Page 79 of 264 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 179 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 7892

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    If I wanted to read an email exchange between two insufferable douchebags, the Tool thread is not where I would go.
    You're right.

Id go to the entrance waiting line of a Tool concert.

Or facebook.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    really surprised that Tool apparently played a new song live last night and nobody on here is talking about it? Oh well, stranger things have happened.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    really surprised that Tool apparently played a new song live last night and nobody on here is talking about it? Oh well, stranger things have happened.
    According to Rolling Stone it was the same snippet we've been treated to before.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Yeah was just 'Descending'...there are vocals, and it seems a bit more polished, but it's the same one:

edit: Might I also add that this performance of Jambi, along with the few others I've watched, combined with the setlist...MJK's reeeaaaally not seemingly into it. Kinda underwhelming. I mean, it's Tool and obviously if/when they come here, I'm going...but I don't know. It's just kinda...there.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 01-07-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So more or less three minutes of the same jam followed by the same song they've been playing for years nonstop with more or less the same setlist they've been playing for years nonstop and the same visuals they've been using for years nonstop. Oh, and No Quarter, which is neat, I guess.

That might be the most unenthusiastic performance of Jambi I've ever heard.

Suddenly not upset at all that I couldn't land any tickets. And incredibly glad I didn't pay extra for them. $80 is ridiculous enough, and downright insulting if you get stuck with upper section seats.

Also, here's No Quarter and The Grudge:

MJK could not seem more bored.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Actually, all jokes aside, their setlist is not being "exactly the same for years." Its problem is that it's short (on paper), with long drone segues in between already pretty long songs. But songs are definitely rotating.

Here's what they have played since 10KD era:
    Opiate
    Intolerance
    Sober
    Swamp Song
    Flood
    Stinkfist
    46+2
    Hooker with a Penis
    Pushit
    Aenema
    Third Eye
    You Lied
    No Quarter
    The Grudge
    The Patient
    Schism
    Parabola
    Ticks & Leeches
    Lateralus
    Vicarious
    Jambi
    Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
    The Pot
    Wings 1+2
    Intension
    Right in Two
    B'Boom
    Descending
    Last edited by fillow; 01-07-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wow, take away all those lights and video screens and you'd be left with a really...really boring show. Looks like a bad way to waste 100 bucks to me, but maybe the pieces just don't fit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Also, here's No Quarter and The Grudge:

MJK could not seem more bored.
    How does he seem bored? It seems like he's having a bit of trouble performing the material in spots, but the material in question is pretty challenging. I was pretty captivated by the performance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ^^^Agreed. The Grudge sounded great, considering Maynard's in his fifties.....not an easy song to sing. Lazy to post the vid but the the jam in the middle of Opiate seemed more polished as well.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    How does he seem bored? It seems like he's having a bit of trouble performing the material in spots, but the material in question is pretty challenging. I was pretty captivated by the performance.
    The willful blind are exactly who they are cornering for this tour. Or any tour since 2002, really.

That was an awful, dispassionate performance. I would rather take a cardboard cutout of MJK as they pipe the studio vocal out of the PA than see this band live at this point.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    That is one hell of a boring setlist. Went with the easy way out and just ran with what they rehearsed for the Halloween gig. I think thought should have at least made "No Quarter" an exclusive song for that show and came up with a different opener. It is literally the exact same setlist from Halloween. They aren't even trying anymore. Would it hurt them to rehearse a few extra songs and change it up?

This tour screams money grab all over it. Dammit guys, stop wasting time on the road, this could be valuable time spend in the recording studio!!!

Seriously... why waste valuable studio time on this?? Obviously Maynard has nothing else to do now, so just go in the goddamn studio already. After this tour Maynard is gonna make some excuse up that will prevent him from "joining the band in the studio"

Fuck these guys. Fuck them. I'm done. I'm boycotting any live 2016 shows now. @october_midnight make sure you help me stick to my guns on this one, don't let me spend $120 on a ticket to them once they announce that Vancouver date later this year. Knowing my luck they'll play Pemberton and I'll be stuck going back on my word...

I'm not giving these guys anymore money until they release a new record.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Sweat:

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Salty.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    That is one hell of a boring setlist. Went with the easy way out and just ran with what they rehearsed for the Halloween gig. I think thought should have at least made "No Quarter" an exclusive song for that show and came up with a different opener. It is literally the exact same setlist from Halloween. They aren't even trying anymore. Would it hurt them to rehearse a few extra songs and change it up?
    To be fair they often change it up after a tour has commenced. Am I the only one who feels strange that people are bitching about the setlist when they're now playing No Quarter and The fucking Grudge? They've played Parabol/Parabola 8 times since 2002, and that includes the past two nights in San Francisco. Sweat was also added tonight, for the first time in 18 years. They're also playing a sweet-ass new song. Opiate isn't exactly a setlist staple either.

Is it really a problem that 6 out of the 12 songs are staples/singles while the other 6 are rarities or new additions? What exactly do some people want, an entire setlist made up of songs that they've never played every single night?

This tour screams money grab all over it.
    Which part about it?

Seriously... why waste valuable studio time on this?? Obviously Maynard has nothing else to do now, so just go in the goddamn studio already. After this tour Maynard is gonna make some excuse up that will prevent him from "joining the band in the studio"
    How is this a waste of time? Their time isn't exactly finite. Nothing is preventing them from writing on the road either.

(And I don't think it could possibly be any more clear that Maynard is seriously not the issue or in any way to blame for the wait.)

Anyway. I have no problem admitting that their live presence could definitely be improved in a lot of ways, but much of the outrage and criticisms I hear about Tool are really undeserved in my opinion.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Which part about it?
    I think it is someone's crazy theory on why the band has toured or played a date for the past decade. If you notice the past several tours only last a month tops and people assume it is a cash grab tour. I wouldn't be surprised if their management constantly gets tour offers every year.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post

How is this a waste of time? Their time isn't exactly finite. Nothing is preventing them from writing on the road either.

(And I don't think it could possibly be any more clear that Maynard is seriously not the issue or in any way to blame for the wait.)
    How do you know that Maynard is not the issue? We only hear what the band wants us to hear. Nobody in showbiz tells the 100% truth when speaking to the media. Besides, TOOL are known for trying to avoid the media and try and move along without being interviewed. They know the media is going to continue to hunt them down on "where is the new album" that's the first (or last) thing every journalist asks in any interview from the last 5 years. The members of TOOL are just careful with who they do interviews with so their words aren't totally twisted out of proportion to the masses. You saw what happened late last year when that Maynard quote was taken out of context... Next thing ya know the biggest story on the internet is MJK hates his fans and thinks they're idiots.

You don't think the band carefully decides what to say and who to do an interview with? Just don't believe everything you are told when it comes to the reasons why they have or have not came up with any new songs.

I just think this time would be better spent in a studio. Maynard is all the way in AZ half the time, if they're all free... why not lay down some recordings in a studio? Doubt they carry all their gear around with them on the road. Sure, they can "write" and "bounce ideas" off one another inbetween gigs, but there are limited to what they can do. If the 4 of them have time to tour now, then I think the time would be better spent working on a new album.

The issue is, from a fans point of view, they seem lazy. The fans have been waiting 10 years for a goddamn followup record to 10k days, 10 goddamn years! You can't have the wool pulled so tightly over your eyes that you don't think this is an acceptable way to treat their fans. To the average fan, they will look at this and be like "OK... so they have time to tour, but not record a record? What gives" It looks like something is up... People don't want to hear the same 15 songs from the last 20 years, I bet you any money if you surveyed all the TOOL fans in the world on whether you would want them to continue these short little tour escapades every 3-6 months or just go sit in the studio and finish a record, even if it means not seeing them live for a couple years, more people would choose for them to go on an extended hiatus if it meant coming back with new songs to play on a new tour.

Here's a better question, which part of this (or any of these mini tours they do) do you think is not a waste of time? What is so great about these tours in your opinion? What are they bringing to the table in 2 weeks that they haven't in the last 10 years?

They have not changed their show style up in 10 years! The tours are a carbon copy of one another. Sure, the songs change here and there... but when you think about it, TOOL's catalog of songs to pick from is limited anyway. What do they have, a good 10 songs per record on average and about 3 or 4 of the tracks are nonsense noises and filler... that leaves them with what? 35-some odd songs to actually pick from? A band that's been around for as long as they do, plays on average a 10 song set and drags half those songs out to 120 mins is absurd! You know how many goddamn actual songs they could fit into a 2 hr set if they cut out all the nonsense drum solos and interludes and intermissions?

The day TOOL starts playing 15-17 song sets again is the day I say "OK now they're doing something different!" Who cares about 12 minutes of negative ions... play some real music! I don't want to hear static for 12 mins at a concert!

And to the point about "Oh. but they put SWEAT back into the setlist today. That's different, take that!!" adding/removing 1 song a night is not enough of a drastic change to get excited about. This is the same argument that we have in the Marilyn Manson thread. He goes on tour, keeps the same setlist for 95% of the tour and then adds 1 song here and there at the end, and everyone goes "See naysayers, he changes it up! Fuck all yall haters! He's listening to the fans" that once again isn't listening to the fans, it's getting fucking BORED of playing the same 15 songs every fucking night for 3 months!!!!

You know how many bands can change up their setlist DRASTICALLY every night? The bands that change up their setlists every night know how to treat their fans. Not only that, but it keeps things interesting for them. People are complaining about MJK "bored" presence? Even you said yourself - sure, his performance is laking a bit... It's because he looks at it the same way. I think bands that change things up more are more healthy. They grow together and stay together longer.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 01-08-2016 at 01:43 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Seriously lol at this band

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I agree with what you guys said about the setlist, it's not like they can't change it and be creative with it.
    Look at Pearl Jam: a band that started around the same time that them and always change their setlist (and playing 3 hours many times).
    I'm not saying Tool should play 3 hours (and it's obvious they don't have the size of PJ's catalogue), but it's for sure they can bring back many songs from Opiate, Undertow or even play other covers like "Your lied", "Demon Cleaner", "Stranglehold" and more.
    There's many ways to make the show creative and diverse, if fans are starting to stop giving fucks it's because the band seems to have stopped giving fucks too...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ITT: whiny poop diaper crybabies

Their lighting and production is absolutely top-notch, seriously. Closest comparison point to anybody else performing in this genre is still hundreds of miles behind them. Those two first songs from SF look like they'd be utterly mind-bending to see in person. At this point, there is so much more going into the art-form of a Tool show than choosing fucking songs on a list in novel ways.

And perhaps they feel the creative stimulation from playing in front of people is necessary in order to finish the record with confidence. Waiting for ten years for something you were never promised... that's on you, bro.

Oh yeah, it's such a fucking money grab when musicians charge money for people to hear them play their music.

Actually lol at this thread
    Last edited by botley; 01-08-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm very excited to see 3TEETH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

And to the point about "Oh. but they put SWEAT back into the setlist today. That's different, take that!!" adding/removing 1 song a night is not enough of a drastic change to get excited about. This is the same argument that we have in the Marilyn Manson thread. He goes on tour, keeps the same setlist for 95% of the tour and then adds 1 song here and there at the end, and everyone goes "See naysayers, he changes it up! Fuck all yall haters! He's listening to the fans" that once again isn't listening to the fans, it's getting fucking BORED of playing the same 15 songs every fucking night for 3 months!!!!
    i'm with ya, they have been playing basically the same set for 10+ yrs (with some minor tweaks).

do they all despise "undertow", they've basically abandoned this album live since the release of Lateralus and that my friends is thievery.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    This tour screams money grab all over it. Dammit guys, stop wasting time on the road, this could be valuable time spend in the recording studio!!!
    Of course it is – recording studio time is extremely expensive, and that last tour had to fund the legal battle. Same crew and rig and setlist because the shows have to be streamlined into actual cash flow, rather than usual... non-flow (like NIN tours). Hence the bullshit Opiate reissue, blankets made out of old shirts, etc.

Money is the only reason MJK would attach his name to voicekiller tours with Tool.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    say what you will, but they remain a great experience to see live, they may play the same stuff and look bored on stage but it's still a very very enjoyable show once in a while.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    say what you will, but they remain a great experience to see live, they may play the same stuff and look bored on stage but it's still a very very enjoyable show once in a while.
    This is pretty much spot on. Regardless of allllllll the rest. People don't go see Jethro Tull breathlessly anticipating their next album. They go because they like the music and they put on a killer show.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    They go because they like the music and they put on a killer show.
    I can't argue with that at all. I keep going to NIN shows even though I know I'm gonna have to sit through HLAH, THTF, Hurt and so on. But Trent & co. put on a great show. There's movement and energy and excitement. When I saw them at the Fonda in 09, it was one of the most captivating performances I had ever seen, with next to no stage production to back them. Can you imagine how boring Tool would be without all the visual bells and whistles?

Don't get me wrong, I love their music and look forward to a new album, but there isn't a single shred of me that would pay to see them stand there lifelessly while banging out Aenima or Jambi. I wonder what happened between Aenima and Lateralus that caused their performances to be so flat.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    i'm with ya, they have been playing basically the same set for 10+ yrs (with some minor tweaks).

do they all despise "undertow", they've basically abandoned this album live since the release of Lateralus and that my friends is thievery.
    From 2007-2011, they played Flood and Intolerance more than a few times. Sober has popped up sporadically in 2012-2014, was a mainstay in 2006.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    It seems they played Sweat last night.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    From 2007-2011, they played Flood and Intolerance more than a few times. Sober has popped up sporadically in 2012-2014, was a mainstay in 2006.

come on dude. You know what he means.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Well, here's Sweat. I'm impressed by Maynard's effort honestly, that seemed like a great performance in a song being played for the first time since Bill Clinton was President.