Page 259 of 264 FirstFirst ... 159 209 249 257 258 259 260 261 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,770 of 7895

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Okay, i might be beating a very dead proverbial horse here, but at the time when Tool catalog hit streaming sites, their demo EP was briefly available and then quickly pulled. What's the status on this? The Sony BMG got no proper rights or the band put a veto on it?
    Did you see they released a thumb drive that looks like a cassette, with no music on it?

https://store.toolband.com/product/T...-drive?cp=null

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    Did you see they released a thumb drive that looks like a cassette, with no music on it?

And it's only 64gb. Who the fuck wants a thumb drive that small these days?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Ah, this is a product then, and it means they got the rights to imagery of the demo EP.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    you know, i very much doubt it uses fast memory chips and it's very probably usb 2.0 still *yeah, says so on the page*, so writing just one gib takes like 15 minutes (like take a nap while it copies) and for the 64 or more i'd rather get portable ssd these days
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 02-19-2023 at 09:17 AM. Reason: details

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I remember back when I was in the fan club in the 90s, they would send you newsletters in the mail w/ stuff about ordering merchandise like t-shirts "if you're into that sort of thing." They seemed to be making fun of the idea of band merch... and now they're selling skulls and blank usb drives.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Is it silly to say this reminds me of what I did with the Uncoiled digipaks? "Sorry folks, can't really give you the music, but here's everything you need to have something official looking to put music on." As much as I appreciate a physical object in this era of ephemeral downloads, Tool sure does manufacture a lot of physical objects. There's part of me that thinks, if the market is there, isn't it silly to ignore that?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    There's part of me that thinks, if the market is there, isn't it silly to ignore that?
    When I see the absurd stuff Tool offers, or the dad stuff NIN puts out, I can't help but wonder if their thinking isn't just "yeah we did cool stuff for a good 20 years, that shit is tired and bland now. Let's just have fun with it."

I mean, I certainly am not in the market for a plastic translucent skull or a TDS umbrella, but whoever has the inclination and the disposable income, godspeed, enjoy !
    What, do we really want one more tool logo T-shirt ? Would we really buy it ? Anyone can print their own stuff now, posters, T-shirts, items... I can order myself a "sober" whisky flask if I want.
    I'd probably end up in the same place if I were them, honestly.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Lol my first incredibly random and off-topic thought when I saw this: I work IT and got a gimmicky USB drive at a vendor event. Its like a gold bar with the USB insert that slid out. The weight of the gimmicky part makes the USB unusable. You have to prop it up or it looses contact. I saw this item on another message board and was like "That's great if you want a 64 GB paperweight, because that end will make it unusable."

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

I was going to say that was dumb, but then I realised we can just put our own files of the demo on there to make it complete.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I was going to say that was dumb, but then I realised we can just put our own files of the demo on there to make it complete.
    Or like, y'know, put whatever the fuck you want on it because it's a USB drive that will awkwardly fit into a slot on your computer and prevent any other drives from accessing their associated ports...

I mean, I'm with @Leviathant here that they should sell what they can, if people want it give it to them... and I am a fan of the physical artifact when it comes to music. I just think this USB drive thing's a little silly. So is the skull, but whatever. If people wanna buy it, let them. Sell Tool bongs, butt plugs, wine, whatever.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-22-2023 at 01:34 AM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    y'know what would have made the cassette/usb-drive thing cool? If the USB connection head was attached to something like the tape feed from a cassette tape. Then it wouldn't be completely useless as an actual thing, and would be kinda cool to have.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    y'know what would have made the cassette/usb-drive thing cool? If the USB connection head was attached to something like the tape feed from a cassette tape. Then it wouldn't be completely useless as an actual thing, and would be kinda cool to have.
    In the sense that USB A-plug being on the wire that's rolled in within the cassette? That woulda make some sense, but then it's not what Tool is about, so.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Buzz and Mackie Osborne were on the latest episode of the Making Ways podcast, talking about the art of Melvins music, but Mackie also talked about some other things she's doing, including this bit about Tool reissues about 11 minutes into the episode:

"I'm also working on some really limited edition things for Tool who are rereleasing all of their back catalog on this very limited edition package. And then they're also gonna rerelease all the back catalog in kind of the standard way. Standard for them, which is not standard... but they'll be mass produced. There's a limited edition thing that's going to be very limited. And then they're rereleasing 10,000 Days which has never been on vinyl."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It's kind of refreshing to get legitimate news without it being some cryptic Blair bullshit, or having to roll my eyes and say "Yeah, okay." when it comes from Danny. Leave it to someone not even in the Tool camp to break actual Tool news to be excited about.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    It's kind of refreshing to get legitimate news without it being some cryptic Blair bullshit, or having to roll my eyes and say "Yeah, okay." when it comes from Danny. Leave it to someone not even in the Tool camp to break actual Tool news to be excited about.
    haha, yep.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Another skull coming...this time full life-size 1:1 scale. So anyone that said "wow this is cool and while I'd rather have full-size if I don't buy this I'll surely have FOMO" *forks over several hundred dollars* got capitalism'd.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Another skull coming...this time full life-size 1:1 scale. So anyone that said "wow this is cool and while I'd rather have full-size if I don't buy this I'll surely have FOMO" *forks over several hundred dollars* got capitalism'd.
    I just discovered, and I'm not sure if it was ever discussed here, but did anyone know for the previous half scale version, the autographed version that was $500 more expensive, the autographs came ON THE FUCKING BOX? That's fucking horrible. They should have signed the base.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I just discovered, and I'm not sure if it was ever discussed here, but did anyone know for the previous half scale version, the autographed version that was $500 more expensive, the autographs came ON THE FUCKING BOX? That's fucking horrible. They should have signed the base.
    No fuckin' way. lol wooooooooooof.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    chefs kiss dot gif

LOL!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    No fuckin' way. lol wooooooooooof.
    Yup! There's pics on this reddit post.

And then this person contacted them and got a ridiculous response.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Yup! There's pics on this reddit post.

And then this person contacted them and got a ridiculous response.
    That’s not really ridiculous. Lots of signed collectibles don’t have signatures on the actual items. Most that do usually got an autograph in person at the request of the person getting the autograph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I'm gonna hold out for the Skull of the Month subscription club.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    That’s not really ridiculous. Lots of signed collectibles don’t have signatures on the actual items. Most that do usually got an autograph in person at the request of the person getting the autograph.

I don't think many people expected them to sign the skull itself. But that base is the perfect place to sign. That box is huge and bulky. No one displays those. They either go in the trash or the closet. An extra $500 for autographs was a ripoff to begin with. But to have those autographs on the box is absolutely ridiculous.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not really concerned about the skull thing either way. Lots and lots of people buy Alex Gray’s art and work regardless of its connection to Tool. I have no idea what the quality of the skull is but it’s a display piece. I collect tons of stupid shit and lots of them go in a display case.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I don't think many people expected them to sign the skull itself. But that base is the perfect place to sign. That box is huge and bulky. No one displays those. They either go in the trash or the closet. An extra $500 for autographs was a ripoff to begin with. But to have those autographs on the box is absolutely ridiculous.
    I don’t want this to turn into a whole Thing but lots of collectors don’t want the items opened prior to receiving them.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I don’t want this to turn into a whole Thing but lots of collectors don’t want the items opened prior to receiving them.
    I can understand that. In this case I think they should have been more clear. When this was announced, I assumed the band would be autographing the base so had I ordered it (lol) I would have also thought "wtf?" upon finding a signed box. That said, I wouldn't consider myself a collector, either.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I can understand that. In this case I think they should have been more clear. When this was announced, I assumed the band would be autographing the base so had I ordered it (lol) I would have also thought "wtf?" upon finding a signed box. That said, I wouldn't consider myself a collector, either.
    I don’t buy autographed stuff unless I, personally, am getting the autograph. I don’t understand the appeal of ordering signed stuff. It doesn’t matter to me that someone held something I am now holding.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

IMO the full-scale version is more interesting visually but that's where it ends for me. I wouldn't want it if someone gave it to me.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The new one looks better, but yea, not sure who is ordering this since it seems like they couldn't get rid of the first ones. That thing is going to be north of $1500.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    New album? no.
    Vinyl reissue? no.
    New tour? no.
    Moving on.