Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    That video was interesting to watch in full-screen.

The loop closes seemed like an odd choice for a video to me, but I guess it was meant as a way of heralding the full-length? I don't know.

I hope the deluxe packages (if there are any) don't get too absurd, since I'd like to still be able to actually buy the nicest version of the album.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    it's cool that all four are seen singing in this one. also, the cigarette makes first appearance since The space in between!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I don't understand why they are re-releasing tracks that were on the EP.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Think of it as "An omen released those tracks early" instead and you'll be fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post

The loop closes seemed like an odd choice for a video to me, but I guess it was meant as a way of heralding the full-length? I don't know.

I hope the deluxe packages (if there are any) don't get too absurd, since I'd like to still be able to actually buy the nicest version of the album.
    this is an odd song to choose for a single. however, of the three songs/videos they have released from this ep this is, by far, the best. i also think this will lend itself very well for some good remixes (i hope).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I don't understand why they are re-releasing tracks that were on the EP.
    ??

This is a new video for a song on their most recent album. The song is not a re-release, and the EP is not a previous album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post

Dunno, on first listen is was the only track from An Omen_ that screamed 'catchy and accessible' to me. Personally, I really love the track; for one thing, unless I'm mistaken it's the first time we've heard Trent actually sing since 2008 (as opposed to whispering, mumbling or breathing in the background).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Dunno, on first listen is was the only track from An Omen_ that screamed 'catchy and accessible' to me. Personally, I really love the track; for one thing, unless I'm mistaken it's the first time we've heard Trent actually sing since 2008 (as opposed to whispering, mumbling or breathing in the background).
    2011's cover of Zoo Station, proper singing there. His voice is also very prominent in Is Your Love Strong Enough, albeit in a backing role.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Maybe I didn't phrase it properly. If you release a 6-song EP (Omen), take X number of songs off that EP and put it on your album to be released 3 months later, that's my definition of being lazy.
    Poor consumer value.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Maybe I didn't phrase it properly. If you release a 6-song EP (Omen), take X number of songs off that EP and put it on your album to be released 3 months later, that's my definition of being lazy.
    Poor consumer value.
    Other way round. They were making the LP and took some songs off it, plus some outtake, and made the EP.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Ok I get it. Makes more sense but it sounds like the label was not very confident about the album so they tested the water by releasing an EP. See the reaction and then determine what kind of marketing budget will go into full length.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    For me, the last EP is just some kind of promotional maxisingle, advancing a few songs from the full LP with a couple of extra songs to make it a more worthy release.

The previous EP was more of an individual release, like Broken, while An Omen would be more like a single but with several songs from the LP in order to ease the waiting for the album that should have been relesed in the late 2012 but was pushed to 2013 because of their new contract with Columbia (I guess).

So, it's not like if TDS had included Wish, Gave Up and Happiness In Slavery, it's more like the MOTP and Closer maxisingles, or I rather see it that way, I might be wrong.

BTW, I hope that the couple of songs that seem to be not included in the LP are released in some kind of CD deluxe edition in a second disc with a few of the remixes released so far to compensate the lack of CD edition for An Omen (I might have said this in a previous post, but I repeat it just in case that somebody from the HTDA camp reads this).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    MARIQUEEN MAANDIG
    ‏@mariqueen
    our full-length record "welcome oblivion" drops march 5th on columbia.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'm excited. Trent said before that some of the songs on the ep will be on the LP, why so many people have their panties in a bunch, I do not know.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    why is it a surprise to anyone? the album tracklist was spoiled here on ETS even before the EP came out.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    sadly, not as excited for this... which makes me even more sad
    especially now already knowing and hearing a quarter of the album
    a quarter of the album in which only one song really somewhat did it for me
    a sad day for a Reznor fan such as myself, hopefully the album can make up for it

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    why is it a surprise to anyone? the album tracklist was spoiled here on ETS even before the EP came out.
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    sadly, not as excited for this... which makes me even more sad
    especially now already knowing and hearing a quarter of the album
    a quarter of the album in which only one song really somewhat did it for me
    a sad day for a Reznor fan such as myself, hopefully the album can make up for it
    here we go again....
    pfff
    have a nice weekend

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    MARIQUEEN MAANDIG
    ‏@mariqueen
    our full-length record "welcome oblivion" drops march 5th on columbia.
    Anniversary of my mothers death, hopefully the album will make that day a little cheerier.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CANTCOMPLAIN View Post
    For me, the last EP is just some kind of promotional maxisingle, advancing a few songs from the full LP with a couple of extra songs to make it a more worthy release.
    I'd also like to think of The Omen as a b-sides collection of sorts. I'm guessing Welcome Oblivion is a concept album, and the songs on the EP were parts they thought could survive as standalone tracks worthy enough to release in an effort to hold fans over until the full album comes out. The subject matter in 'Speaking In Tongues' seems to imply that there's a bigger picture that hasn't been revealed yet (dissapointed that it likely didn't make the album)

Of course, even the word 'omen' implies that the EP is only a small sample of bigger, hopefully better, things to come.
    Last edited by Presideo; 01-11-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    here we go again....
    pfff
    have a nice weekend
    here we go again, someone who can't handle an honest/negative opinion...
    god forbid, there's a civil discussion where there are positive and negative aspects
    grow up

the Omen EP was a bit disappointing for me and knowing that quarter of it made it to the new album is going to result in some disappointment
    is it a surprise that they are on there? no, of course we all knew it
    but i only enjoyed On A Wing from that EP

did i come on here calling everything shit and throwing a tantrum like some? no
    it's called a discussion board, learn how to use it

i'm hoping for some more direct and gripping tracks on the album... like The Space Between
    where the EP felt kinda lackadaisical and meandering at points

Keep It Together feels like the wrong way to open the album... so much focus was on that track with its prominent place on the EP
    i never enjoyed when the lead off single is also the first track off the album that its promoting
    it takes me out of the moment... kinda like been there, heard that already... i like to be surprised a bit when throwing on a record

i remember throwing on With Teeth for the first time and when All The Love In The World started, it brought a smile to my face...
    something new, something different and not expected
    Last edited by neorev; 01-11-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

blah blah blah

I like a lot of his work with NIN and HTDA in the past but Rob Sheridan sure is getting old me to. We get it dude, you use new technology to make it look old. You are so freaking indie. Why not just move to Austin and get it over with!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY View Post
    I like a lot of his work with NIN and HTDA in the past but Rob Sheridan sure is getting old me to. We get it dude, you use new technology to make it look old. You are so freaking indie. Why not just move to Austin and get it over with!
    I don't think it's about being "indie" at all, but some of his stuff is getting a bit old. The artwork for An Omen reminds me of some of the Year Zero stuff, and eventually people will get tired of glitch art. I still dig it, but if Welcome Oblivion follows the same style, it'll be too much, I think.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Talking about the artwork on this thread is pointless, we haven't seen a single pixel of art for WO yet.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    We can talk about the art we've seen though, especially on The Loop Closes, photoshoots, An Omen, Ice Age, etc. It's reasonable to assume the visuals for the full length will be in keeping with what we've seen already.

Ultimately running digital video through a VHS machine and filming it again amounts to about as much as throwing several filters at an image in photoshop. Sure, they're custom made and aesthetically pleasing filters, but at this point it's starting to feel like a substitute for substantive content. Actually, I've found it pretty underwhelming on a visual level from the start.

The visuals for their first ep had the right idea: get as far away from NIN as possible. The visuals we've seen thus far feel like a regression from that stand point.
    Last edited by Magtig; 01-11-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    We can talk about the art we've seen though, especially on The Loop Closes, photoshoots, An Omen, Ice Age, etc. It's reasonable to assume the visuals for the full length will be in keeping with what we've seen already.

Ultimately running digital video through a VHS machine and filming it again amounts to about as much as throwing several filters at an image in photoshop. Sure, they're custom made and aesthetically pleasing filters, but at this point it's starting to feel like a substitute for substantive content. Actually, I've found it pretty underwhelming on a visual level from the start.

The visuals for their first ep had the right idea: get as far away from NIN as possible. The visuals we've seen thus far feel like a regression from that stand point.

Agreed. Even back to the With Teeth days you had hints of it with the distortion and so on. It's just the same thing re-used. Bit sick of it myself too - remember The Hand That Feeds video? There were elements of it there even.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    But the videos are for the EP - the songs may be on the LP too, but they do not necessarily reflect what the album's art will be like.

I would agree that EP1 has better art than EP2 though.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Agreed. Even back to the With Teeth days you had hints of it with the distortion and so on. It's just the same thing re-used. Bit sick of it myself too - remember The Hand That Feeds video? There were elements of it there even.
    "glitches" date back to DVD menu of halo seventeen, but that wasn't Sheridan (or was he?)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    It was Carson and Sheridan

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I loved the organic art during The Fragile. Really beautiful stuff. The unreleased TDTWWA video and promo video for Things Falling Apart spring to mind.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    the Omen EP was a bit disappointing for me and knowing that quarter of it made it to the new album is going to result in some disappointment
    I'm also peeved that 1/3 of the album has already been released, and that 1/3 wasn't anything amazing. However, I'm willing to wait for the other 2/3 to make a final decision. I'm an album lover more than a song lover. There have been plenty of songs that I've disliked as standalone tracks, but enjoyed/tolerated when they were used as a small piece to a large jigsaw puzzle.

A major problem I had with The Omen EP was that it started off slow and never picked up, making the mechanical, lethargic pace of 'Ice Age' stick out like a sore thumb. Things didn't actually pick up until the penultimate song, which felt like an epic miscue pace-wise . But instead of the 2nd track, 'Ice Age' is now the 8th track. If livelier tracks precede it then I might think of the track differently. It might become the 'A Warm Place' or 'The Greater Good' of the album - a nice break from the chaos before the final act.