, but hearing him say he's already eager to record the next album b/c they have so much material (riffs, ideas, etc.) laying around is exciting. Couple this with them saying the band's chemistry/outlook is more positive than it's been in a long time, plus they're free agents after this album and well...maybe it won't be another 13 years for a new Tool album!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It does bring up an interesting avenue of thought I hadn't yet really considered. This...could be the last TOOL album.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

wow, this is better than I expected. Danny's comments re: Adam's method are hilarious - also makes a lot of sense given how much jazz DC plays.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Haha I have a theory. Adam is a big Brian Carroll fan. I am certain he obsessed over the Pikes series like many other guitarists. I figure he'd get some riffs, chord progressions, perhaps a rough solo or two down into some form or structure, be in the process of ironing new material out, only to find portions of it already in the next few Pikes he would listen to. That really is it, isn't it? Buckethead had been sabbotaging Tool albums since 2013. Brian stopped his prolific writing and releasing in late 2016 / early 2017. Tool album is finally written, finalized and recorded in late 2017. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

Edit: I am just kidding, of course. Though... Hrmmm....
    Last edited by pulse; 08-15-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    lol Why in the fuck are you judging new music based on goddamn iPhone videos of the songs performed live? Hell if that was the case, you motherfuckers didn't need a new Tool album as much as you said you did, if fan recorded live vids are the final stop for new Tool music.
    lol who said anything about iPhone clips? I went to two of the spring shows and stood virtually dead center in the audience when they played Invincible and Descending, and likely Chocolate Chip Shits. I don’t think I could possibly have heard them any louder or any clearer than that..

Forgive me, but Pushit, Third Eye and Lateralus these new offerings are not..

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I love how some people are getting so up in arms over a few people that don't like the new songs/music. Some people are getting so offended here, it's hilarious.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I love how some people are getting so up in arms over a few people that don't like the new songs/music. Some people are getting so offended here, it's hilarious.
    what else are we going to do for the next 15 days besides argue on the internet and make tool memes

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I prefer to think for myself, and question authority. Or at least, in this case, meandering studio jams that sound like other Tool compositions from long bygone eras..¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I prefer to think for myself, and question authority. Or at least, in this case, meandering studio jams that sound like other Tool compositions from long bygone eras..¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I prefer to slide 6" at a time.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    I prefer to slide 6" at a time.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I just learned a lot more about you than I think I ever wanted to know.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    There's a difference between being offended and being sick of hearing the same three people whining about the same shit over and over again.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    There's a difference between being offended and being sick of hearing the same three people whining about the same shit over and over again.
    Who’s whining? It’s an informed opinion. Not all of us drink the Tool Kool-Aid and worship at the altar of everything this band releases every 15 year cycle. If you’ve been paying attention the last two or three years, some of us have long expressed reservations about the band’s ability to conjure up the magic behind a veil of lame excuses and general disinterest. And it shows in the music we’ve heard so far. That’s why a significant contingent of fans have been bemoaning the fact that Invincible, Descending and the title track all sound like Tool retreads. After 13 years, it’s not getting the job done. For reasons we’ve outlined for some of you many, many times previously..

Like Helpmeiaminhell said, we’re not expecting a bad Tool album; that’s impossible. But after 13 long years, it’s disheartening to hear what basically sounds like the band repeating themselves so far. That doesn’t make us any less of a fan than those of you who find no fault in anything the band does. If you’re okay with retread Tool after waiting so long, then I guess you’re a winner in the end. But to rever this band as the same life force it was 20 - 25 years ago is just flat-out ridiculous..

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    That doesn’t make us any less of a fan than those of you who find no fault in anything the band does..
    I've never understood people like this. There are some people that are just afraid to admit their favourite artist released something underwhelming. It's OK to not like everything in an artists discography. But it's when something is clearly subpar and people are trying to convince themselves otherwise. Great example of this is Marilyn Manson. Dude hasn't done anything half decent in forever, yet some of his fans continue to gobble it all up like it's the second coming of Christ. I think the general consensus on this board is pretty much on the same page when it comes to him though, lol. But, it's just an example. I know people here are going to be butthurt that I dare compare TOOL to Manson, just doing it for the example. Clearly, TOOL at their worst is still a lot better than most of their peers.

NIN is my favourite band, and even I am not afraid to admit that Trent has made some stinkers of albums. At the end of the day subpar TOOL or NIN is still better than no new music at all. It just seems like people are afraid to admit that something their favourite band released, may not be a 5-star product. Doesn't mean it's going to be hot garbage. I'll take 2019 TOOL over not having any new TOOL at all, but that still doesn't mean that it's their best work.

I'm curious, to everyone defending the new TOOL music, do you like everything the band has done in the past? Is there not a low point in their discography for you? Serious question. Where would you rank this new TOOL material?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Where would you rank this new TOOL material?

Probably should wait a few months before asking that question. I mean, people hated TDS/Fragile for years and look at how we view those albums now.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Vicarious was the better lead off track, imo, but I still like FI.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I've never understood people like this. There are some people that are just afraid to admit their favourite artist released something underwhelming. It's OK to not like everything in an artists discography. But it's when something is clearly subpar and people are trying to convince themselves otherwise. Great example of this is Marilyn Manson. Dude hasn't done anything half decent in forever, yet some of his fans continue to gobble it all up like it's the second coming of Christ. I think the general consensus on this board is pretty much on the same page when it comes to him though, lol. But, it's just an example. I know people here are going to be butthurt that I dare compare TOOL to Manson, just doing it for the example. Clearly, TOOL at their worst is still a lot better than most of their peers.

NIN is my favourite band, and even I am not afraid to admit that Trent has made some stinkers of albums. At the end of the day subpar TOOL or NIN is still better than no new music at all. It just seems like people are afraid to admit that something their favourite band released, may not be a 5-star product. Doesn't mean it's going to be hot garbage. I'll take 2019 TOOL over not having any new TOOL at all, but that still doesn't mean that it's their best work.

I'm curious, to everyone defending the new TOOL music, do you like everything the band has done in the past? Is there not a low point in their discography for you? Serious question. Where would you rank this new TOOL material?
    Dude I (bill pulsipher) got fuckin MASSACRED on here back in 2013 for saying Hesitation Marks was shit and that the Tension tour was weak at the time it was going down. Fast forward 6 years and I feel justified after seeing 2016-2018 NIN stomp the shit out of 2013-2014 NIN......Bands with hardcore fanbases (NIN/Tool) also have portions of the fanbase that will never admit when/if something is substandard.....I get the feeling the new Tool album will split the base in half. Half will say the new album is utter shit and the other half will claim its a masterpiece on par with their 90s work.....

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1
    . I mean, people hated TDS for years and look at how we view those albums now.

o_O

Can’t say I’ve ever interacted with someone like that. The Fragile was definitely a headscratcher at first listen and is still a bit to this day compared to the first few releases (rarely skipped songs from PHM/Broken/TDS).

‘90’s bands age are like what 70’s bands were in the 90’s- if that makes sense from a time perspective. Personally not expecting a “great” Tool album, just hope I like it and that the shows are still awesome.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    o_O

Can’t say I’ve ever interacted with someone like that. The Fragile was definitely a headscratcher at first listen and is still a bit to this day compared to the first few releases (rarely skipped songs from PHM/Broken/TDS).

‘90’s bands age are like what 70’s bands were in the 90’s- if that makes sense from a time perspective. Personally not expecting a “great” Tool album, just hope I like it and that the shows are still awesome.
    Heh one review from the time:
    Nine Inch Nails – 'The Downward Spiral
    "'The Downward Spiral' is vintage Trent Reznor but the paranoid rants and serial-killer prowls of 'Pretty Hate Machine' have been blown up to big-budget dimensions. The scale here maybe more cinematic than previously, but Reznor still only has two speeds – menacing croon or demented howl." 4/10
    I hated TDS for years - that shit was just noise to me. I needed to be “eased in” to the harder NIN stuff (I was a Slip baby)
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 08-15-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    ^ That comment baffled me as well. Did people seriously hate TDS when it came out? I agree with the Fragile though. That one took some time to blossom for people to finally appreciate it. But that's like saying in 15 years Hesitation Marks is going to be that misunderstood record that all of a sudden is a classic that nobody "got" in 2013. I don't think an album released in 2019, nearing the end of a band's career, when they are clearly no longer at their creative peak is going to all of a sudden be an instant classic 10 years after it's release.