Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 04_: Welcome oblivion

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Ah, yeah, alright. Sorry, there's been so many posts in this topic in the past few hours that I must've scrolled right by it. I myself noticed them with Fast Video Downloader when I was trying to pull the mp3s from the site.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    ???
    Confused...

BTW, the pirate bay rip seems to be very decent quality. It appears that the files are all named track 1, track 2, etc... but when placed in iTunes, all info shows up correctly ad in order.
    I checked this one too and to me it sounds like it's entirely in mono? I did a fixed rip to myself from the one which was at the russian site. Can't wait to hear this one in proper quality.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konkelo View Post
    I checked this one too and to me it sounds like it's entirely in mono? I did a fixed rip to myself from the one which was at the russian site. Can't wait to hear this one in proper quality.
    Agree, the TPB version isn't right.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I got the $2,650.00 shipping method. Supposedly Trent hand delivers it.
    Think he will reattempt delivery if I am not home?
    Nah, he'll just leave and then call you a "cunt" on the Internet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ordered finally. Listened to the stream on Pitchfork and love it! Looking forward to a proper listen when it arrives.

And interesting breakdown on the shipping I got: $8.99 standard $14.99 3-day $18.99 2-day $26.49 next day. If it's going by UPS, wouldn't standard and 3-day be the same anyways?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Yeah, the items already say "Ships for March 5 delivery," so I don't really understand the different delivery costs either. If you order it next-day, do you get it a week early or something? (It's probably just the boilerplate information, and they don't remove it during the pre-orders.)
    Last edited by jessamineny; 02-19-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ugh. We broke Pitchfork. Need more stream.

Pre-ordered

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Nah, he'll just leave and then call you a "cunt" on the Internet.
    Hell, I'd pay him good money to to call me a cunt. I'd frame that shit and put it on the wall. Few people have one of Reznor's hand crafted cunts.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Think anyone could be kind enough to PM me a link to the skipless version?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Swapped out the album version of "Ice age" for the Deadmau remix and things are looking good!

With the exception of the vocal pop adlibs on "How Long" I can't point out much that I don't like now :]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have downloaded 2 versions from TPB, the first one is 150mb and right now there is a new one specifically claiming to be 320kbps, which is 151mb... so which version is the one that is in mono or "wrong" as some of you have said above? I have also downloaded Qneill's version (thanks), which is just 109mb but supposedly skipless, and now I just don't know which one should I listen, I'm going to listen the album for the first time and I just don't know what to do.

PS: I've just preordered the cd at amazon while buying the second season of Game Of Thrones (bd) for a great price.

PS2: I'll just listen to Qneill's version, I trust that it's a good one.
    Last edited by Max Leo; 02-19-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Add me to the list of people with a raging boner for this album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The title track Welcome oblivion is just...Gawd!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I've been on the fence with HTDA since its inception, and the whole time I've been wondering why... I haven't actually said much about it here.
    The production is nice, and the music all and all is very Trent Reznor-y and I've always like most things Trent Reznor.

But I think I realize why this whole thing is a big "MEH" for me. At first I thought it was just Mariqueen, I don't know how to explain my feelings there. I can't say I'm a fan, and it rarely feels like she's singing about anything at all. But my wife was listening to this with me today and she put it so much better than I had.

"This sounds so... safe..." and it's true! This music has no edge at all. Where once Trent was constantly pushing boundaries and innovating and he's at his finest when he's making something new. But everything here is trodden territory and there's no risk involved... The lyrics feel empty..

As I mentioned, it's decent music and pretty well made but it seems quite toothless considering the source.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I've been on the fence with HTDA since its inception, and the whole time I've been wondering why... I haven't actually said much about it here.
    The production is nice, and the music all and all is very Trent Reznor-y and I've always like most things Trent Reznor.

But I think I realize why this whole thing is a big "MEH" for me. At first I thought it was just Mariqueen, I don't know how to explain my feelings there. I can't say I'm a fan, and it rarely feels like she's singing about anything at all. But my wife was listening to this with me today and she put it so much better than I had.

"This sounds so... safe..." and it's true! This music has no edge at all. Where once Trent was constantly pushing boundaries and innovating and he's at his finest when he's making something new. But everything here is trodden territory and there's no risk involved... The lyrics feel empty..

As I mentioned, it's decent music and pretty well made but it seems quite toothless considering the source.
    yes, if only she sang about fucking like animals, we could all get on board

this album is fucking killer. the production is unreal -- sort of like what Levi said way earlier, this has just depressed the fuck out of me because why should I even try making music, when nothing I can do would sound this good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's pretty different though, you gotta give him that. It's still got his mark on it, but it's a lot more ambient and spacey. I wouldn't confuse this with a NIN album.

Also, agree with screwdriver - the sound is insane and the version I'm listening to is no doubt godawful compared to what I'll have in my hands in two weeks.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I'm not sure why Trent has to reinvent the wheel every time he comes out with an album. He's proven himself at this point. I love his music, but there's nothing wrong with something sounding cool, if a little familiar. Welcome Oblivion isn't a game changer. It's just a groovy little album, and at this point that's all I really want from Trent.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    yes, if only she sang about fucking like animals, we could all get on board

this album is fucking killer. the production is unreal -- sort of like what Levi said way earlier, this has just depressed the fuck out of me because why should I even try making music, when nothing I can do would sound this good
    I am absolutely NOT playing down the production, here, but I think lyrical comparisons to closer are insanely unfavorable. You'd only compare those lyrics to these because they were made by the same person.

I'm not saying I don't like it, but it doesn't grab me like most of his other work. It's kind of boring.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    You're acting like Trent is some kind of lyrical genius while also assuming that he's writing the lyrics for HTDA. Did you hear the lyrics for Getting Smaller?

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    You're acting like Trent is some kind of lyrical genius while also assuming that he's writing the lyrics for HTDA. Did you hear the lyrics for Getting Smaller?
    What about Not So Pretty Now? Oomf. I mean, hey, they can't all be best in class, right?

I wonder how many tracks on this album even have a guitar. None of them are particularly uptempo. Any live drums anywhere? I'm very glad this doesn't sound like a Nine Inch Nails album - although, in a way, it sounds more like what people who don't listen to Nine Inch Nails probably think Nine Inch Nails sounds like.

I said it in a Facebook comment on someone's post, I'll say it again here. I sincerely hope Trent Reznor continues to make music that pisses Nine Inch Nails fans off.

I'm not really sure where "safe" comes into play - what would daring be? A dubstep album? A double disc of instrumentals? A throwback to early 90s Lords of Acid? Moar yelling and faster beats? Unusual time signatures?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post

Agree 100% with ya Wretchedest, on this feeling too safe. I find the album quite boring to be honest. And I was a huge fan of The Space Between and liked the first EP. And only enjoyed On A Wing from the last EP. The production on this new stuff can only take a tune so far. I'm sorry, but I found it repetitive, monotone, and meandering. And I'm tired of Trent & Atticus regurgitating Year Zero sounds over and over again. Sorry to the folks who are enjoying the album, not here to offend or rain on your parade. Just discussing how I, myself, feel toward this release. To each their own. I was hoping for them to surprise me on this album. But it all feels too cold and empty. Not even the music is exciting enough to keep me glued as listening. And I'm into lots of downbeat, more laid back music. And the vocals just feel disposable, no real connection or soul. I find it to be lifeless, machine music.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-19-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    RE: And I'm tired of Trent & Atticus regurgitating Year Zero sounds over and over again

I'm betting you haven't listened to YearZero for a while now, and if you return to that album you'd be amuzed how rocky it sounds compared to this one

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I sincerely hope Trent Reznor continues to make music that pisses Nine Inch Nails fans off.
    yep. The album is great, and to be honest, I definitely like it better than any NIN album since The Fragile. If it pisses people off, that might be amusing?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I sincerely think that they shouldn't have released "An Omen" before the LP, with that and "How Long" we already knew like half of the album, and I would have prefered to listen all the songs now for the first time (and I know that nobody forced me to listen the EP, but that's like telling to a heroin addict that nobody has forced him to get a fix XD).

Regarding Trent's lyrics, I think some people are too harsh, he has also written a lot of good stuff imo, and when you can fill arenas with thousands of fans singing along all of your lyrics, maybe you are not such a bad writer after all.

I was the first laughing with the "arms that flip flop flip flop flip" lyrics back in 2005, but then I learned that it was just a tribute to Pere Ubu's "Navvy" (and the music maybe was a tribute to "Planet Of Sound"? XD), so "Getting Smaller" is cool in my book. XD

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hey, I know I'm far from the only one to ask, but if someone could please pm me the rip without the skips, it would be much appreciated. That's an understatement.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Hey, I know I'm far from the only one to ask, but if someone could please pm me the rip without the skips, it would be much appreciated. That's an understatement.
    Can I second this? I'm confined solely to a netbook for now so trying to listen to that Pitchfork stream all but makes my CPU burst into flames.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've sent you both Q-NeilL's link.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CANTCOMPLAIN View Post
    I've sent you both Q-NeilL's link.
    Thanks a lot man. Unfortunately it's not very often that I buy music, but this will definitely be one of the times that I will. Now to sit back and give this baby a listen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thank you so much. Can't wait to give it a spin.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    So ya, I fuckin' loved it. Came at me very fresh despite having heard 5 of the tracks and not loving them. It's fun and dirty yet buzzy and hypnotic. So glad we finally got a full length proper record. I hope they are done with EP's for a long time to come. This actually has a narrative and a flow that we hadn't seen from them and maybe weren't even sure existed for them as an entity. Everything is so complimentary. It's really is such a wonderful package of songs.
    Last edited by AgentofChaos; 02-20-2013 at 01:10 AM.