Page 120 of 264 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 118 119 120 121 122 130 170 220 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 7895

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I think $500 is a tad too steep.

Or maybe I’m just jealous I’m not rolling in funds, nor will I be back to Ohio in time.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Played a RockBand with friends last week and I chose to sing Vicarious. I fucking nailed it, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the other guys (on guitar, bass and drums) weren't too familiar with the song and the size 5/4 in general so it turned into a mess. Morale of the story: the more people play with you, the fewer favorite songs you can play.

Really? the 5/4 fucked them up? compared to Schism or Parabola, Vicarious is pretty much straight 5/4 for most of the song.....but to be fair I also know how to play Rosetta Stoned by heart soooo......

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I nail the vocals to Vicarious every time I drink too. I’m particularly awesome at the final scream that Maynard can’t do live anymore.

Then I wake up and see the video and go “OOOF!!! Back to bed, that should never have happened, gotta quit drinking man.”

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I don't think there's going to be a "performance" in the usual sense of the word (live music), more like short demonstrations to get a point across in mid-discussion. Don't get me wrong, Tool is one of my favorite bands of all time and if I were wealthy, I wouldn't hesitate to buy myself a ticket, but I'm saving my money for shows that DO include a performance – like Northern Invasion.
    You could make the argument that what they're doing is a far more intimate and rare "event", thus worth way more than the typical $100 concert ticket. I dunno, this seems more similar to a paid conference than a paid concert to me.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I nail the vocals to Vicarious every time I drink too. I’m particularly awesome at the final scream that Maynard can’t do live anymore.

Then I wake up and see the video and go “OOOF!!! Back to bed, that should never have happened, gotta quit drinking man.”
    I can’t nail any of Maynard’s screams but vocally I can hit almost everything except 3 Libras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I can’t nail any of Maynard’s screams but vocally I can hit almost everything except 3 Libras.
    And then you wake up and see the video and go "OOOFF!!"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Adam at this clinic, "well folks, pretty much what I do most of the time is i take this low E string and I turn the tuning knob down so it is a essentially a d string. That's called drop d tuning. It makes it so anything I play is really easy and I can just chug along muted or not, and hit really any note I want (plays jambi) and no matter what it will sound pretty cool. Wheres my $500?"

The only way this would be worth 500 is if they let you go up and sing with the band playing.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessLoveless View Post
    Adam at this clinic, "well folks, pretty much what I do most of the time is i take this low E string and I turn the tuning knob down so it is a essentially a d string. That's called drop d tuning. It makes it so anything I play is really easy and I can just chug along muted or not, and hit really any note I want (plays jambi) and no matter what it will sound pretty cool. Wheres my $500?"

The only way this would be worth 500 is if they let you go up and sing with the band playing.
    As a guitar player, I could sit and listen to Adam talk hours about his thought process when it comes to his music. And then listen to Carrey talk about drums.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    As a guitar player, I could sit and listen to Adam talk hours about his thought process when it comes to his music. And then listen to Carrey talk about drums.
    He could probably spend a few weeks covering just tone.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    To each their own. I agree about Danny. And I love Tool. I really do. But Adam's "process" is probably a lot simpler than you think. I mean, what do you think he is doing that's so groundbreaking? Tone-wise or songwriting wise?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    To each their own. I agree about Danny. And I love Tool. I really do. But Adam's "process" is probably a lot simpler than you think. I mean, what do you think he is doing that's so groundbreaking? Tone-wise or songwriting wise?
    Its kinda like going to a car show. You go to see beautiful cars, learn about cars. Talk cars with other car enthusiasts.

Except, Replace all that shit with guitars, amps, and listening to good guitarist talk about his gear, his custom gear, his influences. How he approaches rhythm and melodies, etc.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    rofl a Tool creation process clinic now? The jokes just keep writing themselves with this outfit..

Adam: I’d really like to show you the latest stop-motion music video I’ve got an idea for, but the record label won’t give us any more money because 12 years since our last album..

Danny: We usually only feel like playing the same 7 or 8 songs on tour for our fans, so here’s a drum solo I throw out to kill some time..

Justin: These days I just lend my talents to the guys in Death Grips, because even though they’re dysfunctional af, at least they release music on a somewhat regular basis..

Maynard: (via Twitter) My creative process with this band involves watching my grapes ripen, touring with APC, and releasing more albums in four years with Puscifer than Tool has in 25..

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    rofl a Tool creation process clinic now? The jokes just keep writing themselves with this outfit..

Adam: I’d really like to show you the latest stop-motion music video I’ve got an idea for, but the record label won’t give us any more money because 12 years since our last album..

Danny: We usually only feel like playing the same 7 or 8 songs on tour for our fans, so here’s a drum solo I throw out to kill some time..

Justin: These days I just lend my talents to the guys in Death Grips, because even though they’re dysfunctional af, at least they release music on a somewhat regular basis..

Maynard: (via Twitter) My creative process with this band involves watching my grapes ripen, touring with APC, and releasing more albums in four years with Puscifer than Tool has in 25..
    Oh my god, come off it already.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Someone who goes needs to ask, how much of the prior meet and greet's money was blown by remaking a song from the early 90s and creating a video for said song that will never see the light of day. Like, just put it on the fucking website already. If it was worth re-doing in the first place, it must be insanely awesome. Let's finally see it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Someone who goes needs to ask, how much of the prior meet and greet's money was blown by remaking a song from the early 90s and creating a video for said song that will never see the light of day. Like, just put it on the fucking website already. If it was worth re-doing in the first place, it must be insanely awesome. Let's finally see it.
    If Tool’s contract disallows proceeds from online sales, they may be prohibited from releasing anything independently. Especially because it potentially generates ad revenue the label would insist it’s entitled to.

Maynard tweeted recently that the music will be made available at some point.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I don’t not see an issue with them doing it, it’s the absurd amount of money they’re askain’t for admission.

I hope its a poor turn out, for humanity’s sake.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I don’t not see an issue with them doing it, it’s the absurd amount of money they’re askain’t for admission.

I hope its a poor turn out, for humanity’s sake.
    I really really doubt that it'll be a poor turn out. It's supply and demand, a basic economics principle. Tool has proven in the past that there are people willing to pay absurds amount of money for their merchandise (see Opiate reissue). At $500 there the amount of people willing to pay for that experience will be less, but there will still be enough to sell out the event. I'm sure they have a good marketing team behind them. I'd like to attend one of those events, but I don't have enough money for something like that. But if they can sell it out at that price point, good for them.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I dunno, if Tool was one of my favorite bands and this was a long and intimate session with an extensive Q&A, I would think it might be worth it.
    I'm not a big enough fan though, but hey... yes, it's a lot of money, but I've spent that much money worse.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Maybe I'm just being naive but I don't think the intention is to sell out any of these venues, some of which are upwards of 2,000 people. A big selling point of these events is getting to mingle with the guys and have a Q+A session. That would be next to impossible with that many people, no? They probably have this limited to a very small amount of tickets.

*edit - that being said, all the events I just checked are still selling tickets... I was on the fence with whether I wanted to cough up the money for this, but if they're actually trying to fill these venues then screw that lol
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 04-16-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The one in Indy had something like 400 seats, so it's not the entire venue.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Ok so: I've been thinking about the tool show in Dallas in 98? 99? It was at the fair park music complex. Melvins were opening and it was their first time back at that venue (if not the city) since getting all the shit thrown at them with NIN. they had also been booed opening for Helmet I think. So they played like one song and got booed and walked off stage pissed off. I don't know what it was about Dallas and the Melvins but it was pretty damn funny.

Anyway, they then turned on some type of recording of someone reciting or reading like a text on theistic Satanism or something. People were cheering at first but it seemed like they left it on for at least half an hour, like as long as the Melvins set was supposed to be.
    It was pretty fucking interesting: at first people were cheering, but then they started getting uncomfortable and everyone wound up chanting "fuck this shit! Fuck this shit!"

And then Maynard came out dresses as a minister. This made me figure the satanic thing was played at all the shows, but I'm not sure about that and I would also guess that they didn't do it for that LONG at the other shows? It also wouldn't surprise me if this was only done in dallas, like, ha, to get back at us

It made for an interesting social experiment, like, "so you're into evil and such. are you REALLY into it?"

I wonder if anyone remembers much about this tour, and especially if any of you guys were also at that same show.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-23-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    ^^ wasn't at that tour at all; just wanted to say thanks for posting something about Tool that was actually interesting. Feel like it's been a good few pages since that's happened

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)

i would imagine that most of us have seen this, but i was talking to @thelastdisciple earlier and he hadn't seen it.

this was Maynard's band before he started Tool and the song is like a prototype of Sober.

But if you haven't seen it, i feel like i must warn you that you may never see Maynard the same way again

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

i would imagine that most of us have seen this, but i was talking to @thelastdisciple earlier and he hadn't seen it.

this was Maynard's band before he started Tool and the song is like a prototype of Sober.

But if you haven't seen it, i feel like i must warn you that you may never see Maynard the same way again
    Yep. C.A.D. = Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty. The album was called Fingernails and the Sober prototype was called Burn About Out.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Is this the studio version of "Descending"?

FB link from the band's page: https://www.facebook.com/ToolMusic/v...8192380574557/
    Last edited by virushopper; 04-26-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Yep. C.A.D. = Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty. The album was called Fingernails and the Sober prototype was called Burn About Out.
    what I can't figure out, for the life of me, is how the man's voice changed so damn much in just a few years, like between CAD and Opiate.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post

Is this the studio version of "Descending"?

FB link from the band's page: https://www.facebook.com/ToolMusic/v...8192380574557/

Some speculate its an awesome rip directly from the soundboard.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    wherever its from, it sounds pretty damn polished and good, the advertising/marketing for this thing is a bit cheesy but this clean version of descending made up for it.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Didn't listen to a clip yet (on the phone) but I vaguely remember a video on yt where some guy reconstructed Descending with his own playing (so basically a one man cover)

upd: didn't realize the video above is from official page...
    Last edited by fillow; 04-27-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    nothing I haven't heard before but still, sounds amazing and can't wait.