Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1427

Thread: Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great overall CD , Live they were amazing , hopefully we have not seen the last of them..

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I have no problem at all with We Fade Away (which does actually work quite well as the last lyric-based song) or The Loop Closes, but I get what you mean. Recursive Self-Improvement drags on for too long, and Hallowed Ground is very much going out with a whimper after the noisy buildup of The Loop Closes. I think they'd both work a lot better set to lyrics. The passages where Mariqueen's singing isn't buried under a mountain of effects are some of the best on the album, it'd be great to hear a bit more of that.
    yeah, I sort of have to agree with all of this -- the pacing of the album is off
    its funny, because as I sit here typing this I'm listening to Low, which I think Antiquiet compared Welcome Oblivion to in terms of pacing. Which, like many things Antiquiet says, is superficially almost accurate. But it doesn't quite gel the same way Low does, and I think it's for two reasons. First, the sharp contrast between the first and second half of Low isn't quite the same on Welcome Oblivion, where the instrumental digressions really just feel like someone muted the vocals. And second, nothing quite hits the experimental high of the latter half of Low -- Subterraneans breaks my heart every single time. Hallowed Ground is interesting but... not good enough to justify the indulgence for this listener, I guess?

as long as I'm wanking right now, I'd replace the existing instrumentals with the vinyl instrumentals, and close out with Speaking in Tongues

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    guy's does anyone have any idea of variants for welcome to oblivion?
    I have Polish, Japan & Argentina ones,
    I know of Euro & US ones, any others?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I have Polish version for trade

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Played this album the other week, running through it again today. The album is better than I remembered. I can understand why some musicians are pissed at apple and what they have done. The $0.30 white ear buds shipped with iPods & iPhones do not reveal the whole song. Especially the low end sounds.

It's bands & groups like these that make music interesting. Imagine walking into a library, with 1000's of albums on shelves. You sift through albums and see this cover, think it's cool and buy it. Take it home not knowing what to expect. Nice treat. Sweet serendipity, is gone. Now-a-days I just click through youtube. The industry isn't too focused on talented, smart, trained musicians. Music should go beyond a synth keyboard, mac, mic, autotune.

Anyway, this album will be a nice one to hold onto for the next 50 years. 'How Long' & the music video still gives me strange feelings of doubt, warmth, joy, pain etc...

/rant

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    'Strings and attractors' is one of my favourite. Some of the sounds remind me of a game I played on my Game Boy when I was like 10. The chorus is killer too.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Finally found a sequence which made listening to this album enjoyable for me:

01 - Keep It Together
    02 - And The Sky Began To Scream
    03 - On The Wing
    04 - The Sleep Of Reason
    05 - The Province Of Fear
    06 - Strings And Attractors
    07 - Unintended Consequences
    08 - We Fade Away
    09 - The Loop Closes
    10 - Speaking In Tongues

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    This project gives me more joy than HM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    This project gives me more joy than HM.
    I could see that. Personally, I think I've listened to this once since HM came out -- I feel like if the second half of the album hit the same highs as the first half, I'd love this a lot more. As is, it feels like a great EP -- not as much to chew on.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Mm, I can agree that sometimes Welcome Oblivion can feel a little overlong, but on the other hand for whatever reason I've been giving this a spin at least once a day for the past week. The vinyl version, even, which is longer! It really is a delicious album, and I'm apparently just falling in love with it all over again. I think you probably do have to be in the right frame of mind to really sink into it and not let the length get to you. It's a pretty wonderful headspace once you're there, though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I never realised the vinyl edition had more stuff on it and I've only just listened to The Province of Fear, and I bloody love it

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I never realised the vinyl edition had more stuff on it and I've only just listened to The Province of Fear, and I bloody love it
    Need a pm?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Need a pm?
    Yes please (while you're pming, you wouldn't have the audio for purest feeling as well?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Owning the cd version, still enjoy this cd, would love to hear more of this band, starting to think that may not happen anytime soon...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    does anyone have a high quality large copy of the Welcome Oblivion cover? for instance, what came with the digital download?
    when i googled, i came across two slightly different images... one was more smoother when it came to the distorted lines.
    Last edited by neorev; 05-21-2016 at 02:34 AM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    does anyone have a high quality large copy of the Welcome Oblivion cover? for instance, what came with the digital download?
    when i googled, i came across two slightly different images... one was more smoother when it came to the distorted lines.
    Yes, here's one.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Oh nice, thanks! That's the better looking one. All the ones I see on Google images look fuzzy and crappy. I dunno if it's just people's shitty image rips or another version. Shame if it's a shitty rip being passed around all over.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    That may be because each track of the digital version of Welcome Oblivion has a differently glitched cover art, progressing over the album. You could make a gif off it. I won't. Too much work. Lazy. But someone could, and may have.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I have a 24-44 lossless version of the first self titled EP
    Qobuz.com sells a version of Welcome Oblivion with the self titled EP as bonus tracks in 24-96 lossless.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The vinyl and CD had slightly different covers because they're from two different photographs. The only sign of it is that the distortion lines are different. Maybe that's why you're seeing two different images.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The covers that came with the hi-res download are available here. I did not include the individual track art or the high-quality PDF (75.4 MB). I don't personally see the harm in including them since the download is no longer available to purchase, but that's okay.

cover 01 = 1500 x 1499 .jpg; 72 dpi/ppi; sRGB; software metadata
    cover 02 = 1500 x 1500 .jpg; 72 dpi/ppi; sRGB; software metadata
    cover 03 = 1500 x 1500 .jpg; 72 dpi/ppi; sRGB, software and camera metadata

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The covers that came with the hi-res download are available here. I did not include the individual track art or the high-quality PDF (75.4 MB). I don't personally see the harm in including them since the download is no longer available to purchase, but that's okay.

cover 01 = 1500 x 1499 .jpg; 72 dpi/ppi; sRGB; software metadata
    cover 02 = 1500 x 1500 .jpg; 72 dpi/ppi; sRGB; software metadata
    cover 03 = 1500 x 1500 .jpg; 72 dpi/ppi; sRGB, software and camera metadata

Your OCD arouses me in ways that words will never be able to convey.
    Last edited by Ryan; 06-10-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    If anyone has been on the fence about buying the vinyl of Welcome Oblivion you might want to grab one now. . . store.nin.com only has 4 left in inventory as of right now. . .

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Too late, all gone. . .
    Last edited by NIN64; 12-20-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Listened again just now and I'm really loving the production on this and The Omen EP. So good and trippy.

Does Speaking In Tongues sample the drums of White Mask?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    Too late, all gone. . .
    IT LIVES!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Did anyone ever figure out or confirm who the person on the front cover actually was?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just curious, but how could you tell how much they had in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    If anyone has been on the fence about buying the vinyl of Welcome Oblivion you might want to grab one now. . . store.nin.com only has 4 left in inventory as of right now. . .

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    Just curious, but how could you tell how much they had in stock?
    If you looked at the js source for each item page on the former store.nin.com there was an "inventory quantity" value that counted down to zero as people purchased. Not sure if the new version has this; I haven't looked...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Totally forgot about this record...