Thread: 2013 Music Appreciation Thread

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    heh...Spin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

This is the best pop album of 2013 so far. Far Better than anything coming over from the commercial US airwaves. Its like an updated version of UK Garage and 90s House music but brilliantly produced and does not come across as retro at all. This group are probably the biggest thing in UK charts at moment. Its wonderful that music like this is dominating the charts. A lot of groups trying to mimic this groups sound are also doing well. And getting to number 1. This group are really young too. Like 19 years old. It astonishes me how good they are at that young. Must have a great knowledge of music. They are probably going to be influential on a large number of people. Dance music has been so good this year. Mainly because of young groups like this. Fuck Daft Punk dinosaurs this is where its at.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i can't wait for Mike Doughty's Soul Coughing songs remained. (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/mikedoughty) I love his solo stuff as well but so stoked to see some of my favorite SC songs live when he takes it on tour.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Fuck Daft Punk dinosaurs this is where its at.
    Fucking so right. This Disclosure album kicks ass all day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's some great house. But like anything, the p4k internet hype leaves a bitter taste in my mouth for a while. It has nothing to do with popularity, it just irks me that all these kids who don't really seek music out for themselves are thrown into more underground stuff that they'll likely forget about as soon as the next big thing hits. I say underground because over here in North America, this stuff probably won't get much play anywhere outside of indie dance clubs.

But hell, why am I ranting about this? Must be something in my coffee today. Good album.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

If you're into Esben & the Witch and/or Savages then definitely check this out. I'm loving this more than the new releases from the aformentioned bands myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    kavinsky record is really sick

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Lo-fi goth punkers Grave Babies.

Check out their new album "Crusher"...it's incredibly good.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    On a big Savages kick the last few days.

The Interpol and Joy Division influence is pretty thick obviously, but I'm definitely gonna check these ladies out when they roll through here in September.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Doing the same. The first time I heard Silence Yourself, I dismissed it, but it's grown on me. Their live show seems pretty great too.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The concept behind the new Gov't Mule album is quite interesting, Warren Haynes singing everything as usual on one disc, but guest singers on the 2nd.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Maybe not quite as amazing as History Will Absolve Me but definitely up there.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Vancouver date finally announced! $12.50 A TICKET, ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Have you seen Kate Boy live yet, o_m? If not, you're in for a treat. I saw them play Santos Party House in NYC not long ago and they were fucking awesome. All 3 singles were extended and deviated from the studio versions. It was great. And the new stuff was goddamn phenomenal. One new tune had a refrain along the lines of "It's adrenaline! Adrenaline!" and mark my words, that song will blow you away.

The music video for "In Your Eyes" might be my favorite music video of the year, too. I love it so much.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I haven't yet, but got tickets for this show so super pumped. I'm also jacked that you said the other new material is good, to be honest I haven't heard a track of theirs that I don't dig a lot. Did they mention anything about a full length album?

The place they're playing at here is one of the tiniest venues in the city but with good sound and a decent stage/lighting set up so yeah, super pumped!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow glad I read this thread. I have liked what little I have heard from them. Glad to see they are coming over to North America. Might try and go to the Seattle show Sept. 20 which is a Friday Only $12 insane.

It is at a really tiny place though but never the less would be awesome to see them live. Hope to hear more from these guys in the future.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    The concept behind the new Gov't Mule album is quite interesting, Warren Haynes singing everything as usual on one disc, but guest singers on the 2nd.
    Thanks for posting this. They kind of slipped off my radar for a while, but I will make it a point to track this new album down and take a listen. I saw them at summer camp a few years back and was blown away.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Did they mention anything about a full length album?
    They were clearly very appreciative at that NYC show (their first U.S. date ever I believe), but not much stage banter. That said, I know they're working on their debut album now - pretty sure they're shooting for a Fall release. I have to double-check.

If anyone's on the fence about seeing them live, do it. They played a short set in NYC, but the brilliance of that was they left us wanting more. There were no "lowlights" to the show. No weak points in other words.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Really digging the latest album by Pity Sex.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Ke$ha's "Gold Trans Am" is turning into my belated official 2013 summer song.

Goddamnit, I wish I was kidding.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I heard the new Haim album today. It's pretty good though I still didn't like that video for "Wire".

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Anyone hear the new Danny Brown yet? The first half is alright but man...after track 9, it's extremely killer.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Doesn't Danny Brown have Charli XCX on a track? I just checked out her album and I love it. This track is my jam right now.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Doesn't Danny Brown have Charli XCX on a track? I just checked out her album and I love it. This track is my jam right now.

Yeah! She's on the last track of the album. I enjoyed her album too!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    The new Jay Z is...well, it isn't great. But it's the new Jay Z and some of it is pretty damn catchy.
    I swear, some of these pop and rap songs these days are so fucking catchy that i think the artists must have made a deal with the devil.
    Listen to that holy grail song and see if you can keep from getting it stuck in yer head.
    It's impossible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Had a listen to Cage the Elephants new album, just released! It's quite good, it's only about 35 minutes long but really catchy tunes

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Picked up the new STP and Alter Bridge albums--great stuff.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Ok. Here are my favorite albums so far (the order might change later on):

1. Queens of the Stone Age: ....Like Clockwork
    2. My Bloody Valentine: mbv
    3. Part Time: PDA
    4. The Haxan Cloak: Excavation
    5. MGMT: MGMT
    6. The Knife: Shaking the Habitual
    7. NIN: HM
    8. David Bowie: The Next Day
    9. Depeche Mode: Delta Machine
    10. Pharmakon: Abandon

I'm looking forward to a release from Russian Circles and I need to finish listening to Fuck Buttons and FKA twigs. I'll post my top songs for 2013 later.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Nice list. Glad to see some Pharmakon love. Looking forward to Russian Circles as well.

I'm not quite ready to make a list yet. Heard the Darkside album today and loved it.