Page 185 of 263 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 183 184 185 186 187 195 235 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,550 of 7887

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    To honor the late Prince, they’re doing a cover...

I'll allow it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For those of you who didn’t like Fear Inoculum please give it a couple of more listens, 10k Days was a good album but it didn’t hold water to the previous albums but the new track is awesome and the production is solid.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Naming a song Disambiguation is exactly the kind of so-obvious-it's-corny-but-fuck-you-I-don't-care thing Maynard would do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My turn:

- ugly artwork
    - a new Tool album is COMING REALLY SOON (not Trent Reznor soon)!!!!
    - the new song is ok
    - the new song is ok because it wasn't innovative
    - I still prefer Puscifer's Grand Canyon
    - the new song IS A NEW TOOL SONG CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO IT OMG WHAT DAY IS IT!!
    - the band is really fantastic, (oh by the way which one's Pink)
    - I thought I could hold off until the album, but it seems I have nothing else to listen to

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    And some people say that MJK was the holdup for Tool...Carina Round just posted on FB that they are working on the new Puscifer album...that guy is a workaholic! Much respect to him.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Assuming this is real, I had actually imagined or heard (in my head) "Descending" as track 2.

*sigh* Okay...after several listens of the title track, "Fear Inoculum"...

First off, I think releasing this song first/early was a stupid move, especially because it's the opener. It clearly really requires proper context. (They should've released "Descending", just fucking 'cause.)

I am a pretty big Tool fan (or certainly used to be), but I'm not much of a fan of this song. My excitement for the record has gone down (it was going pretty good from hearing "Descending" and "Invincible"). I'll probably absorb the whole album many times from front to back, but I can see me ditching/skipping this song down the road. I'm not sure I've said that about any other Tool song before (not counting certain fillers). Ay yai yai... Or maybe I'll be proven wrong, or at least I'll just tolerate it.

I can get into or do appreciate the first half. It's different enough in Tool terms, IMHO; it has a kind of pretty thing about it, while being fairly engaging, with a sense of building... Maynard's vocals are the freshest ingredient on deck, and they fit.

The second half does pretty much nothing for me. I can't decide if it's too diverting from the first half (in tone), or not diverting enough (same mid-tempo drive, for example)...I just know my non-excitement. It's like the second half of the song feels rushed, somehow, like as if they were trying to force two different song's worth (Toolisms and all) into a single song. Maybe nowhere on the rest of the album will things come off as pretty as they do in the first half of this song, and this divided feeling is the point.

I think one reason for my distaste in the last 2 minutes or so in particular is the lack of Maynard's vocals. I'm pretty sure he could've enhanced things quite, quite a bit.

At 9:00, it's basically Metallica (an undercut that just doesn't feel that good or natural), then revisiting it at 10:02, the final climax. Where the hell is Danny throwing down some pizzazz there? That's no sendoff.

Worse yet, the execution/performance of the final climax (10:02) -with all instruments playing the syncopation together- at times just sounds sloppy to my ears. I don't know what it is--the bass guitar settings/effects and/or the production of the drums, but it sounds muddy on certain strokes. I've tried and tried -including not listening too closely- and I just can't hear it as *tight* as I know these guys to be.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-12-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    - I thought I could hold off until the album, but it seems I have nothing else to listen to
    I had to stop listening to it or else I'm going to play it out before the album gets here.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    My turn:
    The new song is ok, I was just expecting something more heavy/head-banging to start off their return with a bang. I also can't help but think of how it just sounds like they sampled 5 other Tool songs (Forty six & 2, Disposition, Eulogy, etc. etc.) and put it all into one.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Out of curiosity does anyone know if they’ve talked about whether this was recorded digitally or on tape? I know stickler is using tape but I’m pretty sure Maynard’s vocals were done digitally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    And some people say that MJK was the holdup for Tool...Carina Round just posted on FB that they are working on the new Puscifer album...that guy is a workaholic! Much respect to him.
    Yeah, he announced Puscifer 2020 a couple months back. Looking forward to it.

By 2020, Maynard will have released an album, song, concert video. or remix album every year since the release of 10,000 Days. Something tells me he's not the weak link in the productivity chain.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I don't mean to burst your bubble (more like temper your expectations), but the new Puscifer isn't coming until 2021. Check that hashtag on the Puscifer insta. I'm looking forward to it, too. I love all three of his bands.

By 2020, Maynard will have released an album, song, concert video. or remix album every year since the release of 10,000 Days. Something tells me he's not the weak link in the productivity chain.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I don't mean to burst your bubble (more like temper your expectations), but the new Puscifer isn't coming until 2021. Check that hashtag on the Puscifer insta. I'm looking forward to it, too. I love all three of his bands.
    Huh. It was #puscifer2020 on Twitter in January but now #puscifer2021 on Instagram. I was actually a little surprised at the 2020 announcement simply because of what it meant for new Tool: 13 year wait, album drop, 2019 tour, aaaaand that's it; on to the next thing. Hopefully the 2021 hashtag means Tool and Fear Inoculum will have more time to breathe, be that by way of touring, music videos, and anything else that keeps it from feeling like by September we're just back to waiting for the next Tool album.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

+various tours with all 3 bands, including a single career spanning night which included song(s) from all 3 bands

dude just can't sit still

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Huh. It was #puscifer2020 on Twitter in January but now #puscifer2021 on Instagram. I was actually a little surprised at the 2020 announcement simply because of what it meant for new Tool: 13 year wait, album drop, 2019 tour, aaaaand that's it; on to the next thing. Hopefully the 2021 hashtag means Tool and Fear Inoculum will have more time to breathe, be that by way of touring, music videos, and anything else that keeps it from feeling like by September we're just back to waiting for the next Tool album.
    Maynard hasn’t been shy to bring multiple bands on the road at the same time to the same locales. Although I think he’s usually only played with both the same day if it’s a festival or something.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    7 songs.

1. The Grudge, 2. The Patient, 3. Schism, 4. Parabol/Parabola, 5. Tick & Leeches, 6. Lateralus, 7. Disposition/Reflection/Triad
    1. Vicarious, 2. Jambi, 3. Wings for Marie/10000 Days, 4. The Pot, 5. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned, 6. Intension, 7. Right In Two

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Out of curiosity does anyone know if they’ve talked about whether this was recorded digitally or on tape? I know stickler is using tape but I’m pretty sure Maynard’s vocals were done digitally.

The instrumentation was most likely tracked on 2" studio tape as revealed in this Instagram post. Of course that doesn't answer if MJK's vocals were also analogue. Barresi could have mixed digital source tracks of the vocals into the final mix / studio tape that was taken to Bob Ludwig. But then again, MJK could have also tracked his final vocals on tape for Barresi as well. As far as I know, there has not been any official literature on the engineering side for the new album other than a few Instagram posts and the Ludwig information. I am sure there will be enough interest that the recording process and engineering details will come out in some publication out like it did for the previous albums.
    Last edited by pulse; 08-12-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Fixed url.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Maynard hasn’t been shy to bring multiple bands on the road at the same time to the same locales. Although I think he’s usually only played with both the same day if it’s a festival or something.
    Sure, but when I say time to breathe, that includes Maynard being primarily focused on Tool. A Perfect Circle felt like Maynard's only band from 2017 to 2018, which was a good amount of time to feel like the band was really back. I know Maynard probably wouldn't be involved with most post-album stuff anyway, but an overlap with Puscifer could take some of the gravity away from there finally being a new Tool album.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    7 songs.

1. The Grudge, 2. The Patient, 3. Schism, 4. Parabol/Parabola, 5. Tick & Leeches, 6. Lateralus, 7. Disposition/Reflection/Triad
    1. Vicarious, 2. Jambi, 3. Wings for Marie/10000 Days, 4. The Pot, 5. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned, 6. Intension, 7. Right In Two
    Shit, even Ænima only has 9 songs (out of a whopping 15 tracks).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    7 songs.

7 songs:

1. Third Eye (Live), 2. Part of Me (Live), 3. Pushit (Live), 4. You Lied (Live), 5. Merkaba, 6. No Quarter, 7. Maynard's Dick

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    The instrumentation was most likely tracked on 2" studio tape as revealed in this Instagram post. Of course that doesn't answer if MJK's vocals were also analogue. Barresi could have mixed digital source tracks of the vocals into the final mix / studio tape that was taken to Bob Ludwig. But then again, MJK could have also tracked his final vocals on tape for Barresi as well. As far as I know, there has not been any official literature on the engineering side for the new album other than a few Instagram posts and the Ludwig information. I am sure there will be enough interest that the recording process and engineering details will come out in some publication out like it did for the previous albums.
    Irritatingly enough, there were production credits on the audio video for FI on YouTube but now they’re gone in favor of links to their old albums.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    While waiting for the new album, this is the perfect time to get (re-)acquainted with former bassist Paul D’Amour’s Lusk project, and their excellent headfuck of an album Free Mars, which even today is way ahead of its time..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Mars

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    While waiting for the new album, this is the perfect time to get (re-)acquainted with former bassist Paul D’Amour’s Lusk project, and their excellent headfuck of an album Free Mars, which even today is way ahead of its time..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Mars

I have this on vinyl!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Revolver interview...

https://imgur.com/a/WAshFeU

(Sorry if already posted - I looked back some pages and didn't find it.)

Good stuff. Some of Maynard's section made me loL.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-13-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    7 songs --> problem 8

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    TooL’s got less than 99 songs and Problem 8 ain’t one. Hit me!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    7 songs --> problem 8
    Doesn’t exist. And neither does that stupid thing where people merged Wings for Marie, 10,000 Days, and Viginti Tres to make a “secret song.” That’s such a load of horse shit. I can’t BELIEVE people think that’s a thing the band planned.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    There are credits on the title track online that seem to indicate Mat Mitchell did additional production, so it's likely they tracked the basic backing tracks all-analogue with Barresi, then dumped the tapes into Pro Tools, had Maynard do his overdubs via e-mail, tracked guitars into more Pro Tools through more analogue gear and delivered the final mix to analogue tape. So pretty close to all-tape except for some guitars and vocals, I'm guessing.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Dumbest has to be Blair’s “curveball”. Love the post from a couple years ago (Fourtheye?) when some fan asked Adam during a VIP session about it, and apparently Adam had no clue what the person was talking about and said “that sounds like something that Blair would make up”.

Its been years with this stuff, akin to asking Trent about Tapeworm at this point. Need to let it go.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    What was the puzzle that the four photos in 10,000 days revealed?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Dumbest has to be Blair’s “curveball”. Love the post from a couple years ago (Fourtheye?) when some fan asked Adam during a VIP session about it, and apparently Adam had no clue what the person was talking about and said “that sounds like something that Blair would make up”.

Its been years with this stuff, akin to asking Trent about Tapeworm at this point. Need to let it go.
    Wasn’t the curveball the Opiate track?