Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Well, this album was boring. I really wanted to enjoy it too. I admit, the mixing is great, but the lyrics come off as cliche NIN lyrics even though Trent didn't write them. Also, some parts of this album are WAY too repetitive for their own good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm really loving the album, especially listening to it with headphones on at a good volume. I know everyone will scoff at me for this, but I ripped my CD to iTunes Plus AAC 256vbr and listened last night with my iPod classic through some Sony wraparounds. The dub effects in Keep It Together are freaky! I'd love to figure out what all the voices in The Wake-Up are saying too.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Oh geeze. Really?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Oh geeze. Really?
    Yeah. Not proud of it. It's hard to defend my hatred of will.i.am's crap when that detail comes up. I guess it comes down to a moment of misunderstanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome, my CD just shipped! I didn't listen to the stream too much/too closely, so it'll be a new (yet familiar) listen if that makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Listened to this in the car. I disagree with Trent's test play - it is much better on headphones. I'll reserve final judgment for when the actual CD is in my car, though. I do think that (especially) "The Wake-Up", "And The Sky Began To Scream" and "Welcome Oblivion" are made for open atmospheres though.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Along those lines, I was actually surprised at how well "Too Late, All Gone" sounds through my speakers - when they're pointed at your head right, the manipulation of stereo phase in that track is pretty incredible in a way that does not come across at all in my headphones. There are a number of spots on the album like that, actually. That probably wouldn't come across as well in a car, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it sounds better in my car than it does on headphones. I feel like HTDA really benefits from having some space to bounce around in.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I keep hearing "I might just fucking kill myself" in We Fade Away instead of "Am I just talking to myself" and it makes the song feel so much darker than it already is.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm in London for the weekend and managed to persuade a record shop to sell me a copy of the CD ahead of its UK release.
    Nice people.
    Last edited by Camille; 03-03-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Probably should remove the record store's name, don't wanna get them in trouble if any Columbia people are browsing the site.
    Have they got any promo stuff there though? Standees, posters etc?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Probably should remove the record store's name, don't wanna get them in trouble if any Columbia people are browsing the site.
    Have they got any promo stuff there though? Standees, posters etc?
    Done.
    No. No promo material as yet.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    Done.
    No. No promo material as yet.
    I got a 12x12" double sided poster thing, thicker material with 2 different versions of the cd album cover. only 2 came to my record store, but i did get 3 an omen ep 11x17" posters

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Just got email confirmation (yeah...on a Sunday afternoon?) that my copy from Amazon has shipped. I didn't even bother to look to see what versions might be available via the band's page, because money's tight enough as it is that I nearly didn't purchase it at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was able to pick up the album today at a local record store. They all always have Tuesday's releases available during the weekend prior.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I recieved my UK CD copy from Amazon today, will probabaly be listening to it a little later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To my fellow people in the UK:
    I went to go buy this today in HMV, couldn't find it whatsoever. Asked the nice lady for assistance, she said 'oh yeah we've got it!' and took me to the metal section.

so if you can't find it, it's because HMV can't sort genres for shit.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthebear View Post
    To my fellow people in the UK:
    I went to go buy this today in HMV, couldn't find it whatsoever. Asked the nice lady for assistance, she said 'oh yeah we've got it!' and took me to the metal section.

so if you can't find it, it's because HMV can't sort genres for shit.
    In my experience, HMV don't really know much about music unless it's in the top shitting ten.

Good you got it in the end though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    In my experience, HMV don't really know much about music unless it's in the top shitting ten.

Good you got it in the end though.
    I would have agreed with you but in the same store I saw Mogwai's Les Revenants (a soundtrack to a tv show not even shown here) on more prominent display, and even with cheap vinyl copies. Weird stuff.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthebear View Post
    I would have agreed with you but in the same store I saw Mogwai's Les Revenants (a soundtrack to a tv show not even shown here) on more prominent display, and even with cheap vinyl copies. Weird stuff.
    I must admit I have obtained quite a lot of left field and perhaps difficult to find sounds at HMV over the years. I guess i'm just a little bitter that they have chosen to close all of the stores in my city. A lot of other towns are cities are being left with at least one. They are however leaving us with a branch of Fopp, so that's something.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Those who have already received or bought their cds have noticed those mastering differences for "Too Late, All Gone" (lower sound quality, if I understood correctly) or "The Loop Closes" (slightly different ending) mentioned before?

Also, are there any pics for the digipack and the booklet?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Has anyone received shipping confirmations for the merch yet? The site said the shirts were supposed to ship out last week, and yet there's been nothing on my account since I placed the order for the second shirt, independent of my already-delayed other order. While the vinyl situation is frustrating, I understand what happened, but I don't see any reason for the shirts not to ship out.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Been quite enjoying the new album. I was unsure at first after listening to the stream a few times. I don't think it's something I will play a lot of, but it's really rather good. Nice to have the physical item.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, just listened to it in full, great music to listen to in Milkdrop while wearing a pair of Sennhesiers, very immersive. That said, I have to say that some of the later songs did seem to really drag on for a while.

On another note, did anyone else think that Recursive Self-Improvment sounds very Aphex Twin?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I still can't believe how impressed I am with Welcome Oblivion. It reminds me so much of Low actually: how the second half just turns over within itself and just surrenders to the soundscapes. It's all pretty staggering.

Here's what I wrote about it for Antiquiet, by the way.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Midnight EST, bring it on

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Has anyone received shipping confirmations for the merch yet? The site said the shirts were supposed to ship out last week, and yet there's been nothing on my account since I placed the order for the second shirt, independent of my already-delayed other order. While the vinyl situation is frustrating, I understand what happened, but I don't see any reason for the shirts not to ship out.
    Same situation here, only ordered merch. Still quiet.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I had a t shirt ordered from a different card and account from the vinyl and nothing either. Maybe they are run the guys at topspin and forgot to tell us?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just out of interest, what do other peoples order statuses say? My CD pre-order only just changed from 'recieved' to 'processing' so I wonder if that means there'll be a delay in shipping?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Just out of interest, what do other peoples order statuses say? My CD pre-order only just changed from 'recieved' to 'processing' so I wonder if that means there'll be a delay in shipping?

same here and my order include a vinyl and the last person on earth shirt.