Page 154 of 263 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 164 204 254 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,620 of 7882

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    No, you are assuming we are. Im not, I would still like to have my phone with me though. Not everyone here is addicted to our phones, not as much as someone like Maynard would want you to think.
    No, you're understating a problem because you don't get the totality of the rollout of it.

Under your logic, it would be a grave disaster to let grade school kids attend school without their phones... how will they contact love ones if a kid walks into class with a shotgun, under your logic.

OK. Cool. And that happens almost never, but it's terrible if it does. But will cell phones prevent it? NO. Are cell phones the problem in this situation? NO. Will they protect my child from being shot? Absolutely not.

But will cell phones enable kids to share super fucked up videos with their classmates that no parent would want them to see EVER? Yes. And then it'll become as commonplace as Russians flooding FB with memes to influence our elections... as common as handheld devices will become in helping students cheat on exams that they didn't study for... as common as all the fucking stupidity that comes from an argument with someone referencing Wikipedia while you work from what you actually educated yourself about.

We don't NEED OUR FUCKING CELL PHONES EVERYWHERE WE GO. You will be perfectly fine without it for a few hours. Most likely, if you're not fine, your cell phone wouldn't have saved you anyway, but in the off chance that it would have, I'd rather care more about all those other concerns.

Take your cell phone with you if you're worried about being trapped under a boulder and you might have to bite your arm off. That might help then, in that instance... otherwise, at a concert that's being attacked by terrorists, as you brought up, your cell phone won't do shit for you.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-26-2019 at 04:46 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Take your cell phone with you if you're worried about being trapped under a boulder and you might have to bite your arm off. That might help then, in that instance... otherwise, at a concert that's being attacked by terrorists, as you brought up, your cell phone won't do shit for you.
    Speak for yourself. Depending on circumstances, it could be your way of alerting authorities to details about the situation; location of shooters, location of hostages, etc. Being able to text people can be the difference between some tiny measure of sanity and a panic attack so bad that you'll feel like you're about to die anyway. In case there are actually people in the world who love you, I'm sure they'll be glad you have your phone so you can communicate that you're safe. And yeah, if things go completely tits-up, then you can at least send one last text or voicemail to your parents, your spouse, your kids, whoever, offering you a chance to say goodbye.

Just because it's not going to jam an AR-15 doesn't mean it's useless.

But again, holy fucking shit, let's get this back on the top of Tool.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    But will cell phones enable kids to share super fucked up videos with their classmates that no parent would want them to see EVER? Yes. And then it'll become as commonplace as Russians flooding FB with memes to influence our elections... as common as handheld devices will become in helping students cheat on exams that they didn't study for... as common as all the fucking stupidity that comes from an argument with someone referencing Wikipedia while you work from what you actually educated yourself about.
    There's a lot to unpack here, but let's focus on this for a second. While cell phones may make it easier to access this stuff, social media is the core problem in your example.

To speak on the concert experience, if someone else enjoys a show by being on their phone, that's on them, no? The way you want to experience things is no more valid than theirs. If bands think it's hard to make money now, wait until they try to confiscate phones en masse and see how attendance numbers drop.

@theimage13 said pretty much everything else worth saying on the topic.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    To speak on the concert experience, if someone else enjoys a show by being on their phone, that's on them, no? The way you want to experience things is no more valid than theirs.
    replace “a show” with “going to a movie theater.” The issue becomes clearer there right? We are just so used to people being on their phones all the time at concerts. I really don’t care that much but if the band hates it, hey, you’re there to see them right?

And this IS about Tool. It’s the policy Maynard wants. There’s larger general drift around these here Tool parts

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    replace “a show” with “going to a movie theater.” The issue becomes clearer there right? We are just so used to people being on their phones all the time at concerts. I really don’t care that much but if the band hates it, hey, you’re there to see them right?

And this IS about Tool. It’s the policy Maynard wants. There’s larger general drift around these here Tool parts
    Thats a whole different thing entirely but lets get back on topic

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I’m 100% on team “if the show says no cellphones, don’t use cellphones.” If you get a quick message or a call, step out or a side and take it. I get the necessity of having the phone on hand—I’m a parent—but you know the rules and we’re all smart enough to recognize when we need to take it outside.

On that note, I completely blame becoming a parent for my increasing sympathy to the “put the phone away” people. I take tons of pictures of my kids and stuff we do. But I also have grown to appreciate the value of just doing some stuff and being present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Saw Jack White back in 2012 and there were signs everywhere that stated no cell phones. It was the coolest experience not having a SINGLE phone in front of you, sadly I dont think TOOL's fanbase will listen to Maynard like Jack White's base does.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Saw Jack White back in 2012 and there were signs everywhere that stated no cell phones. It was the coolest experience not having a SINGLE phone in front of you, sadly I dont think TOOL's fanbase will listen to Maynard like Jack White's base does.
    In Lincoln there were signs posted everywhere that phones=ejection and I saw hardly any phones out the whole show.

Part of me feels like a hippocrate because I was taping the thing but that's different. That's like 1% of me, the other 99% doesn't give a fuck.

COA however was a festival so there wasn't anything they could do to curb phone usage. I was in the front pit and only had like 20 feet worth of people in front of me and the phones weren't too bad. I only whipped mine out for the 90 seconds worth during the second verse in Parabola (cuz I love that part so damned much). But then again to there was a shit ton of people behind me and I wasnt gonna turn around and fuck up my tape. I got blasted by a stack for 80 minutes to make it and I feel half deaf now.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    God, I too need to hear the studio version of “Descending.” Everything about that song is just so perfect. Completely exceeded all expectations I had had.

I still haven’t listened to “Invincible.” Want to save that for a fresh listen once the single and/or album drops. I’ll very much assume the latter since I feel that neither of these songs, nor any on the album will be released prior to 8/31. As anxious as I am, I still just think to myself “It’s been over ten years. What’s another three months?”

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    *discussion about smartphone/phone camera use happens*

Me:
    Priorities - consciously think about every.single.one of them in your life and what may very well be getting in the way of them, and apply hardcore self-discipline where applicable. #yourfuckingphoneismostlikelyrobbingyouofyourlife

More on the subject, with regard to concerts: as long as the policy is written on the ticket (ideally I'd know about it before the day of the show), or on some visible signage aplenty, then cool, I'll play along!

On the other hand...

Now, I wasn't keeping up with the NIN tour last fall (during or after it), but after I attended two shows at the Fox Theater in Michigan, holding really expensive tickets (fuck.me.) right by the stage, I would have had something to report/read up on in this forum.

Trent supposedly had told security not to allow anybody to film videos for very long. The ushers and the main NIN security guard would shine a flashlight on my face when I had my phone up and directed at the stage for more than 30 seconds or so.

I had a talk with them about it (there's how I actually found out who was behind the policy), buuuuut I continued to film when I felt like it anyway, which, in the case of the two Fox shows, happened to be a good enough deal of it, but much, much more than I would usually because I was really, really not vibing the certain nostalgia I got from being at NIN live again (I overdid it back in the day, the spark is gone, too many 'eh' memories/feels, etc.). Filming at various times gave me something to keep my mind focused on more of one thing versus many.

I actually can experience bouts of depersonalization/derealization under anxiety -while completely sober- sometimes, and filming such a thing as this, from my own vantage point, allowed me to connect in a different way or through a different view, as well as enjoy the experience much more after the fact (when I wasn't feeling any detachment from reality).

Not a cellphone in sight, just people living for the moment.
    Last edited by Amaro; 05-26-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    There’s two opposites to the filming policy: 2009’s NINJA tour where Trent has an open taping policy, and all of Maynard’s shows recently (Puscifer/Tool/APC).

Just from the fan experience I’ll take the “keep your cell phone away” every time, easy decision. As cool as it was to watch YT vids and projects of live NIN shows in 2009, being there wasn’t that cool with hand held cameras all over the place along with cell phones. Concerts are now bananas (B-A-N-A-N-A-S!) with probably nearly half the fans there recording whith on their smart phones.

The argument for “in case of emergency” is fairly weak. They don’t confiscate your phone, if something serious happens it’s still there with you. I’ve been to a bunch of Maynard’s shows with the policy and took my phone out of my pocket to check the time or refresh ESPN to check some scores. Was just mindful enough to keep it at my belt line. No one cared.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I’m 100% on team “if the show says no cellphones, don’t use cellphones.” If you get a quick message or a call, step out or a side and take it. I get the necessity of having the phone on hand—I’m a parent—but you know the rules and we’re all smart enough to recognize when we need to take it outside.

On that note, I completely blame becoming a parent for my increasing sympathy to the “put the phone away” people. I take tons of pictures of my kids and stuff we do. But I also have grown to appreciate the value of just doing some stuff and being present.

I dont have a problem with that. I just said i had a problem with locking them from being able to use it at all, i never said anything about it being against the rules. If it says "Please dont use your phone" then thats your own fault if you get caught

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I dont have a problem with that. I just said i had a problem with locking them from being able to use it at all, i never said anything about it being against the rules. If it says "Please dont use your phone" then thats your own fault if you get caught
    Yeah, I strongly disagree with using devices that inhibit cell service and would refuse to give up my phone as a condition of admission.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    There’s two opposites to the filming policy: 2009’s NINJA tour where Trent has an open taping policy, and all of Maynard’s shows recently (Puscifer/Tool/APC).

Just from the fan experience I’ll take the “keep your cell phone away” every time, easy decision. As cool as it was to watch YT vids and projects of live NIN shows in 2009, being there wasn’t that cool with hand held cameras all over the place along with cell phones. Concerts are now bananas (B-A-N-A-N-A-S!) with probably nearly half the fans there recording whith on their smart phones.

The argument for “in case of emergency” is fairly weak. They don’t confiscate your phone, if something serious happens it’s still there with you. I’ve been to a bunch of Maynard’s shows with the policy and took my phone out of my pocket to check the time or refresh ESPN to check some scores. Was just mindful enough to keep it at my belt line. No one cared.

im glad you don't care because I do. You say its a weak argument, but there is a chance that it COULD happen, and I'd rather not take that chance if I was the one playing stage. I'm sure your attitude would change it it actually happened to you. Look I get it, its annoying but is something we just gotta put up with.

and you say concerts are crap because of cell phones? You should look at some of the hip hop concerts...they got mosh pits for fuck sakes...all with their phones out while litterally the whole place is bouncing.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Wait... they aren't even suggesting to confiscate the phones?

What...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    But anyways, lets save this shit for another thread lets get back to Tool

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There are two new Tool songs being performed, a new album on the way, and all we can do is bicker about cellphones? As you post, most likely, from your cellphone?

I was reading some things earlier, did anyone ever discredit Sebastian Bach or are his claims still a possibility?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Wait... they aren't even suggesting to confiscate the phones?

What...
    Yeah, not sure what’s going on here. Simply put my opinion is that concerts are more enjoyable with cell phones put away. Not sure where people are getting these ideas that they take your phone away prior to venue entry.

Whatevs. There’s people who think we’re living in darker times than Nazi Germany FFS.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Yeah, not sure what’s going on here. Simply put my opinion is that concerts are more enjoyable with cell phones put away. Not sure where people are getting these ideas that they take your phone away prior to venue entry.

Whatevs. There’s people who think we’re living in darker times than Nazi Germany FFS.

Thats not it at all. Thats just my opinion on it as well too. If thats how i digest music, then thats just for me.

anyways that new tool album btw that has nothing to do with phones?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I feel like slightly expanding this box on his shirt and writing NIN inside it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Considering I’ve had a lot of major life events occur during this year, and I find myself in an extremely great place spiritually, the fact this Tool album is dropping this year is really special for me. Especially considering what I’ve heard has just blown me away. This has been well worth the wait.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I feel like slightly expanding this box on his shirt and writing NIN inside it.

Wow that dude is like straight opposite of where I was!

I'm surprised this tour is getting this much attention. New album probably?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Wow that dude is like straight opposite of where I was!

I'm surprised this tour is getting this much attention. New album probably?
    Tool always gets a fair bit of attention when they tour—mostly due to new album speculation. But now that we know, I’m sure people are even more focused.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Yeah, I strongly disagree with using devices that inhibit cell service and would refuse to give up my phone as a condition of admission.

even if these devices would (and are set to) be easily disabled in a state of emergency?

I mean, be real, why aren’t you more concerned about terrorists using these devices?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-28-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I mean, I don't know about "need it for emergencies" or whatever and surely getting stuck behind some asshole trying to get a zillion pictures or something really sucks... Like really sucks, but I think a no phone policy is stupid. Call it attachment, call it addiction, whatever, I just don't think it's necessary or production, even considering it eliminates a hardcore pet peeve of mine

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I appreciate the gesture, and the idea, of a "no phone" policy. I actually don't own one, a cell phone, although I'm glued to my tablet when I'm at home.

But, I would hope that enforcement of said policy wasn't too intense, because, shit does happen.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Well, I managed to listen to “Invincible” the other day. I didn’t mean to, but it sort of caught me by accident. Was listening to “Descending” for probably the 20th time, and hadn’t realized it had finished until the next video started, and I heard the intro to “Invincible” which was really all I needed to get hooked. I had to listen to the rest, and I’m so happy I did. Goddamn, it’s so fucking good.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    WTF does that have to do with Tool? (okay, I realize my last post was a bit of a drift so yeah, pot meet kettle).

Now for the love of god let's keep this thread on track before it gets locked until August.
    Well I was actually responding to ltrandazzo not you...no offense. (BACK STORY) When I tried to change the topic of MJK being a douche a few pages back, he said to just let the conversation flow and die naturally...then he came in and asked the conversation to end...it was just a joke between he and I..nothign more. And it had to do with Tool because were TALKING ABOUT TOOL. Still not sure what my post to him had to do with you but hey...new TOOL album.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    So, Paul D’Amour is apparently joining Ministry. I never heard this Al story though (guessing it’s BS). Anyone?...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/min...t-paul-damour/

"I used to live with Timothy Leary, and he had given me these bottles of liquid LSD to bring on tour," Jourgensen said. "I'd put two drops in my bottle of whiskey that I'd bring onstage. I'd drink about half the bottle during a show. So we were on Lollapalooza in '92, I think it was San Francisco, and when we came offstage there were these two guys who were like, 'Great show, dude!' So I gave them my bottle of Bushmills, but I forgot that I had put LSD in it. So they drank it and they were tripping balls for, like, two or three days. They didn't know what was going on and they were freaking out. They were ready to call suicidal hotlines. It turned out to be Paul and Maynard from TOOL! ... But he actually thanked me for that moment because he said it really got TOOL going into being a psychedelic band. Pretty cosmic, right?"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I think 90% of what Al says has a tiny bit of truth to it, but it's either embellished to make an average story more interesting or it's simply the way he misremembers things due to a lifetime of substance abuse. Real story is probably more along the lines of:
    So we were on Lollapalooza in '92, I think it was San Francisco, and when we came offstage there were these two guys who were like, 'Great show, dude!' It turned out to be Paul and Maynard from TOOL.