Page 95 of 264 FirstFirst ... 45 85 93 94 95 96 97 105 145 195 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,850 of 7895

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Justin talks about the new album and stuff: http://www.bassplayer.com/artists/11...xt-album/60999

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    That's a really good interview with Justin. He's easily the most personable member of the band

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    That's a really good interview with Justin. He's easily the most personable member of the band

Yes, this is very true especially in person. I've told these stories on here a hundred times, but eh whatever.

All the times I met Tool, (unpaid. I haven't gone to any of the $500 VIP deals,) Adam was treating like a job, which it generally is. He wasn't outwardly annoyed, but you could tell it wasn't his favorite thing. It was only maybe 5 of us too, he wasn't get swarmed with fans or anything. Danny was a bit more into it, giving pity laughs and stuff. But you could tell, he was just tuned out - listening to people's stories with a "mhm. mhm. that's cool man."

Justin though. He's always got a nice buzz on after the shows and super friendly and jokey and awesome. You can tell he really digs having fans of his career and his playing. I think he truly appreciates fans of Tool.

Maynard tho... WTF? I honestly need to know - does anybody know how the fuck Maynard gets out of venues?? From what I can tell - with all of his bands - the show ends, he walks off stage, and then instantly teleports to his hotel. I don't get it. Does Danny/Billy/Carina carry him out in their suitcase? Seriously, I've hung out outside the back door of Tool shows, APC shows, and Puscifer shows. (Don't judge me.) I see all of the band members come out every time, but never once have I even caught a glimpse of Maynard.

Trent once brick-walled me and walked past me into his car even though I was the only one there, I just wanted to shake his hand. But at least I saw him! I know he exists and isn't actually a hologram. Maynard on the other hand, I can't be so sure...

But yeah, I like to head out back near the buses after shows because I want to meet the band. I know it sounds weird, but I really try to be pretty respectful about it. Usually when they come out, I say their name once to where I know they can hear me. If they acknowledge me and walk over, cool! If they ignore me, I totally get it and don't bother them again. I met most of NIN (other than Trent this way.) Robin, Alessandro, and Josh Eustis were all super fucking cool.

Yeah, I know it's a fine line between what I do and seeming like a crazy stalker. It's not like I deify or worship any of these people, it isn't like that at all. It's just that concerts are my favorite activities ever. I get to ignore my life completely for 2-3 hours and just be in the moment and just transport away. And when it's over, I think it's the coolest fucking thing ever to be sometimes able to shake the hand and thank an artist who created something that changed my life. It also helps to not deify them, I get to see that they're a real person just like me. Shrug.

Sorry, this got totally off-track like many of my posts. Just thought I should outline what a loser I am, for some reason.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

I've never hung out to meet the bands but I know people who do. No big.

To be honest, I Maynard hates the fame. I know that sounds lame as shit. I don't think he wants to chat about the music or the art because that's just one facet of his life.

My takeaway from decades of interviews is that his life and his mind are very compartmentalized and he has tons of defense mechanisms that keep them that way.

Some people might say that makes him a dick. Whatever. I just think he plays his characters then slips back into a different skin and dips out into another part of life.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Anecdote: I was waiting for an APC show outside The Odeon in 2003 and Maynard and James Iha walked (separately) in from the tourbus across the street. Neither acknowledged us when the dozen or so of us waiting applauded politely.

Maynard actually seemed visibly flustered by it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I assume Maynard probably leaves the venue the instant the show gets over these days. Maybe even with a blanket over his head just incase.

APC circa 2000 in Detroit were all very pleasant people (sans Maynard, initially) - Paz, Troy, Josh, and Billy all came out of the venue's back door separately to mingle with a pretty substantial amount of fans behind a barricade. At some point through all that commotion, Maynard walked out and directly onto the tour bus, merely giving an acknowledging wave. After about 45 minutes of waiting around, a girl got off the bus and said he wasn't going to be coming back out. The crowd dissipated somewhat, but those of us who stuck around started singing You Are My Sunshine. Eventually that same girl got off the bus again and said Maynard will come out to sign things, but NO pictures, NO cameras (this was a much simpler request in the days before smart phones). Sure enough, Maynard did get off the bus again, and he did sign both my concert ticket and my water bottle. He wasn't at ALL talkative, and I'm sure he would've rather been doing anything else, but he came out. And as far as I know, he stayed out there to make sure everyone still waiting got an autograph.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Funny story I just remembered. I saw some off-hand comment in a thread on reddit the other day about Tom Cruise. They were saying how gracious and kind Tom Cruise was to his fans, so I decided to search "Tom Cruise and fans" on YouTube. I found a ton of videos like , Tom spending 10-15 minutes walking down a huge line and taking pictures signing 1,000,000 pieces of memorabilia and junk people were just going to sell on Ebay.

So then, for laughs, I decided to search "Maynard James Keenan and fans" because I realized I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Maynard with just normal fans outside a venue or in public or something. I've seen a few of him standing next to people stone-faced backstage, but that's about it. Well, these are the basic results I found with my search, a bunch of stuff like this. It made me lol:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I assume Maynard probably leaves the venue the instant the show gets over these days. Maybe even with a blanket over his head just incase.
    So that's what these Tool shirt-blankets are for! 😄😄

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BN4-CqYA...y=adamjones_tv

Good to see Adam is hard at work on that new Tool record..

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BN4-CqYA...y=adamjones_tv

Good to see Adam is hard at work on that new Tool record..
    That's pretty awesome, actually. I think the guys actually work together like Monday-Thursday during the morning.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I bet Tool could do a sweetass cover of Limelight.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I always wanted to see a Neil Pert/Danny Carry drum off

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Spoiler: Maynard pointed toward Kjiirt and spoke, his voice steady, firm. "He stays."

Way too beautiful and badass for real life, but I want to believe it happened.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Spoiler: Maynard pointed toward Kjiirt and spoke, his voice steady, firm. "He stays."

Way too beautiful and badass for real life, but I want to believe it happened.
    What in god's name does this even mean? Have I just gotten that old that I don't know what the kids are saying these days?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I have no fuckin clue what it means either bro.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm going to guess it's an excerpt from his recent book? I haven't read it, but the way the quote goes, it looks like it would read from something like that. Who's "Kjiirt" anyway?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Aw fuck me. Sorry guys, it is from the book. Wasn't exactly sober when I posted this, and didn't realize we left the topic several pages ago. Or was that a totally different thread, even?

Kjiirt is a childhood friend of MJK's (and the brother of the author from what I understand). The excerpt is about Spoiler: him getting into a fight during a Tool show, and Maynard stepping in, stopping mid-song, as the security guys are dragging him out from the audience. He does stay.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    About damn time!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    So, another US mini tour- this time in summer to make some ca-ching from the festivals. Would be cool if they hit Milwaukee. Unlikely but wouldn't doubt at least a Chicago stop, maybe even Madison.

Maybe Maynard will be pulling double-duty with APC at some festivals too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I got the Maynard biography as an unexpected present in the mail. It's pretty interesting so far.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Is there a greater piece of music than the section from the instrumental breakdown in H. up to "I don't mind" or what? Come the fuck on.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    When do these go on sale? Where did you get those dates? How is it they're playing in Orlando in like 3 weeks and I can't find any info on it?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    News flash: It's not 2016 anymore.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh fuck I didn't even see that hahahahaha...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Things That Happened Before New Tool, ch. 164:

The KLF came back after 23 years

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tool, Sigur Ros, The XX in the same lineup. I'd go to that festival if I lived closer: https://www.facebook.com/Bostoncalling

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Things That Happened Before New Tool, ch. 164:

The KLF came back after 23 years
    The one that gets me is that George W. Bush was only 15 months into his second term when 10,000 Days came out. He still had 35% of his presidency left when that album came out!

(P.S. - When I went to Wikipedia to find the dates of W's inauguration, I went to the list of US presidents and scrolled to the bottom and there was "Donald J Trump" and this whole thing sunk in again and I almost killed myself. Thought you should know.)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    The original iPhone was about another year from launching.

Next...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)