Page 9 of 263 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    If they play Spoiler: "The Grudge,"* I'm going to kill myself.
    From Fourtheye:

"I heard from a friend in Dallas who knows one of the sound guys (not Junior) that they may very well play Spoiler: The Grudge tonight early on."

I'll shit all over myself, even from half way across the country.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Are you all that blown away by set changes?

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    From Fourtheye:

"I heard from a friend in Dallas who knows one of the sound guys (not Junior) that they may very well play Spoiler: The Grudge tonight early on."

I'll shit all over myself, even from half way across the country.
    Part of me is bummed out I won't be able to see it, but then I'm also kind of excited. This means that they finally are mixing up the set in a big way, so maybe on the next tour we might actually get Spoiler: "The Grudge" or Spoiler: "Parabol/Parabola". This could mean great things for the tours to come.

Edit: According to setlist.fm, Spoiler: so far it's the standard set they were playing earlier in the tour, with "Ticks and Leeches."
    Last edited by theruiner; 01-21-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Are you all that blown away by set changes?
    It wouldn't be a big deal, but after touring for 5-6 years with basically the same set, this is a very, very pleasant surprise.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    yeah, even though i'm not seeing them play Spoiler: Sober and Spoiler: Parabola myself i'm genuinely glad for those in America. and yeah, i'd be crying if they played Spoiler: a certain song off Lateralus (the one between highly anticipated song and the song many seem to be tired of), even if their organ player is not very capable to produce the sounds like he could back in the day.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    i'd be crying if they played Spoiler: a certain song off Lateralus (the one between highly anticipated song and the song many seem to be tired of),
    Are you talking about Spoiler: The Patient?

their organ player

LMAO.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I don't care what they play. With no new material, these are still songs any Tool fan has listened to hundreds if not thousands of times. Sorry.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Well I guess that explains why you're not going to their shows.

Thanks for your input, it was very constructive, and certainly wasn't pointless whining.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I've been supporting this band since 1993, have seen them 5 or 6 times since 2006, am totally excited for their next album, but just don't care to see them on this tour or until they have new songs to play or a new album to pimp. Someone asked if we're so obsessed with the setlist, and I said no. Keep your hair on.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Guess not everyone uses Wikipedia.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Back in 93, no one was able to touch Mer De Noms. It was so ahead of it's time... Maybe the writer got caught in the undertow and washed up to shore in 2000.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what time tool is generally going on? Me and my friends cant leave Buffalo till 600, because one has to work. I am hoping I dont miss any considering the ticket price.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINisamazing View Post
    Does anyone know what time tool is generally going on? Me and my friends cant leave Buffalo till 600, because one has to work. I am hoping I dont miss any considering the ticket price.
    Usually around 9

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, wish me luck.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Be warned — the lineup outside is CRAZY.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If anyone's interested, here's my review of the Tool show in Toronto. It was unbelievable! I went in with the low expectations that they're going to play the same old setlist with little enthusiasm, and I was wrong in every way. Hope you enjoy the review (and the show if you go): http://bit.ly/yU7lP9

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Watching live videos on YouTube I find myself listening for the parts where I know the vocals are in MJK's high register and finding it very noticeable where he has to make the little changes in certain words, not being able to hit those high notes (i.e. from about 5:02 near the end of 46 & 2 where he sings each last word 'See my shadow changing.' and 'Soften this old armor' and 'Steppin' through my shadow' in a lower pitch. Random comment I know, but in my opinion he does a solid job of making it still work.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ahhh I cannot wait! I'm sure he is tweaking a lot of those pitches, but as long as it sounds good I could care less. Plus, the set list is pretty dam good.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Morad's eloquent review says it all beautifully. Yes, Maynard sang lower than the album versions on the odd note here and there, but never to distracting/disruptive extent. It takes a truly artful and dedicated singer to pull that off and save enough gas for the belters (which he certainy did). They've also entirely dropped the songs (such as "Vicarious") that are too demanding for him to sing without having to significantly abstain so he'll preserve his voice.

Kudos to the video/laser crew for pulling off a totally stunning, no-holds-barred, arena-filling spectacle. Definitely on par with Lights in the Sky or The Wall Live in those departments... I can't think of any other rock show that even comes close right now.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I don't think Maynard isn't capable of hitting those notes anymore, but I do think he just doesn't want to risk straining his vocal cords to a point where he'd only be only to do one show/sing one song.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I find it funny that people are bitching about Maynard lowering the pitch and saying how much he sucks now, yet when Trent had to do it, not one peep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Kudos to the video/laser crew for pulling off a totally stunning, no-holds-barred, arena-filling spectacle. Definitely on par with Lights in the Sky or The Wall Live in those departments... I can't think of any other rock show that even comes close right now.
    This.

I went to the London show and was really impressed. Last time around I saw them at the Molson Amphitheater in Toronto and was fairly disappointed... but now I realize it was really more just the venue than anything else. I don't think this kind of show lends itself to giant outdoor arenas like that.

They sounded great the other night. So glad I went!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Does anyone have an mp3 of a perfectly synced version of the secret track on 10,000 days? I tried doing it myself but I can't get it to perfectly match up (no youtube links please)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Does anyone have an mp3 of a perfectly synced version of the secret track on 10,000 days? I tried doing it myself but I can't get it to perfectly match up (no youtube links please)
    Spoiler: It doesn't perfectly sync. It's not real.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Really kicking myself for missing Tool this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    (Totally did not intend to embed this video. Linked it as a URL, but ETS auto-posts it as a video... )

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I find it funny that people are bitching about Maynard lowering the pitch and saying how much he sucks now, yet when Trent had to do it, not one peep.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by JessicaSarahS; 01-28-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post

i feel like Trent has pulled this off more successfully than Maynard. I think alot of that has to do with the fact that Maynard's style is extremely harder to pull off live.

plus, Trent's come off a helluva lot more likeable over the past few years. it's easier to get on Maynard for subpar singing when he seems to shit on his fans with every move, whereas Trent has shown nothing but respect and appreciation for us since he came back around in '05.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I can't remember any examples of Trent singing things at a lower octave offhand except "Heresy" and it sounded fine. I haven't heard much of Maynard singing lower (that I can remember, anyway) except "Hooker With A Penis," and it just didn't work at all. *shrug* It seems like that probably isn't much of an issue with most of the songs they're playing, though. Both times I saw them I don't remember thinking he sounded bad at all.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    He didn't sing that an octave lower in Toronto, from what I recall. He also didn't come in two bars early or anything like whatever it was that screwed up that song in Reno.

Not sure if we should get into a "who shits on people more" contest between Trent and Maynard.
    Last edited by botley; 01-29-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I believe he uses an octaver effect for the Hooker with a penis verses... I bet you it sounds much more convincing when you're actually there. With really loud volume and distortion, I'm pretty sure you'd have to pay close attention to notice he's actually singing an octave lower like in that Reno video.