Page 129 of 263 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 139 179 229 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,870 of 7882

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Puscifer can still be a summer/fall 2020 release with a fall 2020 tour. He usually goes on tour in the fall with puscifer anyway. I'm not too concerned. The tool tour will extend into Q1/Q2 2020 then he'll get a quick break to put finishing touches on puscifer and deal with his wine in the summer/early fall before heading out again with puscifer. I ain't worried. Besides, all these guys are getting older now. Doubt they want to do massive 2 yr long tours like they've done in the past anyway. I'm surprised Maynard has as much gumption in him as he does at his age, he's in his mid 50s and it doesn't show, he shows no signs of slowing down.
    Basically this. But he might also tour both together like he did with APC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Puscifer can still be a summer/fall 2020 release with a fall 2020 tour. He usually goes on tour in the fall with puscifer anyway. I'm not too concerned. The tool tour will extend into Q1/Q2 2020 then he'll get a quick break to put finishing touches on puscifer and deal with his wine in the summer/early fall before heading out again with puscifer. I ain't worried. Besides, all these guys are getting older now. Doubt they want to do massive 2 yr long tours like they've done in the past anyway. I'm surprised Maynard has as much gumption in him as he does at his age, he's in his mid 50s and it doesn't show, he shows no signs of slowing down.
    Also to add, Tool would probably continue doing the yearly mini tours for years to come. More time with the family and still make money!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    The only thing that bugs me about Maynard's tweet is that new Puscifer in 2020 seems to suggest a very short life cycle for the new Tool album. Album, festival tour, maybe North American fall tour... and that's it? It just feels like after 13 years of waiting, Tool should come back in a big, bad way. I know they've been playing shows all this time, so it's not like they've been completely absent, but still.
    Maybe they will continue to tour in 2020 and it will just coincide/overlap with the Puscifer dates? It's happened in the past where both bands played the same festivals, at least. Hopefully when the news officially drops, it'll be big and exciting like you said...
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 01-05-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Surprised so many people are dying to hear this. Considered what a piece of shit the new APC album was, people actually have high hopes for new Tool? 55 year old Keenan, spending most of his time on his winery who hasnt put out a great album in a decade is going to somehow release a brilliant Tool album in 2019? I have zero hopes and expectations. Just hope he doesnt embarrass himself like Corgan did

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Surprised so many people are dying to hear this. Considered what a piece of shit the new APC album was, people actually have high hopes for new Tool? 55 year old Keenan, spending most of his time on his winery who hasnt put out a great album in a decade is going to somehow release a brilliant Tool album in 2019? I have zero hopes and expectations. Just hope he doesnt embarrass himself like Corgan did
    You still have Danny, Adam, and Justin...APC doesn't have that.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's really surprising that people would judge an entirely different band, comprised of entirely different writers and musicians, based on what somebody else did.

Wait...what?

Also, let's not forget that "great" is subjective. Personally? I thought Conditions was great, Money Shot was great, and the tours that accompanied them were - in my opinion anyway - a lot better than any recent Tool dates. And while I was definitely a little chilly on Eat the Elephant when it came out, it very much grew on me. It's not an "I love this thing from start to finish" album, but it's got enough good material on it that I'd go see the tour supporting it if the dates lined up with my schedule.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Idk. I have a feeling it will be stunning, and a sort of "final statement."
    I mean, have you heard that music from the music clinic commercial, Descending or whatever? Give me an album full of shit like that and I'll be thrilled.

I got into tool when I got a copy of undertow in 93 for my 13th birthday, so it's been a pretty big deal to me for, fuck, 25 years. I didn't exactly love 10,000 days, though. I mean, it was OK. But Opiate and Undertow were fucking incredible and the next two were PERFECT.
    Yeah, the new apc wasn't incredible, but apc is...Maynard is just the singer of tool, you know? It's the interesting take on rhythm and unusual mysterious sounding musical style that makes the magic, imho.

I reckon it will be pretty good, again, if it sounds anything like Descending.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    You’re more than welcome to express your negativity somewhere else.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm excited to just hear some new music from the boys. I know it's not going to be groundbreaking or amazing. It won't be their "top album" by any means, but it'll still be a good listen. People need to open their eyes and mind when going into a new release. You still have people out there complaining with every new release that Trent makes that it's not TDS. Those people need to just get off the train and go somewhere else if they're not interested in what he's doing now. Yes, they're older. Yes, they are at a different point in their life, so the music is going to sound different. We should just be thankful as fuck we are getting a new record at all. System of a down have been squabbling back and forth and saying there won't ever be new music etc and drawing the fans on. At least we're getting new songs.

I fear this record is going to be hated by the masses for this reason. They're hyping it up. Records that span a long time in between releases are never a good sign. The fans hype the albums up. The wait was long, they expect some crazy masterpiece and that's what took so long. In reality, sometimes life just gets in the way, shit happens, people get busy, start families, change their way of thinking and that delays a record. Time changed the artists, but it never changed the fan. The fans didn't evolve with the artist with time, and I think that's what the issue is. People are expecting Lateralus 2.0 or something prior. The key is to go in with low expectations and just be happy there is new music at all.

It's like the GNR Chinese democracy thing. So many years passed between releases and the fans hated it. It was no longer the 90s. It was a different time/different era. Axl needed to evolve his sound. I for one really enjoyed Chinese democracy, but I know a lot of people that hated it. I was never a die-hard or huge GNR fan though, so my opinion is probably a tad biased. I would consider TOOL as one of My top 5 favourite artists out there, so I might be a tad more critical on this new record than I was of Chinese democracy, but I think the key is to just go in with low expectations and listen to it as it's own thing without comparing it to their previous work.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 01-05-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    We get it, you aren't excited to hear the new Tool album – and that's fine. I'm not trying to attack you for expressing your opinion on a message board, but yes, there are indeed many of us (myself included) who are excited to finally hear it. Yes, it's been a very long 13-year wait, but the anticipation has been building for over a decade and their track record speaks for itself. They've never released anything that sucks, in my opinion. Speaking of opinions, I actually really enjoyed APC's new album. It may not have been quite as good as the first two albums and it's more subdued, but it was far from a "piece of shit" and Maynard's vocals sounded great, so I don't think that's a cause for concern regarding Tool's forthcoming album. And even if you're one of the people that doesn't like 10,000 Days, you can't deny how great Opiate, Undertow, Ænima, and Lateralus were and still are. Again, this is all opinion and subjective, but I also feel like it's become trendy to hate on Tool lately (almost like Nickelback, only Tool doesn't deserve it) and make easy, low-hanging-fruit Chinese Democracy jokes about how long it's taking them.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 01-06-2019 at 02:21 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Bill, go head over to your Mike Patton circle jerk (wherever that may be). ETE wasn’t APC’s finest moment, but it was good and most people enjoyed it. Sure was better than Trents trilogy.

As for new Tool I agree , probably won’t be anything ground breaking or their best release ever, just hoping I like it- and will most likely lean more towards the proggy side of Tool. If someone’s expecting a 1992-93 alt metal album with MJK screaming his lungs out they should probably go vacation at a mental institution.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    People are expecting Lateralus 2.0 or something prior.
    I remember when people bitched when Schism dropped, because Lateralus sounded too different from Aenima. And then bitched when Vicarious dropped, because 10,000 Days sounded too similar to Lateralus.

People are gonna bitch either way. Give it five years, and people will get over their initial vitriol (the same vitriol that accompanies every Tool album upon release), and will see it as the album it is.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Bill, go head over to your Mike Patton circle jerk (wherever that may be). ETE wasn’t APC’s finest moment, but it was good and most people enjoyed it. Sure was better than Trents trilogy.

As for new Tool I agree , probably won’t be anything ground breaking or their best release ever, just hoping I like it- and will most likely lean more towards the proggy side of Tool. If someone’s expecting a 1992-93 alt metal album with MJK screaming his lungs out they should probably go vacation at a mental institution.
    APCs new album was better than Trents trilogy? I am sure you will find many NIN fans who laugh at that statement.The APC album was a shitbomb and got terrible reviews everywhere and most APC fans I know listened to it once and tossed it (me included).....As for the Mike Patton circle jerk. Lest we forget, those open minded Tool fans were the same fans who made fools of themselves booing Mikes bands Tomahawk AND Fantomas off the stage every night back in the day when Mike opened for them. Considering MJK constantly invites Patton bands to tour with him, he may be leading the Mike Patton circle jerk
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 01-06-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    . ETE wasn’t APC’s finest moment, but it was good and most people enjoyed it. Sure was better than Trents trilogy.
    APCs new album was better than Trents trilogy? I am sure you will find many NIN fans who laugh at that statement.The APC album was a shitbomb and got terrible reviews everywhere and most APC fans I know listened to it once and tossed it (me included).....
    I want to add/discuss this comment, but I don't want to further derail the TOOL thread, so I am moving my response to "controversial NIN opinions" to continue the discussion.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    APCs new album was better than Trents trilogy? I am sure you will find many NIN fans who laugh at that statement.The APC album was a shitbomb and got terrible reviews everywhere and most APC fans I know listened to it once and tossed it (me included).....As for the Mike Patton circle jerk. Lest we forget, those open minded Tool fans were the same fans who made fools of themselves booing Mikes bands Tomahawk AND Fantomas off the stage every night back in the day when Mike opened for them. Considering MJK constantly invites Patton bands to tour with him, he may be leading the Mike Patton circle jerk
    Oh gee, let’s do a poll with NIN fans finding out if Bad Witch is better than [insert some other bands album here]. What a concept. While we’re at it let’s join Taylor Swifts FB group asking her fans if BW is better than her latest LP. I wonder how that may turn out.

As for ETE, that album was higher than BW on every year end review I saw. But who cares about polls and reviews and all that, right?

yeah, I enjoy ETE more than the trilogy. I really don’t go back to any of those ep’s, but find myself spinning ETE often. This coming from someone that’s a much bigger NIN fan than APC. Oh well.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    I remember when people bitched when Schism dropped, because Lateralus sounded too different from Aenima. And then bitched when Vicarious dropped, because 10,000 Days sounded too similar to Lateralus.

People are gonna bitch either way. Give it five years, and people will get over their initial vitriol (the same vitriol that accompanies every Tool album upon release), and will see it as the album it is.
    However the album turns out, it’s gonna be REALLY weird listening to new Tool. Even if it sounds similar to 10K Days and Lateralus.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'm still confused. Are we even talking about the same album?

Eat the Elephant ended up on a number of "Best of 2018" album lists as the year drew to a close...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah, user reviews were harsh, but otherwise, ETE was really well received overall. I mean, even Pitchfork gave it a 4.9/10 ! That's really really high by their standard!!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I'm still confused. Are we even talking about the same album?

Eat the Elephant ended up on a number of "Best of 2018" album lists as the year drew to a close...
    Fan/user reviews killed it

Pitchfork hated it https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...-the-elephant/

Needledrop hated it

another bad review https://www.thefourohfive.com/music/...e-elephant-152

Spin murdered it https://www.spin.com/2018/04/a-perfe...ephant-review/

AV Club dismissed it https://music.avclub.com/a-perfect-c...bou-1825322971

DIS dismissed it http://drownedinsound.com/releases/2...eviews/4151761

So I dont know where these best of lists come from. The album was widely mocked and dismissed by many

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://www.metacritic.com/music/eat...perfect-circle

Metacritic gave it a weighted score of 68, which isn't bad. It's the same score that 10,000 Days got, for anything that's worth.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Fan/user reviews killed it

Pitchfork hated it https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...-the-elephant/

Needledrop hated it

another bad review https://www.thefourohfive.com/music/...e-elephant-152

Spin murdered it https://www.spin.com/2018/04/a-perfe...ephant-review/

AV Club dismissed it https://music.avclub.com/a-perfect-c...bou-1825322971

DIS dismissed it http://drownedinsound.com/releases/2...eviews/4151761

So I dont know where these best of lists come from. The album was widely mocked and dismissed by many
    Anthony Fantano is a fucking piece of shit, and you're really going to use Pitchfork as an argument on a NIN board?

AllMusic: 4/5
    Kerrang!: 5/5
    Metal Injection: 9/10
    The Independent: 4/5
    Sputnik Music: 4/5
    Loudwire: #3 best rock album of the year.
    Consequence of Sound: #13 best metal / hard rock album of the year.
    Gigwise: #1 album of the year
    Revolver: #10 album of the year
    Revolver fan poll: #3 album of the year

So you found a bunch of bad reviews, and I found a bunch of good ones. Guess what; neither means anything. A lot of people love Eat The Elephant, but more importantly, a lot of people don't think the quality of an APC or Puscifer album has anything to do with the potential quality of a Tool album.

You are more than welcome to dislike something, but don't talk about it like it's objectively bad. All that does is hurt people's feelings and alienate them from your viewpoint. If you want to discuss how Maynard's lyrics are more on the nose / less poetic on Eat The Elephant and that that raises concern in you for the lyrical content of the new Tool album, then hey, there's room for an intelligent, friendly discourse. If you just tell people something they love is a piece of shit, no one is going to respect or listen to your argument.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    re: APC vs Tool

Calm down guys, the drummer hasn't changed. We'll be fine.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Anthony Fantano is a fucking piece of shit.
    lol agreed

And while we're at it, so is Maynard James Keenan. Remember last year when he was accused of raping women at his shows and then made some callous, half-assed statement claiming his innocence and wreaking of arrogance? A class act, that guy..

Fuck him and his new Tool album that comes out in 2026. And anything else he does, for that matter..

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    re: APC vs Tool

Calm down guys, the drummer hasn't changed. We'll be fine.
    Adam is still there as well. Adam and Danny are 2 major key components of Tool. Honestly, Maynard has never really seen it as "his band". He totally gives the spotlight to the other guys. That's how he wants it. Maynard has little to no say on he music. Maynard is just there to provide vocals and sing, but like he does in APC.

APC is mainly Billy. Different group of people doing the music to both bands. We will be fine.
    If anything, we might not get any "The Grudge" or "Ticks & Leeches" type screaming on this record, doubt Maynard's voice could handle that in his 50s.
    I mean, I hope there are at least 1 or 2 really fucking hard songs on there, but I'm not holding my breath. I think it'll be more like Disposition/Reflection/Triad, wings for Marie/10k days type of stuff. The band said each song is at least 10 mins long. Guessing there will only be around 7-8 songs then. Maybe 10 if we're lucky, 8 main 9 min songs would clock in at 72 mins right there with maybe a couple 1-2 minute interludes will bring the total time to 75 mins.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    every song is at least 10 minutes long? get the fuck outta here with that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Taking interludes/song transitions into account, that's really not that much different from Lateralus or 10K Days yeah? Most of those songs are close to the 10 minute mark when combined, really.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    every song is at least 10 minutes long? get the fuck outta here with that.
    The 10 minutes info apparently comes directly from Tool, via the music clinics. For example, https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...-clinic-event/ .

Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    And while we're at it, so is Maynard James Keenan. Remember last year when he was accused of raping women at his shows and then made some callous, half-assed statement claiming his innocence and wreaking of arrogance? A class act, that guy..

Fuck him and his new Tool album that comes out in 2026. And anything else he does, for that matter..
    While I should know better than to respond about this, have you read the posts that discuss how the twitter account of the anonymous poster was also associated with (same email I believe, though it's been some time, I don't recall exactly) another twitter account that accused Trent hours later? See https://www.theprp.com/2018/06/29/ne...may-be-a-hoax/ and https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...xperience.html . Just thought I would mention this in case you did not know about that and your hostility is all based on that one anonymous allegation.
    Last edited by sinspots; 01-07-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I know the feelings running through the Tool fandom are strong but Jesus Christ enough with this relentless negativity. It’s nowhere near any kind of discussion at this point. It’s just bashing and trolling.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I know the feelings running through the Tool fandom are strong but Jesus Christ enough with this relentless negativity. It’s nowhere near any kind of discussion at this point. It’s just bashing and trolling.
    I just found Tool in 2018. I LOVE it!!! I am so excited that I will get to hear a new album and get to discuss it new with other fans (despite knowing there will be a fair amount of hating on it--as with fans for any new release). Tool has the most beautiful music written by a band I have ever listened to in my life*---meaning of life/life changing stuff! (Yes, I know that sounds like the pretentious Tool fans that people like to hate -- but I believe it to be true, for me). However, it does once in a while become draining emotionally to listen to meaning-of-life music constantly, so mixing in a little Puscifer (oh is Indigo Children a great song to move to!) or APC (yes, even the new APC) is a good balance. I guess I am lucky to not be bogged down by years of waiting or other issues that people have had (lots of frustration on Tool related boards). So, really, we should be celebrating like that one meme I found...what did it say...something like I am so glad to have been alive at the same time when Tool was making music!

*Disclaimer: For a band with music written by more than 1 (or 2) members. This is how I can say Tool is my fav band, yet Trent/NIN is still my fav overall (Trent being the sole member of NIN, up until Atticus). -.-

P.S. Yes, I tend to get a bit obsessive when I get into something. Thanks in advance for your understanding and being nice.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinspots View Post
    The 10 minutes info apparently comes directly from Tool, via the music clinics. For example, https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...-clinic-event/ .

While I should know better than to respond about this, have you read the posts that discuss how the twitter account of the anonymous poster was also associated with (same email I believe, though it's been some time, I don't recall exactly) another twitter account that accused Trent hours later? Just thought I would mention this in case you did not know about that and your hostility is all based on that one anonymous allegation.
    Whether the accusation was true or bullshit, it does not negate the fact MJK has always been known as a manwhore. Its common knowledge this guy used to run through groupies in the 90s at Anthony Kiedis/Dave Navarro levels. That doesn't make him a rapist, but it does make him a scumbag