Page 188 of 263 FirstFirst ... 88 138 178 186 187 188 189 190 198 238 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,640 of 7887

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    Tool @ Nokia Theater 2010.
    Saw them there in 2007 (my first Tool show) and 2010. Definitely not a small venue, but not a huge arena, either.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I saw them for the 1st time in summer of 93 at Waterloo Village when they were playing Lollapalooza ...I went with my cousin who is 15 years older than me. Specifically wanting to see Alice In Chains, Tool and Dinosaur Jr (dope fucking lineup)....I had gotten Undertow when it came out at Sam Goody so I knew the album by heart by the time I saw them. I remember some people in the crowd didnt seem familiar with the Undertow songs yet seemed to know the Opiate era songs which was odd....They only played 7 or so songs but 12 year old me was super fucking impressed.....

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Imagine seeing Tool in a small venue?
    I saw them in Cleveland back in 2001 or so, 12 rows from the stage, from seats in GA. There was a lot of complaining about there being chairs on the floor, but I thought it was fucking awesome. Might as well have been a club show, from my perspective.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not sure if it’s been posted but the track lengths are up on iTunes.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    not a single 6 minute banger - they could not have released a more radio-unfriendly album. I love it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So, CCTrip and filler tracks aside, there are only three songs we haven't heard. That's a shame. That said, those three songs total over 35 minutes, so that's cool.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I saw them for the 1st time in summer of 93 at Waterloo Village when they were playing Lollapalooza ...I went with my cousin who is 15 years older than me. Specifically wanting to see Alice In Chains, Tool and Dinosaur Jr (dope fucking lineup)....I had gotten Undertow when it came out at Sam Goody so I knew the album by heart by the time I saw them. I remember some people in the crowd didnt seem familiar with the Undertow songs yet seemed to know the Opiate era songs which was odd....They only played 7 or so songs but 12 year old me was super fucking impressed.....
    My first Tool performance was at Lollapalooza. My first festival. Went there to see Metallica, Chains, SG and RAM. Left being a new fan of Tool. They smashed everything. Glad I got to see them back when Paul was still their bassist, though I feel like they hit the jackpot recruiting Justin. I was lucky enough as a high school teenager to see some ridiculous shows back in the day. You mentioned Dinosaur Jr.. I got to see Kyuss (Josh Homme's old band) open for them prior to their breakup. Also got to see NIN and Killing Joke in the 90s. Not trying to start a pissing contest on shows, but again, just showing how incredibly fortunate I was for being able to travel and see all these bands in my youth.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    That said, those three songs total over 35 minutes, so that's cool.
    aka one NIN LP worth of music.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Sooooo..

Six actual songs, and four instrumentals. Three of which -- the "bonus" tracks" -- equating to roughly 7:30 when combined..

Had this quantity been released in 2010 or 2011, I'd have been fine with it. But 13 years for six songs and a clutch of instrumentals that will be largely inconsequential to the album narrative seems like a huge let down for long-suffering fans..

I'm preparing for a scatterbrained, meandering mess of an album that had no real direction during its creation, where the singer of the band wouldn't even get in the same room with the other three. Best case scenario, I'm wrong and I get my face melted off by this shit the way Aenima and Lateralus succeeded in doing. There's literally no way this will turn out to be a bad Tool album; I don't believe they're capable of such a thing. But six songs after 13+ years? My faith in this record is lukewarm, at best..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    But six songs after 13+ years? My faith in this record is lukewarm, at best..
    6 10-minute+ epics totaling 70+ minutes of music is a let down?

ok

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    4 instrumentals? I wonder if they were planned or MJK just didn't get around to recording vocals for them so they said fuck it........Opiate is considered an EP with 6 songs with vox but this will be considered an LP with 6 songs with vox.....Sounds like a debate we had a year ago regarding another band.....Someone should challenge MJK on twitter as to why this isn't considered an EP, so he can tell them to "suck his entire cock"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I feel like Tool has been, since Lateralus at least, halfway instrumental as a band. Like, many of their songs have been heavy on instrumental breakdowns pushing the track lengths, so, this doesn't really surprise me very much. I still haven't listened to any of the tracks out there so far so, i'm keeping my overall judgement aside until i hear the full thing in context. If it ends up being a mess and not cohesive at all, well, i'll pick out tracks i enjoy and be done with it. We'll see.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I feel like Tool has been, since Lateralus at least, halfway instrumental as a band. Like, many of their songs have been heavy on instrumental breakdowns pushing the track lengths, so, this doesn't really surprise me very much. I still haven't listened to any of the tracks out there so far so, i'm keeping my overall judgement aside until i hear the full thing in context. If it ends up being a mess and not cohesive at all, well, i'll pick out tracks i enjoy and be done with it. We'll see.
    Just did the math and yeah, about 1/3 of the tracks have been instrumental since Ænima, traditionally much shorter than the songs with vocals, so this is very much on par.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    6 10-minute+ epics totaling 70+ minutes of music is a let down?

ok
    Remember when Trent made us wait 5.5 years and we got a double album with over 100 minutes of music? Or that time we waited another 5.5 years and got three albums and a double-album of instrumentals in a three year span?

Yea, six songs after 13 years from a band that once set the standard for creativity feels like a let-down..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Remember when Trent made us wait 5.5 years and we got a double album with over 100 minutes of music? Or that time we waited another 5.5 years and got three albums and a double-album of instrumentals in a three year span?

Yea, six songs after 13 years from a band that once set the standard for creativity feels like a let-down..
    "we aint the foo fighters"

Fair enough though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    https://loudwire.com/danny-carey-too...ne-giant-song/

Some of your heads would’ve exploded.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    https://loudwire.com/danny-carey-too...ne-giant-song/

Some of your heads would’ve exploded.
    to tie into this, some person from metalinjection did an AMA on Reddit:

How many of the songs flow together, seemslessly like parabol/parabola?
    The whole album kind of flows together. It was funny to hear people blast the single for not going anywhere. In the context of the album, it was just a 10 minute set up. Each song kind of flows into the next.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Sooooo..

Six actual songs, and four instrumentals. Three of which -- the "bonus" tracks" -- equating to roughly 7:30 when combined..

Had this quantity been released in 2010 or 2011, I'd have been fine with it. But 13 years for six songs and a clutch of instrumentals that will be largely inconsequential to the album narrative seems like a huge let down for long-suffering fans..
    4 instrumentals? I wonder if they were planned or MJK just didn't get around to recording vocals for them so they said fuck it........Opiate is considered an EP with 6 songs with vox but this will be considered an LP with 6 songs with vox.....Sounds like a debate we had a year ago regarding another band.....Someone should challenge MJK on twitter as to why this isn't considered an EP, so he can tell them to "suck his entire cock"
    Jesus fucking Christ... the album is 1 hour and 27 minutes long. There are not 4 instrumentals. There is ONE instrumental and 3 segues/interludes. By that logic, Ænima and Lateralus also had 4 "instrumentals." Some people are pretty damn hard to please...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I don't think "Chocolate Chip Trips"
    You didn't like Merkaba? CC Trip sounds pretty good live...especially when they bring back the juicy "some kind of psychedelic experience" samples.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    In retrospect, i was thinking about my post about CC Trip being a ridiculous name, but then, this is the band with titles like "Stinkfist" and "Hooker With A Penis" so... i really can't say it's out of the ordinary.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

You keep saying 6 songs, but there are 7. One of them is a non-segue instrumental. Do instrumentals not count all the sudden? (Someone give Ghosts I-IV the bad news) Anyway, those 7 songs come to 79:18, which is longer than Lateralus (78:51) and I don't remember anyone complaining about Lateralus being too short. Hell, even if you do exclude Chocolate Chip Trip, it adds up to 74:38, which is one goddamn minute and 8 seconds shorter than 10,000 Days.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ... the album is 1 hour and 27 minutes long. There are not 4 instrumentals. There is ONE instrumental and 3 segues/interludes. By that logic, Ænima and Lateralus also had 4 "instrumentals." Some people are pretty damn hard to please...
    It's a waste of one's time, man. Do you really throw on 13th Step so you can jam out to some Crimes, or 10KD so you can hear some dude chant "ooooh ooh oooh" for a minute before that godhead Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned section? The worst is Eat The Elephant's pointless instrumental song in the 8-spot, sticking out like a sore thumb and screaming filler after a 14-year wait. Granted, that album is pretty much fucked by that point, but..

These things matter to people who have waited a large chunk of their lives to hear what's next. I certainly didn't wait all this time anticipating a fuckin' drum solo and some interludes to fill out the running time, did you? I'm banking heavily on this being an epic album experience of start-to-finish quality, fuck you to convention and pre-conceived notions of what a Tool album 13 years in the making (actually more like five when they finally got off their asses and started working) sounds like..

It just feels forced, I dunno. This whole process of FI's creation feels forced. I'm not one of these Tool fanboys who is just going to gulp down whatever they dump out and proclaim it as genius. Seriously, I would love for this album to be just that, and force me to eat my words. But four instrumentals/segues/interludes on a 10-track album isn't going to get me there, I'm afraid..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Segues/interludes are perfectly fine if they serve to the benefit of the overall album well as a whole musical journey. I don't throw on single seques from Ænima either. But I never skip on full playthrough as it contributes to the mood and feel of each successive piece. Tool are hardly the only progressive rock band to do this. Again, no care by me if it's been 3 years or 13 years, I just want a musical journey to experience. Could give three shits as to individual length of songs.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'm pretty impressed by the total emphasis on track count, given the 85 minute running time of FI's 10 tracks will exceed the 78 minute run time of NTAE + AV + BW's 16 tracks.

But four instrumentals/segues/interludes on a 10-track album isn't going to get me there, I'm afraid..
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 08-14-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Segues/interludes are perfectly fine if they serve to the benefit of the overall album well as a whole musical journey. I don't throw on single seques from Ænima either. But I never skip on full playthrough as it contributes to the mood and feel of each successive piece. Tool are hardly the only progressive rock band to do this. Again, no care by me if it's been 3 years or 13 years, I just want a musical journey to experience. Could give three shits as to individual length of songs.
    This. Not everyone needs to "jam out" to every track on an album. They exist to add to the mood. If you don't like them, fine; skip them. Shit, imagine how un-dynamic Broken would be without the two "filler" tracks. If you're hoping for a Tool album without filler, you'll need to go back in time about a quarter of a century.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Danny wanted to make the album one giant song? Mike Patton already did that with Fantomas in 2004......

Instrumentals count, but sometimes they are a shortcut. TR admitted Fragile has all those instrumentals because he couldn't think of words. And Ghosts would have been a classic NIN record if it had lyrics and were actual songs as opposed to 3 hours of instrumentals, that you put on once every 3 years in the background while you do your laundry. 13 years between albums, I would have hoped for a double albums worth of material. 10 songs on Disc 1 and 8 songs on disc 2 with 17 of the 18 songs fully formed with vocals......6 vocal songs and 4 instrumentals/interludes seems half assed, esp considering MJK recorded his vox away from the band. It just reeks of them phoning it in

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    10 songs on Disc 1 and 8 songs on disc 2 with 17 of the 18 songs fully formed with vocals
    this would not be Tool-ish at all.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    It's a waste of one's time, man. Do you really throw on 13th Step so you can jam out to some Crimes, or 10KD so you can hear some dude chant "ooooh ooh oooh" for a minute before that godhead Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned section? The worst is Eat The Elephant's pointless instrumental song in the 8-spot, sticking out like a sore thumb and screaming filler after a 14-year wait. Granted, that album is pretty much fucked by that point, but..

These things matter to people who have waited a large chunk of their lives to hear what's next. I certainly didn't wait all this time anticipating a fuckin' drum solo and some interludes to fill out the running time, did you? I'm banking heavily on this being an epic album experience of start-to-finish quality, fuck you to convention and pre-conceived notions of what a Tool album 13 years in the making (actually more like five when they finally got off their asses and started working) sounds like..
    I'll give you Lipan Conjuring, but I have nothing against Crimes. Granted, I don't ever go and just play that song on its own, but (like most of these interlude tracks we're talking about) it's part of the journey of the album and a break or palate cleanser between songs. As for DLB on Eat the Elephant, yes, I do actually like that song (and the album itself). These types of tracks are present on virtually every Tool & APC album, so they're nothing new and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. And you're not the only one that's waited 13 years to hear it, I've been waiting along with you and I'm pretty excited for it, so reading these negative comments when no one has heard the whole album is a buzz kill.

I'm not one of these Tool fanboys who is just going to gulp down whatever they dump out and proclaim it as genius. Seriously, I would love for this album to be just that, and force me to eat my words.
    Yes, but it kinda seems you're one of the "fans" who's got their mind made up about how much it sucks before you've even heard most of it. I'm not exactly a "glass-half-full" kind of guy, but I at least wait until I've heard an album to decide that I hate it or that it's a disappointment.

But four instrumentals/segues/interludes on a 10-track album isn't going to get me there, I'm afraid..
    Like I said a bit earlier, if you boil it down to just the "songs," this is still going to be one of their longest albums, just fewer tracks. I can see that being initially a bit deflating, but 79 minutes of music = 79 minutes of music whether it's 12 tracks or 7. Anyway, I don't want to argue, just wanted to point out some flawed logic and hopefully encourage a more open-minded and optimistic approach. When it finally comes out and you've heard it, if you do hate it, that would be fine and I'd respect that (art is subjective and you're obviously entitled to your opinion), but I hope you give it a chance, ya know?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    6 vocal songs and 4 instrumentals/interludes seems half assed, esp considering MJK recorded his vox away from the band. It just reeks of them phoning it in
    Sigh... AGAIN, those 6 songs add up to 74:38, which is longer than Undertow. Did you consider Undertow to be a massive disappointment? Your logic says you did.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    esp considering MJK recorded his vox away from the band. It just reeks of them phoning it in
    I dunno... a guy who works on wine and has two other bands doesn’t strike me as a guy who’d “phone it in...”