Page 245 of 264 FirstFirst ... 145 195 235 243 244 245 246 247 255 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,350 of 7895

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Fuck, that really sucks. I am sorry that happened to you. Tool's fan club is such horse shit, they desperately need to get their shit together. They should have at least given you the closest floor ticket that wasn't VIP since the regular sale hasn't happened yet.

EDIT: Wow, now that I've looked, it seems to have happened to a TON of people.
    Thanks. I saw on Facebook or Reddit that some people got emails offering to sell them another package so I sent an email with a complaint (because I bought Gold all of the other packages were gone and now I was out of luck). Some days passed then I got an email offering to let me buy "P1" at face value. Some others got something similar at various venues. No one knew what P1 was but speculation was ticketmaster platinum seats. I responded yes I was interested but wanted to know what seats they were and the price. I was told they don't know, that ticketmaster would call me.

A few hours later (today), I get an email that bronze tickets became available and if I was interested in those she would send me a link to buy it, so I did. She also refunded my VIP membership "as a thank you for your patience through all of this." I assume that means my membership is not actually cancelled just that I don't have to pay for it this year.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    They've put out a ton of stuff, but it's worth it. I love the Melvins a lot. More than Tool even. Don't get me wrong, I like Tool, but the Melvins keep me more actively engaged as they never stop touring or putting out new music.
    Melvins are one of those bands where the frontman has an attitude problem that winds up overshadowing the music, for me at least.

I've seen them a few times. Again, they aren't awful or anything.
    But King Buzzo seems to think that his band is/should be more important than Nirvana.
    The more interviews he does, the less I like his act.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    But King Buzzo seems to think that his band is/should be more important than Nirvana.
    He definitely hasn't said that. He's straight up said he's perfectly satisfied with their level of success. It's a pretty rare thing that a band can be that productive and make a living for that long. But yes, he's very outspoken and is aware of and proud of how many bands the Melvins influenced. And his outspokenness rubs a lot of people the wrong way, understandably.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    He definitely hasn't said that. He's straight up said he's perfectly satisfied with their level of success. It's a pretty rare thing that a band can be that productive and make a living for that long. But yes, he's very outspoken and is aware of and proud of how many bands the Melvins influenced. And his outspokenness rubs a lot of people the wrong way, understandably.
    I think he did say that if Kurt Cobain had been an ugly guy, Nirvana would not had been as popular. It seems to me that Buzz was more bitter back in the day, but he has mellowed out now. @elevenism you should give ‘em a chance, Lysol is the heaviest album recorded by any band, and A Senile Animal is a masterpiece as well. Their newer output is not as interesting, but they have interesting stuff in their back catalog. Listen to Stoner Witch, Pigs of the Roman Empire, Bullhead, Houdini, The Maggot, Eggnog, all good stuff. There’s a reason why they opened for NIN and Tool.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    When did the Melvins open up for NIN?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Aenima tour, 1998. Melvins were promoting Honky. Buzz Osborne played at the Coachella stop of the tour, during Spasm and You Lied:

Edit: sorry @Krazy , for some reason I read Tool! Melvins opened during the Downward Spiral tour, Jan-Feb of 1995.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 10-13-2021 at 07:20 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Sorry for the double post. Now that we are speaking of the subject, some NIN and Tool spotting from the Melvins' book "Smoke Pot and Kill Your Parents" (@elevenism this bit talks about the set you saw of the Melvins in Dallas, opening up for NIN)

Quote Originally Posted by "Smoke Pot and Kill Your Parents Book" View Post
    The Kiss-fans didn't really care about the Melvins, there was neither frenetic applause nor ennervated boos: They clapped kindly and waited patiently for the main band. Osborne: "Despite all of that Kiss were the nicest guys. They were a totally cool band to open for. (...) Complete gentlemen to us, not only them but also their crew. (...) The biggest bands we've ever played with like Nine Inch Nails, Kiss, Rush, were the coolest bands. The nicest bands you would ever want to play with, you know. The bands we have the most problem with are these tiny little fuck off bands. Who have the biggest attitudes in the world.

(...)

The Melvins continued - like always when they don't happen to be in a studio for recording - to tour intensively, amongst others with commercially more successful bands like Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Rush, and White Zombie. Tom Hazelmyer, the boss of Amphetamine Reptile Records, say: "The Melvins have always been a band's band and people started offering them all of these stadium tours around that time. I don't think Rob Zombie cared that the Melvins knew Nirvana -he was a fan of the band, period. If you look at all of those tours they did, them getting asked out was due more to a headliner thinking those guys were the shit than a headliner thinking that the Melvins were going to bring the audience. Because they'd usually take the opportunity to fuck with people.

The fans of Tool and Nine Inch Nails were by trend younger than the Kiss-fans and didn't really hold back that they couldn't get what the Melvins were doing and that they wanted them to leave the stage as soon as possible for the main act. Osborne: "When your put yourself in the position of opening for a band when the audience isn't interested in hearing what you're doing, it doesn't take a whole lot of prodding for them to go crazy. I mean, put 20,000 people in a room and how many of them will actually like what we're doing? I wasn't devastated by that at all - it really didn't mean a lot to me

Quite the contrary: It's one of the Melvins' characteristics to offend sensibilities and see how far they can go. Joe Preston: "Buzz really enjoyed playing to a hostile audience, a total stacked deck. I don't think people dislike them as much as they used to, so I get the feeling that now Buzz has to try harder to piss people off.

Deutrom describes another attribute of the Melvins very well, namely doing exactly those things that are NOT expected - and maybe anger a part of the recipients: "Anybody who has seen the Melvins will tell you there's a point where they're going to test your attention span, even to die hard fans. Prick (the album) would be a primer example of that - things you can't really listen to. There's a certain amount of arrogance and pride in that, and of course I took part happily in that type of attitude when I was in the band. Some of the more notorious examples of that are when we played in Dallas with Nine Inch Nails and we opened the set with a 9+ minute long instrumental. Nine Inch Nails fans don't want to hear that stuff, so the audience melted down and ripped up the seats in this minor league hockey arena and threw them at us". Deutrom further. "Of course there's a historical precedent to all of this that goes back to Paganini intentionally breaking three strings on his violin. But with the Melvins, it's all an extension of Buzz's personality and it's derived from a punk rock ethic. The old stand-by was to just let the feedback drone on for 15 minutes. It was a no-brainer. And if you loved the band, then you probably looked forward to moments like that, just to see how everyone around you would react. It's as much of a trademark for the Melvins as Gene Simmons blowing fire is for Kiss".
    I don't know, man. I love the Melvins. This is a photo of Buzz with me before a show from the "Nude With Boots" tour, 13 years (!) ago.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I think he did say that if Kurt Cobain had been an ugly guy, Nirvana would not had been as popular. It seems to me that Buzz was more bitter back in the day, but he has mellowed out now. @elevenism you should give ‘em a chance, Lysol is the heaviest album recorded by any band, and A Senile Animal is a masterpiece as well. Their newer output is not as interesting, but they have interesting stuff in their back catalog. Listen to Stoner Witch, Pigs of the Roman Empire, Bullhead, Houdini, The Maggot, Eggnog, all good stuff. There’s a reason why they opened for NIN and Tool.
    "At the stake" from Stoner Witch is the standout melvins track for me. When the chorus 1 and 2 hit (second may be better with the drum fills), it is so fucking brutal and satisfying. First time i heard it many years back, i wanted to puke.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    So I caved and I bought a blanket front the TOOL store and I love it. I got the larger size and although I haven’t had a chance to use it yet (it came today) it feels great. See below:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    I saw Tenacious D open up for TOOL in ‘98 and the crowd was so rude to them that Maynard came out on stage and basically told everyone that he hand picked TD to open and if anyone had a problem then they could fuck off out of the arena.
    Wow, I never knew they opened for them. That's honestly pretty awesome that they did!

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    You don't know about the legendary bit where angry NIN fans at a dallas show pulled up the floor and threw it at Melvins, unwittingly exposing hockey ice that had only been halfheartedly covered, leading into people moshing on ice, during Trent's "Attitude Era?"
    I BELIEVE it was '94.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    You don't know about the legendary bit where angry NIN fans at a dallas show pulled up the floor and threw it at Melvins, unwittingly exposing hockey ice that had only been halfheartedly covered, leading into people moshing on ice, during Trent's "Attitude Era?"
    I BELIEVE it was '94.
    No, can’t say I’ve ever came across that story. Only recall Hole, the circus, and Manson as openers during the TDS arena tour.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    No, can’t say I’ve ever came across that story. Only recall Hole, the circus, and Manson as openers during the TDS arena tour.
    Oh, wow dude. It was hilarious. It was in feb of 95, and was my second NIN show.
    I was there I've told the story a few times around here.
    The show was at the "fair park colosseum," aka the Dog Show Building. There had been a run of SOMETHING "on ice'" the week before. They just covered up the ice with THIN particle board.
    Long story short, the kids had pulled up the wood before the fucking house lights went off. They were using big pieces of it to fling people like WAY up in the air, and then catching them.
    When Melvins came out, the people in GA (aka the majority of people there) had torn the wood to bits and began throwing it at Buzzo and co. To their credit, they didn't leave the stage. Rather, they improvised a tune about people throwing shit at him.

Trent had to come out and threaten to cancel the NIN set if anymore shit was thrown.
    A few months later, Melvins came out to the SAME broke dick venue to open for tool, and king buzz had a big ass chip on his shoulder. And we knocked it off for him. We booed them off of the stage.
    It was all a big fucking joke, really, ESPECIALLY the Tool bit.

Edit: there was a TDS ARENA tour?
    I saw them on October 29 1994, and February 11 1995. It was called FDTS.
    I saw Mason and Jim Rose and Melvins as openers, between the two, but neither of those shows were at any kind of arena.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-14-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Edit: there was a TDS ARENA tour?
    I saw them on October 29 1994, and February 11 1995. It was called FDTS.
    I saw Mason and Jim Rose and Melvins as openers, between the two, but neither of those shows were at any kind of arena.
    Yeah, the FDTS tour venues was mostly arenas if you look at nintourhistory. My first NIN concert was at the Madison, WI arena. The Kohl Center had yet to be built. This arena is actually still there and has been slightly upgraded. Seen Slipknot and APC there in recent years.

http://nintourhistory.com/tour.php?tourid=12

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Yeah, the FDTS tour venues was mostly arenas if you look at nintourhistory. My first NIN concert was at the Madison, WI arena. The Kohl Center had yet to be built. This arena is actually still there and has been slightly upgraded. Seen Slipknot and APC there in recent years.

http://nintourhistory.com/tour.php?tourid=12
    That's a trip!

The Dallas FTDS shows were at the Texas state fair colosseum, aka the Dog Show Building.

It's a rectangular building, with seats on each side, facing EACH OTHER, and NOT the stage, because it was built for people to watch the dog action on the floor. The floor was the GA.

I saw both NIN and Tool there a couple of times, and I THINK A Perfect Circle?
    My mind is going. I can feel it

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    New Dunable Guitar AD with Justin.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Off-topic, but a couple posts up people were talking about Buzzo's attitude. You can read any of his tour blogs on Spin to see how absolutely garbage his personality is, but this one mentions NIN, so it may be of interest to this board. (featured descriptions of NIN: stupid, idiots, "weak, elevator music synth crap", etc.)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Buzz has always come off like a bitter asshole. In every interview, he makes sure to point out how much Kurt was so inspired by them. He left out the part about how the only album by Nirvana that has ANY Melvins influence sold like 50 copies at the time. I have seen him make comments in the past about how Mike Patton and Kurt and Cornell partially got fame because of their looks. He left out the part about how all 3 have incredible singing ability whereas Buzz' vocals sound like the cookie monster. The irony out of all of this is the ONLY Melvins album that ever sold well was the one Kurt produced lmao

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Off-topic, but a couple posts up people were talking about Buzzo's attitude. You can read any of his tour blogs on Spin to see how absolutely garbage his personality is, but this one mentions NIN, so it may be of interest to this board. (featured descriptions of NIN: stupid, idiots, "weak, elevator music synth crap", etc.)
    Oh boy. Did he use to ghost write reviews for Pitchfork by any chance?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Tool

I read up until the line that you posted. This guy sucks. I could never get into Melvins. Their whole catalog to me is…how did he put it? The sound of a shrug written out” or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ItsChrisRoss; 11-05-2021 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    This was NIN’s Downward Spiral tour, which ended up being the bands zenith, meaning it was their biggest and most interesting album along with the biggest and most semi-interesting point in their career. I honestly didn’t know much about NIN before this tour. I mean I knew they were popular with the MTV baby rock crowd and that they had sold a lot of records but I had never actually listened to one of them. Why would I? I usually have no interest in checking out what sort of bands the baby rockers dig. This is as a result of almost always hating whatever bands the baby rockers dig.
    That’s not hard to do. The baby rockers are wrong. Wrong about everything actually.
    I had seen the NIN video they had out then that looked like a total burn of a Joel-Peter Witkin photo. The video was OK, I guess, and surprisingly enough the chorus to this baby rocker hit was “I want to fuck you like an animal,” which I couldn’t get my head around because the music that goes along with this “fuck-you-like-an-animal” sex boast sounds like weak, elevator music synth crap and would by no means lead you to believe the singer is capable of doing anything “like an animal.” I suppose he could get fucked like an animal, but that’s not what he’s saying.
    I suppose he could be writing in the “third person,” but I ain’t buying that either.

LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    For a guy who pretends to not care about anything, he sure goes on for a long time about how much he dislikes NIN...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    new dunable guitar ad with justin.

it'll melt your face off!!!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    This was NIN’s Downward Spiral tour, which ended up being the bands zenith, meaning it was their biggest and most interesting album along with the biggest and most semi-interesting point in their career. I honestly didn’t know much about NIN before this tour. I mean I knew they were popular with the MTV baby rock crowd and that they had sold a lot of records but I had never actually listened to one of them. Why would I? I usually have no interest in checking out what sort of bands the baby rockers dig. This is as a result of almost always hating whatever bands the baby rockers dig.
    That’s not hard to do. The baby rockers are wrong. Wrong about everything actually.
    I had seen the NIN video they had out then that looked like a total burn of a Joel-Peter Witkin photo. The video was OK, I guess, and surprisingly enough the chorus to this baby rocker hit was “I want to fuck you like an animal,” which I couldn’t get my head around because the music that goes along with this “fuck-you-like-an-animal” sex boast sounds like weak, elevator music synth crap and would by no means lead you to believe the singer is capable of doing anything “like an animal.” I suppose he could get fucked like an animal, but that’s not what he’s saying.
    I suppose he could be writing in the “third person,” but I ain’t buying that either.

LOL
    Buzz Osborne in Vice 2013. What gives?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/6473...le-stream-song

"What’s a modern guilty pleasure for you?
    Nothing comes to mind. I’m not afraid to like stuff. I’m certainly not afraid to say I like it. There’s not enough good music out there to be that picky. So, once in a while, I agree with the masses. Not always. I like Nine Inch Nails. The Downward Spiral record, I didn’t think I would like that. I thought that was good. I hate Mötley Crüe but I like that song, “Dr. Feelgood.” It sounded like Van Halen. I wouldn’t buy it though. I can’t think of anything new that would be a guilty pleasure. You know what record I like? New music but not by a new artist, Tom Wait’s newest record. I think that was one of the best things he’s ever done. It’s been out a couple years now but that was really good. It was really fucking great. Who would’ve thought? It’s a weird-ass album. He can do that. He’s not afraid. Guys like that give me inspiration. I’m not a Paul McCartney fan but my friend took me to see him about 8 years ago. He was fucking good! I have to admit. He certainly wasn’t playing to no fucking tapes, that’s for sure."

to go back on topic to Tool, I’m going to see them next year and I haven’t heard one song from them so I’d better get on it. I kind of assume I’ll like them because I love metal and prog. I loved Maynard’s voice in that Potions song he did
    Last edited by WorzelG; 11-12-2021 at 01:13 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It wouldn’t be TOOL without having nothing to talk about except things that aren’t about TOOL. 2019 was fun

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    On topic: here's a collaboration Justin did with Aric Improta, it's pretty good!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Shit that was dope! Get them together with Klinghoffer!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stankeybearlover View Post
    Shit that was dope! Get them together with Klinghoffer!
    he's busy though.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    This is hardly relevant to Tool but seeing as they're supposed to be opening for them on upcoming dates for the Spring 2022 European tour.

Did anyone see what the singer for the band Brass Against did recently? It's NSFW if you intend on looking it up.

I hadn't even heard of them until this incident. Thoughts?

It seemed like it was consensual for the person it happened to, less so for the audience i guess.

Disgusted? Aroused? Indifferent?

Will this get them booted from the tour?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    This is hardly relevant to Tool but seeing as they're supposed to be opening for them on upcoming dates for the Spring 2022 European tour.

Did anyone see what the singer for the band Brass Against did recently? It's NSFW if you intend on looking it up.

I hadn't even heard of them until this incident. Thoughts?

It seemed like it was consensual for the person it happened to, less so for the audience i guess.

Disgusted? Aroused? Indifferent?

Will this get them booted from the tour?
    MJK might adopt her into his Puscifer family. Going off of his media persona, he's probably into it. You'd better watch out, Carina!

She did it while repeating the line 'I think I heard a shot'? Could've been way funnier if she expelled something else.

Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Damn, I was hoping he'd jump back on his post-punk shoegaze bike.