Page 45 of 264 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 95 145 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 7895

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    I never thought that the aliens conspiracy speech from Faaip De Oiad is actually available to listen to in isolated form... but it is!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I forgot that track even existed. I unchecked it from iTunes years ago when I wanted to be able to play Lateralus without having to manually skip through that at the end of the album. Now that it's been so many years since hearing it, I don't hate it...as much.

edit: if you like that phone call, I highly recommend firing up Netflix and watching Season 3 of Torchwood - the five part/five "day" Children of Earth series. Good stuff.
    Last edited by theimage13; 04-14-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Hell yes Art Bell Coast to Coast AM radio, that was good stuff back in the day folks. The guys from Area 51 and shit.

Anyways, I had a vision that the next Tool album was going to be a Thick as a Brick type affair, just a single 80 minute long song. The album packaging will be another extra-dimensional type Alex Grey work, but the disc art will just be a big middle finger, something straight out of an Ugly Kid Joe album. Then Tool will have the last laugh at all you haters that went and bought it anyways.

But seriously though, the end of this month (the 28th thru May 2nd to be exact) marks the 8th anniversary of one of my personal favorite Tool albums, the titanicly overwhelming 10,000 Days. I know this might seem like a long time ago to some of of you, but I remember it like yesterday. I went to a midnight sale at Ernie Novembers, a local record shop. Houses of the Mole came out the same day and so did some fuckin Weezer album if I remember right, along with maye a Radiohead or some other big albums. Anyways, the doors open and I could hear Vicarious was playing. After about 50 people in line ahead of me, and 20 minutes, i get to the front of the line only to be told that they just sold the last one to the dude in front of me. Thankfully I was able to talk my way into buying the promo copy they were listening to, for a cool 10 bucks

What is your 10,000 Days story?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Hell yes Art Bell Coast to Coast AM radio, that was good stuff back in the day folks. The guys from Area 51 and shit.

Anyways, I had a vision that the next Tool album was going to be a Thick as a Brick type affair, just a single 80 minute long song. The album packaging will be another extra-dimensional type Alex Grey work, but the disc art will just be a big middle finger, something straight out of an Ugly Kid Joe album. Then Tool will have the last laugh at all you haters that went and bought it anyways.

But seriously though, the end of this month (the 28th thru May 2nd to be exact) marks the 8th anniversary of one of my personal favorite Tool albums, the titanicly overwhelming 10,000 Days. I know this might seem like a long time ago to some of of you, but I remember it like yesterday. I went to a midnight sale at Ernie Novembers, a local record shop. Houses of the Mole came out the same day and so did some fuckin Weezer album if I remember right, along with maye a Radiohead or some other big albums. Anyways, the doors open and I could hear Vicarious was playing. After about 50 people in line ahead of me, and 20 minutes, i get to the front of the line only to be told that they just sold the last one to the dude in front of me. Thankfully I was able to talk my way into buying the promo copy they were listening to, for a cool 10 bucks

I waited 5 years for it and it didn't live up to my expectations.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    I waited 5 years for it and it didn't live up to my expectations.
    Same here.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Gonna preface this by same I'm not a huge Tool fan, so I haven't spent a TON of time looking, but I've found a lot of their live performances are better than the studio ones, though often poorly recorded. What are your favorite live recordings and/or performances of Tool songs? This video of Sober is amazing, audio quality is a bit meh but other than that I love it. Is there anything else like that out there?

Last edited by ibanez33; 04-19-2014 at 05:11 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I bought my copy on release day - pretty sure it was just at a local store, but it might have been an online order. What I do remember was that at the time, I was a photojournalist and occasionally had to bolt out of the newsroom for spot news (read: car crashes, fires, etc). Every time I did that, the first thing I did when I got in the car was put that CD on and start right up with Vicarious. I hated, hated, hated covering things like crashes, and that song just gave me something sympathetic to listen to on the way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    Gonna preface this by same I'm not a huge Tool fan, so I haven't spent a TON of time looking, but I've found a lot of their live performances are better than the studio ones, though often poorly recorded. What are your favorite live recordings and/or performances of Tool songs? This video of Sober is amazing, audio quality is a bit meh but other than that I love it. Is there anything else like that out there?

Here's a few of my favourites, performance and quality-wise

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Does anyone know where I might find a complete copy of the Sleep Forever bootleg? Apparently I somehow accidentally deleted it from my external hard drive. Any direction pointing would be helpful.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fifey View Post
    any direction pointing would be helpful.
    "point that fuckin finger up your aaaaassssssssssss!"

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'll kick yer ass so hard...something something bootleg joke.

Sorry, I'm a little tired today.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Regarding Maynard's recent Q&A/screening of Manhunter:

"No new information other than him seeming increasingly frustrated with the slow process of making the new Tool album. When someone asked if Tool would consider making a concert video similar to Floyds "The Wall" he answered with "Well, if we could maybe finish the new album first then...yeah, we would consider it." Also with regards to the new album, he asked the audience "Do I seem like a lazy person? Than stop blaming me.""

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wow, that's not good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tool lost me with the 10,000 Days record. When you first bought it, you were too busy tripping balls to that amazing artwork with the 3D glasses that made you have orgasms like a sci fi nerd the first time he sees the special effects of Phantom Menace. OMG THIS IS THE COOLEST SHIT EVER!!!! Then you don't realize it could be disappointing until you actually listen to it. At first, I liked it, but I didn't listen to it much after the first week. You know you have a damn good album in your hands when you're playing it over and over and can never get enough of it. That wasn't the case with 10,000. It was no Aenima by any means. First off the songs were too long, kinda like an Iron Maiden album where every fucking song has to be this long epic story telling experience. Tool typically has 5 minute songs, but on this record, they went totally overboard with stuff like Vicarious, both the Wings songs, Rosetta Stoned, and The Pot. Those songs would have been much better if they were cut down a few minutes instead of all the needless filler thrown in there, but even with this it's still weak cause it sounds like the same old Tool that we have heard on previous albums.

I actually would trade my copy of 10,000 for a brand new copy Aenima if the trippy psychedelic type artwork wasn't so bad ass and still cool to look at nearly a decade later. But I don't think anyone in their right mind wants to get ripped off by trading the best Tool album for the most overrated one of them all no matter how cool the artwork is.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
    It was no Aenima by any means. First off the songs were too long
    Aenima:

Stinkfist (five minutes eleven seconds)

Eulogy (eight minutes twenty-eight seconds)

Forty Six & 2 (six minutes four seconds)

Jimmy (five minutes twenty-four seconds)

Pushit (nine minutes fifty-five seconds)

Aenema (six minutes thirty-nine seconds)

(-) Ions (four minutes, but it's mostly repetitive noise)

Third Eye (thirteen minutes forty-seven seconds)

Nothing wrong with thinking something is too long but if you're complaint is that 10,000 Days has songs that are too long but you think Aenima is their peak, then I'm really confused here. Third Eye is longer than any track on 10,000 Days unless if you combine Wings for Marie. You might say I should add the connecting tracks like Lost Keys to songs like Rosetta Stoned, but then I'd have to add the shorter interlude tracks from Aenima as well, and we'd still be getting nowhere.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    The man has a point.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I loved 10000 Days at first listen, and got totally engrossed in it back there in spring of 2006. I think it's a massive, inventive, challenging, hugely rewarding work to discover, get lost in, and ultimately fall out of love with a bit.

Sure, it's no Lateralus. Every rock band peaks, and 10000 Days is post-peak material. When the new Tool album comes out I believe people will be less harsh about 10000 Days - they'll be too busy bagging on the new one (and it's eventual decoy album[s]).

Also once again: the title 10000 Days is stupid. Especially coming right after fucking Disturbed's Ten Thousand Fists. Tool got that one wrong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Also once again: the title 10000 Days is stupid. Especially coming right after fucking Disturbed's Ten Thousand Fists. Tool got that one wrong.
    The title "10,000 Days" is actually very significant which should be obvious if you've engrossed yourself in it.

Also, I doubt that Tool are even aware of the band Disturbed, let alone the title of any of their albums.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post
    The title "10,000 Days" is actually very significant which should be obvious if you've engrossed yourself in it.
    It's poignant and all, "10,000 days in the fire is long enough," his mother's illness, etc, but in the chronology of album titles it sticks out like a sore thumb:

Opiate
    Undertow
    Ænima
    Salival
    Lateralus

10,000 Days
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-08-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkhammer View Post

Also, I doubt that Tool are even aware of the band Disturbed, let alone the title of any of their albums.
    Yes, I know what it means: it's an approximation of the time his mother was paralyzed. But why give us an approximation? Because 10000 is a square of 100? Because it conjures up an image of an immensely long time by illustrating how many days are approximately in 27 years? That approximation really bugs me.
    Also, titles with numbers in them are always bland and conceptually lazy: 100 Ways To Find Your Inner Peace, etc.

Maynard here tackled head-on a very personal and intimate issue and in my opinion it misfired. For the same reason I find Wings for Marie uncomfortable to listen to: it's too sentimental.

Disturbed's album came out in 2005 and went platinum. We can laugh at how crappy Disturbed are all day, but a decade ago they were among the biggest names in metal and Tool giving their album such a close-sounding title just made them look foolish in my eyes. How many albums with "10000" in the title have there been? They simply should have changed the title instead of forging ahead anyway.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 05-08-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's poignant and all, "10,000 days in the fire is long enough," his mother's illness, etc, but in the chronology of album titles it sticks out like a sore thumb:

Opiate
    Undertow
    Ænima
    Salival
    Lateralus

10,000 Days
    I guess they couldn't come up with a cool enough, made-up, Latin-sounding word
    Last edited by barkhammer; 05-08-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Aenima:

Stinkfist (five minutes eleven seconds)

Eulogy (eight minutes twenty-eight seconds)

Forty Six & 2 (six minutes four seconds)

Jimmy (five minutes twenty-four seconds)

Pushit (nine minutes fifty-five seconds)

Aenema (six minutes thirty-nine seconds)

(-) Ions (four minutes, but it's mostly repetitive noise)

Third Eye (thirteen minutes forty-seven seconds)

Nothing wrong with thinking something is too long but if you're complaint is that 10,000 Days has songs that are too long but you think Aenima is their peak, then I'm really confused here. Third Eye is longer than any track on 10,000 Days unless if you combine Wings for Marie. You might say I should add the connecting tracks like Lost Keys to songs like Rosetta Stoned, but then I'd have to add the shorter interlude tracks from Aenima as well, and we'd still be getting nowhere.
    The main problem with the album was that it sounded like something I had already before multiple times. I clearly stated that, and yeah the songs are a bit too long when it's nothing but filler. I didn't see the problem with that on Aenima's big numbers, as I was entertained, where on 100,000 Days, I was bored.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'm a bit surprised that I didn't get to this post sooner to point about that I'm also a bit surprised to see that this wasn't used at this thread.

Anyway, I'm still a new fan to Tool, and I suppose I still need to give their albums a lot more thorough listens. I've actually listened to Undertow a lot more than I expected to, and have also had Ænima and Lateralus grow on me the quickest. I've also enjoyed 10,000 Days, yet it's still the least listened to so far, yet I'm still taking my time with it, because I suppose it's one of things that can take a while to click for some, and that I'd rather see if I'd like it more than what others are saying about it on my own terms. I think Opiate is all that's left for me to get for now as far as regular LPs and EPs go.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Lateralus is basically 8 songs... (7 if you dont count the outtro, id add up the times but im too lazy right now, and its a 80 minute album so what else do you need to know?)

Grudge
    Eon Blue/The Paitent
    Mantra/Schism
    Parabol/Parabola
    Ticks
    Lateralus
    Disposition/Reflection/Triad
    Faaip

10k Days was their most ambitious and epic work to date, nuff said. To me, its all about quality and not quantity.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I know D, R, and T were meant to be as one track or whatever, but they're three different things in my book. So I can't agree with the above. Not to mention Parabol and Parabola. Eon and P, maybe... Maybe.

I dunno why I'm in this conversation. I nearly forget who Tool is.
    Last edited by Amaro; 05-13-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Aenima
    ----
    Stinkfist
    Eulogy
    H.
    46+2
    HWAP
    Jimmy
    Pushit
    Aenima
    3rd Eye

thats only 9 songs

10kdays
    -----
    Vicarious
    Jambi
    Wings/10kdays
    The Pot
    LK/Rosetta
    Intension
    Right In Two

7 songs if you dont count Int and RI2 as one song...6 if you do..and yes D/R/T are one song it was supposed to be called 'Resolution' before management/label made them break it into 3 tracks

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MONKEYlovesYOU View Post

7 songs if you dont count Int and RI2 as one song...6 if you do..and yes D/R/T are one song it was supposed to be called 'Resolution' before management/label made them break it into 3 tracks
    sometimes management and label get a bad rap. thank god they did that.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MONKEYlovesYOU View Post
    and yes D/R/T are one song it was supposed to be called 'Resolution' before management/label made them break it into 3 tracks
    As I remember it, they were all individual tracks, but "Resolution" was renamed "Reflection" shortly before the release.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    As I remember it, they were all individual tracks, but "Resolution" was renamed "Reflection" shortly before the release.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateralus

Just as Salival was initially released with several errors on the track listing, early pressings of Lateralus had the ninth track incorrectly spelled as "Lateralis".[5] The original title of "Reflection" was "Resolution" before being changed three months prior to the album's release.[6]

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

Tool breaks their songs and intros up like that. Pre 10k Days I remember Adam and Justin mentioning that one of the more mainstream bands they'd been into was The Mars Volta. Listening to Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned, one of my first thoughts was, "TMV would have made this one track with the intro."

For those not aware, TMV's Frances The Mute album is almost 80 minutes of music with 5 songs. For contractual purposes, it would only have been considered an EP due to the number of tracks. So they split the last song up randomly to hit the magic number. Overall, each track is about half music and half ambience.