Page 10 of 263 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    And by the way, Trent indeed went for the high notes, but he also strained his voice a lot from LITS onwards. He had to cancel a few shows because of it. Plus, he also had back vocals helping him a lot for loud choruses, which Maynard hasn't. Ultimately I'm still glad he pushed the notes anyway... Even though he strained his voice I think he did an overall better job than MJK. What would Tool or NIN be without the fury?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Not sure if anyone noticed, but in my post I actually said Maynard did a good job of changing the pitch in those parts. Not sure if that was misinterpreted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Have any decent bootlegs of this tour surfaced? I don't want to get in any trouble so don't post links, just the date...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    I believe he uses an octaver effect for the Hooker with a penis verses... I bet you it sounds much more convincing when you're actually there. With really loud volume and distortion, I'm pretty sure you'd have to pay close attention to notice he's actually singing an octave lower like in that Reno video.
    You're right; it also depends on the live mix. As far as I know, Tool isn't doing a dedicated sub-mix for lead vocals like TR's downstage mic tech was at NIN shows; the front-of-house guy seems to do it all himself — which means it may not sound optimal if he's trying to do something other than ride the vocal FX fader (like tweak the instrumental balance during the first song).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    FULL Reno show. For anyone interested.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Man, Maynard didn't sound the greatest during the first verse of the opening song, but he really picks it up later in the song.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I was gonna say, c'mon don't hate on Maynard... Then I listened to it. You're right... He sounds terribly off durning Hooker. It must just be because he's singing it through the Megaphone. Maynard sounds back on track once Jambi starts.

Great recording though, kudos to the taper for getting the full show.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    He doesn't sound too great in Jambi either to be honest. Everything after that is pretty good. Even though I wasn't there, man what a difference from when I saw them back in 06'. Will have to find out tomorrow in New Jersey.. stoked!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Ick..I was less than impressed with Maynard's vocals on Pushit from that Reno show.

*edit* And he totally ruined the climax of the song. Ugh.

*edit II* Intension sounds really cool. They'd never do it, but I kinda wish they played more mellow stuff live. I could deal with 50/50 mellow/heavier stuff.
    Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 02-01-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Spoilerific in here...

Here is another full show, in pretty good quality, if anyone is interested.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    AS I HAVE BEEN SAYING...

As I have been saying, during any downtime on the winter tour, all four band members will be busy working on writing and arranging material for the next record. However, when one is in Florida, I suppose one finds in necessary to relax a bit from the rigors of the road.

I'm guessing that Rynne took this photo.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    They were talking about Tool on Evolution Of Metal on VH1Classic

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw that. Not surprised they didn't do an interview but I was glad to see that they were acknowledge for their contributions in metal.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Speaking of which, I wish Tool did more interviews, especially if they were just being sarcastic assholes the whole time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well it's almost a week after the show but here is my little impromptu review of the East Rutherford, NJ show on Feb. 1st at the Izod Center.

This was my fourth time seeing Tool live, and as they did the three previous times, they did not (totally) disappoint. They are still one of the best live acts I have seen in terms of sound, musicianship, and visuals. Everything sounded great and although I had a slight ticketing issue, the show was amazing. My issue was that when the tickets for the show went on sale on Ticketmaster, they had the seating chart advertising a "theater" setup which meant the stage would be in the middle of the floor, creating a more intimate show then a traditional end-stage setup in that arena. Well after I bought my tickets, Section 101 Row 15, dead center.. they changed it to end stage and better tickets were available. But it ended up still being a great view for the visuals so I can't complain too much, but it would have been nice to be closer like I thought originally.
    The first two times I saw Tool were back in the Lateralus days. It's hard to compare those two shows with the two I've seen in the past 2 years because they were somewhat different and not as fresh in my mind (I was 13 at the time). The first time was October 2001 at Madison Square Garden. It was right after 9/11 so I almost didn't go, as I went with my mom and step-dad and we were all still shaken and somewhat worried about going into Manhattan to a large venue. It ended up being a life-changing experience, a new measure by which I would judge all future shows. The second time seeing them was in August 2002, at Izod Center (then it was Continental Airlines Arena), and it was a similiar show, still amazing. After that show I wouldn't see Tool live again until July 2010 in Las Vegas, on a whim, and it brought about a renewed interest in the band for me. They didn't come back near New York again until last week.
    The show was similar in setlist and style to the 2010 show in Las Vegas at Planet Hollywood save for a few song swaps. I know a lot of people who have seen Tool live a lot between the release of 10,000 Days and now have been tired of their similar setlists, but to me the 2010 Vegas show and now the 2012 Izod Center show have been great for me. The only negative I have to say about the show last week was that I expected something that didn't happen, and was therefore disappointed. I guess it was my own fault though. I have a bad habit of reading setlists for tours that I am going to before going. I guess I couldn't help it, and I got SUPER excited when I found out that Tool were playing Spoiler: Hooker With A Penis, Spoiler: Ticks & Leeches, and Spoiler: Parabola (although only a few times on different nights than Spoiler: Ticks & Leeches!! Oh my god it's like a dream come true.. literally three of my favorite songs by them. I got to see Spoiler: Parabola back in 2001 & 2002 but wow what a treat. Kept checking setlists, they haven't dropped them amazingly! So they opened with Spoiler: Hooker which was great, sounded great musically but the vocals were a little low to me, and the visuals weren't too crazy being the first song of the set. Still amazing though. So here I'm thinking wow this is great, now I'm gonna get to see either Spoiler: Ticks or Spoiler: Parabola... guess what.. They didn't play either one! Womp womppp That's what you get for checking setlists compulsively. They decided that for the first time on this short tour that they were going to drop Spoiler: Ticks and not play Spoiler: Parabola either for whatever reason. Got really sad when I saw it was actually on the night's setlist too, just skipped. Oh well, lesson learned I guess. It was still a great show, and I got to see Spoiler: Hooker for the first time, and I'm lucky to have seen them so many times so I guess I should just stop bitching right? Haha... and to think I almost bought tickets for Camden &/or Mohegan Sun before Izod came up, and both of those shows got Spoiler: Ticks & Leeches. They've since stuck to the Izod setlist every night since then, but hey at least we also got Spoiler: Sober. Guess I didn't really need all the spoiler tags since the tour is over tomorrow anyway.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demgoth View Post
    Well it's almost a week after the show but here is my little impromptu review of the East Rutherford, NJ show on Feb. 1st at the Izod Center.

This was my fourth time seeing Tool live, and as they did the three previous times, they did not (totally) disappoint. They are still one of the best live acts I have seen in terms of sound, musicianship, and visuals. Everything sounded great and although I had a slight ticketing issue, the show was amazing. My issue was that when the tickets for the show went on sale on Ticketmaster, they had the seating chart advertising a "theater" setup which meant the stage would be in the middle of the floor, creating a more intimate show then a traditional end-stage setup in that arena. Well after I bought my tickets, Section 101 Row 15, dead center.. they changed it to end stage and better tickets were available. But it ended up still being a great view for the visuals so I can't complain too much, but it would have been nice to be closer like I thought originally.
    The first two times I saw Tool were back in the Lateralus days. It's hard to compare those two shows with the two I've seen in the past 2 years because they were somewhat different and not as fresh in my mind (I was 13 at the time). The first time was October 2001 at Madison Square Garden. It was right after 9/11 so I almost didn't go, as I went with my mom and step-dad and we were all still shaken and somewhat worried about going into Manhattan to a large venue. It ended up being a life-changing experience, a new measure by which I would judge all future shows. The second time seeing them was in August 2002, at Izod Center (then it was Continental Airlines Arena), and it was a similiar show, still amazing. After that show I wouldn't see Tool live again until July 2010 in Las Vegas, on a whim, and it brought about a renewed interest in the band for me. They didn't come back near New York again until last week.
    The show was similar in setlist and style to the 2010 show in Las Vegas at Planet Hollywood save for a few song swaps. I know a lot of people who have seen Tool live a lot between the release of 10,000 Days and now have been tired of their similar setlists, but to me the 2010 Vegas show and now the 2012 Izod Center show have been great for me. The only negative I have to say about the show last week was that I expected something that didn't happen, and was therefore disappointed. I guess it was my own fault though. I have a bad habit of reading setlists for tours that I am going to before going. I guess I couldn't help it, and I got SUPER excited when I found out that Tool were playing Spoiler: Hooker With A Penis, Spoiler: Ticks & Leeches, and Spoiler: Parabola (although only a few times on different nights than Spoiler: Ticks & Leeches!! Oh my god it's like a dream come true.. literally three of my favorite songs by them. I got to see Spoiler: Parabola back in 2001 & 2002 but wow what a treat. Kept checking setlists, they haven't dropped them amazingly! So they opened with Spoiler: Hooker which was great, sounded great musically but the vocals were a little low to me, and the visuals weren't too crazy being the first song of the set. Still amazing though. So here I'm thinking wow this is great, now I'm gonna get to see either Spoiler: Ticks or Spoiler: Parabola... guess what.. They didn't play either one! Womp womppp That's what you get for checking setlists compulsively. They decided that for the first time on this short tour that they were going to drop Spoiler: Ticks and not play Spoiler: Parabola either for whatever reason. Got really sad when I saw it was actually on the night's setlist too, just skipped. Oh well, lesson learned I guess. It was still a great show, and I got to see Spoiler: Hooker for the first time, and I'm lucky to have seen them so many times so I guess I should just stop bitching right? Haha... and to think I almost bought tickets for Camden &/or Mohegan Sun before Izod came up, and both of those shows got Spoiler: Ticks & Leeches. They've since stuck to the Izod setlist every night since then, but hey at least we also got Spoiler: Sober. Guess I didn't really need all the spoiler tags since the tour is over tomorrow anyway.
    I was there myself but I was dead center in the middle section. I was still able to see everything pretty well so I was really happy with my seats. There wasn't a huge difference here from when I saw them back in 06' for the 10'000 days tour at Nassau Coliseum besides the set list of course. I was glad I got to hear Hooker, Sober, Pushit, and Intension. It is funny you said you have a bad habit of looking at set lists before shows because I do that for every show I go to; I can't help it lol. But when I saw Parabol/Parabola, TICKS AND LEECHES, I was so stoked but I was not expecting anything in return there.

The reason they cut out Parabol/Parabola and probably Ticks was due to the fact that Sober had the break in between with the guest DJ (I think) "Bill Brooks" that was at least 4 to 5 minutes long before they finished the song so that definitely cut into playing time. They also elongated Lateralus with the drumming solo with a guest appearance from "Frank Ferrer" which was an extra four minutes they added to that as well so I am assuming they cut the other songs out due to that. The break in between Sober I could have done without though. It was wayyyy too long and made me bored.

Overall it was a great concert and me and my friends really enjoyed ourselves. Well, until another 6 years......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Agreed, that "DJ break" in Sober sounded alright for the first 30 seconds. After that I was just like what the fuck is this.. The guest drumming on Lateralus I don't mind though, and I think it's pretty cool. When I saw them in Las Vegas in 2010 they had the drummer for the opening band (Rajas) as the guest. But I think the guest spot for Big Day Out 2011 in Australia takes the cake..

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Someone caught a delicious sounding IEM rip of the Charlotte show. Here is a taste.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=392919

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Normally I hate IEM hacks but that was... intense.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Now I wish I went to that show...even more.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Normally I hate IEM hacks but that was... intense.
    Pushit and Intension are divine.

I'm guessing it was from Danny's feed, as the drums are in the back. Would be nice to hear him a little better, but I am certainly not complainin'.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Someone caught a delicious sounding IEM rip of the Charlotte show. Here is a taste.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=392919

Neat, thanks! Still dying to hear that NIN IEM rip someday.

One question, though.

WTF's up with all that obnoxious "hiss" in the background?!?

I've heard 5th gen. tape-to-tape transfers with less.

o_O

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    IEM means Inner Ear Monitor? How do they hack it?

This is the best recording from Tool I've heard besides Salival and that Michigan one.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    There's at least one IEM recording from 10KD tour (circa 2006/2007, forgot the date/venue) in circulation

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow! This is incredible. Would anyone be willing to send a brother a Dime invite? This recording alone makes me want to take the leap. Thanks.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    IEM means Inner Ear Monitor? How do they hack it?
    By dialing into the private RF band the band uses. Hard to do without it sounding like, well, a 5th-generation tape copy (because of all the radio interference). Also a federal offence, if I'm not mistaken.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Squishy View Post
    Wow! This is incredible. Would anyone be willing to send a brother a Dime invite? This recording alone makes me want to take the leap. Thanks.

Dime doesn't have an invite system. It's revolving registrations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The version of the IEM Charlotte show I got Hooker w/ a penis is messed up. Is this true for everyone else?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uroboros View Post
    The version of the IEM Charlotte show I got Hooker w/ a penis is messed up. Is this true for everyone else?
    Yes, he was getting the receiver set up properly.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    By dialing into the private RF band the band uses. Hard to do without it sounding like, well, a 5th-generation tape copy (because of all the radio interference). Also a federal offence, if I'm not mistaken.
    Ahh, that hadn't occurred to me...thanks for the explanation about all that hiss, that seems to make perfect sense.

:)