Page 108 of 264 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 158 208 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 7895

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by becomingtom View Post
    Can anyone tell me what time about Tool have been taking the stage?
    They "play" from 9-11 pm.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    They "play" from 9-11 pm.
    What are you implying with those quotation marks?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    What are you implying with those quotation marks?
    Well there's a 12 minute intermission in there. Hence the quotation marks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    it's pathetic that one song (eulogy) can get me to rethink going to an entire show, alas they've returned to old faithful. must've scared themselves straight with the first significant change in 15 fucking years.
    LOL.

This band, man. This band.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So I finally saw Maynard live for the first time ever. Can't believe it's been 10 years since the last time he came to Montreal.

It was simply amazing. I couldn't care about the terrible sound mixing, the setup, the visuals, the "short" setlist. I finally saw Maynard and the whole band was just top notch. Justin was my favorite. Maynard and Adam are just boring to watch. It was just so good to finally hear and see the band live, and they just played so well, it was very impressive to witness it all.

My friend and I are so happy about the evening.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Is Descending a fully fleshed-out song or is it just an instrumental/jam? Can someone link me to the most complete/best sounding recording of it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Is Descending a fully fleshed-out song or is it just an instrumental/jam? Can someone link me to the most complete/best sounding recording of it.
    According to Adam it is part of a long song. Not much else is known about the song. Snippets of the song has been heard on the 2012 and 2014 tour as little opening jams before songs.

2015/early 2016:

Late 2016:

Now:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Can we pour one out for our homie "Eulogy"? It appears to have died.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    Can we pour one out for our homie "Eulogy"? It appears to have died.
    I wonder if anyone in the VIP Q&A has asked Adam about it?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I was reading up about record labels (slow morning) and saw this for Volcano:

With Weird Al fulfilling his Sony contract on their main label RCA, for his 2014 album Mandatory Fun, this leaves Volcano functioning as primarily a reissue label (though many lower selling releases were taken out of print in 2009) and the home of only Tool. However, depending on how long it takes the band to finish new music, it is likely Volcano may not even exist if and when it is released.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    On the subject of staleness in Tool's setlist:

I've seen them about 7-8 times (all since Lateralus), and can only remember 3 occasions where a song's inclusion in the setlist caught me offguard

2016 They opened with No Quarter, the Led Zeppelin cover, though they apparently opened every show on that tour this way so it wasnt unusual...I just was personally not expecting it at all and had frankly forgotten they ever covered it until it began and I had a mini "holy shit" moment. Also got Sweat and Opiate that night, which seem to also have been standard for that tour with Primus opening.

2007 they played Flood out of nowhere which is one of my favorite concert moments of all time...was not expecting it at all, its one of my favorite songs and to this day after 7-8 shows is the only song I've ever seen them play from Undertow (a couple friends of mine claim to have seen them play Sober and Intolerance on two separate occasions in the late 00s but I missed these shows)

2003 after touring Lateralus for like a year and half and this being the 3rd time I saw them in support of the album, they opened the show with a totally unexpected and blistering version of Cold & Ugly, before going into the usual Lateralus heavy w/ a touch of Aenima set. Of note that they did play H and Third Eye that night too

So yeah, other than that every single show has been incredibly standard. They don't vary their setlist alot, and I'm not really adding anything to the conversation other than my own personal experience.

I will say that even if the setlists don't vary much at all, they've never ever once disappointed me in terms of the quality of the show and performance regardless of whether I've heard the songs live before 5-6 times or not. And I'm not easily impressed.
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 06-05-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Wow. I've only seen Tool 4 times and I've had the pleasure of seeing Flood, The Patient, Sober, & Intolerance. I never got to see Eulogy, though. I would LOVE to see them play that! Or anything off of Opiate, for that matter. The Only song I've ever seen them play from Opiate is the title track (which was pretty awesome). I bought tickets to the St. Paul show this Friday when they went on sale, but ended up having to sell them to a (female) friend because we were planning my bachelor party for this weekend. So they'd better not decide to pull out something awesome like Eulogy, Hush, or Ticks & Leeches. I'll feel much better about having to miss it if it's the same tired setlist you guys have been complaining about.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'll be in my Halo 28 shirt at the Allstate Arena. Can't wait for Thursday!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    For what it's worth, tonight in Detroit was my 10th tool show across 20 years, and probably my favorite one. Eulogy would've been great, but they did it at soundcheck. Also, no Vicarious haha.

Third Eye was everything it needed to be and then some. This band can definitely troll the fuck out of their fans, but they're still capable of bringing it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    For what it's worth, tonight in Detroit was my 10th tool show across 20 years, and probably my favorite one. Eulogy would've been great, but they did it at soundcheck. Also, no Vicarious haha.

Third Eye was everything it needed to be and then some. This band can definitely troll the fuck out of their fans, but they're still capable of bringing it.
    holy shit the pot.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    holy shit the pot.
    Justin was having so much fun with the Pot! - that bass line is incredibly sick.

*edit - also should point out that it did appear the visuals for The Pot last night could have been from the supposedly shelved/unreleased video. I didn't really realize they haven't been playing that song on this tour. It was a dirty, grimy setting with a sinewy naked male figure crawling around everywhere. I don't remember seeing that on previous tours, and I'm not sure if Vicarious was using those visuals on other dates (I doubt it since that actually had a video). Every other song that had a music video was used last night, so that's my only basis for thinking that.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 06-08-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Going to the show tonight. Anyone kept tabs on white time Tool takes the stage at? TIA.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Roughly 9pm, I think it was actually perhaps a few minutes before 9 last night. 7:30pm was the show time on the ticket though, I see tonight is 8pm, so not sure if that means it'll be a half hour later or what.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Wow. I'm speechless.

I about shit my pants when I heard Spoiler: The Grudge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Wow. I'm speechless.

I about shit my pants when I heard Spoiler: The Grudge
    oh wowzer they never play that! jealous

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Just looked at setlistfm for the St. Paul show, looks like they got boned with a short setlist.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Just looked at setlistfm for the St. Paul show, looks like they got boned with a short setlist.
    thought about going, glad I didn't

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i broke down and went to the chicago show last week...i take back all the bad things i've said regarding the setlist (yes, its repetitive) but man were they awesome. nearly everything was perfect, they really are far and away in a league of their own (possibly better than NIN live right now).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    (possibly better than NIN live right now).
    nope. that MN review said it best:

The sinister unpredictability of the band's sound, look, and stage set has been replaced by a show that resembles a conventional art-house film set to the music of Tool, and the musicians are like actors in a carefully choreographed song-and-dance routine
    We're all sitting here speculating what Trent might do for his run of 4 shows, meanwhile Tool fans know 90% of the visual and audio experience before ever walking into the arena.
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 06-13-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I'd agree that NIN takes it with the unpredictability of their tours (mostly anyways), but if I caught each band for one show and one show only I'd have to say Tool is the better one.

Its weird, I have a hard time getting friends come with me to NIN, but a lot of people are willing to go see Tool. Some of that has to do with Tool being more accessible as far as a band with guitars/vocals/bass/drums whereas NIN is a bit more of an acquired taste with being heavy on electronics.

Tool sells out their heir shows almost immediately and the crowd always is really into it. Can't say that for some NIN shows I've been to. I literally heard some dude walk out after Tension in DC just say "Worst show ever...". Him and his group just kept walking. ::shrug::

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I'd agree that NIN takes it with the unpredictability of their tours (mostly anyways), but if I caught each band for one show and one show only I'd have to say Tool is the better one.

Its weird, I have a hard time getting friends come with me to NIN, but a lot of people are willing to go see Tool. Some of that has to do with Tool being more accessible as far as a band with guitars/vocals/bass/drums whereas NIN is a bit more of an acquired taste with being heavy on electronics.

Tool sells out their heir shows almost immediately and the crowd always is really into it. Can't say that for some NIN shows I've been to. I literally heard some dude walk out after Tension in DC just say "Worst show ever...". Him and his group just kept walking. ::shrug::
    Tool is definitely the bigger band, i'm not sure why (accessibility - hmm, maybe), i think a lot has to do with maynard and the sheer power of their shows. it's almost like you need to sit down and relax after you see them (not from exhaustion but something just "different"). nin has lost some of that dark/atmospheric edge they had in the past, i think that has reduced the impact of their live experience. seeing "the hand that feeds" isnt quite the same as "stinkfist".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    nope. that MN review said it best:

We're all sitting here speculating what Trent might do for his run of 4 shows, meanwhile Tool fans know 90% of the visual and audio experience before ever walking into the arena.
    let's not get carried away, trent has played a very stagnant set himself the last several years (not as much as tool), but it's def lacked variety.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    interesting debate, I'd say NIN is a bigger kick in the balls than t00l at this point, it's quite a powerful show, t00l however is a bit more of a religious experience.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    let's not get carried away, trent has played a very stagnant set himself the last several years (not as much as tool), but it's def lacked variety.

NIN since 2008: LitS, NIN/JA, Tension, NIN/Soundgarden, HTAE
    Tool since 2008: 10k Days Tour Spring, 10k Days Tour Fall, 10k Days Tour Spring, 10k Days Tour Fall, 10k Days Tour Spring, 10k Days Tour Fall, 10k Days Tour Spring, 10k Days Tour Fall

As a serious fans of both bands, I am genuinely excited to see what NIN comes up with; with Tool I merely feel like I am scratching an itch. A nagging itch that must be scratched at least once every year.
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 06-13-2017 at 03:40 PM.