Page 256 of 263 FirstFirst ... 156 206 246 254 255 256 257 258 ... LastLast
Results 7,651 to 7,680 of 7888

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Yeah, because when he sings “so glad to see you have” and “so glad to see you well” it kind of sounds like the same word.

Also, someone else said “try listening to it [in Blue] as if he’s saying ‘Calling out to machines, turning blue’ and you can never unhear it”. To this day I still hear that sometimes, haha.
    Growing up, I always thought it was "Calling out to us, she's turning Blue." I never heard the machines one, and now I hear it for sure! Hahaa

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Thanks for posting that spoiler. I wish it was more than a song and a video. Whatever.

That's the double-edged sword when you cast a mystique upon your work...all the Blair journals all those years and cryptic shit and whatnot...hard to put that back in the tube when you want to get "serious", for lack of a better word. <looks around> But it's not like we'd know anything about that.
    I think it’s partly that and partly just the era. The mystique thing was more interesting before the ability to connect with other idiots was so easy and commonplace. Plus Maynard does have an uncanny ability to write lyrics that can be interpreted in very diverse and personal ways.

(One reason I think 10k Days was unpopular was that other Tool albums gave people answers. “Question authority, religion is bad, fuck LA, fist each other, spiral out spiritually, etc. 10k Days was much more personal and raised questions. It didn’t give people answers.)

There was that weird limbo in, like, 2003-2013 where we had BBSs and stuff but still assumed no one was looking. On the APCdotNet site we used to talk shit about songs sometimes and get lyrics wrong without really wondering if anyone looked at it. Even though we knew Billy Howerdel posted there occasionally and the admin knew the band.

Same with the Toolshed site. The owner knew the band members but the whole forum assumed that the band never looked at it.

Now I converse regularly with the showrunners for my favorite streaming shows on twitter and Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Oh, man. I was team “aftermath.” The aMOTION commentaries are great. I think they even printed the lyrics to all the songs included because we had The Noose wrong, too.

And here I was, 19 years later still thinking it was aftermath

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The recent Tool shows were the first largely unmasked major crowd things I’ve been to in a hot minute. Naturally, I get covid, lol. Sigh. I work in the healthcare industry and am shocked it’s taken this long though, honestly. Careful out there, folks.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    The recent Tool shows were the first largely unmasked major crowd things I’ve been to in a hot minute. Naturally, I get covid, lol. Sigh. I work in the healthcare industry and am shocked it’s taken this long though, honestly. Careful out there, folks.
    Yeah, I got sick after Cleveland. Doesn’t seem to be Covid but I guess I should have worn a mask anyway.

Take it easy and hope you feel better.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Hope you feel better soon!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Since Opiate2 is out, please release a 2-disc DE of Undertow featuring stuff like this.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    big fucking eyeroll
    I spoiled it for you, you just didn't realize it at the time

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I spoiled it for you, you just didn't realize it at the time
    Me rn:

LOL

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    FI vinyl arrived today. Ridiculousness of the 5 discs for 6 tracks and some filler aside...this is a really impressive package. And heavy.

And FYI, as of this second, it's $158.xx on Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09T8F2Z...roduct_details

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    FI vinyl arrived today. Ridiculousness of the 5 discs for 6 tracks and some filler aside...this is a really impressive package. And heavy.

And FYI, as of this second, it's $158.xx on Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09T8F2Z...roduct_details
    Where did you order from? I got screwed on a preorder of a record from Amazon, like they extended when I was going to get it and then just canceled the order a few months after that, so I decided I didn't want to risk it again. I order my set through Revolver which I have had good luck with in the past, just a bit slow to ship.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadeout54321 View Post
    Where did you order from? I got screwed on a preorder of a record from Amazon, like they extended when I was going to get it and then just canceled the order a few months after that, so I decided I didn't want to risk it again. I order my set through Revolver which I have had good luck with in the past, just a bit slow to ship.
    I pre-ordered from Amazon when it was $133.xx or whatever it was. Basically right as it went up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I think it’s partly that and partly just the era. The mystique thing was more interesting before the ability to connect with other idiots was so easy and commonplace. Plus Maynard does have an uncanny ability to write lyrics that can be interpreted in very diverse and personal ways.

(One reason I think 10k Days was unpopular was that other Tool albums gave people answers. “Question authority, religion is bad, fuck LA, fist each other, spiral out spiritually, etc. 10k Days was much more personal and raised questions. It didn’t give people answers.)

There was that weird limbo in, like, 2003-2013 where we had BBSs and stuff but still assumed no one was looking. On the APCdotNet site we used to talk shit about songs sometimes and get lyrics wrong without really wondering if anyone looked at it. Even though we knew Billy Howerdel posted there occasionally and the admin knew the band.

Same with the Toolshed site. The owner knew the band members but the whole forum assumed that the band never looked at it.

Now I converse regularly with the showrunners for my favorite streaming shows on twitter and Facebook.

I actually think it's the other way around. Older songs like Eulogy or Ticks and Leeches can apply to different people in different situations. The ambiguity allows for the listener to bring more of themselves to the music because it isn't clear specifically who those songs were written about. You can't bring that to Wings for Marie because the listener knows too specifically who that song is about, and I don't know that person or feel any particular way about her.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

got mine yesterday, haven't had a chance to open the actual packaging but I did open the box to see it and feel how heavy it is. wow, very impressive.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by think i'm a fire engine View Post
    I actually think it's the other way around. Older songs like Eulogy or Ticks and Leeches can apply to different people in different situations. The ambiguity allows for the listener to bring more of themselves to the music because it isn't clear specifically who those songs were written about. You can't bring that to Wings for Marie because the listener knows too specifically who that song is about, and I don't know that person or feel any particular way about her.
    Id like to think so too, but I've been to too many Tool concerts and met too many Tool fans, who only bring what they think the song is about to the table at the most surface level. No way the majority of Tool fans even know anything about his mother, despite also being APC fans and loving a song like Judith (which they think of as just a "fuck your god" anthem), much less what Wings for Marie is about - despite it being in the name of the damn song.

They also probably don't even realize the way more obvious double entendres like Stinkfist or Aenema. I love Tool but some of their fans are THE WORST I've ever encountered across hundreds of concerts in the last 20 years.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I think Maynard’s lyrics in general tend to be very broadly appealing. He writes very emotional and very angry and very visceral songs that can be interpreted fairly openly.

I feel like a song like Wings For Marie helped me reflect on feelings I had when family members died. Yes, it’s directly about his mother. But it’s still a universal feeling that touches me deeply even today.

Maybe you’re right, though, that 10k Days tracks are more specific. I just feel like there’s a certain discomfort lots of fans felt. Maybe that’s them not being able to take away what they wanted from it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    They also probably don't even realize the way more obvious double entendres like Stinkfist or Aenema. I love Tool but some of their fans are THE WORST I've ever encountered across hundreds of concerts in the last 20 years.
    Tool fans generally are awful bc, yeah, they miss it all. I love Rosetta Stoned bc while it seems to be based in part on someone’s actual trip, it also serves as a send-up of Tool fans looking for any deep meaning in anything.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Great interview with Adam Jones about Lateralus, he’s quite chatty and eager to talk about the experience behind the recording and era of that album. Nothing new for the hardcore fan, but still a fun read: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/cu...lbum-lateralus

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Great interview with Adam Jones about Lateralus, he’s quite chatty and eager to talk about the experience behind the recording and era of that album. Nothing new for the hardcore fan, but still a fun read: https://www.revolvermag.com/music/cu...lbum-lateralus
    This was lovely:

"Lateralus," "Schism," "The Grudge," "Parabola" — these are monumental achievements. And Jones knows it. "I'm a fan! I really like our stuff. I geek out on it," he says. "I recently put up an Instagram video where my kid's in the car and we're listening to 'daddy's music.' Our stuff's just slamming, and I pan to the back and our kid's asleep. It was this funny moment. A lot of the comments were like, 'God, don't you have better things to do than listen to your own music?' Yeah, I listen to our music! I'm really proud of what we do, and that's the way it should be.
    "To have the talent and luck to be with these guys, to be married to these guys, I could die tomorrow and be the happiest guy."

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    The boys are playing 7empest again

Did Danny fuck up a little bit in the section that starts at 12:13?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    The boys are playing 7empest again

Did Danny fuck up a little bit in the section that starts at 12:13?
    Hard to tell, the song just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on....

(Not a complaint you hear me make about tool songs very often, but I feel like tempest is just padded out to get to an 80 minute cd)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    They’ve been doing Ticks & Leeches as well.

First time in full since 2012:

Last edited by Erneuert; 05-22-2022 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Hard to tell, the song just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on....

(Not a complaint you hear me make about tool songs very often, but I feel like tempest is just padded out to get to an 80 minute cd)
    I don't feel like it's padded out "just" to make the song long. I really think they simply like listening to and playing longer songs they can zone out to. That's the essential Tool vibe.

They used to do simple things to make their penchant for longevity easier on the listener. Wings is two different tracks. Disp/Refl/Triad is 3. The intro to Parabola and Rosetta Stoned were separated. Lateralus had a band approved radio edit. Vicarious and the Pot both seem designed to be the straightforward cuts surrounded by more dense material, which made them good singles and staples of their live show. They just didn't do any of that on Fear Inoculum.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I don't feel like it's padded out "just" to make the song long. I really think they simply like listening to and playing longer songs they can zone out to. That's the essential Tool vibe.

They used to do simple things to make their penchant for longevity easier on the listener. Wings is two different tracks. Disp/Refl/Triad is 3. The intro to Parabola and Rosetta Stoned were separated. Lateralus had a band approved radio edit. Vicarious and the Pot both seem designed to be the straightforward cuts surrounded by more dense material, which made them good singles and staples of their live show. They just didn't do any of that on Fear Inoculum.
    I’m not sure I feel like there are any good places to cut songs into separate tracks on lots of these songs.

I don’t think 7empest is “padded” but I do personally find it a bit sprawling and slightly disorganized for my taste after the second verse.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    A new FI vinyl is released, 3 discs instead of 5, for $67, only one side is etched: https://shop.revolvermag.com/product...17ff2378&_ss=r

Still no Litanie contre la Peur

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    A new FI vinyl is released, 3 discs instead of 5, for $67, only one side is etched: https://shop.revolvermag.com/product...17ff2378&_ss=r

Still no Litanie contre la Peur
    Also just noticed the big box set is on sale on Amazon right now for just over $100.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Who didn't see that coming

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Why has Litanie not been included?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Why has Litanie not been included?
    Perhaps they didn't want to make the second side start with it? Wouldn't have bothered me too much, but I get that choice, if that's the reason.